shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I the only person who is afraid to enter a high-end boutique store?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like Harry Winston, Cartier, Van Cleef & Arpels. Is Tiff & Co. consider high end? :confused:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why?

DK :confused:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know what you mean!

Sad that we live in a world often judged by our appearances.

DK :roll2:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A good salesperson knows that, often, those with the most money look like they have the least!

I never go into 'high end' shops, though - if I can't afford to buy, I don't want to waste anyone's time :| (And even when I can, low self-confidence is the issue!)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Time for a story.
My Dad in his grotty weekend overalls stopped in at a Hi Fi shop to check out getting new $$$$$ Hi Fi components. Top level HI Fi equipment is his passion.
He went straight over to the “fancy room” where a store clerk suggested (rather rudely) that these would be outside his price range and to go to the “Budget section” where the new trainee would assist.
So Dad gets given the new 16 year old trainee and looks over the base level equipment and asks “do you guys get a sales bonus or anything if a customer orders”.
“ We sure do, and I’m rather hoping you will be my first sale”
Dad returns to the Fancy section section beckoning the young guy to follow.
$20,000 of an order later the young trainee guy is beaming from ear to ear.
So don’t judge a guy by his overalls or his Shorts, t shirt and slides :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure you are not the only person @Dancing Fire but I wish you (and others) did not feel that way.

I love entering high end boutique stores. I enjoy seeing specific pieces. And trying them on. :kiss2:

life-is-short-take-the-trip-buy-the-shoes-eat-22903210.png

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I Brit, I don’t like to waste people’s time, so I wouldn’t go in to a high end jewellery shop if I wasn’t thinking of buying. I think sales people in the US are more willing to spend time with a browser on the off chance they might buy, and if they don’t, it’s relieved the boredom of a slow day.

I went with future DIL to the jewellery shop where her engagement ring came from, she wanted to look at wedding bands (they haven’t even set the date yet!) but the sales person was more than happy to bring out all kinds of bands for her to try on. She asked me if I’d like my rings cleaned, and asked me about Bella, and commented how beautiful she is.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

You kind'a beat them at their own game...

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
My stepfather owned his own CPA firm, and he always told me to never judge people's wealth by how they dressed. He said that often "new" money dressed the way they thought a "rich" person should dress. Fancier cars, conspicuous consumption. But "old" money didn't seem to care what others thought. He learned that just because someone is dressed in jeans/tshirt, you in no way could just their net worth. He did say that this applied more to men than women.

If you walk into a store with the intent to buy, and they judge you or give you poor service due to how you are dressed, I would think that would make you question giving that company your money. Personally, if someone is going to treat me like I can't afford something that I could, and intended to buy, I would walk right out and not want to give them my money.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't go in those stores because I'd want the same thing at a reasonable price.:lol-2: I would go in anywhere that had estate jewelry though, that is the exception. People would ignore me, oh well.:P2

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
VCA has always been kind regardless how I am dressed. Similar treatment in their stores across different countries (I never pass up a VCA boutique on holidays). Same with Cartier, excellent service. Tiff&Co's engagement ring salespersons was were only enthusiastic when I was ring shopping with my DH (many years ago), never when I went to try rings on myself. HW's doors are locked and their security guards never seem to want to open them for you.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
T&Co doesn't feel that high end to me though they do make the entrances look bank-vault imposing in some stores. I do feel self-conscious going in a high end store to browse, especially if I'm ignored or over-attended to.

A couple of weird stories:

Wandering around an Hermes store in London, passing by a teenage/college age girl in hijab/abaya with two older relatives in similar dress. I assume one was her mom b/c I overheard her trying to talk her into buying her the XXL hermes scarf (>1k) to use as a swim coverup and the sales guy trying to help her make her case as to how it would not be too risque :lol:

Killing time at an airport T&Co, there was a big ol' super obvious thumbprint on the center stone of the Soleste on display which I pointed out to the salespeople whose reaction was something like a mix of embarrassment/surprise/appreciation :roll2:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never been there cuz I've no money to go there in the first place. :lol:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will go into them no worries and have been ignored and helped. As PP’s have said about personal appearances, and comes to my mind, you can’t judge a book by it’s cover. :cool2:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I confuse people because I wear a lot of bling but also look younger than I am. And while I wear a lot of diamonds, my styling is very goth/punk which isn’t typically associated with high end stores. So if I go anywhere with my parents or a guy, then all good. If I’m there alone it’s a mixed reaction.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I generally only go in these stores when I'm seriously considering buying something. I dress very casually, but I'm quite neat and clean and someone always comes over to assist me. I'd love to go prowl in VCA again but im afraid I'd buy another Alhambra necklace. Then I'd need the matching earrings....and the bracelet. I dont mind going in Hermes because I never see anything I want to buy there. I could win the lottery and I'd still never pay $20,000 for a freaking purse!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I would never go in there because I'm way too cheap to spend my money on "high end" name brands, just for the sake of owning them. I tend to be very cheap for clothing. I have been known to be wearing a $4 outfit from the Goodwill with my nicest jewelry on, in fact it is a regular occurrence. (One of my renters was shocked to see the Goodwill bag in my car when I was collecting rent, lol) I just can't bring myself to pay lots if money for something that I'll probably spill red wine on, or at least will wear out over time. I feel the same way about vehicles. I drive a 10 year old car that can seat all 7 of us that I paid cash for. My kids would absolutely love for me to trade it in, but it does the job and I just think of how many gemstones I still want when I contemplate spending the money on a new one.:lol:

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
The only snobby high-end store I’ve been to lately was Alexander’s Patisserie. This sales lady asked if I wanted a “ki-yo-to” (Kyoto) cold brew coffee. :roll2: At least say it correctly.

Other places were friendly and helpful. As long as you act like you belong there, they usually help out.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have a problem going in... I too am usually wearing jeans and a tshirt, but I usually have at least an eternity band and my engagement ring (or an alternate) on. I've never had problems with service in high-end jewelry stores, and I always ask to try on anything I like. It's fun!

I have had far more problems with service in independent jewelry stores than in high-end ones. Those are the places who either ignore me or make snide comments about my jewelry or ask me to come back with my husband. Good way to lose a sale. :roll:

I have the most problems with service in clothing stores, especially midrange ones. I guess places like H&M and Zara also have shitty service, but I expect that from them so I'm not surprised.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did have a car dealer tell me once " maybe you'll come back when you won the lottery"..i was too young and stupid and polite to tell him while i had the $ for the car and he just made sure I'd never buy one from him... what a jerk

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is nothing to be afraid of.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure you are not the only person @Dancing Fire but I wish you (and others) did not feel that way.

I love entering high end boutique stores. I enjoy seeing specific pieces. And trying them on. :kiss2:

life-is-short-take-the-trip-buy-the-shoes-eat-22903210.png

And wear ALL YOUR JEWELLERY ALL THE TIME (and maybe all t once.)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VCA has always been kind regardless how I am dressed. Similar treatment in their stores across different countries (I never pass up a VCA boutique on holidays). Same with Cartier, excellent service. Tiff&Co's engagement ring salespersons was were only enthusiastic when I was ring shopping with my DH (many years ago), never when I went to try rings on myself. HW's doors are locked and their security guards never seem to want to open them for you.

Interesting. I have had the opposite reactions visiting VCA. In Vegas and BH. Maybe that is why I don't own any.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LAJennifer and I rolled into a Tiffany's in sweats looking like our bad ass 28 year old selves (for reals, we look stupid young). We got such ridiculously fab service that THIS is the only Tiffany's associate I call, even though I dont live anywhere near that store.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, I have been to NYC once a few years ago, and that was my first experience in a Cartier and the flagship Tiffany. (We have a Tiffany here and I only go in when I am interested in something specific.) Then I went to Vegas for PS GTGs 3 times and that was the first time I had been in VCA and other high end stores. I have also been to them in Houston. I will admit that it's a little intimdating. Most of what is in VCA, I could never buy. But I am a big fan of some of their more accessible lines, and I will always go in VCA when I travel to a city that has one. I think it was easiest going in high end stores with friends who have 4+ ct diamonds. We get excellent service always, in that case! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results