shape
carat
color
clarity

Bottled Water

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Have to say that I love bottled water. It doesn't taste metallic and I'll gladly pay the money to not have that flavor. Plus I always have a couple cases of it in my car for whenever I want it or in case of emergency (we don't get cell signal between towns around here and people can last a lot longer without food than without water).

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The tap water in my old apartment was terrible. It not only tasted bad and smelled funny, but also looked yellow/orange from time to time. The yellow color could stay for a whole day. When that happens, I cannot shower, and the restaurants in the town cannot serve iced water either. :D

Now in the new place we drink filtered water. Any water that goes into the dishes is also filtered water. The funny thing is, my husband was not able to tell the difference between bad water and good water until not long ago.. He thought I was crazy. Now I get to say, "I am always right!" :D

My fish seems to like the bottled Poland Spring water more than the tap water. He has been sick for several days, and I decided to give him a treat with Poland Spring. :tongue:

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Cookie|1312397216|2983282 said:

The tap water in my old apartment was terrible. It not only tasted bad and smelled funny, but also looked yellow/orange from time to time. The yellow color could stay for a whole day. When that happens, I cannot shower, and the restaurants in the town cannot serve iced water either. :D

My fish seems to like the bottled Poland Spring water. He has been sick for several days, and I decided to give him a treat with Poland Spring. :tongue:

oh, I forgot about the fish! I can't even tell you how many fish were killed by my husband topping off the tank with tap water instead of bottled water :nono:

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1312397361|2983285 said:
Cookie|1312397216|2983282 said:

My fish seems to like the bottled Poland Spring water. He has been sick for several days, and I decided to give him a treat with Poland Spring. :tongue:

oh, I forgot about the fish! I can't even tell you how many fish were killed by my husband topping off the tank with tap water instead of bottled water :nono:

The tap water can certainly kill the fish, if you don't treat the water right after you add it. I learned that the hard way. :oops: You could get the water treatment powder/liquid from any pet or fish store. The fish store people said the water treatment stuff still should be added even if it is bottled water. Not sure how correct they are.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We used to get bottled water delivered in those 5-gal bottles on a huge truck that produced nasty diesel exhaust.
IIRC the bill was around $25 per month.
I'd also buy pints of water by the case for the car.

Then I read about the zillions of tons of plastic water bottles that will last zillions of years building up in landfills so I thought I'd do my part to NOT be part of this particular problem.

I bought a Reverse Ossmosis (RO) water filter to filter our city's tap water.
The system was $300 at Home Depot and filters are about $50 per year.
I installed it myself.
Now I refill a metal bottle for drinking water in the car.

Since I plan to live many years it comes out to be MUCH cheaper than bottled water and our RO water is much more pure and tasteless than the city tap water it is made from
Our guests often volunteer a comment on how good our water tastes. (I think they really mean it's tasteless.)
You can even use RO water in your aquarium without further treatment.
It is almost distilled so you can use it in your iron.

I encourage you to consider an RO system.
It is only for treating drinking water at one sink and comes with a separate faucet.
It is not for bathrooms, laundry or landscaping.

Disclaimer: RO systems use water to clean water just like your dish and clothes washer.
Some water (I think around $15% does down the drain).

00RO.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO...plastic bottled water is a big rip off and people think it is healthy drinking water?.. :confused: think about the chemicals that the plastic releases when its been sitting in the 100+ * heat for hours in your car and during transportation to the store... :knockout:

i only drink bottled water when i have no other choice.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I would rather use my time thinking about how a peanut could kill me or how my body becomes inflamed due to natural particles in the air. In ten years bottled water could be deemed perfectly safe. The only thing that is certain is that we will all die one day. Live life and not in fear of what a bottle of water might do.

Also have you noticed that society is rarely if ever attacking bottled soda or sports drinks or even bottled juice?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I rarely drink anything bottle in plastic, mainly because i can taste the plastic in bottle water, and i dont drink soda or sports drinks. We have a juicer and we buy juice in glass containers. I drink a LOT of water so bottled water is wasted on me! We have a RO system at home and i use my kleen kanteens.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The only place I ever used bottled water was Amsterdam. There, you could see tiny white particles, pieces of guck, settling out into the bottom of the glass. It was junk dumped into the Rhine in Germany & our tap water came from the Rhine. Truly gross. Otherwise, it's all b.s. & marketing as the vid said, waste of money imho.

Our well water here tested positive for coliform when we bought the house so we installed a purification system for $1200, with 3 filters: one for bitsy sand & gravel, another for fertilizers & herbicides, & a UV light to ace the bacteria. Tastes good & the best bucks we ever spent!

I loved the "water cafe," hilarious. Human beings are such a stitch. Spider water, holy cats!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkly Blonde|1312405113|2983394 said:
I would rather use my time thinking about how a peanut could kill me or how my body becomes inflamed due to natural particles in the air. In ten years bottled water could be deemed perfectly safe. The only thing that is certain is that we will all die one day. Live life and not in fear of what a bottle of water might do.

Also have you noticed that society is rarely if ever attacking bottled soda or sports drinks or even bottled juice?
i hate soda in plastic too. i like the olden day 16 oz tall glass bottled Pepsi.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Sniffle. I miss the good water at my old apartment! (And pretty much nothing else.) There's some reservoir near Mill Creek up north of Seattle- not the city I lived in, but same reservoir I think- that has amazing, amazing yummy water. No funky flavors at all. Didn't turn my kitty-water bowl pink with algae. Definitely as good as bottled.

Now, we're back to yucky water + very old pipes. Not so tasty! Extremely strong chlorine in this area too- wow! You can really, really smell it when you run a bath, or in a jug of water. Mostly I use the filtered water out of the fridge.

That RO system looks pretty cool Kenny. I too hate buying bottled anything, and DH really hates the tap water now, I'll mention it to him at least as a possibility.

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
We use the PUR system. The one you attach to the sink.

We hope to have the RO system set up in the near future.

I drink Gatorade/Powerade so I just reuse the bottles for the water when I go anywhere.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I got all squeamish when they showed the spider in the water. If that was me I probably would've screamed in horror.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1312399143|2983316 said:
I encourage you to consider an RO system.
Kenny
some of the koi hobbyist also use the RO system.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a Culligan RO system and love it. I use it for cooking and drinking. If I could get a huge one for showering and washing clothes I would.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Doesn't Reverse Osmosis take all the nutrients out too Leaving the water "dead"?
We have the Enagic Alkaline water filter. Good for many uses. Also makes acidic water which helps heal and disinfect wounds and many other positive medicinal things. And of course ridding us of plastic bottles since we don't drink soda and juice our fruits.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wakingdreams53|1312432023|2983787 said:
Doesn't Reverse Osmosis take all the nutrients out too Leaving the water "dead"?
We have the Enagic Alkaline water filter. Good for many uses. Also makes acidic water which helps heal and disinfect wounds and many other positive medicinal things. And of course ridding us of plastic bottles since we don't drink soda and juice our fruits.

I think RO takes almost everything out except the H20.
It is a mechanical process not a chemical one.
I think the only thing I want in my water besides H20 might fluoride if I had kids.

Of all the gunk in water besides H20 I think some is good and some is bad.
I'll take my chances; I'd rather get no bad gunk and miss some good gunk which I can get in foods.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1312406574|2983417 said:
I rarely drink anything bottle in plastic, mainly because i can taste the plastic in bottle water, and i dont drink soda or sports drinks. We have a juicer and we buy juice in glass containers. I drink a LOT of water so bottled water is wasted on me! We have a RO system at home and i use my kleen kanteens.

Love kleen kanteens...have a few. Very useful and good for the environment!

I've been drinking bottled water for over 10 years. I LOVE BOTTLED WATER! I don't know why. I grew up with good drinking water, and drank a ton of that, but always had water with me when I went out.

When DH and I moved in together.. the water was.. and IS terrible. I hate it. I have tried drinking tap water here...nah. We used to buy cases of water but I could go through 4-5 bottles a day, so that was really bad. I now buy the gallon sizes. We did try a brita filter for a bit and I still didn't like it. It's my one terrible vice. It's hard to break habits though.

If I had to choose any liquid to drink for the rest of my life it would be water. And then skim milk. But other than that... I can live without everything else.

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
We have an RO system in our house and love it! I hardly drink anything besides water, every morning I full up my personal 2 litre jug and bring it with me to work. It's a great way to actually see and keep track of how much I'm drinking. I feel great knowing that I'm doing what I can to lower my carbon footprint.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results