shape
carat
color
clarity

Anybody have any Ippolita, Slane and Slane, etc. sterling?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want some long chain necklaces and there are a lot of them in sterling because gold is so expensive, apparently. I usually only buy gold and platinum, because I worry about sterling tarnishing and I don't want to fool with that. Although, maybe some sterling jewelry is rhodium plated to keep it from tarnishing?

I just wondered if anyone had any designer sterling pieces, and if so, how do they hold up?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Anybody have any Ippolita, Slane and Slane, etc. sterlin

Sometimes I notice a person wearing what looks to me to be sparkling shiny sterling silver jewelry.
I ask them how they keep it from tarnishing.
Invariable they say, "Nothing,I just wear it every day".

I thing constant rubbing on stuff just rubs off the tarnish before it can build up.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1363481445|3406748 said:
I just wondered if anyone had any designer sterling pieces, and if so, how do they hold up?

No Ippolita or Slane and Slane Sterling, although I have some Ippolita gold piece or another. I forget what. I think earrings. But as you may recall from old threads, I inherited some sterling Georg Jensen jewelry from my mother. That has held up well. Of course there were no chains involved, but I don't think that matters. There were all kinds of other pieces! I have to go looking for them one day. I remember that there was even a lipstick holder!

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF|1363487933|3406830 said:
diamondseeker2006|1363481445|3406748 said:

No Ippolita or Slane and Slane Sterling, although I have some Ippolita gold piece or another. I forget what. I think earrings. But as you may recall from old threads, I inherited some sterling Georg Jensen jewelry from my mother. That has held up well. Of course there were no chains involved, but I don't think that matters. There were all kinds of other pieces! I have to go looking for them one day. I remember that there was even a lipstick holder!

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

Hi, Deb, yes, I remember you saying that! I have a feeling everything was probably better made back then, but on the other hand, they may do something to the silver now to help it stay shiny and untarnished. I just don't want to waste a few hundred finding out! I really prefer white or yellow gold, but I wouldn't mind having a couple of these others, too. It is so sad that gold is so high now!!! There is a long necklace in white gold that I am considering from Roberto Coin, also. I just want to be careful and get pieces that won't go out of style. (If you haven't seen it, go take a look at FancyDiamond's new long platinum and diamond necklace in Show Me the Bling! It is gorgeous!!! [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/salute-to-the-craftsman-who-made-my-diamond-necklace.186742/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/salute-to-the-craftsman-who-made-my-diamond-necklace.186742/[/URL] )

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock

I used to make a ton of sterling items for myself since I can't wear nickel and was on a budget.

I keep my sterling items in airtight plastic baggies. I find some cities have more smog or something that tarnishes items faster - LA is ridiculous! Toronto wasn't that bad. The items I would wear everyday don't tarnish as bad - my baby OEC earrings have a sterling filigree component on it and it stays pretty clean. I have this crazy awesome silver cleaner, I have to look up what it is and how often it's safe to use on items and will report back!

I have a ton of long silver necklaces - if you can find a good bead store that has sterling chains they may have nice thick ones, and be willing to throw a clasp on it for a few bucks! Expect to pay by weight or about $40-50 per foot of chain. A long necklace is usually about 3 feet. I also like this site : beadaholique.com

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock

I currently have TarnX - which seems super toxic but works instantly on tarnished silver. It's a dip that pour out of a bottle. I remember using this one, which gets great reviews too!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B000QRARKU/ref=mw_dp_cr

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock

Holy crap I just saw the prices on those necklaces! Definitely find a good bead store in your area - some make items for you, many have semi-precious beads, too! To put it in perspective, my 14k white gold leverback earring wires were something like $25 each at the bead store. Do you live near a big city? Another option is etsy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

If you want silver chains, I recommend signing up for a Rio Grande account. And for gold chains too. And other findings. I use them for a range of things I buy. For example, I'm allergic to the weird metals used in all the fun fashion earrings I like to buy at places like banana republic, old navy, j crew... and even Nordstroms. So I buy earring hooks/posts in gold plate and silver and switch out them out so I can wear the earrings I really like. Just takes a pair of jewelry pliers you can buy from any bead shop (or from Rio Grande).

I have a crush on Ippolita's stuff. But find I can get very similar looking pieces of comparable quality for half the price on etsy. I have several awesome pairs of earrings from etsy in her style-- and the best part is they are real metal-- silver and gold, no plates. You can get her pieces on ebay for less, and i would do that cause the retail on that stuff is crazy.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock

DS, my turn to help you out.
I have these:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/ippolita-rock-candy-teeny-teardrop-earrings/3074137?origin=category&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Silver%2FTurquoise&resultback=7075
in the sterling/clear quartz and they must be plated or coated with something. I've had them out in the open for almost two years and there isn't a speck of tarnish to be found. And true confession time...I have not worn them since I got my WF diamond huggies in October. If money was no object I'd have more Ippolita; I love their stuff.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

webdiva...thanks for the great info! I actually know someone who makes jewelry like you are talking about, so I'll bet she could help me! Thanks for the silver polish recs, too!

Gypsy....I have a huge preference for white and yellow gold, really. But many of the designer long necklaces in gold are over $2000+. And I am looking on ebay! The thought of etsy had not crossed my mind, great idea. And I will definitely check out RioGrande because I have been looking for a chain for something else as well! Thanks!

texaskj...oh, I love those! The colors I am most after are black, white, and turquoise! So maybe Ippolita does coat their sterling! I'll consider them then!

Thank you all!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock

I just remembered...
www.pradman.com
I found them on Etsy, but I think they're on Ebay now.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

texaskj|1363755907|3409313 said:
I just remembered...
www.pradman.com
I found them on Etsy, but I think they're on Ebay now.

Beautiful! And almost exactly what I am looking for! I might ask them to price them in 14k for me, just to see. Probably would be less than the designer brands in sterling. Thanks!!!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

Hi DS,
I have several of the Ippolita pieces in rose gold (rose over sterling) and love them. I have also given sterling pieces as gifts and none of them have tarnished (including necklaces and earrings). I met the owner/designer at a trunk show at Neiman's last year and I remember her telling me she uses a different mix for her silver which makes it especially bright. I just can't remember if the pieces are plated,too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pinkjewel|1364225305|3412931 said:
Hi DS,
I have several of the Ippolita pieces in rose gold (rose over sterling) and love them. I have also given sterling pieces as gifts and none of them have tarnished (including necklaces and earrings). I met the owner/designer at a trunk show at Neiman's last year and I remember her telling me she uses a different mix for her silver which makes it especially bright. I just can't remember if the pieces are plated,too.

Great! That is very helpful! I'd love to see your pieces!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock

I have an 18k Ippolito hammered band I got 2 Christmases ago through a Friends and family event.(still quite pricey) I love it, but sadly I've got some arthritis issues with my knuckles and I can't get it on anymore:(

imageuploadedbytapatalk_hd1364232843.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is so pretty, Elisa! I am sorry to hear that you cannot wear it, though!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results