shape
carat
color
clarity

Allergy to 14k gold - does that include white/rose?

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
Not sure where I should post this question and it may be a ridiculously obvious answer for some of you but here goes -

I’m allergic to gold. The higher the carat, the faster I have a reaction. This allergy came on as I got older - I could wear gold as a teenager, but around age 26 or so I started to get hives, beginning with earrings, then on my neck. The doctor told me it would eventually affect the less delicate/thin skin on my fingers and wrists. Sure enough, that happened.

Anyhoo, my uncle gifted me my aunt's tennis bracelet when she passed away and, while I love the sentimentality of it, it’s breaking me out. So I’ve been looking at other bracelets to switch in memory of her but everyday simply elegant platinum bracelets are both hard to find and expensive.

For those of you who are chemists, would white or rose gold affect me to same as yellow gold? I’ve even reacted to an 850 platinum ring so I’m pretty sensitive. Sterling and 900 and above platinum are fine.

Just to add a visual, here’s my wrist this morning where you can see my skin reacting to the bracelet - you can see a few red marks. It gets worse because I scratch like a 5yo and create scabs. Right now (probably because the wrist is the least sensitive of where I wear jewelry) I can wear the bracelet for a few days before I start to itch so I fight through it (because BLING, y’all) but I’d like an alternative.

Thanks for sludging through this long post. 98086F17-7C3E-4405-8B3B-A9DD2E4E8A70.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the best option is to just buy platinum bracelets with a good return policy. You can wear it for a while to see if it gives you a reaction. You’re so sensitive that I would be afraid to do anything custom even at 900 or above in platinum.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both white gold and rose gold start with yellow gold as base, then nickel/other is added for white gold, and copper/other is added for rose gold. So a gold allergy often means no gold is safe to wear, particularly for you where it seems even/especially high-karat gold causes a reaction.

Perhaps have one of your favorite pieces dipped in silver (i.e., silver plated)? If that works, then you could have other pieces silver-plated too. Just stay on top of how your skin feels and have pieces re-dipped as soon as you think you feel a first prickle.

Silver is much more affordable than platinum; and if 850 platinum affects you now, it may be just a matter of time before higher platinum causes a reaction...

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm wondering if rhodium plating the yellow gold to look like white gold would prevent the reaction

I have a different reaction to yellow gold (turns my finger black sometimes) that never happens with my rhodium plated white gold rings

Yes, you would probably eventually have to have the piece replated, but other than the change in color, it would keep the piece as it was when your aunt wore it

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It isn’t the nickel - that’s so common, everyone thinks that’s what the allergy is. But it is truly the gold. Nickel is actually fine. I am WEIRD.

It isn't weird but it's unexpected. Are you certain it is to gold? For example, some nickel is plated and you may not react. Have you been tested by an allergist? Skin testing is a bit like phrenology but some good info can come of it. Have you challenged with 24K gold?

I have a new-ish nickel allergy. Two family members developed new metal allergies about three weeks after COVID and both within the past year -- one to gold alloy (presumably the nickel) and one to platinum, of all things. So I have looked into this a bit. Autoimmune phenomena increase with COVID -- it nonspecifically revs the immune system.

Since you are looking for a solution, I think you could better define the problem. If it really is gold, then just go with platinum. Easy. Silver, I've read, is the least allergenic but I find that a little hard to believe based on its reactivity (tarnishing, etc.)

I am still trying to tease out my kid's reaction to platinum since that is so rare and nickel allergy affects a big fraction of the population. The ring in question -- which he has worn all day, every day for 5+ years -- was custom made at a super-reputable shop by a 'smith with about 40 years of experience. I wonder if the alloy was nickel-contaminated somehow. The ring always had a very leaden, gunmetal-gray look that I loved, in contrast to my whiter-looking platinum ring. He has re-challenged with his ring a half-dozen times and gets a big DTH-type reaction on the finger that takes weeks to heal -- just like a nickel allergy. I "lent" him another platinum ring and he has worn that for two months with no issues (and I really want my ring back =)2). So it may not be platinum.

As an aside, unplated nickel-free white gold is gorgeous. Palladium white gold is my new favorite metal.

chere

Shiny_Rock
I’m really sorry for your loss. I can relate to all of this. I inherited a WG anniversary band and it set off my nickel allergy. I was sad I couldn’t wear it. Sometimes holding it would trigger a reaction. It took me a very long time to decide what to do. I recently had the stones reset into platinum huggies so I can enjoy wearing them as earrings.

I can’t bring myself wear anything that’s plated if I know I’m allergic to the base metal. The plating eventually wears off and triggers a reaction. It could be a day or few weeks for the rash to calm down and I can’t wear jewelry until it passes. It’s not worth it.

I would stick to silver or platinum.

I found a 2ctw lab diamond sterling silver tennis bracelet from Jewlr. The stones are small but they’re really nice; bright and sparkly. The basket is on the round side and the stones are spaced out. I returned it and when with a different basket style.

https://www.jewlr.com/products/JWLB...grown-diamond-tennis-bracelet-2-ct-tw-?sku=SS

WF, Blue Nile, James Allen and Costco have mined stones in platinum. Please share if you come across other places.

As an aside, unplated nickel-free white gold is gorgeous. Palladium white gold is my new favorite metal.

I agree!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I googled this when I saw your post @lovetodream. Apparently it’s very rare, but some people can have reactions even to 24K gold. Since you say your reactions occur faster, the higher the gold karat, then maybe you are one of the rare folks with a true gold sensitivity.
As a jewellery lover, I feel sorry for you in your predicament. It sounds like you may have to stick with silver and platinum, as you surmised.
Maybe get a gold jewellery piece silver plated and see how that works? Some antique jewels have silver over gold, so it’s not unheard of.
Good luck! I hope you can find a way to wear what you enjoy.

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
Both white gold and rose gold start with yellow gold as base, then nickel/other is added for white gold, and copper/other is added for rose gold. So a gold allergy often means no gold is safe to wear, particularly for you where it seems even/especially high-karat gold causes a reaction.

Perhaps have one of your favorite pieces dipped in silver (i.e., silver plated)? If that works, then you could have other pieces silver-plated too. Just stay on top of how your skin feels and have pieces re-dipped as soon as you think you feel a first prickle.

Silver is much more affordable than platinum; and if 850 platinum affects you now, it may be just a matter of time before higher platinum causes a reaction...

Thanks for the explanation and advice, @marymm - that's what I really didn't know about rose/white gold.

I had a jeweler once tell me that 850 platinum could have some gold in it and that may have been the reason for my body's response.

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
It isn't weird but it's unexpected. Are you certain it is to gold? For example, some nickel is plated and you may not react. Have you been tested by an allergist? Skin testing is a bit like phrenology but some good info can come of it. Have you challenged with 24K gold?

I have a new-ish nickel allergy. Two family members developed new metal allergies about three weeks after COVID and both within the past year -- one to gold alloy (presumably the nickel) and one to platinum, of all things. So I have looked into this a bit. Autoimmune phenomena increase with COVID -- it nonspecifically revs the immune system.

Since you are looking for a solution, I think you could better define the problem. If it really is gold, then just go with platinum. Easy. Silver, I've read, is the least allergenic but I find that a little hard to believe based on its reactivity (tarnishing, etc.)

I am still trying to tease out my kid's reaction to platinum since that is so rare and nickel allergy affects a big fraction of the population. The ring in question -- which he has worn all day, every day for 5+ years -- was custom made at a super-reputable shop by a 'smith with about 40 years of experience. I wonder if the alloy was nickel-contaminated somehow. The ring always had a very leaden, gunmetal-gray look that I loved, in contrast to my whiter-looking platinum ring. He has re-challenged with his ring a half-dozen times and gets a big DTH-type reaction on the finger that takes weeks to heal -- just like a nickel allergy. I "lent" him another platinum ring and he has worn that for two months with no issues (and I really want my ring back =)2). So it may not be platinum.

I haven't been to an allergist about it but it was really through my own self-discovery. After starting to get dermatitis after wearing 14k, I tried on a 24k necklace in a store. That 5-minute wear caused a breakout - within 10 minutes I was itching like crazy. Like @chere said, it made me so miserable, I am scared to try anything on my neck or ears - it's just not worth it. This was 20+ years ago - way before COVID - but that's interesting and not super surprising, considering the other autoimmune issues COVID has caused people.

The best thing about being allergic is that it does cut down on impulse purchases because there are much fewer pre-loved (my favorite) options of necklaces and bracelets in platinum. I'll be on the look-out for unplated nickel-free white gold and maybe try one with a return policy. Thanks!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tried on a 24k necklace in a store. That 5-minute wear caused a breakout - within 10 minutes I was itching like crazy

That seems too fast to me. Most (? all) metal allergies are delayed-type hypersensitivity. Metal atoms are too small to bind antibodies -- and antibodies are the basis for immediate allergic reactions like the ones that cause anaphylaxis (famous in peanut allergies, etc.). In contrast, metal salts take some time to develop and then the salts must modify some other thing (I suspect) to trigger the immune reaction. Five minutes is too fast, imo. One to two days would be more like it. Or maybe one day on repeated re-challenge. Not an allergist or immunologist..

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
That seems too fast to me. Most (? all) metal allergies are delayed-type hypersensitivity. Metal atoms are too small to bind antibodies -- and antibodies are the basis for immediate allergic reactions like the ones that cause anaphylaxis (famous in peanut allergies, etc.). In contrast, metal salts take some time to develop and then the salts must modify some other thing (I suspect) to trigger the immune reaction. Five minutes is too fast, imo. One to two days would be more like it. Or maybe one day on repeated re-challenge. Not an allergist or immunologist..

Partly true, yes, metal molecules are too small to elicit an antibody response. However, most jewellery reactions are contact dermatitis, not delayed hypersensitivity, which has a different mechanism of action. Once one is sensitized, contact dermatitis can indeed occur very quickly.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
when i was a kid
before i knew anyone alergic to peanuts
when apart from hayfevor no one seemed to be alergic to much at all my mum's best friend was alergic to gold
she couldnt wear her wedding ring which would have been 18k
good luck @lovetodream
keep us posted

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
most jewellery reactions are contact dermatitis, not delayed hypersensitivity

A quick search seems to confirm that contact dermatitis is a DTH and most are not fast. Rarely it can be minutes but think: poison ivy. It can take days to show up.

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
I obviously can’t speak to others’ experiences or the wisdom of the internet, but my reaction does not take days. When the allergy initially came on in my 20s it started with slight irritation, so I just started wearing gold less and less, or for short periods of time (like a night out) and put up with the red bumps for a few days. Then one day, my buttons were gold so I wore gold earrings to work. I was traveling to a meeting that day and by the time I was driving back from it around 2:00, my neck up closer to my ears was so swollen and red and I itched so much I drove directly to urgent care for relief. When I got home I moved all of my gold out of my jewelry case and gave them to my mom. Sometimes I consider experimenting again but the memory of how miserable that drive back was is still with me.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
A quick search seems to confirm that contact dermatitis is a DTH and most are not fast. Rarely it can be minutes but think: poison ivy. It can take days to show up.
Yes, you are correct. It’s a delayed immune response. But the nature of immune responses in general is that once one is sensitized to the offending substance, subsequent reactions can occur more quickly.

This seems to align with @lovetodream ‘s unfortunate experiences.

From the Mayo Clinic:
Contact dermatitis shows up on skin that has been directly exposed to the substance causing the reaction. For example, the rash may show up along a leg that brushed against poison ivy. The rash can develop within minutes to hours of exposure, and it can last 2 to 4 weeks.

Last edited:

chere

Shiny_Rock
You know your body best. Follow your instinct. FWIW, I sometimes feel my nickel allergy reaction after few minutes or it can take hours. The severity of the reaction varies. It could be mild or really bad and painful.

Look into the Sterling Silver Lab tennis bracelet from Jewlr. It was the only one I could find that wasn't CZs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results