shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you Satiated with Jewelry?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't seem to get excited about buying jewelry anymore.

There are a lot of pretty pieces around that I really like a lot, but somehow I just don't feel excited about actually buying any of it. I could get the Tiffany silver butterfly necklace this weekend that I've been wanting forever, and I just feel bleurgh about it. I could also afford a pair of the "proper" Kiki McDonough square gemstone drops on hoops instead of my inexpensive replica versions, and again, although I really like them, I just can't be bothered, would rather wear my sensibly-priced replicas and save the money.

Have you ever felt like this? That you like jewelry as much as ever, but buying new stuff just doesn't turn you on anymore?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes. I am surprised at how often I feel this way. You aren't alone.

My only consistent jewelry obsession is big costume earrings.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool! I love costume, too. I've often thought how fun it would be to have just one thread about costume and fakes where we could share.

Oh well, this reluctance to buy any jewelry is excellent for the wallet!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I'm pretty much done with it. No real interest in buying any more pieces.

I do love chunky costume statement necklaces and earrings, but even those I am kind of done with, because I have so much and I won't wear it all.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty much yes.

Would I love an old cut diamond riviera necklace? Ummm yeah sure would but do I have a burning desire for one or a spare 20K to get one that I really would love? No.

I am very content with my collection but I cannot promise I won't be adding other pieces as they call to me. But so far nothing is calling to me.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Not exactly. I just can't afford the things I want and I don't really want the things I can afford.

I want a 2ct G VS2 H&A, I want a 1ct old cut, I want, I want, I want...

And what I can afford, doesn't really do it for me. I look at what is readily available for purchase in my country and I'm like, there's no way I'm spending actual money on that. I think PS has turned me into a jewellery snob.

I'm also not really into silver. Not even high end silver. To me it just looks and feels cheap, and reminds me of when I was a jewellery obsessed teenager who couldn't afford nice things so bought them in silver. No offence to those who like silver, I mean, it's fine, but for me, it just feels like I'm settling, and I end up not wearing what I've bought, so its actually just a waste.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie|1457785670|4003844 said:
Not exactly. I just can't afford the things I want and I don't really want the things I can afford.

And what I can afford, doesn't really do it for me. I look at what is readily available for purchase in my country and I'm like, there's no way I'm spending actual money on that. I think PS has turned me into a jewellery snob.

I'm also not really into silver. Not even high end silver. To me it just looks and feels cheap, and reminds me of when I was a jewellery obsessed teenager who couldn't afford nice things so bought them in silver. No offence to those who like silver, I mean, it's fine, but for me, it just feels like I'm settling, and I end up not wearing what I've bought, so its actually just a waste.

Wow this is exactly how I feel..so I just ignore my obsession...I look at all the beautiful jewelry on here but it just doesnt seem to have any effect on my anymore....I think I need to take a break...so many other things in life is getting in my way.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Having been "in the business" since late 1969 or early 1970 I have seen this cycle many times.

I will have a client who buys from me several times a year for two or three years, sometimes longer, then I do not see them again for five or ten years and suddenly the bug strikes again.

Often there are reasons, marriage, new house, furniture for said house, children, schools and college are all things that can interrupt the "need" for jewelry without changing the passion for beauty. One memorable client now spends her "jewelry budget" and a lot more traveling with her newly retired husband to Africa to go into small villages and bring free dental care to the people there. I still see her when she is home as her husband is one of my favorite cousins and I still miss having him as my dentist, a passion he "caught" from my father. She, and he, are loving giving people who truly treasure their new found passion for giving to the world. Hmmm, I should not say new found, as he is a long time Rotarian, as I am, who has enjoyed giving back for all of his adult life. Both are happy and I greatly admire their courage in traveling to areas to give where so many struggle just to live.

I keep thinking that I have all the jewelry that I will ever need, and so does my wife. Still, there are things that I want and will probably buy one day, and I know that I will always enjoy buying things for the lovely lady that has shared more than 45 years with me. To me, jewelry is a wonderful addiction and I know I will never be cured.

Already I am excited for the upcoming JCK show where I can go to my Jewelry Addicts Anonymous meeting. "Hello, my name is Wink and I am a gloriously happy Jewelry Addict." Then I will hear the happy chorus of, "Me too, me too!" from all of us at the table after a long day at the show.

Wink

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I go in cycles. I'm in the process of doing another ring but it will likely take me a while to do it. The last ring took me nearly 5 years. It wasnt only money but also other things that I had to content with.

And I do have boxes and boxes (and boxes) of stones sitting around waiting for something...lol

I didn't do much last year, bought a 7ct blue zircon and a pair of diamond studs. (1tcw, oec)

This year I'm putting some work into doing a ring but have to admit, I'm not exactly in a hurry.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This has not yet happened with me. There is always something new that I "need".
I love to collect unusual gemstones, and I am always looking for my next rock.
My latest obsession is dendritic agate, in antique \vintage rings.
When I'm bored with that,I'll find a new stone to look for.
I also dig coral, pearls, cameos, etc,etc. There is no end for me!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

There are some really pretty pieces I want and I've just lost the motivation to actually pull the trigger. But I still look all the time.

Stracci, you say you're insatiable - how long have you been collecting?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya,
I've been into jewelry since I was a little kid.
Dad got me into coins, seashells, mineral specimens, etc.
I still have several rings that Dad bought for me when I was about 10 or 12.
My mom has a huge jewelry collection, and I used to play with her jewelry all the time.
Since l learned silver smithing, the gem world is irresistible. There's a local gem and mineral show next week, and I'm ready!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am very content. I almost never wear what I own. I'd LIKE a single station DBTY but I never wear my diamond and ruby one so I don't think it's worth it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I was...but we just got back from the jeweler to have a new battery put in my watch and made the mistake of trying on a bunch of things. :lol:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I am not satiated with jewelry/gemstones.

I take a lot of pleasure in browsing and comparing and bookmarking jewelry/gemstone websites, and I sign in to PS on a daily basis to further feed my interest.

However,
1. I have collected a certain amount already, and
2. I know more about what I like and what looks good on me (to my eyes), and
3. I'm better at "reading" photos and descriptions, plus
4. I'm on an ongoing project of thinning down my collection

... so correspondingly my number of purchases have gone down significantly.

But I'm enjoying my hunt for a couple of things I'd like to complete my collection.

And I enjoy so much sharing in other PSers' searches and purchases.

Gemstones/jewelry has been a longstanding hobby and interest, and I expect it will last as long as my eyesight and mental acuity, let alone my pocketbook!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's this "satiated" you speak of? Eh? I have no idea what that is. :)

I've been jewelry obsessed since I was a kid, and the bug hasn't left yet. I always want MORE. Usually what I can't, and likely never will, have. I have decided that I truly love diamonds... not so much colored stones, unfortunately (for my wallet). I tried... but nothing compares to a well cut diamond for me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am another who has loved jewelry since I was a child! Wink, I wish I could go to your Jewelry Addicts Anonymous meeting! lol! Of course, that could be another name for the PS get-together as well! I do agree that there were many years that we didn't buy much jewelry. We were busy with kids, working, spending money on braces, college, retirement savings, etc. One day I turned 50 and thought, hey, when are were going to start enjoying all that we have worked so hard to save????

I will say my wants are specific. I do prefer diamonds over colored stones, but the cost factor means I occasionally get a colored stone ring. I do love sapphires and rubies, especially. I do enjoy a little of the branded fine jewelry pieces and may collect a little more of that. But the high cost will keep me from going overboard with that! I really have a nice collection of basics now, so I don't really buy anything at this point unless it is something I really love.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh DS, I'm glad you chimed in because I need your advice, seeing as how you are a confirmed, tried-and-tested lover of quality! While I've got you, I'm just going to hijack my own thread.

You know those lovely and inexpensive square gemstone detachable drops that I have? The ones that are a great replica of the Kiki ones? I still wonder about whether to get some of the "real" ones. The Kiki ones are lovely, but my inexpensive ones are lovely too. The Kiki ones are more like small thick cubes, and the diamond hoops are thicker. What I like about my ones is that they are very delicate - the stones are wider but thinner/flatter so the setting is thinner, with rounded corners. The loops on top of the stones are much less obtrusive than the Kiki ones, and my hoops are much thinner. It's a more delicate look, even though the stones are 1-2mm larger on mine.

Having said all that, I'm sure that the workmanship and everything about the Kiki ones would be a delight, judging by my other Kiki items.

But approx $1,100 for a pair of the semi-precious gemstone drops, as opposed to approx $60 for the other type currently on sale? This price doesn't include the hoops, which are another $650 approx. My current hoops and the Kiki ones have the same diamond weight, but Kiki's has thicker metal. (The settings on the inexpensive drops are only 925 silver of course, while the Kiki ones are 18k gold.The stones in both are purple, pink, and green amethyst, and white and blue topaz. Same stones, huge price difference. Both are checkerboard cut but Kiki's have a table.)

The inexpensive drops are on sale and I'm tempted to get 3 more pairs, but if I might buy some Kiki's, perhaps there's no point in getting more of the former.

So I ask myself, WWDSD?

What would Diamondseeker do? Is the price difference a question of quality, or are the Kiki prices simply outrageous?

For ref:https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-hoops-with-ten-detachable-colored-drop-pairs.216606/

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Link above fixed: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-hoops-with-ten-detachable-colored-drop-pairs.216606/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-hoops-with-ten-detachable-colored-drop-pairs.216606/[/URL]

Thanks for everyone's responses. It's interesting to hear others' feelings on where they are with regards to buying jewelry. Wink, thanks for your professional perspective too. Most interesting.

It seems that there's a trend emerging - that in most people's lives, there is a time to cry and a time to laugh, a time to buy jewelry and a time not to buy jewelry! :lol:

ECF: "What is this satiated that you speak of?" haaaaaa!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes and no, I love it and have always loved it and gemstones, finding PS was like finding my tribe so to speak, as most of my friends don't get my thing for jewellery and gemstones. On the flip side of that I get bored with what I own even if it is amazing really really easily, which doesn't help.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trekkie|1457785670|4003844 said:

This goes for me a lot of the time too.

I go through 3 phases. Satiated, Jewelry Snob ( described above), and "WANT!"

I am between satiated and jewelry snob right now. The things I want enough that I'd buy them have a high price tag, and I'm not there financially or mentally. And my list of what I want is super short anyway. Basically one item: a 7 stone band. But it has to be the EXACT band I want. And as I don't anticipate having 5k ANYTIME soon for that, and that's really the only thing I want, I'm otherwise satiated. I like helping people spend THEIR money on jewelry though.

I do also have a pair of loose 10 mm Tahitian pearls for earring enhancers on my "wish" list currently. But that's more so DH has something to buy me for birthday/anniversary coming up in September. And the sum total for that expenditure is 360 bucks and it's to match my pendant (Christmas 2015/Valentine's Day 2016 present) so I don't really count it. My husband likes to buy me jewelry and he gets bummed out if I don't have jewelry items on my list for him to get me. And if he buys them for me, then having them made into earring enhancers would be my Christmas 2016 present. That's pretty much all I can see myself getting by way of jewelry for 2016. And I'm good with it.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
This is an interesting question. I've only been hanging around PS for a couple of years. I was really excited and spilling over in the brand new "WANT!" stage for awhile. I was fortunate to be able to get the upgraded e-ring of my dreams (modest by PS standards, but perfect for me), and then had a lot of fun collecting a pearls, loose gems and other finished gemstone and diamond pieces.

Unplanned circumstances brought my gem fun to a halt this past summer, but now that the reins are loosened again, I find I am much more discriminating after my break. I don't want as much stuff, think harder about the value of each dollar, and I am very focused on what is actually "me" and will get worn. I'm not really satiated...maybe just "reality checked".

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I now own everything I will ever own. I can appreciate other people's baubles but have no need for any more of my own.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
No, I don't think I will be satiated until I get a new wedding set. :wall:

I've always loved jewelry so I'm not sure that I will ever be fully satiated. :Up_to_something: However, I have noticed that I go through cycles where I don't get anything for long periods of time. I think I'm just content with what I have. :dance: I do love to look at SMTB threads and enjoy the bling that everyone posts though!

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Jambayla- I have been trying to find the hoops in your link and had look at the A.Link website. Do you know the name of the hoops - i would love to get some if the price is right.

many thanks
D2b

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Oh.... sorry to highjack the thread above . I suppose it answers the question though... no I am not satiated at the moment. :naughty:
There are a few items I am keeping my eye on . I don't have a big collection, but each piece is carefully planned.

:wavey:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I have lots of things on my wish list (a Cartier Love bracelet, a Van Clef & Arpels necklace, etc.), but I just can't pull the trigger on any of them because I'd rather keep the money in our savings. For me, it's not that buying just doesn't excite me, but it's become harder to spend on big ticket items because I've gotten more practical over the years. I still treat myself sometimes (mostly with an expensive pair of shoes, a designer handbag, etc.), but it's a lot easier to justify a smaller purchase then one that drains a large portion out of the bank account.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty much done and am happy/content with admiring what others have acquired for themselves. It took many years to get to this point though, as I was developing my eye and taste and didn't quite know what would make my happy/content (no thoughts of upgrades or wanting more/others).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha, I was satiated till I went to an antique jewelry show this weekend. Now all I can dream of is getting a big fat chunky antique pear ring or a huge mesmerizing emerald cut diamond ring. Sigh. :devil: :naughty: :love: 8) ;(

susief

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure about satiated, but I've come to realise that owning jewellery (even my absolute dream items) doesn't mean as much as I thought it would. I'd rather just admire other peoples' pieces on here and in real life than spend my money on it. It's the chase, the dreaming and the planning, that excites me. Buying something puts an end to that and after the initial rush is sort of... disappointing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results