shape
carat
color
clarity

Bomb Expodes in Manhattan. At Least 29 Injured.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bomb exploded in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan overnight, and a second homemade device was found (unexploded). There were "significant injuries", but the mayor said that no one was likely to die from his injuries. He said that there was no indication that there were ties to terrorism. Obviously the story has of yet to unfold.

Link...http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/18/nyregion/chelsea-explosion-new-york-city.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-ab-top-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

AGBF

mapofwheredevicesfound.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The circle on the lower part of the map is on West 23rd Street. The circle on the upper part of the map is on West 27th Street. Just to give you an idea of how far apart the bombs were from each other.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's terrible. :(sad
Thanks for letting us know Deb. I am sort of on a news blackout and haven't been watching or reading the news at all lately. So disgusted by it. So I didn't even hear about this. Just awful.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So scary, I'm glad no lives were lost as a result.

There was a college kid that had his foot mutilated by a device he stepped on in Central Park back in July. The police brushes it off as a homemade device, just someone playing mad explosive scientist. This makes me think they are connected as terrorism.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
We were in Manhattan when it happened, but we were uptown at the Beacon.

I think what happened in NJ was related but I'm not gonna scream Islamic terrorists, like some people are {not saying anyone here is, but it's a popular theory}. Every nut with a grudge could be responsible.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Thankfully, all victims were released from the hospital.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1474226759|4078126 said:

This is an excerpt from the article Anna linked:

"The mall stabbing was one of several incidents reported nationwide Saturday.In New York City, an explosion ripped through the Chelsea neighborhood, leaving 29 injured. A second suspicious device was found a few blocks away, authorities say. In neighboring New Jersey, an explosion went off in a garbage can on the route of a Marine Corps charity run. Thousands of people were about to participate in the 5K race in Seaside Park. No injuries were reported."

The marine run was the New Jersey incident Amber referred to.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1474226759|4078126 said:
Also stabbings in MN mall.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/18/us/minnesota-mall-stabbing/

There's a large Somalian population in the state, but I don't know if that is related. There have been recent arrests for terroistic activities from that population.

This one is apparently related to terrorism:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/18/us/minnesota-mall-stabbing/index.html

Thankfully, an off duty policeman with a concealed carry weapon stopped the maniac before he hurt or killed more people. The mall security is unarmed.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And...CNN this morning's headline:

NY, NJ bombings: Man wanted ID'd, terror cell likely involved, officials say

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/19/us/new-york-explosion-investigation/index.html

"Bombings in New York and New Jersey over the weekend -- as well as the discovery of several unexploded devices -- have led authorities to believe there may be a terror cell at work in those two states, law enforcement officials told CNN Monday."

Thinking of our NYC and NJ friends.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard this on NPR on the way to work this morning. I hope PSers in the affected areas stay safe and that no others are harmed.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amber St. Clare|1474219756|4078098 said:
Every nut with a grudge could be responsible.

Sometimes it's scary to realize that the main thing that causes safety is just everyone individually deciding not to kill each other.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1474293281|4078340 said:
And...CNN this morning's headline:

NY, NJ bombings: Man wanted ID'd, terror cell likely involved, officials say

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/19/us/new-york-explosion-investigation/index.html

"Bombings in New York and New Jersey over the weekend -- as well as the discovery of several unexploded devices -- have led authorities to believe there may be a terror cell at work in those two states, law enforcement officials told CNN Monday."

Thinking of our NYC and NJ friends.

Thank you for the update, diamondseeker.

Deb

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Suspect arrested after shoot out with police in NJ. Suspect has shoulder wound. Two police shot, one critical.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Both officers are okay.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
He is a naturalized US citizen from Afghanistan.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1474295449|4078353 said:
Amber St. Clare|1474219756|4078098 said:
Every nut with a grudge could be responsible.

Sometimes it's scary to realize that the main thing that causes safety is just everyone individually deciding not to kill each other.

I was just saying this yesterday to my dh. It is scary and sometimes feels like we are all just hanging on by a thread. :(sad

Interesting editorial FYI.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/life-during-wartime-1474328569

By BRET STEPHENS
Sept. 19, 2016 7:42 p.m. ET

Long after I returned to the U.S. after living in Jerusalem I kept thinking about soft targets. The peak-hour commuter train that took me from Westchester to Grand Central. The snaking queue outside the security checkpoint at La Guardia Airport. The theater crowds near Times Square.

All of these places were vulnerable and most of them undefended. Why, I wondered, weren’t they being attacked?

This was in late 2004, when Jack Bauer was an American hero and memories of 9/11 were vivid. Yet friends who were nervous about boarding a flight seemed nonchalant about much more plausible threats. Maybe they expected the next attack would be on the same grand scale of 9/11. Maybe they thought the perpetrators would be supervillains in the mold of Osama bin Laden, not fried-chicken vendors like Ahmad Khan Rahimi, the suspected 23rd Street bomber.

Life in Israel had taught me differently. Between January 2002, when I moved to the country, and October 2004, when I left, there were 85 suicide bombings, which took the lives of 543 Israelis. Palestinian gun attacks claimed hundreds of additional victims. In a small country it meant that most everyone knew one of those victims, or knew someone who knew someone.

To this day the bombings are landmarks in my life. March 2002: Cafe Moment, just down the street from my apartment, where my future wife had arranged to meet a friend who canceled at the last minute. Eleven dead. September 2003: Cafe Hillel, another neighborhood hangout, where seven people were murdered, including 20-year-old Nava Applebaum and her father, David, on the eve of her wedding. January 2004: Bus No. 19 on Gaza Street, which I witnessed close-up before the ambulances arrived. Another 11 dead and 13 seriously injured, including Jerusalem Post reporter Erik Schechter.

Living in those circumstances had a strange dichotomous quality. Things were absolutely fine until they absolutely weren’t. Memories of bombings mix with other memories: jogs around the walls of the old city, weekend outings to the beach, the daily grind of editing a newspaper. The sense of normality was achieved through an effort of will and a touch of fatalism. Past a certain point, fearing for your own safety becomes exhausting. You give it up.

But it wasn’t just psychological adjustment that made life livable. Israelis recoiled after each bombing, mourned every victim, then picked themselves up. Cafe Moment reopened weeks after it was destroyed. The army and police could not provide constant security, so every restaurant and supermarket hired an armed guard, every mall and hotel set up metal detectors, and people went out. More than a few attacks were stopped by lone Israeli civilians who prevented massacres through the expedient of a handgun.

As for the Israeli government, after much hesitation it did what governments are supposed to do: It fought. In April 2002 then-Prime Minister Ariel Sharon sent Israeli tanks into Jenin, Bethlehem and every other nest of Palestinian terror. He trapped Yasser Arafat in his little palace in Ramallah. He ordered the killing of Hamas’s leaders in Gaza.

All this was done in the teeth of overwhelming international condemnation and the tut-tutting of experts who insisted only a “political solution” could break the “cycle of violence.” Instead, the Israeli military broke that cycle by building a wall and crippling the Palestinians’ capacity to perpetrate violence. In 2002 there were 47 bombings. In 2007 the number had come down to one.

What’s the lesson here for Americans? This past weekend’s terrorist attacks hold at least two. One is that there is a benefit for a society that allows competent and responsible adults to carry guns, like the off-duty police officer who shot the knife-wielding jihadist in St. Cloud, Minn. Another is that there is an equal benefit in the surveillance methods that allowed police in New York and New Jersey to swiftly identify and arrest Mr. Rahimi before his bombing spree took any lives.

These are lessons the political left in this country doesn’t want to hear, lest they unsettle established convictions that weapons can only cause violence, not stop it, and that security is the antithesis of, not a precondition to, civil liberty.

But hear them they will. The eclipse of al Qaeda by Islamic State means the terrorist threat is evolving from elaborately planned spectaculars such as 9/11 or the 2004 Madrid train bombings to hastily improvised and executed blood orgies of the sort we saw this year in Nice and Orlando. As attacks become more frequent and closer to everyday life, public tolerance for liberal pieties will wane. Not least among the casualties of the Palestinian intifada was the Israeli left.

Living in Israel in those crowded years taught me that free people aren’t so easily cowed by terror, and that jihadists are no match for a determined democracy. But it also taught me that democracies rarely muster their full reserves of determination until they’ve been bloodied one time too many.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Relevant article, Missy.

As a small government citizen, I'm fine with the guns but cringe at the surveillance. However, it seems necessary. Too bad.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results