shape
carat
color
clarity

Any ideas where to get white debutante gown?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For my daughter. I am open to preloved. Has to be pure white, plain, classic and with ball gown skirt. Sleeveless to accommodate long gloves.

We apparently should have started looking in June, so we are very late. It’s in February.

Does anyone know of good online places to browse? Thanks.

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
Yes! Dessy.com. Check out the brand Alfred Sung. I had the red satin sweetheart neckline ballgown, and it was gorgeous. Nordstrom also carries Alfred Sung, but I'm not sure if they come in white. The price is reasonable and quality decent, although if you want something more heirloom quality, you may want to look elsewhere (bridal shops?).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not know any online sources, but many bridal shops have them or can order them.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@southernicetea I’ll check it out, thanks.

@diamondseeker2006 we will but I can’t at least until the last weekend in September and I fear that may be too late to order. DD is going to get some friends and check out local places to see.... and @Starfacet has graciously offered to keep an eye out in her area.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sent you some ideas. ;))

Q

Queenie60

@whitewave . I was the Dress Diva for my daughter's debutante ball in 2015. We found a website, Simplybridal.com however it appears that their showroom has closed. Some of the girls purchased their gowns from Davids Bridal, they have a website as well. My only suggestion is to be very cautious about the different whites they offer - there's soft white, stark white, etc. We were very strict about the shades of white as our goal was that all of the girls had the exact same white. In summary - Davidsbridal.com Good luck for you, this is an exciting time.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave . I was the Dress Diva for my daughter's debutante ball in 2015. We found a website, Simplybridal.com however it appears that their showroom has closed. Some of the girls purchased their gowns from Davids Bridal, they have a website as well. My only suggestion is to be very cautious about the different whites they offer - there's soft white, stark white, etc. We were very strict about the shades of white as our goal was that all of the girls had the exact same white. In summary - Davidsbridal.com Good luck for you, this is an exciting time.

Yes, I need to get the rules, because all I know right now is that it has to be white white, pure white, etc and mostly plain. I’m going to add some pics in a minute with heads chopped off lol.

Thanks for the help! Getting the leg fracture really screwed this up for me and I thought we could delay to the following year, but DH found out recently that she is up for this year. (Which we are excited about)

So many preloved I have found are ivory.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
245363D8-7BEE-415C-829A-AC728F42706C.jpeg 03BD555A-5E25-453C-AB0E-8EB14B2E639A.jpeg E7BFCBE3-F107-40A7-A218-619458126644.jpeg 247A3CDA-D117-47CF-8674-A68C5AE6E462.jpeg EC5A367F-58E7-462A-A715-0CA4DD30067A.jpeg 70C5E4F0-5BF9-4A74-B434-1B0A5F3DCA4C.jpeg

The really poofy dress was 7k lol. And I think they cracked down after that because of her bodice.

It looks like strapless is the way to go. My daughter also needs to get a measuring tape so we can figure out label size vs. street size.

Q

Queenie60

@whitewave - this is the problem with preloved, the dresses will turn an ivory color if not stored properly. Try Davids Bridal - they have many gowns to chose from. However, get the rules down as our organization did not allow strapless, back side of dress had rules as well, very strict. And shade of white as we wanted all of the dresses to be the exact same shade of white as it does show in the photos. Exhausting but fun time!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave - this is the problem with preloved, the dresses will turn an ivory color if not stored properly. Try Davids Bridal - they have many gowns to chose from. However, get the rules down as our organization did not allow strapless, back side of dress had rules as well, very strict. And shade of white as we wanted all of the dresses to be the exact same shade of white as it does show in the photos. Exhausting but fun time!

Thank you!!! Yes, I’m going to be frazzled! That weekend is crazy busy.

I also have to start getting the outside of my house fixed up and my garden put back together (Hawthornes were diseased and blackberry brambles took over the whole garden) because before the event, the officers of the organization come by and do a proclamation for my daughter and then we offer them light food and beverages and they spend all day going to visit all the girls.

My housekeeper is dying and in hospice and I have been out of commission since March with my leg, and my kids moved home from the summer with all of their stuff and somehow they went back to school and shit is still in my dining room:confused:

I bought porch mildew cleaner yesterday because I can do that.... stand in one place and spray and my white columns look so amazing now lol.

So I have to do round up, put down a premergence weed killer and then find someone to put topsoil back, put my garden back and then mulch it. (My garden used to be so gorgeous).

And then there are the grandmas. My MIL (mild dementia) is missing 2 teeth and won’t get them fixed (I have offered a hundred times) so I have to find her a flipper or grill to wear that night. My mother is a whole different story, so I have to buy her a dress, get her here and hire a minder for the two grandmas. I have to call in a minute and reserve about 7 hotel rooms.

And we should have ordered a dress about 2 months ago. We might take out my wedding dress and see if it would work. It has a lace bodice but is not flashy. My dress is still white because it has been in a box preserved for 24 years.

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Alfred Angelo has a similar one too I saw last night while looking. Those are gorgeous dresses, but I’m so cheap I want to spend $800-1100 for a dress lol. My wedding dress was a $1200 dress (1994 prices) that I got for $325 because the woman who ordered it cancelled her wedding. I’m hoping to find a dress like that but I may not have the time to keep looking.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also I would check if there are any wedding dress consignment shops in your area, they usually have some unworn samples at good prices

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trying to figure out size is another issue. She gained freshmen 20 but this semester has a class on the 5th floor in the one building on campus that has NO elevator!! :razz:

I’m thinking she is street size 14/16 so might need 18/20 for dress— I have a great seamstress so it’s better to buy big and get altered.

And she’ll be one to get nervous and drop 2 sizes right before

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also I would check if there are any wedding dress consignment shops in your area, they usually have some unworn samples at good prices

This is why we might drive to @Starfacet’s area because she is in a good area and knows where all the places are.

New Orleans has a once a year deb consignment dress swap in November, but if I don’t have a dress by November, I’ll be sweating it!!!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is why we might drive to @Starfacet’s area because she is in a good area and knows where all the places are.

New Orleans has a once a year deb consignment dress swap in November, but if I don’t have a dress by November, I’ll be sweating it!!!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a word of caution : silk stark whuie dresses will still have a discernably different white than synthetic fibre white dresses...

I like marisabridals.com.
Great quality and cut , many options with clean lines. Another search term for preloved.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sent you a pretty one at David's Bridal that comes in white.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DD and I talked about flying to NYC and going to Klienfeldt’s (cause Randy is from Baton Rouge and would know all about this) but I think to get an appiontment, 2k is the least amount. Seems I read that.

We will also have to troll around New Orleans, but I’m still limping and walking like a pirate and am
In pain.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and yes, I have been warned that If you get a cheap dress, it will look like crap under the spotlights, so I have been told to spend at least 800 and get a good quality dress.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and yes, I have been warned that If you get a cheap dress, it will look like crap under the spotlights, so I have been told to spend at least 800 and get a good quality dress.
yeah, but a sample 2 k dress or even better (like you happened to find) unworn preloved 2 k dress looks even better and will be cheaper... I'm sure once you know her sizes for different brands are have determined a style that's flattering on her (on appt at a bridal shoo should be enough you should find sth online fairly easily

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I just texted her and told her she has to get a tape measure today and do her measurements so we can get serious about this.

I have to get my day started and go to physical therapy. Thank you everyone for the help!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results