shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone do tri-tip in the oven?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just bought a beautifuly-marbeled tri-tip at Costco.
I usually cook it in my crotch pot, but I'm in the mood for that crispy skin you can only get from the Maillard-reaction in an old-school oven. :P2

I could google up recipes, but I'm slumming for your personal experience.
Marinade?
Sauce?
Oven Temp?
Internal temp?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is this a duck dish ?
I love duck, its delicouse
But even though i can wolf down lamb and beef no worries i have trouble with duck because - not that lambs arnt cute - but i just love ducks too much

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
We did a reverse sear on a rib roast at the holidays, and it was fantastic.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this a duck dish ?
I love duck, its delicouse
But even though i can wolf down lamb and beef no worries i have trouble with duck because - not that lambs arnt cute - but i just love ducks too much

Tri-tip is the 2 lb triangle of meat at the tip of the sirloin.
It is rich in meaty flavor and lower in fat than other cuts.

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 3.16.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 3.14.33 PM.png

Last edited:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We did a reverse sear on a rib roast at the holidays, and it was fantastic.

Works great on tri-tip also!

I have done ours this way with and without marinating. With marinade is my favorite. DH prefers without. Marinade is usually garlic granules, fresh ground pepper, balsamic vinegar, smoked paprika, and either a pinch of salt or a small splash of soy sauce. Without marinade is basically the same but cooked immediately rather than sitting for a day or two or four...

Cook to whichever temperature inside you prefer. I do anywhere from 110 to 130 depending on our intentions. If it is larger and going to be reheated in a sauce or as a French dip, I go lower and serve the more cooked ends the first night. If it is going to be sliced for cold sandwiches, I aim for a bit higher to be appetizing that way.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tri tip can really be tough unless you cook it low and slow. I would brown it in a skillet then pop it in the oven but wrap it in bacon first to keep in the juices. I place ours on top of a bed of celery, carrots an tons of small onions. I periodically baste it . . Slice thin And serve au ju.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the delicious suggestions.
Please keep em coming.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What’s a “crotch” pot? Sounds fascinating.......;-)

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my favorites on the grill -- fat rare end for the boys and skinny medium-well for the girls (or vice-versa). I always make it on a hot grill. When I run out of gas, I pan-sear on all sides in cast iron on the stovetop and slide the whole thing into a 350 - 400 F oven until 135 via ThermaPen at thickest point. Remove and rest for 10 min before slicing. I start slicing at the thin end and usually need to give it a half-turn 'til I'm sure I'm cutting perpendicular to the grain (I always seem to guess wrong).

You can marinate or season beforehand any way you normally like. I like a lot of red wine vinegar, soy sauce, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon, herbs, and tons of black pepper. After marinating, I save the "spent" marinade and sterilize/reduce it on the stovetop while the meat is cooking (15 min?) until it's slightly thick, then whisk it and spoon it down the middle of the "fanned" slices.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results