clarity

any special plan for Father's Day?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
will daddy get blings or a BBQ?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
This is my first Father's Day without Dad. So, just like my first Mother's Day after Mom passing, it will be rough.

We will probably go out to the cemetery; it's in an absolutely beautiful country setting high on a hill overlooking miles and miles of wilderness. I've not been there since the interment last August. I've not seen his permanent marker yet.

My Dad; he was the best of the best:

DHS 1932-2010.JPG

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs to you, Holly!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My father had heart valve replacement surgery about two weeks ago and both parents (yes, both!) are still recovering from that, so I'll probably just call them this time. The sibs and I hope to get together at the folks's house on the Fourth.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
My dad and I (along with anyone else who wants to tag along) will be going kayaking, my dad's choice of location. Then, we will be cooking out, I'm already working on homemade bbq sauce and getting the ribs prepped. We will also have macaroni salad, pasta salad, corn on the cob (if I can find some decent looking corn) and a cake my mom's going to make. Dad will be getting some headlamps and dry bags for the boats from me.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aww Holly, I hope you're okay tomorrow. I love that picture of your dad.

We're having our dads and DH's brother and children over tomorrow for a little BBQ dinner. My BIL is recently divorced, so we thought it would be nice if we were all together this year. Let's hope the weather cooperates!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband and I drove to my parents' house last night and we're staying the weekend for Father's Day. Tomorrow we're going to have his favorite meal (steak and potatoes!), and we got him a gift certificate for a fly-fishing trip that he and my husband are going to go on. He'll love it so I'm super excited!

ETA hugs Holly!

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
Holly, this is my second Fathers Day without my dad. It doesn't seem quite as hard as last year, but it's still hard to see everyone celebrating with their dads. Hope

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
So sorry for your losses Holly and Merilenda.

I won't be seeing my Dad tomorrow.

We're going to spend a quiet day at home, BBQ steaks for dinner. Our neighbor's wife and son are out of town so I volunteered my husband to have a beer with him; my husband was none too pleased as he asked to do nothing for two weeks surrounding his birthday (June 21) and Father's Day as his gift (we've been very busy the past few weeks/weekends and he's ready for some down time), so I cancelled and we invited him over to dinner instead. Not sure if he's coming or not.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
HOLLY, I love that picture of your dad; he sounds like an amazing man! sending you a giant hug and thinking of you.

I usually go to the NICU to see my son but hubby will go tomorrow since he watches our other son. Nothing else too exciting.

Happy Father's day DF and all the other awesome pop's out there! :wavey: I hope my dad stops by to see me; I would go visit but my son at home is on oxygen so it is hard to hop in the car and stop by.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1308442122|2949222 said:
My husband and I drove to my parents' house last night and we're staying the weekend for Father's Day. Tomorrow we're going to have his favorite meal (steak and potatoes!), and we got him a gift certificate for a fly-fishing trip that he and my husband are going to go on. He'll love it so I'm super excited!
ETA hugs Holly!

Dad had planned to do that, too! He was dating a lady who had family in Colorado, and he made some plans to go, but instead, he and I went to IL when my sister had surgery. Now that's a gift he would have loved! You'll make your dad very happy!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1308431608|2949140 said:
This is my first Father's Day without Dad. So, just like my first Mother's Day after Mom passing, it will be rough.

We will probably go out to the cemetery; it's in an absolutely beautiful country setting high on a hill overlooking miles and miles of wilderness. I've not been there since the interment last August. I've not seen his permanent marker yet.

My Dad; he was the best of the best:
us too,it has been 4 years since my dad passed away.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
merilenda|1308442130|2949223 said:
Holly, this is my second Fathers Day without my dad. It doesn't seem quite as hard as last year, but it's still hard to see everyone celebrating with their dads. Hope

I'm doing okay, really. I have my moments, but I don't wallow in them. He wouldn't want that.

My mother's death was much more difficult because the family dynamic permanently changed. And, he was just never the same without her. So I'm all right, believing that they are together again.

I'm sorry for your own loss.

And everyone here . . . thank you for your kindness and concern.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
Either part of my post got cut off, or I got distracted and hit submit too early. Hmm. Anyway, I meant to say that I hope you get through the day okay. I think the first year is the hardest. Not that it gets easy after that, but it's always hard to get through the first Fathers Day, first birthday, first Christmas without them.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS, your dad sounds/looks like a great man/father. Thank you for sharing his picture. He raised a daughter who is very sure of herself, kind, and caring. I am glad you are part of the PS community!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most people who know me on PS know that my screen name is a nod to my father...he loves monarch butterflies, and several years ago, when I joined this site, he was 64 and had just been diagnosed with colorectal cancer, which he has BEATEN so far.

Tomorrow I plan to drive down (a half hour) to visit my parents and visit with them for an hour or two. My dad and I are very close, but don't necessarily show it in terms of physical affection. I do things like helping him with his huge expanse of lawn (7 acres), by weedeating or just hand weeding, or pruning, or collecting dead branches after tornadoes/wind storms...or I help both he and my mother by cleaning their huge house that week. They are always and always have been, so generous with me and my brother...I am happy to spend time helping them out whenever I can and every time I devote some of my free time, I am rewarded with quality time with one or both of my parents.

My dad is the best! He wasn't great about expressing his feelings of love towards me verbally, but he provided me with 3 AWESOME cars, a college education, room and board, clothing, expenses, etc., and in return I gave him my Bachelor's diploma. He's definitely the absolute best person I've ever known besides my mother.

I'm probably not articulating my feelings about my father well here, but honestly I don't care...I just wanted to express how much and why I love my father this year and I feel like I did so. Thank you for reading/listening. :wavey:

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm taking my dad to a vintage car rally, which he'll love (and my mother is coming too, which she'll hate, so it's a win win if you know anything about my family dynamic...)

DD got DH some malt whisky, and he's coming to the rally too, so it will be a family day out.

To all the folks here who will be missing their fathers today, I hope you have some wonderful memories and that today isn't too rough.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dad's calling over for lunch and then I'm going to my sister's house tonight with all of our family. Looking forward to it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy123|1308448767|2949268 said:
Happy Father's day DF and all the other awesome pop's out there! :wavey: I hope my dad stops by to see me; I would go visit but my son at home is on oxygen so it is hard to hop in the car and stop by.
thanks Skippy :wavey: guess i'm the only father on HO forum.. :lol:

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
The daddy in this house in part owner of two race horses so his wish was to spend the day with them. When he gets home we ae taking him out to dinner.

I grew up with an abusive father, so I have no happy memories, nor do I miss him. Sorry to sound so cold, but that's just the plain truth.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1308463129|2949377 said:
HollyS, your dad sounds/looks like a great man/father. Thank you for sharing his picture. He raised a daughter who is very sure of herself, kind, and caring. I am glad you are part of the PS community!

Thank you! I feel the same way about you! ;))

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hugsholly!

We had a lunch BBQ with FI family and then dinner at my parents.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep my first Father's Day without my Dad, he died Sept 14, 2010 :(( I miss him....but anyway we are just hanging out at home, both my boys are here visiting their Dad, I got dinner cooking, its always nice to have my family here with me.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Our Father's Day was well celebrated today. Our son and his family came with our granddaughter's BFF. The first part of the afternoon was spent swimming and later on we had a steak barbecue.

Lots of fun and lots of laughing while munching on our wonderful meal - the first al fresco meal of the season! :appl:

I hope everyone enjoyed themselves as much as we did :wavey: .

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
My dad and I went to see Super 8 and then went to Don Pablos for Margaritas and Fajitas. Nothing too exciting but it was nice to spend some time together.

Hugs to those of you without your fathers today <3

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results