shape
carat
color
clarity

bridge or implant, lets talk teeth

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 I want your dentist:lol-2::P2 Seriously, Mine is fine and they're a pretty small office that does some very good work. He knows with me to be on the lookout for additional roots bridges are his specialty. Equally, he's referring me to the proper surgeon if it does require the implant (I'm really hoping no) I thought I mentioned that in the OP but I guess not.

But no, they don't "give out meds". I had always heard the closer to Miami, the more careful some tend to be. Case in point; I whacked my hand (thought I had broken something) and it swelled up like a balloon and couldn't get my ring off, They got the ring off (cut the band AND me!) and and I got a few little stitches...but I got zero for pain meds at urgent care. I got the "you should take Ibuprofen" talk. In their favor they were willing t give me the 400MG prescription tabs which I cannot take:shock:

Pain med paranoia is the other reason why I'm so glad I have a MM card.

Hope all goes well with you, I'm still not eating because anything I put in my mouth hurts like hell an makes me nauseous (including coffee:cry2:) I do try to take in protein drinks when I can.

Yes, my OS doesnt seem to have a problem with handing them out but I have talked to other Docs that have said they are really tightening down on
pain pills and certain drugs. I think they are starting to make docs (in FL) put prescriptions in on-line so that someone (state/FDA/???) can track
prescriptions better and see if you are doc shopping. One doc told me they can order a small amount of pain killers for you but if you need more you
have to go to a pain management Doc that specializes in trying to keep you out of pain. Its all good stuff if you ask me but I do feel for people who
are in constant serious pain. I voted for the MM law lead by John Morgan a few years back hoping that people could find relief without major drugs.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes. I feel sorry for all of us going through this mess! :(2 It really is a pita to be blunt!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just can't wrap my head around the costs. I crown what I can and denture the rest. I know I'll eventually end up with full dentures and I've come to accept it.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Sorry if I've missed anything. I read some, but not all, of the previous posts.

I have a mouthful of bridges and they are permanent, they don't come out, unless the poster above was talking about a different type. I just wasn't blessed with good teeth. I had the first several bridges for about 30 years with no problems. But my gums had receded and etc. so about five years ago I got gum grafts and new bridges because the gum grafts still didn't come up to the base of my teeth. No problems with the new ones, either.

I chose the caps and bridges again because I had such good luck with them the last time, don't want dentures, and the implants were prohibitively expensive. I don't know much else about implants because I dropped the idea after hearing the price.

The one problem I can foresee with the bridges is that if I lose an anchoring tooth on either side of a bridge, I won't be able to keep the bridge. It would either have to be removed or a longer bridge made to cover more toothless sections.

Also, with any dental procedure, I highly recommend getting the happy gas! You will be very eager for your next appointment that way haha. If money's a concern, you might want to look into low cost dental work in a foreign country, as long as you do your homework on them first.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Also, of course they do have to cap the teeth on both sides of a bridge. But I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the capped teeth (in 35+ years). So I don't see any benefit to getting the much more invasive implants just to avoid capping good natural teeth.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I am back! :wavey: Procedure was yesterday and the infection was quite bad. Good news is that they only had to mess with 3 teeth and I have my temp at the moment. Not that I can eat anything....hurts like hell. They had to numb me up to my eyeballs (not kidding!!) because I could still feel when they were in there, so he went whole hog and said we're going to make sure you feel absolutely nothing:lol-2: I could not feel my face for many hours after.

Onto the bridge; This will be a non removable bridge. He told me that for my situation, its the best one. No problems with the teeth around the missing one, and there should be no need for me to actually remove it unless I wanted to do implants for some unknown reason.

We go through this pretty much every visit; He makes the comment how nice my teeth are for someone with so many issues. Like for instance, he was like, your teeth are so white for someone that drinks coffee and doesn't bleach....(true). And the fact that my next cleaning is in July and I really have almost no plaque/tarter. I told him what I put into the waterpik at every cleaning, he's become quite the believer.

Speaking of waterpik, I can't use it on that section of my mouth until I get my permanent bridge. Yuck. I will have to figure out what to do over there. (mouth already feels dirty)....

Thank goodness for decent dental insurance because my portion for all this work is around 2200.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, my OS doesnt seem to have a problem with handing them out but I have talked to other Docs that have said they are really tightening down on
pain pills and certain drugs. I think they are starting to make docs (in FL) put prescriptions in on-line so that someone (state/FDA/???) can track
prescriptions better and see if you are doc shopping. One doc told me they can order a small amount of pain killers for you but if you need more you
have to go to a pain management Doc that specializes in trying to keep you out of pain. Its all good stuff if you ask me but I do feel for people who
are in constant serious pain. I voted for the MM law lead by John Morgan a few years back hoping that people could find relief without major drugs.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes. I feel sorry for all of us going through this mess! :(2 It really is a pita to be blunt!

I got absolutely NO MEDS after the procedure. They did a great job during and numbed the entire mouth and up to my eyes... Vics and codeine are a no, and they said they will not write for demerol.

The fear is real about writing these types of scripts and they told me they would refer me to a pain doc if it became a big issue.

So, I came home and baked....lol I don't usually use MM like that but I wasn't going to work the rest of the day and I knew it, so might as well bake myself silly so I could manage the pain (totally did, was worth it!!)

The good is that I slept extremely well with no munchies. I stayed home, don't remember much was told that I was...talkative though....:twisted:. I def. had cotton mouth (including this morning), so was the only real drawback.

I feel for the people that don't have alternate methods because the pain of this is real. Its disgusting they have docs too scared to write for people in need, and lets be real, the OTC stuff really does nothing in this type of situation.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m glad it’s worked out for you @Arcadian because I actually believe a bridge is the best solution for you.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are starting to make docs (in FL) put prescriptions in on-line so that someone (state/FDA/???) can track prescriptions better and see if you are doc shopping.

What an invasion of privacy! It has to be unconstitutional!

Can you imagine a country sick enough to keep track of people's prescriptions to see if they are "doctor shopping" to relieve pain but unable to keep track of which children from Central America match up with which parents?

AGBF

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an invasion of privacy! It has to be unconstitutional!

Can you imagine a country sick enough to keep track of people's prescriptions to see if they are "doctor shopping" to relieve pain but unable to keep track of which children from Central America match up with which parents?

AGBF

This is more at the state level. Pretty much all states do it though but especially those that have a higher than average drug problem. down here, dr shopping for pain meds is (still) common.

FWIW, I occasionally take bronkaid. Do you know I have to show ID for that and I'm restricted to how many boxes I can buy? that didn't start in Florida, I had to do that in Massachusetts!

The state (FL)is also suing the big pharmacies like CVS and Walgreens because they say the pharmacies are giving out too many opioids. Its not up to the pharmacies on how many a person gets, thats the dr's call.

Plenty of people who really need real pain meds are turning to street drugs because they work and they're available.

Lots of silly shit goes on down here...

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The doctors are under scrutiny as well. "Writing" the Rx is difficult enough. But the reality is that when your license is on the line you become very cautious. That said, most of my hubby's patients don't need the controlled narcotics...so he does not prescribe them. I do agree that the people who suffer most are the ones who genuinely need the drugs for chronic pain management.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wasn't going to get into a debate on what doctors are told to do, although I have opinions. I am talking about the state. I don't want the state between my doctor and me. Nor do I want an insurance company between my doctor and me.

By the way, my insurance company is incompetent. If the system worked well, I could get millions in damages for having to deal with their stupidity in dealing with my family's medications. Unfortunately, they are not penalized for gross and unnatural stupidity and making so many errors that it is difficult for anyone to count to a number that high. Someone has to die in order to get them to pay up.

AGBF

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad things worked out @Arcadian. It should be pretty obvious at this point I wish I had gone with a bridge and I may end up with a bridge in
the end if this bone graft doesnt take. I have a feeling the infection I had messed up my bone. I'm also of the age where I have to take calcium (doc
prescribed) to help my bones. I'm not usually pessimistic but, I just dont think this implant is going to work out for me.
I cant believe you (or anyone) can handle it without pain killers. I was in such pain when they removed my tooth and put the implant in that
I cried when I went back and saw the OS (and that was with pain killers). Seriously, I could not get on top of the pain. I can see how someone
with chronic pain would be desperate for relief. It was eye-opening to say the least. I also see how someone could become addicted to pain killers.
Fortunately, with the length of time (or amount I have taken), I must not be the additive type because I didnt fill the last script he gave me for pain
killers. My nurse SIL says that it usually takes a longer period of time to become addicted but I'm sure it all depends on the person.

Hoping that the bridges go in without any difficulty. I think they are the easy part and its probably all downhill from here! So wish I was at that point!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad things worked out @Arcadian. It should be pretty obvious at this point I wish I had gone with a bridge and I may end up with a bridge in
the end if this bone graft doesnt take. I have a feeling the infection I had messed up my bone. I'm also of the age where I have to take calcium (doc
prescribed) to help my bones. I'm not usually pessimistic but, I just dont think this implant is going to work out for me.
I cant believe you (or anyone) can handle it without pain killers. I was in such pain when they removed my tooth and put the implant in that
I cried when I went back and saw the OS (and that was with pain killers). Seriously, I could not get on top of the pain. I can see how someone
with chronic pain would be desperate for relief. It was eye-opening to say the least. I also see how someone could become addicted to pain killers.
Fortunately, with the length of time (or amount I have taken), I must not be the additive type because I didnt fill the last script he gave me for pain
killers. My nurse SIL says that it usually takes a longer period of time to become addicted but I'm sure it all depends on the person.

Hoping that the bridges go in without any difficulty. I think they are the easy part and its probably all downhill from here! So wish I was at that point!

woke up this morning and most of the pain was gone. I think one side has a little high point that needs to be filed down, I will ask them Monday morning. I actually ate breakfast today instead of having to drink it. right now (8pm), jaw is sore so will have some yogurt and avocado and call it a day.

I probably would have been one really messed up person if not for the fact I have MM card. It didn't take away all the pain because I didn't want to stay baked off my ass, but did allow me to manage the pain...its just so messed up though... because its the type of pain that will drive you to do something you might not want to in order to get rid it.

I'm hoping and praying your implant works out especially considering all the crap you've been through thus far. And I will absolutely admit I'm glad my dentist went very conservative. He's a great kid, really does try to do the best for the patient. They do scripts by hand :eek-2: and maybe thats the reason why they don't want to anything to do with pain meds and will refer to another doc, or, dosen't want to deal. Was in CVS and there's a sign outside the pharmacy section of CVS that says they don't dispense vicodin or oxycodone nor is it kept on the premises (and I don't live in a bad area!). I never noticed it but I guess, you don't unless you're looking for it!)
It would not surprise me that more of them do this considering what the state is doing (stupid asses...)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Arcadian...I'll let you know how it goes in August when I go back to see if this graft has healed. At that point, it will be about a year I've been
missing a tooth. Ugh...so tired of chewing on one side only. I'm glad you are able to tolerate the pain with a little help (MM). Wish my pain tolerance
was higher. I swear the pain I was in with my tooth was worse than child delivery :oops:. I sound like a drama queen but I'm truly not! :cheeky:

Keep us posted on how the rest of the process goes with you. Fingers crossed all goes smoothly!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results