shape
carat
color
clarity

Attacks on Asian Americans

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had it. This is horrible, evil, heartless and cruel. As an Asian American, seeing these constant attacks, and especially on the most vulnerable, elderly and women, is making me sick and giving me anxiety. A whole year and a half of this escalating violence and targeted attacks is beyond what words can describe.

Everyone, please take care and have compassion.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
These news headlines are becoming all too common in the US, and in the great melting pot that my family and I call "home", I see rising incidences daily! As I mentioned in another thread, my teen being called a chink and told to take their china flu back to where it came from was the pits! My kids know no other home. They consider themselves full fledged Americans. It is so scary to have to "watch your back" (literally and figuratively) just because of the way you look.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
The racism was always here, it's just out in the open now, and more violent.

I was at Balboa Park in San Diego around 11 years old. One guy turned the corner and ran into me and apologized, but his friend said outloud "why would you apologize it's not like those chinks can understand you, who the **** cares". That experience is seared into my brain.

It was rampant in Florida when I visited Disney World during college, from Cast Members, no less, when I myself was a Cast Member. Acting like they couldn't understand me, saying they couldn't verify my California ID on purchases, and asking to see to see my passport. I'm born and raised in California and speak English better than most of those *******s, but apparently they couldn't take a CC from a "foreign looking person" because I couldn't possibly be American, despite having my California ID and my Disney cast member ID. One guy even referred to us as "you foreign kids". I contacted Corporate Disney, and they sent an Asian American woman to deal with me. She basically acknowledged the only reason they sent her was because she's Asian, and it sucks but there's nothing she can do.

So yeah, the hate is not new. We will always be "foreign" in their eyes. Anyone who denies it and thinks otherwise is delusional.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The racism was always here, it's just out in the open now, and more violent.

I was at Balboa Park in San Diego around 11 years old. One guy turned the corner and ran into me and apologized, but his friend said outloud "why would you apologize it's not like those chinks can understand you, who the **** cares". That experience is seared into my brain.

It was rampant in Florida when I visited Disney World during college, from Cast Members, no less, when I myself was a Cast Member. Acting like they couldn't understand me, saying they couldn't verify my California ID on purchases, and asking to see to see my passport. I'm born and raised in California and speak English better than most of those *******s, but apparently they couldn't take a CC from a "foreign looking person" because I couldn't possibly be American, despite having my California ID and my Disney cast member ID. One guy even referred to us as "you foreign kids". I contacted Corporate Disney, and they sent an Asian American woman to deal with me. She basically acknowledged the only reason they sent her was because she's Asian, and it sucks but there's nothing she can do.

So yeah, the hate is not new. We will always be "foreign" in their eyes. Anyone who denies it and thinks otherwise is delusional.

That really sucks.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The hate is not new and has been directed historically at all minorities. Welcome to the club.

Agree, yes, not new and I have been part of the club. I and my family have dealt with it for years. The violence is more blatant and cruel, directed toward the most vulnerable. It is still extremely horrific and should be called out.

And honestly it still hurts me to recall the crime that occurred to my own family, and it is difficult to explain or describe it. I don't think I can, even 30 years hence. But maybe I will...

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @ForteKitty that this isn’t new, it’s just more out in the open. It also seems to have ramped up as of late.

What makes me frustrated is that I’ve been calling out the hateful, anti-Asian rhetoric (“Chinese virus,” “Wuhan virus,” “Kung flu,” “bat-eaters,” etc.) since the start of the pandemic and was dismissed by people who insisted that there was nothing racist or harmful about it. Those attitudes are part of the reason why this isn’t going away and it’s getting worse.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We’ve been in this shit club since the Gold Rush. I think the time for a refund has long passed. :lol:

That's very true not just in America
I feel so sad reading this
i never knew Asian people till PS and it breaks my heart people are rude to you especially to now have to be fearful

At my high school we had a special ESL unit for mostly Asian kids who were war refugees
Although i was never mean to them i deeply regreat not reaching out and befriending them

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I felt the same when I visited America in my late teens and early 20s. Everyone there seemed to ask me where I am from. When I said Australia, they all looked in disbelief as if an Asian person could not have come from Australia. It's so odd that and very ignorant of those people. Something has to happen for it to stop. I am thinking of you guys over there.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
All of us minorities should ban together to become the majority! As a Jewish kid growing up in the Deep South, I’ve been attacked, asked to show my horns, etc....it’s terrifying and makes my blood boil!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We’ve been in this shit club since the Gold Rush. I think the time for a refund has long passed. :lol:

It's been a long time.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here we go again, more ugly Groupism. :nono: :nono: :nono:

My group superior.
Your group inferior.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is just horrific. I'm so sorry that your grandfather and your family had to endure this!

Thank you @lulu_ma for your compassion. you’re right. It was a sentence for the whole family.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen two vids on the news where a different minority is attacking an Asian person. It blows my mind when minorities attack other minorities. The irony is appalling.

As far as systemic racism in the US (which has recently been denied by some of our leaders, may their tongues grow exploding pustules), I've, sadly, come to believe that racism will continue to exist as long as humanity exists. Eliminate racial, cultural, religious, political, and economic divisions, deliberately breed ourselves to be as homogenous as possible in all ways possible and maybe we'd have an iota of a chance.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is horrible. In large part this trend began with the last administration and its liberal use of the term "chinese virus". And of course it was socially acceptable to be a prejudiced moron, because America is supposed to be Christian and white y'all. Let's normalize racism!

My daughter-in-law is a US citizen from India and she's told me what she's experienced in terms of nasty remarks. Turns my stomach. The closest I've ever come is someone ranting to me about Jewish people. It was nice to tell them I was Jewish (I converted before I married) . And then I heard "you're too pretty to be Jewisn". Seriously? Do these people think we all look like Nazi propaganda sterotypes? You can't reason with someone this ignorant.

The ironic thing is that all these low-rent white supremacists are, to put it kindly, very homely. Some of the attackers of Asians have been black men, maybe they rationalize it by thinking they've experienced prejudice so it's ok for them to act out. You can't reason with a racist of any color.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen two vids on the news where a different minority is attacking an Asian person. It blows my mind when minorities attack other minorities. The irony is appalling.

As far as systemic racism in the US (which has recently been denied by some of our leaders, may their tongues grow exploding pustules), I've, sadly, come to believe that racism will continue to exist as long as humanity exists. Eliminate racial, cultural, religious, political, and economic divisions, deliberately breed ourselves to be as homogenous as possible in all ways possible and maybe we'd have an iota of a chance.

The elephant in the room is that the media does not acknowledge the race of the perpetrators when it comes to these attacks, yet implies that race is the motivation for the attacks. That is the irony. When the media does not identify the race of the perpetrators—does it lead others to believe that these acts are acts of crime and opportunity? As in, the locals rob who they deem has money and is an easy target, but surely not motivated by race?

Also, systemic racism is finally being acknowledged. What do we do about colorism—which is a form of racism within the culture?
And let’s not forget that within cultures, some establish hierarchies of cultures. Are we addressing these issues or is the form of racism acceptable bc it is within the culture?

Someone suggested minorities should unite. But that hasn’t happened bc we are pitted against each other—any many times by the colonized attitudes that our parents and grandparents imposed on us—not necessarily by the white man or the system. It’s time we really wake up and ask ourselves to what extent are we activists in the pursuit of wiping out injustice? Or are we only woke now that it is affecting us?

Also. In Hispanic areas, paleteros are being attacked and beat and robbed. They are typically Hispanic and undocumented men who are selling ice cream. Street vendors who sell flowers have also been attacked. And yes. By other minorities. So when you see these clips air on soc media you see posters bring up BLM and how BLM doesn’t value other races bc most of the perpetrators are black. So one can go with that mentality or one can realize that this has been happening always but social media is now sharing these crimes and these crimes have been ongoing due to the poverty and cruelty and blah blah and not really a hate crime? You decide.

Disclaimer. Second glass of wine.

Last edited:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Recently I had a car honk and follow me, and then roll down the window to yell something at me, and I actually laughed in relief when I realized the guy was just being gross and hitting on me. Literally laughed and kept walking.

Never thought I’d be relieved to be cat-called. But after all the anti Asian hate, cat calling almost seems friendly (yuck).

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Recently I had a car honk and follow me, and then roll down the window to yell something at me, and I actually laughed in relief when I realized the guy was just being gross and hitting on me. Literally laughed and kept walking.

Never thought I’d be relieved to be cat-called. But after all the anti Asian hate, cat calling almost seems friendly (yuck).

How awful to have to think that :(2

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
A few thoughts:

1) We need to focus more on mental health as a society. We need to remove any stigma around it. Violence of any kind regardless of motive is not OK.

2) More people need to talk about and drive awareness around anti-Asian hate and violence. I don't see or hear nearly the same level of support or allyship as BLM.

3) Compassion, kindness, and self-esteem need to be key learning subjects in school.

2020-2021 has really highlighted for me how many issues exist in our society, and how much work needs to be done to change things systemically. I'm also concerned as so many people have shown their true, ugly, and selfish nature.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The elephant in the room is that the media does not acknowledge the race of the perpetrators when it comes to these attacks, yet implies that race is the motivation for the attacks. That is the irony. When the media does not identify the race of the perpetrators—does it lead others to believe that these acts are acts of crime and opportunity? As in, the locals rob who they deem has money and is an easy target, but surely not motivated by race?

Also, systemic racism is finally being acknowledged. What do we do about colorism—which is a form of racism within the culture?
And let’s not forget that within cultures, some establish hierarchies of cultures. Are we addressing these issues or is the form of racism acceptable bc it is within the culture?

Someone suggested minorities should unite. But that hasn’t happened bc we are pitted against each other—any many times by the colonized attitudes that our parents and grandparents imposed on us—not necessarily by the white man or the system. It’s time we really wake up and ask ourselves to what extent are we activists in the pursuit of wiping out injustice? Or are we only woke now that it is affecting us?

Also. In Hispanic areas, paleteros are being attacked and beat and robbed. They are typically Hispanic and undocumented men who are selling ice cream. Street vendors who sell flowers have also been attacked. And yes. By other minorities. So when you see these clips air on soc media you see posters bring up BLM and how BLM doesn’t value other races bc most of the perpetrators are black. So one can go with that mentality or one can realize that this has been happening always but social media is now sharing these crimes and these crimes have been ongoing due to the poverty and cruelty and blah blah and not really a hate crime? You decide.

Disclaimer. Second glass of wine.

It is true that it has been happening and it is also true that it has been happening more. Both are true. And the BLM movement was very effective at conveying that BLM to mainstream consciousness, and that's a good thing. I don't think that people with disagree with the statement that in general, the Asian community historically has had a tendency not to discuss or address these issues, given that this racism has existed and for a long time. Although we realized they existed, or maybe some, me included, did not want to face the truth, even when we ourselves faced racism, mental, physical or otherwise. And there are still people out there that aren't aware. Calling it out and highlighting forces communities of all colors to acknowledge it exists. And that is a very important first step toward making progress, in the U.S. and in other countries.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here we go again, more ugly Groupism. :nono: :nono: :nono:

My group superior.
Your group inferior.
Kenny, better be careful of what you posted, b/c these latest attacks against Chinese people aren't white supremacists.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The elephant in the room is that the media does not acknowledge the race of the perpetrators when it comes to these attacks, yet implies that race is the motivation for the attacks.
Only if it fits their liberal narratives to divide our country. If the perpetrators were black on Asians then no, if the perpetrators were white on black or white on Asian then the far left will be screaming white supremacists.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Only if it fits their liberal narratives to divide our country. If the perpetrators were black on Asians then no, if the perpetrators were white on black or white on Asian then the far left will be screaming white supremacists.

This is anecdotal, but working at a Chinese restaurant my mom has experienced much more racism against Asians from non-white minorities than from whites. For some people who have an inferiority complex, they like to "compete" and hate on others they perceive to be inferior... Which means, sadly, that it's not all minorities banding together, but minorities hating other minorities.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they started executing the attackers, you can bet they'd stop real fast. I don't believe in rehabilitation. There's no changing violent racists.

You should be the DA of LA county. Tell Gascón to go F himself... :clap:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results