shape
carat
color
clarity

Black Bridesmaid dreses in the Summer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Melibk

Shiny_Rock
I need some opinions. I really like the idea of tea length strapless black bridesmaid dresses.

My wedding is in AUgust near the beach, but not AT the beach. It is at a fancy resort. THe ceremony will be outside and the reception is pretty formal in a ballroom.

What are your opinions on black bridesmaid dresses in Summer? My friend did it and I think it looked nice.

Thank you!!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I say do what you want!
2.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Black just oozes class, no matter what time of the year! I''m with flopkins!!
36.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
That''s the look I''m going for and my wedding is 9/8, so it''s technically still the summer. I love that look
1.gif

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
I''m doing knee-length black dresses too, for my May wedding... I love the look! I think if your wedding is formal enough, it will be fine... though I would probably avoid heavier fabrics and stick with something lighter, maybe less structured. Another advantage: you can easily find "little black dresses" off-the-rack (mine are White House/Black Market) and save some money on alterations... your bridesmaids will thank you, I promise!
31.gif

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Go for it! I was at a black and white wedding in June...granted it was 1994 so you can imagine the dresses...but they were black and it was lovely! I agree with Ephemery...you''ll have a much easier time shopping and your girls will definitely be able to wear them again!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had long black BM dresses at my August 12th wedding. I think they are elegant!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
If the ceremony is outside I would just stay away from polyester or poly-acetate and go w/ something that is silk or even a nice cotton (J. Crew has a polished cottn) as the synthetics don''t breathe and in the sun the girls could really roast, even w/ tea length dresses, since black fabrics conduct heat.

I wore navy stapless tea length for an indoor wedding in Nov. and the dress still got toasty- I can''t imagine if I had been standing in the sun!

cara

Ideal_Rock
Sounds great! The not-full length will make it work for summer. Of course non-synthetic is really nice, but just compare the synthetic dress to a tux before condemning it. if you were roasting, dtnyc, imagine the guys!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 12:47:50 PM
Author: cara
Sounds great! The not-full length will make it work for summer. Of course non-synthetic is really nice, but just compare the synthetic dress to a tux before condemning it. if you were roasting, dtnyc, imagine the guys!
Tuxes are supposed to be wool and depending on the weight of the wool (Super 150, etc.) At least wool "breathes." Now I am not familiar with the quality of rental tuxes as my DH bought a tux a year before our wedding and wore it in our wedding and all of the guys wore their own as well. It was a great investment as he has worn it more than 1/2 dozen times since buying it so it paid for itself in a year.
I know from shopping for the tux w/ him that there are lighter or "tropical" weight wools out there.

Also tuxes aren''t as closely fitted as BM dresses. I think about how every single one I have worn has "boning" in it and in the heat they are not good.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Looks nice, but seriously, consider the temps. With the summer temps we get out here, adding a black dress would likely mean lots of feinting BMs.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I think it would look great. J crew does an embossed cotton that''s really nice in person, and I think they''re on sale now in strapless:
Link! Also as a halter
63193_BK0001.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think black tea-length is ALWAYS a good idea--regardless of the season! They will always look classic and chic, and will double as a "little black dress" for the BMs post-wedding (I would LOVE this if I were a BM)!!

I love the J. Crew dresses that mercoledi posted, gorgeous.

Minny

Rough_Rock
My bridesmaids wore black tea-length dresses for my destination wedding in Puerto Rico (it wasn''t technically summer, but it was about 75-80 degrees) and I think they looked great!! I do agree with a previous poster though about the fabric -- we made sure to choose a lighter "flowier" fabric rather than a stiff shiny heavier one (can you tell I don''t know much about fabrics.....)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results