shape
carat
color
clarity

Anybody tried the Konmarie purging method?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. My husband and I have been doing it since Christmas. We started with her exact method - and did our clothes first. That alone has been life changing. We did the huge pile, decided that we would not be able to sleep until it was sorted through, opened a bottle or two of wine, and started sorting. We did not keep anything that did not fit, that we did not love, and that we did not have sentimental attachment to. Her folding method also allows you to fit a remarkable amount of clothes into a drawer - way more than the way we were doing before. So between the two things it's been amazing. Before it never felt like there was enough space. Now we have empty drawers. We're 3 months later and it's maintained. The laundry never piles up because it's obvious what is laundry. Everything has a home. I have found clothes I had forgotten I had (in a good way). Mornings are no longer chaotic with us not being able to find an outfit to wear (which was daily before). We fold things together and it feels nice instead of an argument like it had been before.

Then we kept decluttering and organizing but did not follow her method. So far we have done the clothes, the pantry, the bedrooms, the linen closets, and the bathrooms. We have yet to tackle the books, the kitchen, the basement, or the garage. Next up will probably be the kitchen.

For me it is nice that we are both committed to doing it and we have been keeping it up. Without the show I wouldn't have gotten DH on board. Now it doesn't feel so overwhelming, as we have a way to talk to each other about what we want to keep vs what we want to declutter, and it has been nice to see how nice it is to make sure that everything really does have a home and that we are only keeping what we truly love and use. We were never messy before, but it's way better now. I almost feel like I'm living in my mom's home, and that's saying something.

Okay... now I really have to watch this show. I'm on a mission.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 here you go. Warning, I binge watched. The book is also pretty good. Get it from the library so as not to add to clutter:twisted2:

Screenshot_20190314-134829.png

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 here you go. Warning, I binge watched. The book is also pretty good. Get it from the library so as not to add to clutter:twisted2:

Screenshot_20190314-134829.png

I'm on it!! ...and I'll listen on Audible, because I'm too lazy to read -- errr, I mean, as not to clutter. ;-)

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is going to sound silly. I could never feel that I measured up in adulthood as my house was always a disaster and my parent's house is always so neat and tidy. But now that we are organized and generally keeping up with it, I feel that our house is just so much more peaceful and relaxing. And it doesn't feel hard - it's just a few minutes here or there to keep it up rather than it feeling like an overwhelming giant multi-day never-ending chore. People can pop in and I wouldn't be mortified. I finally feel like an adult in an adult home, and it's really, really nice.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am really wanting to do this... we plan to build a home in 2020, and I want to use that as a great excuse to declutter and REALLY get rid of stuff we don't/won't use anytime in the near future. We have a walk-in closet that is "mine" and I have a huge long dresser packed to the brim... my poor husband has to use the spare bedroom's closet for his stuff. (yikes!)

Would you mind sharing the name of the Netflix series? I think it would be therapeutic for me to try to adopt this decluttering method... for life.

:appl::appl:That's so fun - building a custom home! Stressful at times, but it will sure be amazing when everything is done. Best of luck for everything! Can't wait to hear more about it.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is going to sound silly. I could never feel that I measured up in adulthood as my house was always a disaster and my parent's house is always so neat and tidy. But now that we are organized and generally keeping up with it, I feel that our house is just so much more peaceful and relaxing. And it doesn't feel hard - it's just a few minutes here or there to keep it up rather than it feeling like an overwhelming giant multi-day never-ending chore. People can pop in and I wouldn't be mortified. I finally feel like an adult in an adult home, and it's really, really nice.

yes, that's the whole point i was telling my hubby. He would invite friends (like for poker games:x2) sometimes without giving me notice (or this is his version of notice... "oh so and so and I are on our way back now, love ya!" kind of notice....). He doesn't do that as much anymore, as I have gotten so upset whenever he did that, it used to freak me out. I mean seriously, I am in my pjs, always on a day when i don't feel like washing my hair.... etc, on top of that my house is a mess, kids' toys everywhere! On the other hand, he never thought it's a big deal. I want my house to be nice and clean, and I don't want to feel mortified when friends/relatives just want to come by or even just drop off some stuff.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@bibiloves what about something like a coffee table with storage under it? Lots of options if you Google search. Some show plastic bins stacked neatly underneath. Others are more built in. I have seen some great ones of this style you might check out options.
https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/p...able-with-lift-top-stools-rdbs1818.html?piid=

I saw some really neat Lego storage ideas one day. I am trying to see if I can find them again....

ETA: here is one Lego option that is sort of cool and doesn't depend on being sorted by size and color each time. https://www.thescrapshoppeblog.com/diy-giant-fabric-bins-lego-storage/

I find Legos are the hardest to store, and I am referring to the sets that is completed and you don't want to take apart. My kids are really into legos and they earn them with good grades and completing their chores. So we have some very gigantic set that they took weeks to build (on and off). We have been trying to find display case, but these cases only hold so many.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl::appl:That's so fun - building a custom home! Stressful at times, but it will sure be amazing when everything is done. Best of luck for everything! Can't wait to hear more about it.

Thanks! :)

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I really do love my clothes folded into little squares and "filed" in the drawers so I can see everything.

Still Kondo-izing my jewelry box and have a ton of pearls to sell. Just listing them all will be quite a job. Maybe part of the reason for procrastination is how horrible it fees to face all the money you (and by "you" I mean "me") spent on things you no longer use or want.

From now on, I'll have to keep in mind that I only have two ears, one neck, two wrists and ten fingers, thus limited need for jewelry. (Just kidding haha).

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Anyone else still doing this?

I sort of am, but I'm not doing that tearing apart a whole room at a time thing.

So, I just finished de-cluttering the jewelry box and got about $3,200 from my sales.

And I cleared out a whole dresser drawer full of fabric.

Also cleared out all the empty jars from under the kitchen sink.

Husband shredded a ton of old papers.

So, progress yay. Anyone else?

Last edited:

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats, seaurchin!!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone else still doing this?
I'm tackling my pantry one shelf at a time. I have recollection of how all that stuff got in there.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i used to abide by when it doubt throw it out but after almost 19 years of living in a one bedroom 45m2 flat we brought a 4 bedroom house and its like we had nothing to put in it:-o
im the one that's been buying all your vintage blue mountain pottery from ebay :P2 (well its called trade me in NZ) and your calton wear:wavey:

i have read this is the first time that 2 generations are downsizing at once
i got 3 lovelly art deco China cabinets and a big old oak piece im restoring and repurposing into a drinks cabinet!

what i loved about the show was the wee Japanese lass was so kind and respectful and carring and polite. She is a pure joy
and i loved how she encouraged talking to the clothes

we do have one rule on our new (1950s) house
if its not beautiful (to us) or if its broken out it goes
life is too short not to use the good stuff
as an example we had a crystal milk jug and sugar bowl that belonged to mum
she never actual liked it but got it as a gift from her SIL
the jug had a chip so i threw it out and repurposed the bowl for our cat -( cats do appreciate nice things and I'd hate to eat of plastic)
and i must admit i do have a few broken pieces im keeping for a bird bath project
We did still throw a lot of stuff out when we moved - its amazing the clutter one holds onto - and we threw more ugly stuff out when we unpacked
but its lovelly to have all my nice China out of its boxes from when it was all packed up in our garage for years and years

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am @seaurchin. Past week, I went through kids clothes and brought a large box of shoes and clothes to my friend with younger kids. They grow so quickly, lot of their stuff is barely worn. Rest went to recycling.

I'm have been decluttering the pantry since January. Using up food and getting rid of stuff I bought for a recipe but never got around to it. Just made a fruit crisp with canned blueberries that have been in the pantry for a while. Added fresh peaches that were about to go bad and a topping of muesli and shredded coconut. Came out great. I'm trying to be very honest with myself while food shopping about new ingredients. If I'm not using it in my meal plan for that week, it stays in the store.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a constant process for me. We were looking at moving but it didn't work out, so now we're focusing on restructuring our current space to make it work better for us. Let the Purge continue! I also did my classroom today (clerical day) that felt REALLY good to do!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results