shape
carat
color
clarity

Any vegans?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I’m adopting a plant - based vegan lifestyle for a while to see if it will help some of my health issues. I was vegetarian for years (brought chicken and fish into my life for the past 20 years tho) and so am no stranger to vegetarian meals, but not using any animal products (except honey) is a challenge. Any websites you can recommend? Any supplements I should consider beyond the B12 and omega 3’s I’m taking? I’d love to hear your story and any positivity you can provide. The studies I’m reading give mixed results for long term health.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re on Facebook follow So Vegan- they are really enthusiastic and have some great recipes, they also have at least one cookbook out. Good luck with the change!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As Snowdrop advised there are FB groups that share recipes for Vegan meals and advice on how to be healthy while vegan and you might find them helpful.

I was vegan for over 3 decades but stopped a few years ago due to health reasons which I think I shared with you. It isn't for everyone but it sure is a kinder way to eat and I wish I could go back to being vegan. I loved eating vegan and miss it.

However now I am a Pescatarian and eat mainly vegan (no dairy, no red meat, no chicken, no turkey, no pork, no eggs etc) but have added fish in to my diet since I had to cut out beans, nuts and seeds, as for me they are inflammatory. If you are interested in the why google Plant Paradox.

Good luck with your vegan lifestyle and hope it works out well for you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Begonia, I am not a vegan, but I am a vegetarian. I don't have a particular website to recommend unfortunately. I am also taking B12. I take it once a week and the dose is 1000 mcg. Can you tell me more about how much B12 you are taking and which kind/how much of Omega 3's? I think I should maybe start taking Omega 3's. A cookbook that I like is The New Moosewood. Other than that I have my old standby's that I make a ton - lentil soup, tortilla soup with black beans, felafel. There are some awesome recipes for veggie burgers out there, but I always just buy the frozen ones as a time saver. I wish you all the best in your new vegan lifestyle, and I hope it does help your health.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Begonia and @OdetteOdile and anyone else taking B12 consider taking the Methylcobalamin form (and perhaps the Adeno and hydroxy forms of B12 but not the Cyano form) and also taking Folate (not folic acid) with your B12. It also depends on your genetic makeup so if you did 23 and me or another genetic eval that would be helpful in determining the B12 and other supplement forms you might need.

Also be aware your body can only absorb small amounts of B12 at a time so you might consider taking it in smaller doses throughout the day.

Before taking any supplements you should test and see what you need and what you do not need.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been vegan and vegetarian over the years. But, the things that finally helped my autoimmune disorder and associated pain was shifting to plant-based and eliminating grains, cow dairy, vegetable oils. I also limit carbs to 30 g/day. Its basically Keto with some high-quality meat/eggs and lots of good fats. I basically have a fat-fueled diet, not carbs. It took a few months, but my pain has nearly disappeared and I feel much better. Everyone has their own journey to health. Keep trying until you find yours.

I also take Magnesium, Vitamin K2 + MK-7, Vitamin E, and Omega 3s. Most western diets are exceedingly low in Magnesium leading to a host of issues and you need the K2/MK-7 and E to completely absorb it.

If you curious, this podcast discusses a range of diet and health matterns. Podcast. https://drhyman.com/podcast/

To your questions :), blogs I like that are vegan:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lately, my recipe go-to has been YouTube. There's so much content there for any lifestyle and eating choice. Video quality is great and people are very passionate about making cooking videos.

I'm vegetarian most of the time, occasionally vegan, sometimes I eat seafood. My usual vegan breakfast is overnight oats or muesli with almond or coconut milk and some fruit. Lots of fresh figs these past few weeks as my fig bushes have ripe figs. Vegan lunch option is "cream" of broccoli or cauliflower soup. I blend veggies with silken tofu and can of chickpeas to thicken up soup. It does taste creamy.

I also buy meat alternatives like Beyond meat crumbles and burgers. I make great Shepard's pie with vegan meat crumbles. Can't wait for impossible burger to become available in my local supermarket. People have varying opinions on faux meat but I tried Impossible burger in a restaurant and really enjoyed it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also to add to @rockysalamander ’s informational post you might want to consider avoiding soy. Soy can be inflammatory for many people who have AI issues. But as with all things each individual is different and you will come up with a way of eating that works for you tailored to your specific requirements and tolerances.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have any Vegan advice for you Begonia but wish you success in your new diet. I radically changed my diet for health reasons and can say that diet can be key in how you feel both physically and mentally. I thought the reason I was healing slower and suffering aches and pains was because I was getting older. I am amazed at how fast cuts and scrapes heal now and how my arthritis pain and back pain has disappeared. I wish you the same results. Good luck!

bqueen2kt

Rough_Rock
Also to add to @rockysalamander ’s informational post you might want to consider avoiding soy. Soy can be inflammatory for many people who have AI issues. But as with all things each individual is different and you will come up with a way of eating that works for you tailored to your specific requirements and tolerances.
Missy, is there a brand of B-12 you prefer?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, is there a brand of B-12 you prefer?

I buy all my supplements from Emerson Ecologics. I use Pure Encapsulations B12 and I use the methyl form the majority of the time and mix it up with the adeno and hydroxy form occasionally.

You can purchase from Pure Encapsulations directly which I occasionally do if Emerson is out of what I want.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Begonia thanks for starting this thread! I’ve been starting to think about at least swapping my lunch on weekdays to vegan for ethical reason.

Unfortunately, I don’t think I could go 100% vegan, and there is no way my husband would be able to cut out meat. But I can still do something!

Anyone have any recommendations for good ground beef or ground turkey alternatives?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Begonia thanks for starting this thread! I’ve been starting to think about at least swapping my lunch on weekdays to vegan for ethical reason.

Unfortunately, I don’t think I could go 100% vegan, and there is no way my husband would be able to cut out meat. But I can still do something!

Anyone have any recommendations for good ground beef or ground turkey alternatives?

Hi @Wewechew so I’m not getting involved in a political discussion and I’m generally not a fan of PETA but they share some helpful info here. HTH

If you can eat beans, seeds, nuts and peas there’s lot of meat alternatives that are yummy. Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods carry many good options too.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
there is no way my husband would be able to cut out meat.

My DH is holding me back, too. It doesn't make sense to make a chicken dinner just for DH, and make something separate for myself.
Men think they need it, cause their Mamas fed it to them.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH is holding me back, too. It doesn't make sense to make a chicken dinner just for DH, and make something separate for myself.

My DH and I never (rarely) eat the same things. He does the cooking though and doesn’t mind making separate dishes for me. I’m in charge of the salad. :kiss:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Most people just don’t know any different and they’ve been indoctrinated all their lives with the idea that animal products are part of a healthy meal. My SO has gone 95% vegetarian, beginning a few years ago when we started cooking together and eating out together. He was basically like, “ I want to cook what you like and I want to eat what you eat—I just never considered that meat NOT being part of a meal was a thing.” He’s a former athlete who played ML baseball and has since dropped 76 lbs, and at 43 is in better shape than he was when he played ball. His mother was a nurse and he and his sister cooked for themselves when they were growing up, so it wasn’t even that his mother made him eat meat (that was MY mother, omg the disordered eating THAT contributed to...) more of just not thinking outside the box (or government propaganda aka Food Pyramid) most Americans are used to.

Just my two cents, and yes a lot of moms from that generation fed their kids meat every meal and thought that was a good thing, but there is also a huge government influence and god forbid you talk about not giving children cows milk to drink all the time...they still serve chocolate dairy milk for lunch at public schools where I live in a blatant attempt to support the dairy industry and I am continually disgusted by that.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ye
Most people just don’t know any different and they’ve been indoctrinated all their lives with the idea that animal products are part of a healthy meal. My SO has gone 95% vegetarian, beginning a few years ago when we started cooking together and eating out together. He was basically like, “ I want to cook what you like and I want to eat what you eat—I just never considered that meat NOT being part of a meal was a thing.” He’s a former athlete who played ML baseball and has since dropped 76 lbs, and at 43 is in better shape than he was when he played ball. His mother was a nurse and he and his sister cooked for themselves when they were growing up, so it wasn’t even that his mother made him eat meat (that was MY mother, omg the disordered eating THAT contributed to...) more of just not thinking outside the box (or government propaganda aka Food Pyramid) most Americans are used to.

Just my two cents, and yes a lot of moms from that generation fed their kids meat every meal and thought that was a good thing, but there is also a huge government influence and god forbid you talk about not giving children cows milk to drink all the time...they still serve chocolate dairy milk for lunch at public schools where I live in a blatant attempt to support the dairy industry and I am continually disgusted by that.
Yes, I agree!
I live in the Southwest, and ranching has had a huge influence on the diets of people in all the Western states. The beef industry is far reaching................they want to kill all the coyotes and wolves to support their product, not to mention killing Americans with steaks and burgers.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH and I never (rarely) eat the same things. He does the cooking though and doesn’t mind making separate dishes for me. I’m in charge of the salad. :kiss:
Sometimes I don't even eat the chicken part of the dinner, and he does't even notice!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes I don't even eat the chicken part of the dinner, and he does't even notice!

Haha that's funny. But I don't think my dh would notice either. Men. LOL

I dated a few vegans in my twenties and they were all so sweet and sensitive and kind. Maybe being vegan makes you a nicer person? Or maybe being a nicer person makes you want to be vegan...But my dh is IMO the best and he eats meat occasionally.

I try not judging what people eat because we were meant to be omnivores and I also don't want to be judged but I do have opinions. I just keep them to myself. ::)

Though I always share what I am thinking with my dh.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We don't use meat substitutes because they often have grain or soy...which we avoid. So, here some ideas of how I offer my meat-loving friends something they love. We eat black-beans (and rice fo rmy kiddo), roasted veggie stuffed portabello mushrooms (vegan mozzarella mixing myokos and so delicious melt nicely), burritos with fresh cole slaw, butternut chili (I sub black and pinto for kidney beans, but that personal), meatless lasagna (roast butternut, smash and mix into sauce+some brewer's yeast; vegan cheese; mushrooms add hearty texture), pasta primavera, Bombay burritos (see below); portabella burgers (see below), vegan mac and cheese (9-year old approved; see below), vegan Sheppard pie (sub lentils for meat, make topping rough smush potatoes).

I have it pretty easy in my house. I make a lot of concessions for my GF/DF kiddo, but my husband eats anything. If he's desperate for something, he can grab lunch or dinner out to scratch the itch. .

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @missy ! I didn’t even think to check PETA out as a resource for this.

@stracci2000 my husband is also a Southerner, so there is no way he would ever give up his red meat or pork. That would be sacrilege!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its tough with mixed meat families, but you should really advocate for what you want to be eating. If he's making chicken, how about you roast veggies and make stuffing in a closed dish? Its just takes time to find what combos work for all.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander thank you for more ideas!

I only started cooking two years ago but have gotten into a rut when I cook. I may have to start hitting Trader Joe’s and branch out with my recepies when it’s my turn to cook 8-)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I came across "Cauli Crumble" by Big Mountain Foods, and ingredient-wise I think it actually is vegan - https://bigmountainfoods.com/products/cauli-crumble/ - also super delicious and versatile.

funny story I was actually looking for the Smart Ground meatless soy crumbles which the market didn't have, but I saw what seemed to be "Cajun Crumbles" and I thought, well, I'm doing fake sloppy joes so cajun seasoning shouldn't be problematic ... Later that night when I opened the package I noticed it wasn't Cajun at all but in fact "Cauli Crumble," crumbles made out of cauliflower and other veggies. I was both aghast at my label misreading and very happy with the ingredients and nutritional profile of the Cauli Crumble. (I limit my intake of soy fake meat products but 2 or 3 times a year I enjoy fake sloppy joes)

Not vegan by the way but vegetarian since 1985. My DH is a meat eater but also willing and happy to eat meatless meals. We joke he eats more salads than I do but it is true, I'd rather eat fruits and yogurt than a green salad. Often he eats his meat meal at lunch and goes veggie with me for dinner but sometimes he fixes a piece of meat to have alongside whatever I've prepared for the evening meal.

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I came across "Cauli Crumble" by Big Mountain Foods, and ingredient-wise I think it actually is vegan - https://bigmountainfoods.com/products/cauli-crumble/ - also super delicious and versatile.

funny story I was actually looking for the Smart Ground meatless soy crumbles which the market didn't have, but I saw what seemed to be "Cajun Crumbles" and I thought, well, I'm doing fake sloppy joes so cajun seasoning shouldn't be problematic ... Later that night when I opened the package I noticed it wasn't Cajun at all but in fact "Cauli Crumble," crumbles made out of cauliflower and other veggies. I was both aghast at my label misreading and very happy with the ingredients and nutritional profile of the Cauli Crumble. (I limit my intake of soy fake meat products but 2 or 3 times a year I enjoy fake sloppy joes)

Not vegan by the way but vegetarian since 1985. My DH is a meat eater but also willing and happy to eat meatless meals. We joke he eats more salads than I do but it is true, I'd rather eat fruits and yogurt than a green salad. Often he eats his meat meal at lunch and goes veggie with me for dinner but sometimes he fixes a piece of meat to have alongside whatever I've prepared for the evening meal.
If beans are in your diet, these are yummy.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ thanks for the recipe - it looks really good - I love lentils!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Thanks for all the helpful advice and shares everyone!
The B12 I take is a lozenge with hydroxocobalamine, methylcobalamine and adenosylcobalamine. The omega’s are from the health food store. Maybe Nordic Naturals?

I was trying the plant paradox diet and it was hard for me. I’m trying this and have reintroduced beans and grains. Today I’m in pain, my trainer had me do more than normal on Friday, or it’s the food. Hard to know what’s going on. Sigh - frustrated today.

Whoops - gotta go start supper, but I’ll finish my thoughts in a bit!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not vegan myself but have some friends who are - I would caution you against taking the word of "bloggers" or YouTubers /Social media influencers etc. They are rarely qualified dietitians and honestly there is a LOT of well -intentioned but mixed-up or incorrect advice floating about. Speak to your doctor or a qualified nutritionist about safely transitioning to veganism without missing vital vitamins & nutrients.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Duly noted GliderPoss.

Was considering giving it a go for a few weeks to see if it will affect my discomfort/pain levels, but truthfully I’m not going to be able to sustain this with a family and working shifts. The return to beans and nuts is not going well - pain has returned.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results