shape
carat
color
clarity

They Spoke Spanish In A Montana Store

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two American citizens were forced to identify themselves because they were caught speaking Spanish in a store in Montana. Where is the First Amendment?

I taught citizenship. The test to become a US citizen is currently extremely hard to pass. If these women were not born in the United States, they had to have learned English perfectly and also mastered American history and citizenship (something that our illustrious president definitely has not).

I can understand the stance people have of "this is America and people who live here should learn English". These women, however, clearly had learned English and far more.

They were discriminated against because, although they spoke fluent English, they dared to speak Spanish in public. Picking on them for that is unconstitutional.

"In the small town of Havre, Mont., the Town Pump Convenience Store is about the only shop open after midnight. It was about that time last Wednesday when two friends, Ana Suda, who was out of eggs, and Mimi Hernandez, whose daughter needed milk, walked into the store.

Ms. Suda does not recall what they discussed while they browsed the store, but she knows they conversed in Spanish. That was all it took for a Border Patrol agent also in the store to interject.

'He looked at us and said, "Where are you guys born?" ' Ms. Suda, 37, recalled in an interview on Monday.

Both friends are Mexican-Americans and United States citizens, which they explained to the agent, adding that Ms. Suda was born in El Paso and Ms. Hernandez in Central California. The agent then asked for their identifications.

Shocked by the encounter, Ms. Suda retrieved her cellphone from her car, hit record and confronted the agent as he was relaying their information over a radio inside his sport utility vehicle. They had been racially profiled, Ms. Suda told the agent.

'It had nothing to do with that,' the officer, who identified himself as Agent O’Neal, responded in the cellphone video. 'It’s the fact that it has to do with you guys speaking Spanish in the store in a state where it’s predominantly English-speaking.'”

Link to article...https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/21/us/montana-border-patrol-agents-spanish-speaking.html

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:angryfire:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't recommend anyone from Montana visit London if that is the general attitude to 'foreigners' - you can walk along the street or sit in a restaurant and hear 10 different languages in the space of 5 minutes!

Perhaps the border patrol officer should actually bother to get off his posterior and learn spanish, so that he can better connect (both literally and metaphorically) with the people he's dealing with on a day-to-day basis...

I only have basic schoolboy French and have forgotten 99.9% of the German that I learnt - it embarrasses me that I can't speak to native people of any given country in their own language, and instead have to rely on being the arrogant British person who relies on the rest of the world to learn his language in order to communicate properly.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that is disgusting.

In NYC (and many many other cities) you hear different languages all of the time and not for one moment does anyone think the person/people speaking different languages might not belong. Crazy. It's a melting pot of different cultures and languages.

But perhaps in Montana the population is so homogenous that one speaking a different language stands out like a sore thumb. But to be forced to prove your identity simply because one is speaking a different language is reprehensible and unconscionable. :angryfire:

They were discriminated against because, although they spoke fluent English, they dared to speak Spanish in public. Picking on them for that is unconstitutional.

Indeed.:cry2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very sad. That shouldn't have happened to them. Those people who reported over something so harmless should get out a bit more! It is common to hear conversations in half a dozen languages through my day here (Seattle area). Many have moved here from other countries or were born to parents who moved here, but we also learn languages and chat to stay in practice. Only someone completely ignorant could think speaking something other than English is worth reporting.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is that what it’s come to? Wow! :angryfire:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wrap my head around a lot of things that happen in the US. This is just outrageous though. :knockout:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not know what it is about the Northwest, but they are at it again! First it happened in Montana, now it happened in Colorado. A woman heard two other women (who had children with them) speaking Spanish in a Colorado grocery store and she started to shout at them to get out of the country. Only this time another English speaking woman intervened on their behalf, and when their assailant would not stop, called the police. The woman who had been screaming at the Spanish speakers claimed she was offended at hearing Spanish spoken and that when people came here they must love America and speak English.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...-not-speaking-english/?utm_term=.557b1752b921

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ridiculous, and so utterly backwards and ignorant. I suspect these assailants are, somewhere deep down, embarrassed that they know only one language. Well, two, if you count hate speech.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Words fail me. Such a disgrace.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well this is the 'great America" that Trump has created Deb. I mean it's not the "United States of Fascist America". God forbid they were two Hindu guys on their way somewhere (cause I guess no different color people live in Havre, MT maybe the inhabitants have not even SEEN a person of color).. the two Hindu guys/andor gals may be mistaken for MUSLIMS!! attacking the little store in Havre.. nothing surprises me in their country, because it's not mine. And if anyone says I don't have to stay, I really do, no modern European countries want elderly American women to move there.. they don't like Americans, I don't want to live in a hot climate because winter/fall is my favorite time and I WAS BORN HERE.. and I welcome all.

Two American citizens were forced to identify themselves because they were caught speaking Spanish in a store in Montana. Where is the First Amendment?

I taught citizenship. The test to become a US citizen is currently extremely hard to pass. If these women were not born in the United States, they had to have learned English perfectly and also mastered American history and citizenship (something that our illustrious president definitely has not).

I can understand the stance people have of "this is America and people who live here should learn English". These women, however, clearly had learned English and far more.

"In the small town of Havre, Mont., the Town Pump Convenience Store is about the only shop open after midnight. It was about that time last Wednesday when two friends, Ana Suda, who was out of eggs, and Mimi Hernandez, whose daughter needed milk, walked into the store.

Ms. Suda does not recall what they discussed while they browsed the store, but she knows they conversed in Spanish. That was all it took for a Border Patrol agent also in the store to interject.

'He looked at us and said, "Where are you guys born?" ' Ms. Suda, 37, recalled in an interview on Monday.

Both friends are Mexican-Americans and United States citizens, which they explained to the agent, adding that Ms. Suda was born in El Paso and Ms. Hernandez in Central California. The agent then asked for their identifications.

Shocked by the encounter, Ms. Suda retrieved her cellphone from her car, hit record and confronted the agent as he was relaying their information over a radio inside his sport utility vehicle. They had been racially profiled, Ms. Suda told the agent.

'It had nothing to do with that,' the officer, who identified himself as Agent O’Neal, responded in the cellphone video. 'It’s the fact that it has to do with you guys speaking Spanish in the store in a state where it’s predominantly English-speaking.'”

Link to article...https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/21/us/montana-border-patrol-agents-spanish-speaking.html

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was truly horrible. Welcome to the new America. Another cop who doesn't know the law.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/drive/culture/article-do-i-need-a-passport-while-driving-in-the-us/

I have never been asked to show my passport by any cop in Europe or Canada EXCEPT when entering the country which includes Canada. It's hard to drive in Europe so we don't do it :)

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's terrible. The law of the land is that you can speak any language you damn well please. :angryfire:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not know what it is about the Northwest, but they are at it again! First it happened in Montana, now it happened in Colorado. A woman heard two other women (who had children with them) speaking Spanish in a Colorado grocery store and she started to shout at them to get out of the country. Only this time another English speaking woman intervened on their behalf, and when their assailant would not stop, called the police. The woman who had been screaming at the Spanish speakers claimed she was offended at hearing Spanish spoken and that when people came here they must love America and speak English.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...-not-speaking-english/?utm_term=.557b1752b921

:errrr:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's terrible. The law of the land is that you can speak any language you damn well please. :angryfire:

Actually, I do not believe that the language one speaks is addressed in any of the founding documents. At least when I taught citizenship nothing about language was required matter for memorization. Only religion was specifically addressed. Speech was addressed by The First Amendment in The Bill of Rights. In that sense you are correct about people being free to speak languages other than English. :))

Deb :wavey:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I meant that there's no law against speaking whatever language you please.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps someone should point out to these people that only 7% (IIRC) of communication is verbal, so language is really a minor aspect!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
February 15, 2019

Here is an update from Newser:

"Two native-born US women were detained by a Border Patrol agent last May at a convenience store in Havre, Montana. Now those women are suing US Customs and Border Protection, noting in their complaint that the CPB agent 'singled out, detained, and interrogated' Ana Suda and Martha 'Mimi' Hernandez 'because he heard them speaking Spanish,' NBC News reports. The ACLU suit says agent Paul O'Neal focused on the moms 'based on race, relying on their use of Spanish as a justification and proxy for race.' In a video of the incident Suda recorded on her phone, O'Neal is heard saying, 'The reason I asked you for your ID is because I came in here, and I saw that you guys are speaking Spanish, which is very unheard of up here.' The suit claims O'Neal violated the women's Fourth Amendment rights, as well as their rights to equal protection.

The complaint also notes 'America is a multi-lingual, multi-racial, and multi-ethnic country' with 'no official language,' and that 'Spanish is far and away the most common language in the [US] after English.' Suda says her young daughter is now afraid to speak Spanish, adding, 'This changed our lives ... forever,' per NBC. Still, per the Washington Post, when a friend told Hernandez the agent had targeted the wrong person, Hernandez said, 'No, they picked the right person—the person who is going to stand up for the next one.' The complaint seeks compensatory damages for the 'humiliating and discriminatory treatment' and wants CPB to cease and desist from stopping people speaking Spanish or with an accent, as well as 'on the basis of race,' unless there's a more detailed suspect description available. Vox gets deeper into the legalities of such a CBP detention. (Read more lawsuit stories.)"

http://www.newser.com/story/271363/they-were-stopped-for-speaking-spanish-now-theyre-suing.html

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to Trumpland.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s the new thing. Border patrol has been stopping greyhound buses in the south west and boarding and asking for ID. Obviously this is illegal. I want to say it was ruled that since Greyhound is a private company, they can’t stop the buses any more.

Google it. Border Patrol is a fascist group now.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s the new thing. Border patrol has been stopping greyhound buses in the south west and boarding and asking for ID. Obviously this is illegal. I want to say it was ruled that since Greyhound is a private company, they can’t stop the buses any more.

Google it. Border Patrol is a fascist group now.

This really amazes me. When I was young and found out that other countries had national identity cards, I was so glad-and proud-that the United States had refused to allow them. I have disliked the move to require so much identification for so many things we do nowadays, thus necessitating ID cards for people who do not have drivers' licenses. I feel that the old United States let people be. Now the United States is becoming more like Europe (with the Patriot Act and the post-9/11 baloney) and just hounding people to death. I don't believe for an instant that it is necessary.

I never had any libertarian tendencies before, but the way things are going I want to go off the grid. It feels like the only way to get back to being American the way I used to be able to be American: free. (And. no, I don't own guns.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results