shape
carat
color
clarity

BTDT Moms: What is on the Must Have vs. Don't Need List?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy123 said:
Sign up for Amazon MOM's club NEL. Also do the subscribe and save on diapers and then unsubscribe after you placed your order so you can get the best price on diapers!!! :bigsmile:

YES!! I save SO much money buying diapers with the subscribe and save option on Amazon. We're talking 9 cents per diaper! :-o And no sales tax and free shipping to my door. I'm in lurve with Amazon.

The only bad thing is that you can't really have any brand preference because the deals change and different diaper brands go on sale. But all diapers work well for my son, so it's not a problem.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
NEL, I got my swing from http://www.nobetterdeal.com/StoreCatalog/ctl4057/cp48605/cl2/baby I got it for half the price of amazon. I took the risk since I bought one other thing from them before. Just a thought but I don't recommend this site if you want to return because they have a restock fee. I only buy open box items, no as is. Congrats on the upcoming baby!!! Also, some of the twin orgs bring all their used items and sell them at an annual or semi annual sale, so something to look into, in addition to CL.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1312479929|2984150 said:
This is so much appreciated--I'm putting all of these into a spreadsheet with links, so it's definitely going to use. I feel so much better just getting it down into an organized list.

I have a quick question for you ladies: for some questionable items, does it make sense to buy from a store like BRU where I can return very easily? My plan for now is to buy the majority of things I think I'll need (we have lots of extra space, which could be bad!) and then return them later if I end up not using them at all. So something like a swing--I THINK I'll probably end up using it, but some moms don't, so is it okay to buy from somewhere like Amazon or should I go ahead and buy from BRU where I know I can return months later in case we don't end up using it? Does that make sense?

I 100% DO NOT recommend doing this. You only have 90 days from date of purchase (or event if it's a shower) to return to BRU for full price. So you can get burned very easily by buying or registering for things that you wont need until the baby is older. It was SO ANNOYING! But until Buy Buy Baby comes into Braintree there's not much else you can do. Target's return policy sucks as well :(

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate Target for returns because people often forget to give you gift receipts and they cap the dollar amount you can return in a given time period without a receipt.

Also, if you plan to breastfeed, I would limit the amount of breastfeeding supplies you register for. No matter what the LLL ladies tell you , there are a number of reasons that BFing doesn’t work out. There are more strict return policies on these items and you don’t need them straight away so save your money. What you should get right away if you’re planning to BF are nursing pads and some sort of nipple cream and a nursing bra or two. Don’t even bother getting a pump or any pumping supplies until you’re sure BFing is the right thing for you.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Things I loved/had to have:
Dr. Browns Bottles
Dr. Brown formula pitcher
Avent Pacifiers
Moby Wrap
Uppa Baby Vista with the snap 'n go attachment for my snugride
good double pump (I had an Ameda Purely Yours and loved it)
Extra flanges-your nipple size will change as you pump (they get a LOT bigger!)
lanolin to line the pump flanges (increases suction, cuts down friction and is good for the girls)
Milk storage bags
Miracle blanket
Homedics lullabye sound spa (baby crack machine-white noise and ceiling projector)
diapers with a wetness indicator (for when they're little and you're counting the number of times they pee)
A&A muslin swaddles
Gerber cloth diapers-use as burp cloths
Fisher Price bouncy seat with vibrations
overstuffed swivel glider
A nook, iTouch or other multi-function entertainment tool for long pumpings or feedings

Never used/didn't need
Bottle warmer
wipe warmer
car bottle warmer
Swing - Aidan got maybe 8 weeks out of it
Itzbeen-use your phone
My breast friend/boppy -I found I had an easier time with our down alternative pillows

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
puppmom|1312559985|2984837 said:
I hate Target for returns because people often forget to give you gift receipts and they cap the dollar amount you can return in a given time period without a receipt.

Also, if you plan to breastfeed, I would limit the amount of breastfeeding supplies you register for. No matter what the LLL ladies tell you , there are a number of reasons that BFing doesn’t work out. There are more strict return policies on these items and you don’t need them straight away so save your money. What you should get right away if you’re planning to BF are nursing pads and some sort of nipple cream and a nursing bra or two. Don’t even bother getting a pump or any pumping supplies until you’re sure BFing is the right thing for you.

As a general caution, as much as I'm a planner and I wanted to make sure my house was well stocked with the thins I needed, I practiced restraint. I don't advise doing that. It's tempting but there are SO many options out there and every baby is different and you WILL waste money if you do this. You need to find out what works for you. And it was also kind of fun to go out after the baby was born and pick up stuff we wanted/needed at that point.

So if you're someone who doesn't like to waste money then DO NOT BUY AHEAD OF TIME. Stick with what you get at your shower and the fill in the minor gaps if there are any and leave it at that until the baby arrives.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results