shape
carat
color
clarity

Any ladies tried Shellac on their nails?

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
I've heard good things about it but was wondering if it hurts your nails over time?

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you mean no-chip manicures that are UV cured... I do it all the time and LOVE IT.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely love it. I have been getting Shellac manicures for a year (when I don't have a relapse in my no-nail-biting.)

I have not noticed any damage to my nails. However, my nail tech did recommend that you should let your nails breathe for a couple weeks after having 3 or 4 Shellac manicures back-to-back.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I really liked it when I got them!

Mine only lasted for 1 week instead of the 2 its supposed to.

Both of the times that I got them, they just peeled right off my nails with no damage. My best friend's nails do get damaged though...

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love it but my nails were damaged from it so I haven't done it since...

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I got Shellac and loved it. It lasted for 3 weeks the first time and 2 weeks the second. I also did the gel manicure, the OPI one (Shellac is CND, I think) and it destroyed my nails. I won't do that again, but I will do Shellac again.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I've had several shallac manicures over the past 4 months and I'm a big fan. On me they tend to look good for two weeks, fine for another week, and then I need to redo. So far I haven't noticed any damage - they seem much stronger than they were before I was doing shellac.

Although, I suppose I'm not sure which system I've used. Maybe both the OPI and the other one? Didn't really notice a difference.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If they don't last 2 weeks, your technician might be doing it wrong. If it's too thick or goes over onto your skin, it will start to peel sooner. Make sure the person who does it has done it a lot and has gotten good reviews.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I've never heard of shellac on nails. Anyone have any photos? I'm curious!

SC86

Shiny_Rock
I've gotten Shellac (CND) manicures several times and love it. It usually lasts 1.5-3 weeks for me depending on how rough I am with my hands and if the gel was applied in thin coats by the technician. If the tech applies it too thick or applies too many coats it will start to peel sooner than it should. So be sure to go to a reputable salon.

Also please don't confuse Shellac with OPI's Axxium UV Gel, which absolutely destroyed my nails. My nails were weak, splitting and hurt like hell after removal. It literally took 6 months for my nails to grow back healthy! :angryfire: Shellac unlike Axxium can be easily removed with acetone (even at home....don't waste your money going back to the salon to remove Shellac unless you are getting another manicure right afterwards) and never damaged my nails.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
centralsquare|1314591181|3004202 said:
I hate to disappoint you, but the shellac manicures I've had look like any old manicure -- it doesn't add length or anything like acrylic nails. It just looks good longer! I always get white tips with a light-pink base (is that called an American manicure? I can never remember),

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1314593988|3004244 said:
I hate to disappoint you, but the shellac manicures I've had look like any old manicure -- it doesn't add length or anything like acrylic nails. It just looks good longer! I always get white tips with a light-pink base (is that called an American manicure? I can never remember),

So the shellac is just to prolong the manicure? Nothing aesthetic?

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
centralsquare|1314595988|3004273 said:

So the shellac is just to prolong the manicure? Nothing aesthetic?
To my knowledge, it is basically just a different kind of polish that sets with UV rays so it is fully dry when you leave the salon. Nothing aesthetic.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

I think shellac is awesome mainly because it literally stays shiny for as long as the shellac stays on...and on top of that it is thicker than regular polish, much thicker.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
it also is supposed to not chip in addition to lasting longer.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Does it keep your nails from breaking? I always have one nail on each hand that breaks to the quick and then I feel like I have to cut them all short so that it doesn't look stupid. Would the Shellac eliminate that problem?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was using the OPI system after having used Gel on my nails.. it made the "growing out" phase a little smoother but my nails still had to heal after they had grown out.. the way they remove it is so brutal on your nails... I have not used the other product but people do seem to have better results except it doesn't seem to last as long as the OPI

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Mayk|1314618756|3004356 said:
I was using the OPI system after having used Gel on my nails.. it made the "growing out" phase a little smoother but my nails still had to heal after they had grown out.. the way they remove it is so brutal on your nails... I have not used the other product but people do seem to have better results except it doesn't seem to last as long as the OPI

I had one Shellac that they removed wrong (acetone and then a metal stick) and one they removed correctly (acetone and then the orangewood stick), in addition to the terrible OPI incident, and after the one they removed correctly, my nails were so long and so healthy. It was amazing. I'd do it again all the time if CND had more color choices.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I had shellac done before I went on vacation and my nails stayed shiny and chip-free for about 3 weeks. It's too bad that my nails grow fast because the shellac was still going strong when I had to cut my nails and the unpolished half moon started appearing at the base of the nail. I highly recommend it. It was great to be able to drive home from the nail salon without being scared of ruining my manicure.

renogirl

Shiny_Rock
If it's applied correctly by a good technician, it's a long-lasting, chip-free polish. Also, I use lots of sunscreen all the time, and with a regular manicure, the sunscreen lotions will destroy my regular manicure's top coat by eating into the shiny top coat. This doesn't happen with a gel or shellac product. If your nails grow fast, use a natural color or you'll see the growth of your nails too easily. Also, it's completely dry once they're done!!!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Add me to the list of Shellac lovers! Mine generally lasts right at the two week point. I've had different nail techs apply it. If it goes on thick, I'm able to just peel it off my nails. If it's put on very thin, it might last a bit longer, but I have to use the acetone to remove it.

I looooove how it stays shiny. From a distance, if you're not looking at the out-growth, it looks like you've just had your nails done.

And no, I've never experienced any damage from Shellac.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I have tried a couple different nail techs and each time it peeled within a day. My nails are difficult and the only thing that seems to work is full cover glue on nails that are polished.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Shellac might seriously be the single worst product I've ever touched on my body. In terms of worth. I have paid in total $500 to have that product on me by several people and the longest it's ever stayed on me is eleven hours and 43 minutes. It peels right off.

OPI Axxium stays on me, I do get lifting within a few hours and peeling though after about 3 or 4 days. Usually with that Ill put a tiny bit of nail glue around the edges to keep it on a week.

As far as damage, the old place that did my Axxium did serious harm to me, they barely soaked it to scrape it off. This place soaks forever and it comes right off. Neither filed my nails down or buffed them though.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I get the CND Shellac applied to my nails, and I absolutely love it! It's well worth the $25 plus tip that I pay.

When I do my nails myself, the nail polish lasts maybe a day or two before the tips are worn and chipping. If I get a regular manicure, I get maybe 3 days before the tips are worn and I'm lucky if I actually make it from the salon to car without gouging my polish (I still have little ones that need to be buckled into booster seats). Not to mention the whole lack of spare time to sit there for half an hour while regular polish cures.

My favorite color is a pinky champagne pearl color (don't know what it's called), and it's very close to the pink tones of my skin. I've had it on my nails as long as 4 weeks before going to get it redone! Yes, I wind up with new growth, but the color being close to my skin tone makes it less glaringly noticeable. I also have one nail on my right hand that had damage done to the nail bed, so the one side of the nail winds up cracking or peeling all the time. It doesn't do that when I've got the CND on my nails. The best part is that the abuse my nails take from all the computer work, cleaning, etc. doesn't show with the CND! I actually have color on the edges of the nails the entire time the CND is on them. :)

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
yennyfire|1314618339|3004348 said:
Does it keep your nails from breaking? I always have one nail on each hand that breaks to the quick and then I feel like I have to cut them all short so that it doesn't look stupid. Would the Shellac eliminate that problem?

I have the same issue! I damaged the nail bed with a pen knife over 20 years ago (was stupidly bending a leather belt over it to add a hole on a too-big belt, and the pen knife snapped down onto my finger instead), so it's a weak nail when it grows out. It has a vertical groove that is always there (can't see it with the CND), and the left side of the nail is always weak, thin, peeling, etc. It always ruins my manicure as it will show cracks right through regular polish. The CND seems to fill in the weak spot, and I can actually have all 10 nails be the same length as they grow.

My nails seem to grow much faster when I have the CND polish used. I think the edges don't wear down as fast, which is why it seems they grow faster with the CND manicures.

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
ame|1314632901|3004514 said:
Shellac might seriously be the single worst product I've ever touched on my body. In terms of worth. I have paid in total $500 to have that product on me by several people and the longest it's ever stayed on me is eleven hours and 43 minutes. It peels right off.

OPI Axxium stays on me, I do get lifting within a few hours and peeling though after about 3 or 4 days. Usually with that Ill put a tiny bit of nail glue around the edges to keep it on a week.

As far as damage, the old place that did my Axxium did serious harm to me, they barely soaked it to scrape it off. This place soaks forever and it comes right off. Neither filed my nails down or buffed them though.

$500!? How many times have you done it?, and as far as I know that's one of the benefits is theres no prep needed to your nails.
from what I've heard you have to have someone that's experienced with it. Just like anything I guess.

Thanks for all the responses. I do wanna try it. One of my friends does it every 3 weeks and swears by it and told me where to go. I think I'll try it.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
beesha77|1314672092|3005063 said:

$500!? How many times have you done it?, and as far as I know that's one of the benefits is theres no prep needed to your nails.
from what I've heard you have to have someone that's experienced with it. Just like anything I guess.

Thanks for all the responses. I do wanna try it. One of my friends does it every 3 weeks and swears by it and told me where to go. I think I'll try it.

There IS prep needed before applying Shellac. (maybe that's the problem here!) The Shellac application should be preceded by a manicure (filing, buffing, cuticle trimming, etc). Also the nail must be cleaned with alcohol to prep the nail so the product will adhere properly. It is a fairly new product so maybe the techs just don't know yet how to properly apply it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
beesha77|1314672092|3005063 said:

There is DEFINITELY prep work, as there is also with Axxium. There's a lot of cuticle work especially.

I have had it applied 11 times. I also have tried 2 pedicures with it, thinking maybe on my feet it may work. 4 different people, two of which were CND trainers, one of which helped develop the product. I thought it was the person or the application so I kept trying. It's definitely the product. It just does not stick to me. No amount of prep or maintenance works. I didn't even make it home 4 miles from the last one before it had started lifting and peeling itself up. Most places around here charge a minimum of $35 before tip for Shellac and most are "high end" salons. So I was stupid enough to pay over $60 a few times. Once I even went to the Four Seasons Spa for it (other than the Shellac, it was worth every damn cent!)

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
I've had it a week so far and it seemed like the same prep as a regular manicure really. They do cuticles etc when you get a regular manicure and it didn't seem any different in terms of prepping my nail. Either way, I love it so far! I went with a nudish color and the first few days i was so worried it would chip just due to my past experience with manicures. I cannot get 2 days out of a regular manicure before i chip them. So this is awesome so far!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just tried it yesterday and like it a lot.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results