shape
carat
color
clarity

Attn Pet Parents: Melamine in Wheat, Rice and Corn Glutens

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I read about this - apparently these ingredients also came from China.

Is there a centralized, updated list on the foods in question? I keep getting directed to a million different links with different info of various states of ''updating.''
40.gif
38.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FG,
I''ve pretty much given up on what''s not safe to eat. I just pick my favourite few holistic companies, read their food ingredient labels, pick which ones I think are best, then give my kitty a taste test.

So far, these are deemed safe and have passed the taste test for my cat:
Wysong au jus (all meat)
Solid Gold
Evangers (various flavours)
By Nature Organics (various flavours)

My cat refused to touch the Felidae. Oh well.
20.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been at total loss with this pet food business. I REALLY don''t know anything about it, and I don''t know what sites etc. to trust.

I''ve been feeding my cats IAMS (not the #1 food, but I thought a reasonable price/quality selection.) I THOUGHT was a relatively good choice, but I''ve seen it mentioned badly in a couple of sites and called garbage. In any case, my cat threw up 3 times. He looked a bit lethargic yesturday and I freaked out. I went to the IAMS site, and I couldn''t find any info on recalled products (I don''t know if they would have hidden this) but it wasn''t immediately availale. I''ve seen some websites (non official that haven mentioned IAMS, but not the food I''m feeding him).

So on Monday, went to the pet store, and bought the most expensive bag of pet food I could find. Techni-Cal. I bought it because it said it was completely made in Canada I assume I''m safe from gluten from China. because But today I''m researching it and it''s made by Royal Canine. Good, bad? I haven''t a clue.

But the cats seem to love it and they are crazy active and Smokey hasn''t thrown up again. I''m taking that as a good sign. But I''m really frustrated with this food business.

KindredSpirit717

Rough_Rock
this whole thing is getting scary. i was feeding my dog purina, and had been thinking about switching to a better food, and got natural balance sweet potato and salmon formula, my husband wanted to get him the venison and rice, but that''s been recalled now and i''m so glad my love for sweet potatos outruled the venison. i''m debating on switching him again to a different brand, but don''t want to upset my dogs tummy by switching foods so often. i''m starting to get annoyed about the whole food industry and quality control, i was doing research on one of my families dog food, which is prescribed by the vet even though the ingredients are terrible, and it has two ingredients in it that have thought to be carcinogenic to humans and can not be put in human food anylonger. i know human and animals systems are different, but still more research needs to be done about it to see if those ingredients need to be banned in animal food as well. pets are like family to a lot of people and the loss of one can be devastating. my family just had to put down our dog of 14 years and it was the hardest loss i''ve had to deal with so far and i couldn''t stand losing my baby boy too.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
OH JEEZ NOT AGAIN!
KindredSpirits is right, this is getting down right annoying!!

My dog just has not adjusted well to the innova evo food even though he used to eat it several months ago. (if my nose and eyes are burning from half a room away how must he feel?) So now I''m cooking brown rice and chicken thighs for him everynight. Getting kind of expensive, but I don''t know what else to do!

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
We''ve been feeding our Shih Tzu a homecooked diet for years now. A basic meal could consist of boiled chicken with rice and some steamed carrots. It takes a little more work, but the way pet foods are now it you may want to consider it. We also give her a half of a human multi-vitamin each day. Talk to your vet and I''m sure they can provide a recipe for home cooked meals.

I''m even getting leary of purchasing packaged foods for humans imported from China. I''m Chinese and love Chinese food, but all of this has gotten me scared.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read that some of these pet food scraps were sold and fed to pig farms, and some of these are the recently recalled pet food. Hoo boy! It''s enough to make me avoid pork for a while until this whole fiasco is over.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the link FG. I don't know why the FDA is so slow to release its findings and announcements. The press/media is so much more up-to-date and quicker.
33.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I have to say that I am THOROUGHLY confused. I worry about what I am feeding my four cats because of the melamine issue. I also have been reading increasingly about dry food being not optimum for cats. I give my cats wet food as a treat, but they eat more dry. Now I wonder if I should reverse it. They don''t seem to like the premium canned foods like Wellness for example. They will eat Fancy Feast which seems like junk to me. I think most Vets are not really attuned to all this nutrional stuff because they have so many other things they have to keep up on. I hope I''m not doing the wrong thing for my cats. I love them and want to feed them what''s best. SHEESH!!!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can we sue the FDA?

Seriously. If this were human food contamninated it would have already RELEASED the information on ALL the complanies that purchased this contaminated material.

But because it''s our pets... BUPKIS.

29.gif

KindredSpirit717

Rough_Rock
ahh i''ve actually heard about pigs being fed the scraps of the food. one new development in this whole issue is that the melamine was placed in the food intentionally, but not necissarily to harm the animals. during the whole process when animal food is developped, a lot of nutrients are lost such as protien and they might have put the melamine in the food in order to raise the protien levels instead of using better ingredients. it was a cheaper way of making sure a good amount of protien was in the food

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I know it''s so confusing. My cats had been eating one of the brands that was recalled when the news broke the first time. But we got lucky and no one is sick. Then we started feeding natures balance and the next week it was recalled!!
Now they are eating a dry food brand called chicken soup for the cat lovers soul. It''s all meat whole grains and plant from what I can see on the back. Plus they say all the ingredients is locally farmed and processed. They have also been eating Avoderm. I does have oat bran and rice flour but no syrups as you mentioned. Hope it''s okay.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2007 9:39:28 PM
Author: KindredSpirit717
ahh i''ve actually heard about pigs being fed the scraps of the food. one new development in this whole issue is that the melamine was placed in the food intentionally, but not necissarily to harm the animals. during the whole process when animal food is developped, a lot of nutrients are lost such as protien and they might have put the melamine in the food in order to raise the protien levels instead of using better ingredients. it was a cheaper way of making sure a good amount of protien was in the food
Yes, the pigs aren''t new news, but the finding that some of the pigs that ate it may have gotten into the human food chain was new.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''ve stopped buying wet food altogether. I''ve been cooking for them.

Bought a pound of salmon. A pound of shrimp. A pound of chicken. Ditto on Beef.

I''m worried about the innova low fat dry... so we''re switching them back to EVO. I''d rather have a fat cat than a dead one.

This whole thing is just ticking me off.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,
Do you mix anything in with the meat or just cooked meat?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2007 2:33:25 PM
Author: Gypsy
I''m worried about the innova low fat dry... so we''re switching them back to EVO. I''d rather have a fat cat than a dead one.
That made me snicker - only because it''s true - the other issues seem miniscule compared to them being poisoned by their own food.

I too am just livid over all of this and it seems to be getting worse. I hope that these companies have learned SOME sort of lesson - that trying to get feed cheap can end up costing you a lot of money when they''re doping the stuff to make it look better than it really is. I hope they get sued out the wazoo...maybe they''ll be more careful in the future. I can only hope though, because this is ridiculous.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends. I made a stew with half the salmon, it''s skin some brown rice and the shimp shells (contained in cheesecloth) I added a little bit of sea salt... and that''s it. They get that tonight. We''ll see how it goes. But before now it''s been straight meat. But ONLY because of the small amount of wet we give them. It''s a treat only-- even though it''s everynight-- their main food is dry. The shrimp, salmon, and chicken I''ve given them as been simply baked in the oven with a TINY bit of sea salt and shredded and cooled in the fridge. The beef I''m going to make a simple stew with tonight similar to the seafood one I''m feeding them tonight.

FG... I know! I just reached the point that I couldn''t take that stomach clenching stress everytime I opened a can of food... wondering if they''d be healthy after eating it. It was driving me insane. I found myself hoping they wouldn''t eat the stuff... but they did-- and I felt ill watching them. They are my babies. I couldn''t forgive myself if my negligence got them killed.
7.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did anyone see the MSN article on pork today? I don''t have a link ,sorry, but it was about how eight states of hog slaughtering farms had been quarantined becaused those hogs may have been fed the very dog food containing melamines and they may have been introduced to the human food chain.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2007 11:22:56 AM
Author: innerkitten
I know it''s so confusing. My cats had been eating one of the brands that was recalled when the news broke the first time. But we got lucky and no one is sick. Then we started feeding natures balance and the next week it was recalled!!
Now they are eating a dry food brand called chicken soup for the cat lovers soul. It''s all meat whole grains and plant from what I can see on the back. Plus they say all the ingredients is locally farmed and processed. They have also been eating Avoderm. I does have oat bran and rice flour but no syrups as you mentioned. Hope it''s okay.
Innerkitten,

I feed my cats dry Chicken Soup for the Cat lover''s Soul too. (and I''ve fed wet food as a treat) Except now I may have to stop because one of my cats had surgery recently to remove 5 bladder stones. So they''ve sent the stones out for analysis and they''re going to call me with the results. It''s a sure bet I will probably have to switch completely to wet food. That will be a real pain because I''ve always fed free choice and now I will probably have to do scheduled feedings. My cat who had the bladder stones will pretty much eat any wet food ( I had tried some "premium" wet foods like Wellness at one point) but the other three will basically only eat Fancy Feast which as a treat I''m sure is fine, but doesn''t seem to be the best food for their staple diet. I never dreamed that this would all turn into such a big pain. I love my cats but geez!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results