shape
carat
color
clarity

With college tuitions on the rise every year...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
is there a point when it isn't worth going? Nowadays, even 4 yrs of basic college can easily add up to more than $120K with room and board.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would be very disappointed if my children didn’t attend college. But I also would not encourage them to choose one of the more expensive, out of state options without aid. Just because some people spend $120k, doesn’t make college in general not worthwhile...

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
first @redwood66 I gotta say I love you girl.. xo

Would I be upset if one of my kids hadn't wanted to go to college? Yes I would have been IF I thought that was their destiny, if I thought one of my son's had more talent in solving mechanical problems with his hands I would have recommended he go to a CC with HVAC.. one of my brothers was a metalworker (union) and the other was in the navy. One went one didn't. I went. But it's the destiny of the child and their desire. If my son wanted a career in the armed services I might have pushed a bit so he could have been an officer but not a lot. They are our 'children' but only they can fufill their lives not us.

joelly

Ideal_Rock

Would I be upset if one of my kids hadn't wanted to go to college? Yes I would have been IF I thought that was their destiny, if I thought one of my son's had more talent in solving mechanical problems with his hands I would have recommended he go to a CC with HVAC.. one of my brothers was a metalworker (union) and the other was in the navy. One went one didn't. I went. But it's the destiny of the child and their desire. If my son wanted a career in the armed services I might have pushed a bit so he could have been an officer but not a lot. They are our 'children' but only they can fufill their lives not us.

This is very well said indeed.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

:kiss2:

He's either bored or there is a thread starting contest that none of the rest of us know about. :mrgreen2:

As to the thread topic, if I thought it was absolutely their destiny to go to college I would not hesitate paying. But as we always told them, we won't pay for a 2-4 year party that results in nothing.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think college is right for everyone and I'm sure some kids are there only because their parents make them go. I agree with what @Tekate said about their destiny. Forcing a kid to go to college could end up just being a waste of money if they really want to be a carpenter. But I also think that parents generally want their kids to go, so recognizing and accepting that it might not be their destiny is difficult for many. And nothing says that someone who doesn't go to college right after high school can't go back later in life and get a degree. Many do that. And are probably better students for going when they are ready.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It can easily cost 240k at some privates and as little as 30k if you attend a public state school and commute; do a junior college and then transfer and you are looking at 15k or so in California. There are options to meet every type of kid. College is an investment and I would never consider it a waste. Networking. Growing as in individual. Exploring new interests. Pursuing a passion. Never a waste.

Last edited:

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I didn’t learn anything that looked like career training in college, so “destiny” doesn’t fit into the equation for me. Career training happens on the job and sometimes in professional schools. I don’t want my kids to go to college to learn to be accountants, I want them to go to learn how to think and read critically, learn formal logic, learn art history, and about formal academic research. It’s foundational, not a path, IMO.

Can people teach themselves all of the above? Meh. Fewer people who think they did.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I think it's often not necessary for a child to leave home in order to attend college. After all, it seems logical that one gets to move away from home after they can afford to pay for it themselves.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe you can get an excellent education at a less expensive school. It's all about what the student puts into their education that determines what they get from their education.

I loved attending the liberal arts college I was lucky enough to attend and live on campus away from home. I received a very well rounded education that helped prepare me for adulthood and life in general. The building blocks for higher education after I graduated from college.

Having said that I don't think college is for everyone. But I say either college or a trade school that will help prepare the individual for their future career and making their way in life. Not everyone has to go to College to be successful but there should be (IMO) some higher education. Whether that be college or trade school or something else.

If the child wants to attend college there are many different colleges to choose from and all at different price points. If there is a desire there is a college that will suit that desire.

Every child is an individual with unique talents, skills and needs. There is no one size fits all.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think you absolutely have to consider income potential (with career goals and the degree you are pursuing) and the amount you need to take out loans for to see if it's "worth it". I spent a decent chunk of change (about 80k after the accrued interest :x2) on undergrad and grad school. The first 7 years were very hard to make the payments (no one helped me) but now my income has finally gone up and my loans are almost paid! For me, it was worth it. Many of my friends weren't so lucky though. I have young brothers who will be college age in a few more years. We are going to be very careful with guiding them so help prevent them being in debt that they can't pay off.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it’s a waste for a LOT of kids and more should take a gap year (or years). But that’s because of their choices, not what college offers.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Depends on the degree and how its done.
There are many degrees where the return makes them impossible for a traditional 4 year college education.
A local homeless help charity is hiring people with a masters degree for 45k a year and has people beating down the doors to get the jobs.
It is awfully hard to pay back the cost of a masters degree at 45k a year.
That said there are a lot of ways to go without spending 120k.
Community college can get you up to 80% of the classes for some 4 year degree for very little money.
Then transfer to a state school for a year to 2 to finish.
Some employers will even pay for the state school full ride including room and board in exchange for 2-5 years working for them after school.

Last edited:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of it truly depends on the child. My eldest daughter (31) is just finishing up a post grad diploma program in a couple of months. She loves school, and she is doing a career change. It was a real struggle to get my younger daughter through a 2 year college program, but she made it. Both have ADHD. I think vocational schools (trades), are just as valuable. A lot of jobs here require the university degree plus a few years in college. Crazy, but it's a lot less expensive here. Like $12K a year not including rent. Every kind of education is important IMO.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s nowhere near as expensive in the UK to go to university. When our son went, the fees were less than his private school tuition. I think when he did his Masters degree after his Bachelors, it was £5000 for the year.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess it depends on the teenager but honestly what I find most amazing is that it seems normal in the USA that parents are expected to PAY for their kids college!?! :shock: You are all nicer than I would be... :snooty:

We are very fortunately to have HECS https://www.studyassist.gov.au/help-loans/hecs-help which is basically a government-based interest free loan that pays for fees, then when you earn over a certain threshold you have it pay it back (gets deducted automatically so you cannot avoid it). Without it I'm pretty sure many many people would not go to university, although perhaps most Aussie degrees are cheaper than in the US?

Of course I waitressed throughout uni to pay for my living expenses too as HECS only contributes to unit fees, nothing else. We're all still hoping to be as cool as Scandinavia where university is freeeeeee.... :kiss2:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s nowhere near as expensive in the UK to go to university. When our son went, the fees were less than his private school tuition. I think when he did his Masters degree after his Bachelors, it was £5000 for the year.

I like how the students here in the UK can get student loans but don’t have to repay them till they are earning above a certain amount. And even then the repayments don’t take too much money from their pay. Definitely an affordable way to get a higher education.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course I waitressed throughout uni to pay for my living expenses too as HECS only contributes to unit fees, nothing else. We're all still hoping to be as cool as Scandinavia where university is freeeeeee.... :kiss2:

It’s only ‘free’ because their income is huge!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
University is FREE in Germany and France as well. You can have 0% loans for living expenses if your parents cannot support you...

I do share this belief that a well educated population is a greater good for humankind.
Not only engineers, but also philosophers and artists of any kind and a broad horizon of a solid general education.

But, again, my tagline for these threads: fewer huge diamonds to be seen here! Smaller houses and cars. Mandatory health, unemployment insurance, maternity leave, social protection, retirement etc etc etc and free education make for a lower disposable income even in the highest income bracket. Question of preference.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
University is FREE in Germany and France as well. You can have 0% loans for living expenses if your parents cannot support you...

I do share this belief that a well educated population is a greater good for humankind.
Not only engineers, but also philosophers and artists of any kind and a broad horizon of a solid general education.

But, again, my tagline for these threads: fewer huge diamonds to be seen here! Smaller houses and cars. Mandatory health, unemployment insurance, maternity leave, social protection, retirement etc etc etc and free education make for a lower disposable income even in the highest income bracket. Question of preference.

We also have a huge population here. It isn't possible to offer free college to everyone. But I agree we should have affordable college affordable higher education for everyone. As I feel we need universal health care for EVERYONE. That is not optional but should be mandatory and health care is not a privilege but a right. IMO. And everyone should have access to healthcare independent of income level. Period.

I don't see how higher education can be made completely free in the USA. I wish it could be and would love it if this were possible. But what is possible (IMO) is to implement affordable education for everyone. Community college for 2 years and then finish your degree at a 4 year college. State schools. Etc. There are affordable ways to make higher education happen.

We are only as good as our weakest links and we need to raise strong smart independent children who can make the world a better place. Right now I feel like the USA is failing the children in so many ways. I have no answers but we need to elect officials who actually care about and will work for the people and not just for the richest people. We need politicians who have the best interest at heart for all of the people.

I so agree with you @kipari...A well educated population is necessary for a bright healthy future. Not just for the USA but for the world. We are all connected and we are all sharing in the human experience.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are only as good as our weakest links and we need to raise strong smart independent children who can make the world a better place

You said it so well, @missy! This 1000 x

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So I didn't go to college/University here in Australia, a few reasons as to why but the advantage of that is I am not burdened with a giant student loan. I make as much, if not more money than the guys I went to school with who did go to college but I work 2 jobs so IMHO there is life without college. You just have to be careful about what you choose.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I meant it’s only free because their income tax is huge!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Around here, the question is whether this is worth having for free; I hear that the pervasive answer is changing if almost too slowly to matter for anyone alive - the rate of change of customs...

I call it coincidene that much of what I want in life used to be found 'on campus' - this has no longer been the case for twenty years give or take & this is common knowledge as expected; no one alive knows what else can there be & this is right methinks.

tuppence

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I guess it depends on the teenager but honestly what I find most amazing is that it seems normal in the USA that parents are expected to PAY for their kids college!?! :shock: You are all nicer than I would be... :snooty:

We are very fortunately to have HECS https://www.studyassist.gov.au/help-loans/hecs-help which is basically a government-based interest free loan that pays for fees, then when you earn over a certain threshold you have it pay it back (gets deducted automatically so you cannot avoid it). Without it I'm pretty sure many many people would not go to university, although perhaps most Aussie degrees are cheaper than in the US?

It may be free, but most do not attend university.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, free of charge is one thing: obviously you need to pass the tests to get in. One needs to be academically excellent, of course...

Looking into the tax systems, I can speak only for Germany, France and England, but dh didn't pay less when he was working in England compared to Germany and definitely WAY more than in France (France has HUGE deductions for families, which does benefit us)

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@kipari Admission is also under fire.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results