shape
carat
color
clarity

Attacks on Asian Americans

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I was in middle school, my grandfather was attacked on public transportation. He was bludgeoned so many times in the head that he ended up with a 3 inch crater in the front of his head. I was too young to understand the significance of the race aspect, or maybe I didn't want to dwell on it. He could not walk or eat or conduct his daily business without assistance with every movement. He could not feed himself. I find it hard to think about it, but all these recent events is bringing it back, to face it what it was. So not new but just as devastating.

Oh my goodness! That reprehensible! I’m so sorry that happened to your grandfather and your family!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry for what happened to your grandfather and your whole family, @LLJsmom (((gentle hugs)))

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Hate crimes, and violent crimes in general, need to be prosecuted and heavy sentences imposed.

We have to do better than this for our fellow citizens.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm disgusted by what we will tolerate in this country. It boggles my mind. Basically, we've become a bunch of hypocrites who really don't GAF about anyone but ourselves anymore.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is all just so, so terrible. I am extremely sorry for all Asian Americans who suffer from any form of racism. I don't know any racist people - ha, well I don't think I do - but I'm sure they must be the unhappiest, bitterest, most short-of-brain-cells people on the planet. I mean, just how un-evolved and idiotic do you have to be to think that the tone of someone's skin has anything to do with anything? It's like phrenology back in the day, when people thought you could tell things about others by the bumps of their head. In other words, could they be any more stupid? Racist people show themselves up for the single-celled organisms that they really are.

ETA: Racism is so irrational and so breathtakingly stupid that I think it must be a cover, in many cases, for some pretty serious mental illnesses. I don't see how any rational, sane person can think that skin color means anything about a person. And what kind of idiot can see a person of color succeed and yet still cling to their ideas? Someone who's got a mashed-up mind, that's who. Ordinarily, I'd feel compassion for people who are that stupid, but not for racists, obv.

Last edited:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm disgusted by what we will tolerate in this country. It boggles my mind. Basically, we've become a bunch of hypocrites who really don't GAF about anyone but ourselves anymore.

It is so true. People satisfy their ego's need to feel like a good person by virtue-signaling on social media. But actually DO something, like go and visit someone who's in hospital, say? Forget it! (Just thinking of some people I know...)

People are less willing than ever to give what truly inconveniences them: time.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that racism is a form of radicalization, along the same continuum as people who are radicalized by terrorists. There are de-radicalization programs for people who have fallen into the clutches of extremists, and there should be the same for people who have been influenced by racist ideas. After all, no one is born racist. I wonder if people are more likely to become influenced by racist ideas at home or by a peer group?

Regardless, this country has such a terrible problem with race that the government needs to put in place thorough anti-racist programs wherever they can, in my opinion. Schools, workplaces, and maybe places of leisure, too. As in, you can't join this Y until you've completed XYZ anti-racist program. And the gov should pay. This society needs fixing. Everybody should attend an anti-racist program the same as everyone has to pass a driving test. And participation in society should be limited until you take the program. Not only does this country have a terrible race problem, it's just not going away. It's such a huge stain on us. While other developed nations have racist individuals, sure, nowhere else has such a horrendous problem with race as we do.

I also believe that we will never be truly equal until people of all colors mix together everywhere. Schools should not be funded by property taxes bc that creates an enormous system of inequality. Funding should be at the state level and it should be dependent on how many kids are at the schools.

So much wrong with this society when it comes to race. It makes me very, very sad. How can such a beautiful country contain so much ugliness? And how is there so little progress in this area?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
've, sadly, come to believe that racism will continue to exist as long as humanity exists.

This is fact. I couldn't agree more.

It is reprehensible and egregious and disgusting.
Another reason I prefer animals over (many/most) people.

racism.jpg
But I would include the world instead of the word American because it is a world wide problem. Where there are people racism exists. Period.

voce

Ideal_Rock
But I would include the world instead of the word American because it is a world wide problem. Where there are people racism exists. Period.
I couldn't agree with this more. Racism exists as a "us vs them" superficial difference that superficial people latch onto as a superficial explanation as to why things are as they are, and that goes for anywhere in the world, any nation, any community.

When I take surveys, even things that are supposed to be neutral, like the US Census, there is often a question about which "race" I identify myself as. I know they mean for me to pick Asian/Pacific Islander, but in my mind, why do we need to think of people as different races? Aren't we all part of the human race?

Until everyone in the world agrees with this point of view, if ever, I don't think racism will go away.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a first generation immigrant in UK, came here in the late 70s to continue with my study at a boarding school, and stayed as I liked it from the moment I stepped out of the plane.

I honestly cannot recall any issues or incidents with racism directed at me personally all these years.

The first night I shared a dormitory with 2 other girls, we ended up in a pillow fight, and I fought good and proper. I took it as a rite of passage/initiation process as I was the new girl.

No one has picked a fight with me ever since.

At my first lesson for English as a Foreign Language (EFL), my teacher gave me the following advice:

* Speak like you are reading the news on BBC to better equip myself for the socio-economic ladder
* Avoid speaking in your native language (Cantonese) when in the company of others who do not understand your dialect, as they would automatically think you are talking about them in a negative way

I disliked joining the group of oriental students at break time, as they only spoke in their native tongue, rowdily, and often made fun of the teachers and other students life at school in general, reminiscing about the good times back in their home countries, talked about the latest soaps/TV programmes they watched when they went back for the long breaks, very inclusive and kind of toxic, as I happened to enjoy my time at school and did not feel I had anything in common with them.

I worked hard to get rid of my accent, and was delighted when I went on holiday in Germany/Austria 3 years later, I was recognised as being a Brit due to my accent, and was very pleased about it.

When I went to apply for my permanent residency (PR) at the Immigration Office in person after being in UK for about 10 years (7 as a student, 2 working under a work permit with 10 months spent back in HK during my gap year [I was tricked into returning by my mum]), after hearing about rejections as experienced by others before me; I was given PR right away to my delight.

I put it down to (a) I could support myself being a trained Healthcare Professional, and (b) the interviewer was sufficiently satisfied that I have integrated into the British society from my accent.

I would not suffer in silence, and would definitely do something about it as and when anything is directed at me due to my race, sex, religion, financial status and political beliefs.

I guess I had it easy compared with some of the horror stories I have come across. However, I would like to believe not having a victim mentality certainly has helped.

Personal experiences, beliefs and all that.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some time ago while I was still living in HK in the family home, my mum shocked me when she made some unpleasant comments about the shop keepers in the neighbourhood who originated from the Indian subcontinent.

I picked her up on that, and her response was in the line that the ruling British were prejudice against the Chinese in HK, so she had to find some people to dislike, etc. etc...

DK :roll2:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Racism is learned, and it goes so far back people don't recognize it in themselves. It's a family member talking about "the w**backs living off welfare," the chaplain wanting to "get a rope and hang BLM protesters," or a comment about black people and watermelon followed by laughter. These comments were made in passing, like it's no big deal and totally harmless. The people making them would never consider themselves racist. They are God-fearing patriots. (Actually, one is dead so who knows where he went...)

I live in a part of "the OC" with a large Asian population. Actually, it's a very diverse area, but depending on who I'm talking to, they focus on being racist towards one race. To me, we're all just people, and if you're an *ss I don't care what you look like or where you were born. Education would help and schools are starting to now incorporate cultural awareness into the classroom. Kids do no see race. They see kids, until an ugly adult teaches them otherwise.

DD has a friend who is Chinese and calls me "Mama" and I love her to death. In fact, we just spent an hour Facetiming. I worry about her being subjected to these attacks. It's awful to think anyone I love would be hurt and it's sickening, but history has taught us it will continue unless we finally say "Stop!"

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks, this is an emotionally charged topic, please remember our no politics rule and keep that out of the conversation. We've removed some posts that violated this rule.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results