shape
carat
color
clarity

Are tiaras "in"?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovesparklies

Shiny_Rock
Hi brides-to-be! I''m interested in getting your thoughts on tiaras and combs that look like tiaras. My first question is, are tiaras still in style and okay for an "older" bride? At 30 I don''t feel old but it seems like compared to a lot of you I''m an older bride!

The other part of my question is more specifically whether you think a sparkly tiara goes with my lace dress. I''ll be wearing pearl and diamond earrings and a pearl bracelet on the wedding day but the tiara would be my only real sparkly item. I know I should go with what I prefer myself, but I can''t decide! On one hand, how fun is it to wear a tiara and when else will I be able to wear one!? But on the other hand I don''t want to look silly. Thoughts?

Hopefully attached below is the tiara/comb in question. The saleslady assured me that the comb wouldn''t show on a new piece.

Tiara 012.jpg

tropiqalkiwi

Shiny_Rock
No one is too old to wear a tiara (As long as the event calls for it anyway :)

I personally am not a fan of the miss america style crowns, but what you have is lovely and in very good taste I think. I also like that there are pearls on the tiara since you are wearing them in your other jewelry.

I am going to wear a tiara and while looking for info on them and such I found that only married women are to wear them to formal balls and galas. I have no clue if anyone follows that anymore, but you can look at your wedding day as the first day you
get to wear a tiara!

lovesparklies

Shiny_Rock
This is a terrible picture but gives you an idea of the scale of the tiara.

Tiara 014.jpg

lovesparklies

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 12:29:08 AM
Author: tropiqalkiwi

I personally am not a fan of the miss america style crowns, but what you have is lovely and in very good taste I think. I also like that there are pearls on the tiara since you are wearing them in your other jewelry.

I am going to wear a tiara and while looking for info on them and such I found that only married women are to wear them to formal balls and galas. I have no clue if anyone follows that anymore, but you can look at your wedding day as the first day you get to wear a tiara!
I love it!! Thanks, tropiqalkiwi.

One more shot that shows my dress (the sample) with the veil I''ll wear. I plan to wear the veil further up on my head with the tiara right up next to it (if wearing one).

The Dress 037.jpg

Winslet

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks lovely! It''s very tasteful, well-proportioned to your face, and goes very nicely with your dress :)

PearlDahhhling

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not sure that tiara''s are "in" but I''ve never really been a fan of following what''s "in". I think yours is lovely and I can picture it going quite well with your dress/veil! And honestly, every girl wants to feel like a princess on her wedding day, and what better way to do that than to wear a tiara! I say go for it! (LOVE your dress by the way!)

ice-queen

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think tiaras are as "in" as they used to be, but they are certainly not "out"

The one you have is dainty and delicate, and it looks great on you! I really like your overall look
1.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t worry what is "in" or "out" rather I would wear what makes you feel beautiful - the tiara looks lovely with what your wearing :).

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 12:29:08 AM
Author: tropiqalkiwi

I am going to wear a tiara and while looking for info on them and such I found that only married women are to wear them to formal balls and galas. I have no clue if anyone follows that anymore, but you can look at your wedding day as the first day you
get to wear a tiara!
Ditto!!! Minus the me wearing a tiara wearing part.

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock
I am not a huge fan of tiaras, but the really small ones can be pretty like this one

The one you are wearing is a little large for my taste, but you look beautiful none the less.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, personally, do not like them. I don't think they are "in," either, though that in itself should not stop you from wearing one if you want to.

I think your dress doesn't need it, and you look great without it. The dress is lace, so it's visually interesting. Strapless and sweetheart neckline --> people's eyes are going to be drawn to your neckline, going up your neck and to your face. I think adding a visually interesting headpiece adds confusion, because the eyes will travel from the neckline up to the tiara, or from the tiara down to your neckline, when my goal is to have the observers eventually end up at the face.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2009 5:24:26 AM
Author: JulieN
I, personally, do not like them. I don''t think they are ''in,'' either, though that in itself should not stop you from wearing one if you want to.

I think your dress doesn''t need it, and you look great without it. The dress is lace, so it''s visually interesting. Strapless and sweetheart neckline --> people''s eyes are going to be drawn to your neckline, going up your neck and to your face. I think adding a visually interesting headpiece adds confusion, because the eyes will travel from the neckline up to the tiara, or from the tiara down to your neckline, when my goal is to have the observers eventually end up at the face.
I agree but you will be stunning whatever you decide!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2009 5:33:19 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 3/3/2009 5:24:26 AM
Author: JulieN
I, personally, do not like them. I don''t think they are ''in,'' either, though that in itself should not stop you from wearing one if you want to.

I think your dress doesn''t need it, and you look great without it. The dress is lace, so it''s visually interesting. Strapless and sweetheart neckline --> people''s eyes are going to be drawn to your neckline, going up your neck and to your face. I think adding a visually interesting headpiece adds confusion, because the eyes will travel from the neckline up to the tiara, or from the tiara down to your neckline, when my goal is to have the observers eventually end up at the face.
I agree but you will be stunning whatever you decide!
I am going to say ditto to this as well, but ONLY because you posted the picture of yourself in the dress with the lovely veil and no tiara - i just think this is such a clean and beautiful look, and i do think the tiara you posted is enough that it will compete a little bit.

I personally am also a 30s bride (i am 32) and in the spirit of being completely honest, i just had this conversation with my sister regarding me personally and tiaras. I definitely feel differently about tiara wearing for myself personally now that i am in my thirties than i did when i was mid twenties....i would not feel comfortable weariing one. However, i wouldn''t necessarily feel that way about someone else wearing one if i was attending a wedding.

You look lovely in both the photos with and without - your dress is gorgeous!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I think the best thing about your wedding is that YOU get to decide what is in or not.

If it means tiara, go and get a tiara!

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/3/2009 12:17:38 AM
Author:lovesparklies
Hi brides-to-be! I''m interested in getting your thoughts on tiaras and combs that look like tiaras. My first question is, are tiaras still in style and okay for an ''older'' bride? At 30 I don''t feel old but it seems like compared to a lot of you I''m an older bride!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! Should I use a cane as a wedding accessory? Oh, honey....you are NOT an older bride! I''m going to turn 40 before we get married in October, and I will be wearing a traditional gown with a headpiece and veil! I couldn''t give a rat''s patootie what is "in." I know what looks good on me, I know what I like, and it''s MY DAY! Let one person say ANYTHING bad about what I wear on our wedding day and I''m sure they are not going to like what my future husband will say to them.
11.gif

It''s a beautiful tiara. If it matches your dress, and you love it - GO FOR IT!!!
2.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d like to preface this with the following: this is totally just my opinion, and I mean no offense to anyone who is wearing a tiara.

As a 29 year old bride, I think I''m too old for a tiara. In general I find them over the top and I wouldn''t choose to wear one at 19 or 29. I think there are so many other lovely options for head/hair pieces out there and I think tiaras are just over done at this point. They''ve "jumped the shark" so to speak.

I''m going with a simple flower in my hair and possible a sheer cathedral length veil. If not the flower, then a jeweled comb/clip.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 12:17:38 AM
Author:lovesparklies
Hi brides-to-be! I''m interested in getting your thoughts on tiaras and combs that look like tiaras. My first question is, are tiaras still in style and okay for an ''older'' bride? At 30 I don''t feel old but it seems like compared to a lot of you I''m an older bride!

The other part of my question is more specifically whether you think a sparkly tiara goes with my lace dress. I''ll be wearing pearl and diamond earrings and a pearl bracelet on the wedding day but the tiara would be my only real sparkly item. I know I should go with what I prefer myself, but I can''t decide! On one hand, how fun is it to wear a tiara and when else will I be able to wear one!? But on the other hand I don''t want to look silly. Thoughts?

Hopefully attached below is the tiara/comb in question. The saleslady assured me that the comb wouldn''t show on a new piece.
Uh, I''m almost 30 (may 28th) and I don''t feel old. However, I''m not a tiara gal so I never even considered it age related but I did consider it dated. Personally, I think the one you posted is beautifull and tastefull however I do not think by any means that you in that dress with the veil need one. If anything that might be the accessory that I would not wear, as it could be too much pearl.

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lovesparkles
I too wondered this same thing - about them "being in" and about the age thing.
I am 32. Old bride - hehehehe and getting married this July - I''ll be 33 yikes!
My best friend and MOH offered to let me wear the Tiara she wore for her wedding...........and i wondered the same thing.
But i have decided to wear it proudly. I concluded - like you, when else can you get away with wearing one and it looks great with my dress.
I think the one you posted will go great with your dress, jewels too as it has some pearls.

I say go for it!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
You know... I think it depends on you, and your day... not YOUR AGE. I personally am not a fan of the tiara because to me, I wanted to feel... BRIDAL on my wedding day, and not like a princess... if that makes any sense. But that is ME. THIS IS YOUR wedding day, and you look GREAT IN IT. I think it gives a nice heighth to your face. I do like the veiled look without it. I don''t know if a veil AND a tiara would be... too much.

But I was really a fan of keeping things pretty simple. I always envisioned a simple gown w/ my long hair down and flowing w/ a veil caught in a breeze of a beautiful outdoor wedding. I even now wish I had worn my hair down... the only reason I didn''t is because it was AUGUST, and sticky hairspray curls sounded like the worst idea EVER... so I wore it up, we got married INSIDE. Sad Sigh. So my point is.. I think if you don''t do what you originally wanted and "picured" you may have regrets later. Not neccesarily the day of... but in reflection when you think... man, I wish I did it the way I wanted.

At the end of the day, you''ll be married to your best friend... but how do YOU see it, in your head movie? are you wearing a tiara? if so... Wear it, with a HUGE smile! You can pull it off!
35.gif

glueck

Shiny_Rock
Older Bride... that makes me giggle! THIS older bride (32!) is wearing a tiara. Its my humble opinion that its a personality thing.... like wearing a dress with a lot of ruffles..... you wear it or it wears you. If you love it and you can "work it" then why not.

From the pic your tiara looks beautiful, and its an elegant look.

Tiaras dont have to be princessy, and yours isnt. Is DIVINE! a little sparkle around the face is a great thing.

I think you should go for it!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Do what makes you feel most beautiful and most YOU! I think it looks lovely on you, and personally like the bit of sparkle it would add to your gown and veil, but it''s up to you!
1.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
My friend got married at 29 and wore a headband/small tiara (depends on how you see it). It looked fine on her, and not too young at all.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''m 36 and I wore an antique 1920''s tiara made of wax orange blossoms.

All ages can wear tiaras - I do think that the older you are the better quality you need to go for (but that tends to go for most things. I could get away with most things clothes-wise when I was 18, now I definitely buy better quality fabrics and cut).

It may be a UK thing - as we have more chances of wearing a tiara to other events - but I''ve never known them go out of fashion.

I liked the tiara you have chosen on you - and with your dress.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
hi there! trust me, you are not old :) I am 32, so we are in the same boat...almost :)

I tired on my dress w/ and w/o sparkle on my head and I have to say, I preferred the sparkle. I am not ahuge fan of the over the top tiara crowns, but a headband or combor low lying tiara, like the one in your photo is very nice.

I wish I had photos of my head band, its gorgeous. I say, its your wedding day, do what makes you happy and makes you feel special :)

enfianced

Shiny_Rock
I''m usually not a tiara fan, but the pic of it on you looks great. It''s subtle enough to pull off, I think.

lovesparklies

Shiny_Rock
So many of your responses made me smile -- you''re all too sweet and funny! I appreciate your honest opinions. I''m still torn about what to do but have a few weeks to decide before it''ll be too late to order the tiara. I''ve thought about ordering it and then making a game-time decision whether to wear it on my wedding day, but the tiara is about $450 and that''s an expensive thing to not end up wearing. My FMIL and FI tell me to get whatever I want for my wedding day and not worry about the price, but I''m all about value for your money and I''m not sure if the tiara adds $450-worth to my ensemble. KWIM? I''ve always been kind of princessy though and would wear a tiara around the house if I had one! LOL. Apparently I need to move to the UK so I would have more opportunities to wear a tiara in public!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hee hee, I wore a tiara when I got married in 2003 at age 26 (no veil), and now I''m 31 and going through a divorce...no engagement or wedding in sight (heck, not even dating!) but if I ever get married again I''m wearing a CROWN!!!

Humor aside, I don''t think tiaras are necessarily "in" or "out" of vogue, I think it''s the wearer that makes the look appealing or not. It is a great way to express your personality on your wedding day by wearing a headpiece that is pretty and sparkly. I love yours!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 8:55:33 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I''d like to preface this with the following: this is totally just my opinion, and I mean no offense to anyone who is wearing a tiara.

As a 29 year old bride, I think I''m too old for a tiara. In general I find them over the top and I wouldn''t choose to wear one at 19 or 29. I think there are so many other lovely options for head/hair pieces out there and I think tiaras are just over done at this point. They''ve ''jumped the shark'' so to speak.

I''m going with a simple flower in my hair and possible a sheer cathedral length veil. If not the flower, then a jeweled comb/clip.
This is how I feel. Like Hudson, I don''t want to offend anyone. I am just giving my honest opinion.

However, the one you posted does appear to be very tasteful and if you feel like it really completes the look for you, then go for it. Though, with a dress that detailed and gorgeous I am not sure you need it. I love your neckline!

lovesparklies

Shiny_Rock
Some of you have said you like my dress -- THANK YOU!! Of course I love it.
9.gif
I thought I''d post a full length photo and one of the back. It''s a Christos dress in case you want to search it out.

The Dress 039.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results