shape
carat
color
clarity

Allergy to gold

AnnaLiza

Rough_Rock
Hi there,
I am experiencing discolouration on my finger when I am wearing gold rings, I thought it is because the ring is too tight on my finger. Last day, I read an article about it http://www.pheradiamonds.com/gold-jewelry-discolouring-finger/, it says that the discoloration can occur due to an allergic reaction. I doubt whether I am having an allergy to gold. How could I confirm it? What can I do as a preventive measure? Is it something serious to be concerned?

Dakota

Rough_Rock
Can you confirm an allergy like this with your doctor? If so and it is determined that it isn't an allergy, then it's probably just a chemical reaction like the article states. Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I have a nickel allergy and get huge hives / a big nasty rash if it contacts my skin. I don't wear silver often because I turn it black in a matter of days (and stain my skin). I'm not allergic to silver though, I just tarnish it and that tarnish stains me. Low carat gold can do they same skin staining over a much longer period if it has silver, brass or copper as part of the alloy. Platinum doesn't tarnish on me nor does 22ct gold. It's not the actual gold I think you'll find, but the other alloy metals. You'll know if you're allergic to a metal, the itchy rash is awful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results