shape
carat
color
clarity

Alteration Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been wondering about this for a while, since I don''t actually sew at all myself. When a seamstress makes alterations to a dress, how do they avoid changing the pattern to embroidery? The dress I''m thinking of is this one below...If I were to order a 6, which would fit my waist but the top would need to be take in, how do they do that without ruining the embroidery pattern?

casa3.jpg

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Sweetpea, I can''t sew either. Basically, I can sew on buttons, but hems are out of my league. So, I definitely sympathize. I just wanted to let you know that that dress is BEAUIFUL.

I''m curious to see what answers you get to your question...it''s a good one!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 11:33:50 AM
Author: aprilcait
Sweetpea, I can''t sew either. Basically, I can sew on buttons, but hems are out of my league. So, I definitely sympathize. I just wanted to let you know that that dress is BEAUIFUL.

I''m curious to see what answers you get to your question...it''s a good one!
Oh yeah, that brings up anohter question...so the dress has similar embroidery on the train...so if they have to take out length, how do they do it without taking some of the embroidery off the train?

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
like this:

casaback.jpg

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
This dress is so beautiful! I asked this question myself while I was trying dresses on. She seemed unfazed (sp?) by the question at all and simply said "oh, they can either hem from the bottom and then replace the embellishments or lift the dress up at the waist so as not to have to re-bead anything". This re-beading process freaks me out because I''m wondering how they could possibly get it to be the same as before but I guess they do this all the time.

You could search on this or other wedding forums to see who else had/has this particular dress and then see what they say about alterations........because I see what you''re saying in that both the hem line and the entire waist from front to back has (gorgeous) embroidery to deal with!

Again, simply devine gown :) Good luck and let us know what you find out!!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, what's hard is that my measurements are 32 - 27 -36 at 5'7", so to accomodate the 27 waist I need a size 6, but I usually wear a 4 and will need it taken in in the bust. I do plan on wearing those silicon cutlet things, or at least having one or TWO padded cups sewn into the dress (the girl at another salon said that she had one girl have 2 padded cups sewn into a dress so she wouldnt have to wear a padded bra), but if I got this dress, I wouldnt want the back or sides ruined from alterations.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I was just thinking that if they are able to alter it, that it may cost alot, no?

Have you considered a dress that has a corseted back? 90% of Maggie Sottero gowns have this. I''ve also seen Mori Lee gowns with this feature, too. It would eliminate the alterations issue up top for sure.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Argh, ate my response...

Casablanca will make the dress to your specific measurements for an extra fee, maybe I should do that since I'm so narrow up top? Would I then have my measurements taken with a padded top???
31.gif

Does anyone have experience with this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results