shape
carat
color
clarity

Best video recorder for amateurs?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ooooooooooone more anniversary gift question! Which camcorder/video recorder/general doohicky would you recommend for complete amateurs with a new baby who'd want to post vids online for distant family? All y'all's recs for headphones and coffeemakers were so good that I just can't resist tapping the PS well once more ....

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm quite fond of this flip camera http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B001HSOFI2, which I understand Cisco is no longer making. Not sure if they sold the division and another company will keep producing or if they are gone for good, but I think it's just the coolest thing ever. Keep in mind that I'm usually a few steps behind everyone else when it comes to this sort of thing. I still don't have a "smart" phone, for example. This totally suits my baby-recording needs, is easy peasy, and so convenient!!

ETA: I should add that it doesn't have a zoom feature and is really, really simple, which is something that I can appreciate. I figure by the time baby is winning soccer games the technology will have changed anyway so what's relevant in terms of zoom today will not be relevant by that time.

ETA2: It does have a zoom feature, but only for within the room your in really. Not a far distance. Just pulled mine out as baby is about to start crawling soon. :)) Oh, and I must have the 2nd version because I think I paid around $60 on amazon a few months ago.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
I second the Flip camera. I have the Mino HD, which was the most expensive model at the time with the biggest storage space.
The Flips are very user friendly. You just press record! And then to put the videos on the computer, you just plug it in and voila!
The picture quality is great...I think all of the models record in HD.
I didn't realize they were no longer being made. But I'm sure they are still available some places.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the canon s90 for stills. One day we discovered that the video it takes is WAY better than our video camera. It looks quite great actually and we don't have to keep two cameras around. The video camera is now in the closet collecting dust.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep in mind many of today's DSLR still cameras also have 1080p high resolution video recording capability.
If you were remotely considering buying a DSLR too you may save money buy NOT buying a video camera.

It is a complex decision so do your own homework.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1319482223|3046763 said:
Keep in mind many of today's DSLR still cameras also have 1080p high resolution video recording capability.
If you were remotely considering buying a DSLR too you may save money buy NOT buying a video camera.

It is a complex decision so do your own homework.

Hm, interesting. Is there a DSLR camera you'd recommend to a beginner?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd just pick the least expensive Nikon or Canon DSLR that has 1080p video.

I like the site www.kenrockwell.com for reviews.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results