shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone like Eddie Murphy??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is anyone a Eddie Murphy Fan?

I see he is coming out with another movie on February 9th, where he plays multiple roles again. The hubby and I can''t wait to see it. It looks hilarious.

Linda

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i used to like him and all his movies because he was such a family guy we could all relate to...that is til he divorced his long-time wife and started getting i''m 40+ and having issues like our favorite maverick...dated scary spice, got her pregnant then denounced her and the potential child on TV saying ''it could be anyone''s...'' ...what a classy guy!
14.gif
i just saw EM''s preview on tv last nite and thought we are so not going to see that. just like we never saw MI3.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know, I saw all of that too.
14.gif

But.... the hubby still likes his movies, especially when he plays multiple characters.

Linda

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I like his old stand up...I used to have some on cassette tapes. Pretty funny stuff. I''ve never been into his movies, but I liked his old stuff.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 2:52:28 PM
Author: Mara
i used to like him and all his movies because he was such a family guy we could all relate to...that is til he divorced his long-time wife and started getting i'm 40+ and having issues like our favorite maverick...dated scary spice, got her pregnant then denounced her and the potential child on TV saying 'it could be anyone's...' ...what a classy guy!
14.gif
i just saw EM's preview on tv last nite and thought we are so not going to see that. just like we never saw MI3.
If I was a bloke and broke up with a woman who got pregnant during the relationship, then I would not publicly denounce her that way. If I had suspicions then I would wait until the baby was born and obtain paternity testing. It's like the whole Liz Hurley/Steve Bing thing. The thing is, men aren't the only one's who cheat and if men do have a suspicion, then find out first who the daddy is before shooting their mouths off.

Was never a huge Eddie fan though. Loved him in Beverly Hills Cop (first one but not sequels) but not much else.

Oh, used to like Tom Cruise too but got turned off him like most people. So didn't see MI3 either.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 2:41:29 PM
Author:Linda W

I see he is coming out with another movie on February 9th, where he plays multiple roles again. The hubby and I can''t wait to see it. It looks hilarious.

Linda
I have always liked him but this past year or two I''ve kinda lost some of the luster.... I''m actually waiting to see if the paternity of scary spice''s baby turns out he is the father or not because if he is and he bad mouthed the situation HIS pe~is got him involved in then I''m going to be pretty disappointed. It''s not any of my business but keep your dang mouth shut or I get an opinion! I liked him much better when he was a husband and family man.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 2:52:28 PM
Author: Mara
i used to like him and all his movies because he was such a family guy we could all relate to...that is til he divorced his long-time wife and started getting i''m 40+ and having issues like our favorite maverick...dated scary spice, got her pregnant then denounced her and the potential child on TV saying ''it could be anyone''s...'' ...what a classy guy!
14.gif
i just saw EM''s preview on tv last nite and thought we are so not going to see that. just like we never saw MI3.
omg I did NOT read ahead ROFL!!!! I shoulda just quoted and said ITA!!! LMAO!!!

sistagrl2004

Shiny_Rock

Linda
I don''t like him as a comedian. I think the upcoming movie is another one disrespectful to black women He''s always presenting the skinny woman as the prize and the big black woman as loud, tacky, ugly and someone to run from. I find it tasteless.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 6:16:47 PM
Author: sistagrl2004

Linda
I don''t like him as a comedian. I think the upcoming movie is another one disrespectful to black women He''s always presenting the skinny woman as the prize and the big black woman as loud, tacky, ugly and someone to run from. I find it tasteless.
I''m probably gonna get a lashing from lots of you out there but look at a lot of the video clips by gangsta rappers and hip hop or whatever it''s now called - misoginistic. Since when is it acceptable to refer to women as bit¢hes and hos.

sistagrl2004

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 4:08:07 PM
Author: Sparkster

Linda
I''m probably gonna get a lashing from lots of you out there but look at a lot of the video clips by gangsta rappers and hip hop or whatever it''s now called - misoginistic. Since when is it acceptable to refer to women as bit¢hes and hos.
I don''t think it IS acceptable to call women either of these terms, but I am not sure what that has to do with Eddie Murphy. I have never heard him use THOSE terms. He just seems to do the SAME "formula" for his comedic movies and it gets old.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 4:16:38 PM

Date: 2/1/2007 4:08:07 PM
Author: Sparkster

Linda
I don''t think it IS acceptable to call women either of these terms, but I am not sure what that has to do with Eddie Murphy. I have never heard him use THOSE terms. He just seems to do the SAME ''formula'' for his comedic movies and it gets old.
I agree with you - he doesn''t use those terms. sistagrl2004 comment about him being disrespectful to quote ''black women'' just made me think that he''s not the only one being disrespectful, ie those horrible video clips by other people. It was more about the fact that people who make these movies, video clips think it''s acceptable.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Coming to America is one of my all time favorites, and I thought the rolls he played in Nutty Professor where hysterical...I just think he is a talented guy and sooo funny...

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondfan,

DH and I love him in The Nutty Professor. We still laugh our fannies off everytime we watch it.

Linda

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
I liked him back in his stand up comedy days, now I dont know I just dont really get him. We will probably go see the movie though just because there isnt much else out.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Linda, you have to rent Coming to America. It is still a movie DH and I laugh watching, we know almost all the dialogue, and it is funny and sweet at the same time.

I used to love his standup, I remember seeing Raw in the theaters and nearly peeing myself...he was in his prime.

Loved Bevery Hills Cop, 48 Hours and Trading Places, just loved them. I am not really focusing on his private persona and life. I do not know the ins and outs, and if we really are honest, most of the stars are acting pretty vile. Tom Cruise, Michael Richards, Mel Gibson...I could boycott a movie no issue if someone really is out of line (Mel, are you listening?) but someone getting a divorce, when I do not know what their marriage was about, well, I am not going to get too high and mighty...I know the Hollywood environment from growing up in Los Angeles and having friends and family in the business and it is a tough life, all the scrutiny and image making...I try to remind myself of just everyday life, how tough it can be, and add to that all the stuff that comes with fame...so while I do not like adulterers and people who make really bad or poor choices, I feel I cannot sit in too much judgment where most of these people are concerned...

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamondfan,

LOVE those movies of his. We watch them every time they are on TV. Beverley Hills Cop is still one of our all time favorites.

I know what you mean about movie stars. My dad was a DJ and a News Man at a Radio Station in San Francisco. I grew up listening to him on the radio. I was so proud of him. He was mentioned in the S.F. Chronicle a few weeks back. I guess he will always be remembered, makes me so proud of him. He passed away almost 3 years ago. The stories he used to tell us about some of the people.
6.gif

Linda

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah honestly the shine has worn off mel gibson as well for me too. sorry i just can't look at these people after seeing them slapped all over the news and magazines and NOT think about all the drama or bad decisions they have made. of course almost every celeb in the news or mags but there are a handful where you are just like 'what are you thinking?' when they do things, and it totally colors my view of them in the future with movies and all that too.

coming to america was one of the best movies ever!!! love the soul-glo!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sorry about your dad, I lost mine in 1981 when I was 15. It still makes me sad. I am glad you have wonderful memories and that he was so admired and respected. That is something to feel good about and no one can take it away from you.

I remember so many scenes from Coming to America, it is just a riot. When they have him meeting the chosen bride in Zamunda and she is hopping on one leg and barking like a dog...and the characters he played were so funny. I love the scene in the bar with Arsenio where they are trying to find a suitable bride... And loved Shari Headley's jewels at the end..not too shabby. ...just let your soul glo...

I think, even though stars of course know some of the price they will pay for being famous, that it is still such an invasive and difficult way to live. All of their choices, good bad and ugly, are front page news. And let's face it, some of them, notwithstanding being talented or famous for their looks, are maybe not the nicest or most classy people...but we see them in a certain light til they crash down from the thrones we put them on. So, for now, unless it is really something vile and inexcusable, I can still spend a few bucks to see one of their films, though I am not rushing out to see Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson flicks, and I think I had a really tough time with Woody Allen for the longest time!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 11:32:16 PM
Author: diamondfan
I am sorry about your dad, I lost mine in 1981 when I was 15. It still makes me sad. I am glad you have wonderful memories and that he was so admired and respected. That is something to feel good about and no one can take it away from you.

I remember so many scenes from Coming to America, it is just a riot. When they have him meeting the chosen bride in Zamunda and she is hopping on one leg and barking like a dog...and the characters he played were so funny. I love the scene in the bar with Arsenio where they are trying to find a suitable bride... And loved Shari Headley''s jewels at the end..not too shabby. ...just let your soul glo...

I think, even though stars of course know some of the price they will pay for being famous, that it is still such an invasive and difficult way to live. All of their choices, good bad and ugly, are front page news. And let''s face it, some of them, notwithstanding being talented or famous for their looks, are maybe not the nicest or most classy people...but we see them in a certain light til they crash down from the thrones we put them on. So, for now, unless it is really something vile and inexcusable, I can still spend a few bucks to see one of their films, though I am not rushing out to see Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson flicks, and I think I had a really tough time with Woody Allen for the longest time!
OMG don''t get me started on Woody Allen. He just creeps me out!!!
32.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results