shape
carat
color
clarity

black bm dresses?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,
I''ve been thinking of having black bm dresses. What does everyone think of that? I thought they were classy and would complement the wedding dress well. Also, I like the idea that they are re-wearable for the bm''s. I''m thinking cocktail type dresses so knee length, maybe w/a colored ribbon around the waist. I have some ideas but nothing definite yet. My FI asked if it would look like a funeral.
40.gif
I certainly didn''t think so but what do you think?
Wedding will be in September.. outdoor ceremony, indoor reception. Colors are purple and green so maybe a ribbon in one of those colors..not sure yet.

Thanks!

sparkel

Shiny_Rock
Dixie,

I think that black bm dresses are super trendy right now, not at all funerial. I work in a flowershop and it has been a very hip choice of late to have black bm dresses. I also think that by adding the coloured ribbon to their dresses that you will be jazzing it up a little. In addition you can also use their bouquets to add a complimentary spalsh of colour to their ensemble. Maybe you could also do some other small little touches of black in addition to your other wedding colours. Also I think that the type of dress you described is very flirty and will be very classy. Maybe something like the pic I attached but with a shorter hemline. Not exactly what I''m seeing in my mind but you get the idea.

Great idea in my opinion.
Cheers, Rebecca

edressme_1933_1850861.jpg

sarie_j

Shiny_Rock
These are two that I looked at for my own BMS - Just a couple more ideas

bmaid_1.jpg

sarie_j

Shiny_Rock
Sorry -- Only good enough to attach one at a time !! ;-P

bmaid_2.jpg

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Hi dixie,

I''m also having black bridesmaids dresses. I was also worried about it looking too funereal, as I''d seen a picture in a mag with the BMs wearing long, formal black dresses and it looked so morose. But my MOH pointed out that a chic, knee length dress would look more elegant and ''cocktail'' than that. Also, if the bridesmaids are carrying colourful flowers (mine will carry red ones), it will really lift the look. My BMs will get to choose the style of their dresses (halter-neck, strapless, etc.) so they can wear it after the wedding. Every woman needs a drop-dead elegant black dress, after all!

I think as long as the dresses aren''t *too* formal, and you add a zing of colour in there, it will look fabulous.

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
I think that black cocktail length BM dresses look elegant! I don''t think it would look like a "funeral" at all, especially with the addition of a contrasting ribbon around the waist and colorful bouquets! I found some examples of dresses that sound like what you''re describing, and I think that it would look great!

Watters Style 1652 (Comes in black with the option for various color sashes- including green and purple!):

watters1652.jpg

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
Jim Hjelm style JH5657T (Also available in black with various sash color options- including green, but no purple):

JH5657T.jpg

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
And Jim Hjelm style JH5702T (Also available in black with various sash color options- including purple and green):

JH5702T.jpg

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
And that''s just a few that I was able to find by doing a quick search! I think it''s an adorable, fun look- and your BM''s would definitely be able to wear the dresses again (which I''m sure they''d appreciate
2.gif
)! Like I said, I wouldn''t worry about them looking funeral-like at all!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got married in August in So Cal nearly 17 years ago, and I did black cocktail dresses off the rack from the dressy dress dept in Neimans. The style looked good on all the body types, looked good style wise with my gown, and the girls wore them again (I know because I attended a couple events and one of my bm''s had hers on, others told me they wore theirs to the theater or dinner party)...I think style and length are important in how it looks, but black is certainly a good option, in mho. I look at my photos and still think overall the look is good. The dress was not cheap, 350.00 or so almost 17 years ago, but I still think it was worth it. I kept my flowers white and pink, and it looked really nice...

zekele

Rough_Rock
I think black BM dresses are classy and elegant and the re-wearable factor is a definite plus! If I were a bridesmaid I think black would be one of my preferred colors, actually - an excuse to buy a "little black dress" :)

This might sound silly but I actually really liked the black BM dresses in Spider-Man 2. I''ve tried finding pictures of them online, so far with no luck...

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I love black BM dresses. I also see them as classy, elegant, and timeless. They are not too showy, and not too distracting. I don''t think they look funeral at all, especially not when you add a little bit of light color to them. Plus, they make a great contrast for your dress too. One of my favorite black dresses in my closet is actually a bridesmaid dress. It was one of the most flattering bridesmaid dresses I have ever seen, and every time I wear it out people want to know where I got it. They get a little bit of a shock when I say it was a bridesmaid dress.

I really don''t think you can go wrong with black. I had no idea what sort of colors I wanted for my wedding because I love all colors, so I let my bridesmaids put their heads together on dresses. They asked for black, and here is what my MOH picked out. now we are doing black and white for pretty much everything with ssome color accents in the flowers, cake, etc.

lilblackbmand dress.jpg

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I''m getting married in September and am doing tea-length black bridesmaid dresses! I love the look and the fact that the girls will be able to rewear them. We got ours at Macys for $50-$70 (two had to be bought out of town and weren''t on sale). I don''t think it will look like a funeral at all. I think black is elegant.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I started seeing black BM dresses in the early 90s and have never thought it strange or out of place. Every girl needs the perfect little black dress, you''re just helping your BMs find theirs!

junecricket

Rough_Rock
I was a bridesmaid in a wedding last October, and the bride had us wearing black tea length dresses with a raspberry colored sash at the waist. It looked fantastic and really made the flowers pop against the black.

However, as far as re-wearability goes, I doubt I''ll ever wear that dress again. While the colored sash tied the dresses into the wedding color scheme, it also makes it look a little too much like a bridesmaid''s dress. If the dress had been all black, I would wear it again in a heartbeat!

Of course, if you use a ribbon tied around the waist to add color, then it can just be removed after the wedding and, voila! Instant cocktail dress.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
In mho, if you can find a great lbd at a retail store and not a bridal shop, I think it might be more re wearable. Most of the bridesmaids dresses I have ever seen look like what they are, so if you can find something that fits the bill in a Macy''s or Bloomies it might be even better...

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
My bridesmaids are wearing knee-length black dresses from White House Black Market. They were around $150 with no alterations needed... elegant and simple, and I think the halter top makes them less "bridesmaid-y"... so definitely rewearable. They''re already calling dibs on who gets to wear theirs to our other friend''s wedding a few months later... haha.
2.gif

EphBMDress1c.jpg

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
E, what a great though, I see the store near me and think they have some really great looking short black dresses in the window...

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to chime in and say that I too think it''ll look fabulous :) I was so tempted to go with black but in the end it was my bridesmaids'' skin tones (one would look great in it, one w red hair and lotso frekles and very pale, one very dark skinned lady who hates black because she is very dark, one very very pale bm, and the other was somewhere in the middle of the spectrum) that made it an no-go for our wedding
7.gif
I still like a non-pastel wedding so I chose a smoky purple (vic. lilac from alfred angelo).

I LOVE that the tea lenght black dresses are re wearable and if you put color into them, make sure the bow or sash or whatever is removable so it stays that way lol !!!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 4:04:51 PM
Author: diamondfan
E, what a great though, I see the store near me and think they have some really great looking short black dresses in the window...
Thanks, DF! I love dresses, and they always have a variety... so it can be a fun store to browse! My friend and I just wandered through the WH/BM in Suburban Square yesterday... is that the one near you? Good sales in the Theory there!
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 5:45:13 PM
Author: ephemery1

Thanks, DF! I love dresses, and they always have a variety... so it can be a fun store to browse! My friend and I just wandered through the WH/BM in Suburban Square yesterday... is that the one near you? Good sales in the Theory there!
1.gif
I''m not DF, but yes, that''s the one.
2.gif
I love the look of black bridesmaid dresses. Classic and elegant IMHO.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is it, thanks K...

they have great looking stuff and the price point is good. I would say that it is a great option for bridesmaids dresses...

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 5:57:55 PM
Author: Kaleigh

1.gif
2.gif
I was guessing that one would be closest to you guys! I had my first dress fitting at the Priscilla''s in Wynnewood, so it seemed like a good time for a shopping trip...
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 6:05:15 PM

Date: 1/21/2007 5:57:55 PM
Author: Kaleigh

1.gif
2.gif
I was guessing that one would be closest to you guys! I had my first dress fitting at the Priscilla''s in Wynnewood, so it seemed like a good time for a shopping trip...
2.gif
How exciting. My dress was a Priscilla too!!! Ok sorry for the threadjack...

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
My best friend''s daughter got married last summer. Daughter''s BM''s wore black dresses much like the one Fancy posted a pic of. Except they had spaghetti straps, I believe.

Daughter''s complimentary color was some shade name of purple. It came out really pretty even tho it did not sound good when I first heard it. Not the black part. The purple.
9.gif

She chose black for the same reason. So the gal could wear their dresses again. After being a BM many times herself, she had a minor fortune in dresses hanging in the closet she knew she''d never wear again.

The wedding was fabulous. And the pics came back GREAT!!
2.gif

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
I''m seriously considering doing the black bridesmaid dresses as well but am a little concerned about how it will look in pictures. I love the idea of the girls being able to re-wear their dresses, and who doesn''t need a little black dress!

Can someone post some samples of actual wedding photos that show the entire bridal party w/ the black dresses? I''m concerned that with the tuxes and black dressed, it is too much black (esp. for an August wedding). If it helps, I was thinking they would have white flowers and I would have red flowers. Our theme is black and white, with red accents. Thanks!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My BMs were in long black dresses. I think it is a classic, elegant look.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2007 10:51:00 AM
Author: scarlet16
I''m seriously considering doing the black bridesmaid dresses as well but am a little concerned about how it will look in pictures. I love the idea of the girls being able to re-wear their dresses, and who doesn''t need a little black dress!

Can someone post some samples of actual wedding photos that show the entire bridal party w/ the black dresses? I''m concerned that with the tuxes and black dressed, it is too much black (esp. for an August wedding). If it helps, I was thinking they would have white flowers and I would have red flowers. Our theme is black and white, with red accents. Thanks!!

I got married in Aug and thought it looked GREAT in pictures!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
5 years ago (5th anniv in March!) my gals wore black! My only regret is that I didn't wear black. Hehehe. I think the pix look AWESOME! Would I do it for ex a day summer wedding no. Evening summmer or anytime other months yes...I see yours is Sept...is it evening?

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the responses and sorry I have been such a slacker about getting back to my own topic!
Sparkel, I like the idea of adding color to the bouquets as a compliment. I like the dress you posted. Yes, something like that but shorter, around knee length is what I was thinking.

Sarie, I like the ones you posted, especially the first. Where did you find it?

Wolftress, I agree about not having the dresses too formal. I'm thinking of purple flowers but not sure which yet. Do you know what sort of flowers you are using?

Kerbear, thanks for the pics! I like the second one and am open to a green sash since I think our colors will be some shade of purple and green. I'd even be willing to have 2 girls w/one color sash and the other 2 w/the other color.. maybe.

Diamondfan, I think you're right about a regular store vs. a bridal store. I hadn't thought of that but will check some out.

Zekele, Kimberly, So Happy, Finding Neverland, Tacori, thank you for your thoughts!!

Fancy, I like how your sash matches the sparkles on your dress! Very pretty!

Robbie, $50-$75 is a great price! I might have to check out department stores.

Junecricket, good idea about using a ribbon vs. a sash. But couldn't the sash just be removed from the dress or was it adhered in some way?

Ephemery, I will have to check out White House Black Market. The prices sound great! I would like to stay under $150 on the bm dresses b/c I know none of my bm's have too much extra $ to spare.

Moremoremore, mine is daytime, which I think was part of my FI's concern. But given mine and everyone else's thoughts, I'm ignoring that concern of his. I'm excited about how they will look!

Thank you so much for all the responses! Once I have the patience to save and try to attach pics of some of my favorites, I will do so.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results