shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Hiya! Been away for a while but thankfully I''ve been able to pop back on more and get my fix these past few days
18.gif

Anyway..

My question is this:

When h2b bought my ering he had it appraised by an independent appraiser to compare it to the appraisal that the jeweler provided with the ring. I''ve been thinking of having another appraisal done and was wondering if I should show the appraiser the two appraisals that I have, simply tell him/her what the two appraisals are OR have him/her appraise it and THEN tell him/her what the other two were OR just have it appraised and keep my big mouth shut? (Probably the best actually
20.gif
)

Just curious about what''s proper
1.gif

**This is just some useless rambling and has nothing to do with the original post...

The other day I had to take CE classes and during lunch I dropped my ring off at the jeweler where he bought it from. I had them slice, dice, chop and re-rhodium it. Those were the longest three and a half hours of my life! I thought I was going to be sick to my stomach during the entire class...I never thought I''d feel so ''naked'' without it
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
Before I took it in the top of the diamond sat 1/4 inch from the top of my finger!! I didn''t realize how high it sat. But I had them cut the prongs down because I kept bashing it into things like door jambs and such..not to mention always getting it caught on things. Apparently I bent one of the prongs past repair..but couldn''t see it with the naked eye (?)...but the diamond was super loose. It kept spinning around in the setting. He was kind enough to inform me that I was one lucky gal. One more good knock and this little rock would have been history! YIKES!
6.gif
I can''t believe how different it looks. It looks like a brand new ring! The best part is that I haven''t hit it on anything yet..maybe it''s working
9.gif

OK..enough rambling..just chit-chattin''
5.gif

blitz

Rough_Rock
My opinion as a gemologist/appraiser: I always ask if there is previous documentation.
1) If you have a grading report from an independent lab such as GIA-GTL, EGL, AGS this means that your gemstone was graded outside of the mounting in a controlled enviroment. This information should be recorded in the report along with the certificate number. Grading in the mounting is limited by the mounting e.g., yellow color of the gold, prongs hiding an inclusion etc...

2) I like to match the item (such as a diamond) to the previous description to make sure they are one in the same.

3) Check to make sure there is no change (damage) to the item.

4) Was the actual weight of the gemstone recorded. This means was the diamond (or gemstone) weighed outside of the mounting. This is important. My recorded weight is an estimate based on a formula for mounted stones.

5) Last, if my grading differs from the previous findings, we can discuss it immediately, face to face and not after the fact.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Good to know. Thanks so much.
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
looks as though your question was answered
2.gif

i just wanted to say.....
hey diamonds!! it''s good to see you again!!!
36.gif

don''t be a stranger!!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results