shape
carat
color
clarity

Ballet shoes for wedding shoes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
FI and I are planning on taking dance lessons (ballroom, waltz, and maybe even tango if we have the energy) for our wedding (and for something fun to do together) and the instructor suggested I buy Sansha shoes before we begin. I took a look and they are very affordable (less than $20 and can be found on good ole ebay for less), come in white, pink, black, and other colors, and have a soft-point version (which I''d be getting). They have what looks to be some kind of "grip" on the sole which is helpful both when I use them to dance and if I use them to wear on the wedding day. Of course they are flat but I wanted that anyway. And they have the really cute lace up which I just think is lovely :)

I''ve been looking for ballet-type shoes for wedding shoes so I thought that if I like them enough, I may order a white pair and embellish them myself to look more wedding-y...........or leave them alone. Who knows. Either way, just thought I pass along the idea for those looking for something flat and ballet and cheap.

http://sansha.com/footwear-soft-canvas.html#

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Did your instructor say you should get ballet slippers for ballroom dancing? I personally would not wear ballet slippers for ballroom, waltz or tango because there isn''t really any support for your feet. The ballet slippers are great for practicing the flexing, pointing and strengthening of the feet...not really for the fancy footwork of ballroom dancing.

Sansha does make ballroom shoes, which have a heel and are more appropriate for the type of dancing that you''ll be doing.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that could be cute, but how long will the dress you are wearing be? You do not want a dress hemmed to a high heel and then have on the flat...you might step on and trip over the hem!

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
i''m also getting some ballet flats, either for my actual shoes or at least for the dancing portion of the night.

my dress is vintage-y lace, and i found these on zappos- i also like it because fi''s nickname from college is ''rocket dog'' so i thought it was cute that i would have this on my shoes-
i''m so lame, i know, i know.....

Lacy Flats

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I love your rocket dog''s :)

Due to comfort and FI and I being the same height, I wanted to wear flats. My gown is in fact prepared for that :)

Cheekyprincess

Shiny_Rock
Did you see the student satin ones? Might look a little more weddingy.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
huh, ours told me high heels with an ankle strap. We took a few classes before we got married and it was one of my favorite things about our wedding. Everyone was VERY impressed!

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Veteran dancer here (started when I was 3!) I really wouldn't recommend learning to ballroom dance in soft ballet slippers. You need something with a slight lift to it, if not a full-blown heel. Even a dance sneaker would be better.

Re: wearing the ballet flats to the wedding...I wouldn't recommend that either (especially with canvas) unless the ceremony and reception are completely indoors...The canvas doesn't last too long! I admit I keep all of my old soft shoes to wear around the house, but I wouldn't wear them outside at all. The canvas split-soles are very comfortable, but the leather used to always last me longer in the studio. The links I posted in my reply below are from my favorite dance supply website/catalog. Their prices are very competitive. Hope that helps!

ETA: I have a pair of rocket dogs similar to the ones that labbielove posted. They're very comfortable and I get compliments on them all the time!\

ETA again: to get rid of the bad links!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Hey IrishAngel - All the links you posted came up as the main page. Can you post the style numbers?

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Grr thanks for pointing that out Sumbride. I''ll work on it now!

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Ok round 2! Sorry about that! Everything can be found at www.discountdance.com

Shoes for the studio:
Click on SHOES, then MODERN SHOES

321 by Capezio®
Adult Teaching Sandal

http://www.discountdance.com/image/419x450/321.jpg

S0407 by Bloch®
Grecian Sandal

http://www.discountdance.com/image/419x450/s0407l.jpg

Sandals/Slip-ons
PP323 by Capezio®
“Pedini Femme” Teaching Sandal

http://www.discountdance.com/image/419x450/pp323.jpg

Check out the character shoes for heeled dance shoes, like these inexpensive ones:
DN306L by Dance Now
Character Shoe

http://www.discountdance.com/image/419x450/dn306l.jpg

If you want a pair of ballroom shoes for your wedding, there are a bunch of pretty ones under BALLROOM SHOES. They''re more expensive, but adorable. They don''t usually come in white or ivory though...more often in a shade of gold, black, or suntan.
Sample pics...
http://www.discountdance.com/image/419x450/br18s.jpg

http://www.discountdance.com/image/419x450/br24s.jpg

http://www.discountdance.com/image/419x450/br25s.jpg

http://www.discountdance.com/image/419x450/br34s.jpg

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Ballet slippers could look siper cute! But they may not be the most comfortable for a reception. I used to be a dancer, and though I LOVED dancing in my canvas shoes, I couldn''t STAND walking around in them on anything but the floor in our studio, which was made of a special dance material. They are designed so that you can really feel the floor in them. So, The floor starts feeling really hard on your feet pretty quickly unless you are scooting around on your toes. It''s almost exactly like walking barefoot except with less friction. If you think you can tolerate walking and dancing barefoot all night in your reception site, then you could probably tolerate canvas slippers.

I have seen Ballet style "reception" slippers advertised, which are the same look, only with a slightly better sole for walking. I will try to find where I saw it because I thought they were precious.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
So_happy, I have to agree with IrishAngel. I know you are concerned with being the same height as your husband-to-be, so maybe you can wear a pair of flats for most of the wedding and change into the ballroom shoes for the dance?

In the interest of making the dancing look great, you should wear heels. The thing about ballroom dance steps is that you should be light on your feet, meaning on your toes. The high heel on ballroom dance shoes helps you to be stable on the balls of your feet, which helps you to move lightly and gracefully. Most of the footwork is on your toes.

If you insist on the ballet slippers, try the leather slippers with a full leather sole (instead of the split sole). I always felt that leather ballet slippers molded to my foot better anyway. If you will be walking outside on uneven ground, rocks, gravel, pavement, etc the ballet slippers are not a good idea. It's like wearing a sock. You could end up hurting yourself.

ETA: Ballet slippers are not the same as ballet shoes or ballet flats. Slippers are soft and offer no support. Shoes and flats have a hard supportive sole. I hope you find something that works :) Comfort on your wedding day is key. If you really cannot stand the idea of wearing heels, then get the flats but make sure they are safe for what you'll be doing.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I wore satin balllet shoes with leather soles 20 years ago for my wedding. It suited my dress which was a bit Princess Diana at the time. They were super comfy and rather different.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/6/2007 2:01:05 AM
Author: CrownJewel

So_happy, I have to agree with IrishAngel. I know you are concerned with being the same height as your husband-to-be, so maybe you can wear a pair of flats for most of the wedding and change into the ballroom shoes for the dance?

In the interest of making the dancing look great, you should wear heels. The thing about ballroom dance steps is that you should be light on your feet, meaning on your toes. The high heel on ballroom dance shoes helps you to be stable on the balls of your feet, which helps you to move lightly and gracefully. Most of the footwork is on your toes.

If you insist on the ballet slippers, try the leather slippers with a full leather sole (instead of the split sole). I always felt that leather ballet slippers molded to my foot better anyway. If you will be walking outside on uneven ground, rocks, gravel, pavement, etc the ballet slippers are not a good idea. It''s like wearing a sock. You could end up hurting yourself.

ETA: Ballet slippers are not the same as ballet shoes or ballet flats. Slippers are soft and offer no support. Shoes and flats have a hard supportive sole. I hope you find something that works :) Comfort on your wedding day is key. If you really cannot stand the idea of wearing heels, then get the flats but make sure they are safe for what you''ll be doing.
Crown Jewel hit the nail on the head!!! You can get ''ballet slipper'' shoes for the wedding, but not actual ballet slippers. They''re not made for anything else than dancing on hardwood or marley (most often.) They''re very popular right now...I went into DSW for my friend''s wedding and they had a lot of different style ballet shoes. Again, check out the rocket dogs. They don''t offer the most support for walking a long distance, but they''ll be better for your feet than walking around in soft shoes on your wedding day. =)

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some examples of Reception Slippers at the bottom of this page...they might be a little frilly, but I think they are along the lines of what people are suggesting you look for:

Reception Slippers

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 5:42:17 PM
Author:So_happy
FI and I are planning on taking dance lessons (ballroom, waltz, and maybe even tango if we have the energy) for our wedding (and for something fun to do together) and the instructor suggested I buy Sansha shoes before we begin. I took a look and they are very affordable (less than $20 and can be found on good ole ebay for less), come in white, pink, black, and other colors, and have a soft-point version (which I''d be getting). They have what looks to be some kind of ''grip'' on the sole which is helpful both when I use them to dance and if I use them to wear on the wedding day. Of course they are flat but I wanted that anyway. And they have the really cute lace up which I just think is lovely :)

I''ve been looking for ballet-type shoes for wedding shoes so I thought that if I like them enough, I may order a white pair and embellish them myself to look more wedding-y...........or leave them alone. Who knows. Either way, just thought I pass along the idea for those looking for something flat and ballet and cheap.

http://sansha.com/footwear-soft-canvas.html#
Hi So Happy! I know this is probably SO NOT what you''re looking for, but in my own hunt for shoes, I came across these on Zappos and thought of you ;-)

just for fun!

VW.jpg

Anyways! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results