carat
color
clarity

Brides Say Their Engagement Rings Were Lost Or Ruined By Kay

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Brides Say Their Engagement Rings Were Lost Or Ruined By

I was going to share this too. Really really bad PR. Thanks buzzfeed for the news, though. Kay's is bad jewelry store. In other news, sky blue!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel sent me the link to this article... so sad. :blackeye:

A couple of years ago, a guy I worked with at the clinic was about to propose to his long time girlfriend and was asking me about where he should look. He was dead set against online anything, so I told him to go to Diamonds Direct... Long story short, he ended up going to freakin' Kay's and overpaying for a 1.5 ct stone and POS pave setting. :: sigh :: I sincerely hope he never has the same experience as those in the article. ::)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good grief. Some of those stories are just unbelievably awful!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

I feel so bad when I read some of the stories. However, I know people who prefer these chain stores to purchasing online. :wall: It's crazy considering that they've lost stones, diamonds falling out, etc.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

My original ering was from Kay. Worthless piece of junk. I had them size it down, they wouldn't tell me when it was in, I had to keep driving up to the store, an hour away, to check...I think I made three trips, took about a month, for it to be sized. When I finally got it, the "sizing" job was like if you took taffy and stretched it out and then stuck it back together. When I questioned them about it I left in tears w/them basically laughing at me as I walked away. I went back again later b/c when I got home and was looking at it (and sobbing) I noticed that there was a scratch on the top shank of the ring next to one of the little diamond chips. They informed me I was 1. picky 2. a baby 3. a complainer 4. never satisfied and that's what happens when you don't spend a lot of money on a ring, you get what you pay for and I didn't pay for quality.

Kay can suck it.

ETA oh, and the center stone fell out-granted it was so small I didn't even notice right away but still. It fell out.

Now I have my Princess Bride AVC three stone wedding set sooooooo guess who got the best end of the deal finally? :praise:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat|1461523304|4023118 said:
My original ering was from Kay. Worthless piece of junk. I had them size it down, they wouldn't tell me when it was in, I had to keep driving up to the store, an hour away, to check...I think I made three trips, took about a month, for it to be sized. When I finally got it, the "sizing" job was like if you took taffy and stretched it out and then stuck it back together. When I questioned them about it I left in tears w/them basically laughing at me as I walked away. I went back again later b/c when I got home and was looking at it (and sobbing) I noticed that there was a scratch on the top shank of the ring next to one of the little diamond chips. They informed me I was 1. picky 2. a baby 3. a complainer 4. never satisfied and that's what happens when you don't spend a lot of money on a ring, you get what you pay for and I didn't pay for quality.

Kay can suck it.

ETA oh, and the center stone fell out-granted it was so small I didn't even notice right away but still. It fell out.

Now I have my Princess Bride AVC three stone wedding set sooooooo guess who got the best end of the deal finally? :praise:

Go post that on their Facebook. They are getting ripped a new one over there

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now Kay has a Sofia Vergara line... What does this chick NOT plug??!!
44ac8d4eac39e18d378babe2be75becd.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wish Kay's and all other chain stores would stop with the warranty BS. People(buyers) put to much emphasis and on them and
certainly give Kay's much more credit than they should.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

My local bench has a GIA trained appraiser who handled an appraisal of my ring for insurance purposes.
She praised the Ritani work and said it's a shame how many cheaply made rings she services that were bought from the mall. Clients come back in repeatedly replacing the melee stones that fall out. She said they do not use enough gold to properly support and protect the stones.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock

tyty333|1461686854|4023804 said:
I wish Kay's and all other chain stores would stop with the warranty BS. People(buyers) put to much emphasis and on them and certainly give Kay's much more credit than they should.

Agreed, if I had a dollar for every time I heard someone looking at buying a ring that they wanted to buy at Kay's, or Jared's, or People's, or other chain stores because of their "lifetime warranty", I'd have enough to buy myself a lovely new bauble (not from Kay's). I have also met people who keep going back after TERRIBLE service and repairs because they don't want to "void the warranty".

I am sorry so many people are having issues. On the one hand it is buyer beware, on the other hand, these are items people put a lot of emotional weight on and often that the wearer did not choose it in the first place. Places like Kay's prey on people who just don't know what they don't know.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Well, and too...it's not like there are PS commercials, PS advertisements in magazines..GOG doesn't run ads in the Sunday paper out of the big city here. SK/VC etc. Kay does. Greenberg's does. I found PS randomly when I was looking up moissanite-and I heard about moissanite on Ebay, while looking for a new engagement ring. If you don't know something's out there..you kind of take things at face value, and that's just how it is. Heck, several years ago, BPS (before pricescope) I asked in a jewelry store about having gemstones cut for a ring and they looked at me like I was dumber'n a box of rocks. "you can't do that" "the cost omg you'd spend a few thousand". After finding PS I crowed at JD that I was right and wanted to go back to those stores and tell them they were idiots. I've been in stores now and they are completely flabbergasted by my AVC's, and my chrysoberyl throws them all out of whack. You don't know what you don't know until someone tells you or you stumble across it!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Makes me nauseous.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

Is this true about the Signet Group? :confused:
(Read Alex comments)

image_4389.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

About 15 years ago I purchased a round diamond bezel necklace from Kay jeweler, .25 ct. Two years later I upgraded to .50. For some reasonn I can't remember I had to take it in for something. It came back and looked different but they assured me it was my necklace. At 5 years I decided to remove the diamond from the setting and put it into a ring for my daughter. When they took it out they weighed it because it looked too small to be .50 and they accused me of switching the necklace and trying to rip them off. It weighed in at .32. I brought the paperwork and proof I bought a .50 but the store manager wanted nothing to do with me. It took several months but I worked up the Sterling chain till I wrote the president. I got a full credit ( big deal) to spend on something else. Not money back. Credit. Like I wanted anything there. At some point an employee had switched out my necklace for a smaller one and I didn't notice. Shady.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

AprilBaby|1461731060|4024057 said:
About 15 years ago I purchased a round diamond bezel necklace from Kay jeweler, .25 ct. Two years later I upgraded to .50. For some reasonn I can't remember I had to take it in for something. It came back and looked different but they assured me it was my necklace. At 5 years I decided to remove the diamond from the setting and put it into a ring for my daughter. When they took it out they weighed it because it looked too small to be .50 and they accused me of switching the necklace and trying to rip them off. It weighed in at .32. I brought the paperwork and proof I bought a .50 but the store manager wanted nothing to do with me. It took several months but I worked up the Sterling chain till I wrote the president. I got a full credit ( big deal) to spend on something else. Not money back. Credit. Like I wanted anything there. At some point an employee had switched out my necklace for a smaller one and I didn't notice. Shady.

Ugh! That's awful! :angryfire:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results