shape
carat
color
clarity

Re: New puppy with special needs

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're bringing a new puppy home this coming Monday. I found a pair of breeders of purebred Jack Russell Terriers right in my own town and the other - just two towns over. I had no idea in the world that we had professional breeders right here on Long Island. In any case, no breeder of Jacks in this country will give a female Jack to an owner of another female Jack, because they say they have a tendency to be very aggressive and in some cases, kill each other. Well, I'm happy to say that we debunked that myth for the 6.5 yrs. that we had Bella and Chloe living happily here under one roof. We had a happy fur family of three female dogs in fact for more than a decade, until we lost our Bella to Lymphoma last January. My husband is demanding that we bring another girl into the house because he doesn't want a boy dog. He believes that a boy would be more aggressive.

An odd thing happened on the second day that I knew and spoke to one of the breeders. As she was telling me how she has bred her sires to my town breeder's dam (not the same two, they've had dozens of dogs in 30 yrs.) and that pair recently delivered a litter of three puppies, she paused and offered me one of the females. I asked how she could offer me a female after telling me horror stories of the female fights she had witnessed, and she told me, "in this case, there will be no aggression on the part of the puppy because she has a handicap. She needs your older dog". More than that, she will see my older Jack as her life long guide dog, and our present dog might take to mothering the puppy.

So my question after my long winded explanation. Has anyone brought home a totally deaf puppy? I'd love to hear stories of how difficult it was to potty train them, and to teach them other necessary things also. I have some helpful accessories coming from Amazon like a soft vibration collar, a seven level silent whistle, a soft harness in addition to her regular collar, a 16' pulley leash to walk her and I still have to choose a collapsible pen to put her crate in. I'm trying to think of everything in advance, but I don't know if it's possible, so suggestions would also be helpful.

Thanks!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh what a sweet story! I do not have any experience with a deaf dog but I'm guessing that the older one will be able to communicate lots to her in terms of potty training, etc. I think the breeder looked at this as a perfection solution for your new furbaby - who better to help her learn than an older sister?

I wish you all the best and I bet this will turn out to be a great story for all of you. Please keep us posted!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your new dog. Getting a new puppy is always exciting. :mrgreen2:

I have a deaf dog. We bought her at a pet shop (I, know, I know...I've since learned that's a no no). She's been deaf her whole life, though we didn't know that when we brought her home. It only took a couple days and a little trial and error to figure it out.

Things I've noticed: Dogs are resilient. They live their lives like there's nothing wrong with them (be it lack of hearing, or a missing limb). I was more sad than she was. It took my DH telling me that she couldn't care less to make me see that. Because she can't hear us, my dog tends to watch me and DH all the time. All. The. Time!:confused2:
She watches me when we go outside. She watches me when she's supposed to be eating dinner (I tend to stay in one area and avoid her gaze so she focuses on eating..she takes the longest time to eat out of all of our dogs). She watches me get ready in the morning. She's very aware of us all the time. It's almost like a sixth sense because, if I stare at her while she's sleeping, she always wakes up and looks at me.

We have 4 dogs. They all get along very well and there is no aggression directed at her (though my dogs very rarely show any aggression anyway). They have their pack mentality and she fits in just fine. One thing I noticed with my dog is that she does not like to sleep with the others. Since she can't hear, she tends to get startled when she's woken up. That means every time one of the other dogs shifts around on their bed, it surprises her. We eventually bought her a bed of her own (ok, it's actually a stackable storage container but she likes that it has 3 "closed" sides). She usually wakes up on her own (she can feel the vibration of me moving around) but if she is sleeping soundly, I usually blow gently on her face and she wakes right up. :D

As for training, I learned some basic hand gestures for commands. I say the command while making the correct hand gesture. My other dogs have picked up on the signs too so that's pretty cool. There are a lot of websites that show you sign language for your dogs.

Now the absolute worst thing about a deaf dog...prepare yourself.
They like to pretend they can't "hear" you. So when your dog is doing something they know they shouldn't be doing,they suddenly develop the ability to avoid all direct eye contact. :lol:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no experience of a deaf dog (although my girl has 'selective hearing :roll2: ) but I just wanted to say that I'm so glad the pup will be getting a new home with you. I've read about the hand signal training, and how effective it is, so good luck and have fun with your new girl.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations gemgirl and I predict your new puppy will be a happy and joyous addition to your family. My sister had a deaf dog and he was such a LOVE. Sweet and loving and just an overall joy. He grew up with cats and dogs (we have lots of fur babies in our family) and never did his "disability" affect his or their quality of life in any way. They all loved him and vice versa and there was never any aggression or bad behavior towards him.

I don't know any details re training etc but all I can say is Jesse responded to cues like hand signaling and facial cues (heck maybe he could lip read!) and you could really never tell that he was deaf. And as elle_71125 wrote animals deal with physical challenges very differently than humans. They don't know something is supposed to be "wrong" with them and they adapt and never feel sorry for themselves etc and they do amazingly well.

Sending you and your family big (((HUGS))) and lots of good luck for a smooth and happy transition and special hugs and kisses to your new puppy!!!

(When I visit PB can we arrange for you and your puppy to visit too?):appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy the puppy is going to a good home with some big sisters to help her out! She is a very lucky puppy to have you!:appl:

(Sorry, no experience with deaf pets but sending my best)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@gemgirl - my Dapple was deaf. She was the most amazing, loving, attentive dog. There's a few things to keep in mind with a deaf dog.

Firstly, deaf dogs can develop OCD very easily. They have a tendency to get 'trapped inside their own heads' - so they can fixate visually on objects or do repetitive behaviors. You can never take a deaf dog for a walk in the dark if you're using a torch - moving small lights send them nuts. You've seen people play 'catch the light' with cats and a laser pointer? You can never do anything like that with a deaf dog - and you need to be very careful with lights moving on walls or on the floors (shadows or moving lights etc that might be shining in from outside). Ditto taking the puppy in the car at night - for a deaf dog, it can have a very similar effect to flashing lights for an epileptic. Dapple used to take a few days to unwind if we ever encountered flashing or moving lights - and this is common for deaf dogs. I'm a member of a FB group for owners of deaf setters, and this is a very common issue.

Remember, they can't hear their own bark, so you can never be cross at them for ongoing barking. Training is very important also. Not simple obedience - but the teaching of hand signals. You CAN talk to a deaf dog - but you need to use sign language for dogs. Dapple used to know come, stay, down, left, right, I love you, good dog, this is bad - don't do it, toilet, hurry up, up, down, car - and a bunch of others. For a deaf dog, the come signal is far and away the most important. After that, 'I love you' goes a long way, too. :)

Also, talk to your puppy, even though she can't hear it; she can see your face and she knows you're engaging with her, even if she can't hear the words. I used to tuck Dapple's head under my chin and yell as loud as I could "Mommy loves Dapple!" Dapple could feel the vibrations, and she knew it meant something good. She'd nuzzle in and wag her tail. The day she died, I tucked her head under my chin one last time just before she was put to sleep. Even then, she wagged her tail ever-so-gently, and knew I loved her.

Deaf dogs startle easily, so they have to be woken or approached gently. Touching them from behind startles them, so be sensitive to that. I used to stomp on the floor when I'd enter the house; deaf dogs tend to be very sensitive to vibration, so she would know I was home and come running. If your girl is sleeping, touch her very gently where she can see you; I would stroke Dapple's paws and she would wake relaxed.

Deaf dogs can feel vibrations, so you can get your dog's attention by clapping loudly repeatedly. Also, try whistling or yelling (bellowing, really) very deeply; sometimes a deaf dog will hear very slightly noises which are more at the edges of their pitch range. Middle pitch is hardest to hear - very high or very low pitches are often detected. And dogs deemed deaf are often not 100% deaf, so try all levels of sounds; she may be able to hear a tiny bit of something.

You can never - ever - use a training collar with a deaf dog. Anything that buzzes or squirts is just cruel for a deafie, and will almost certainly give you OCD. Deaf dogs who develop OCD generally end up being put down, so all these sorts of things are right off the table.

On the plus side - deaf dogs tend to be very attached. They check back in with you often, looking to see where you are, and this makes life a lot easier. They also never care about fireworks, loud trucks, or alarms in the morning. And they totally understand touch! They tend to be suckers for all sorts of petting, and will be the most affectionate of dogs! I loved my girl and I'd have another deafie in a heart beat. Good luck with your new pup, and if there's anything I can do to help, just give me a yell! And I apologize for the length of this post - dogs in general, and deaf dogs in particular, are a bit of a 'thing' for me. :)

ETA Dapple was easier to toilet train than any other dog I've ever had. Dogs - hearing or not - don't do well with words and respond FAR better to visual signals, which they find easier to interpret. Since one always uses signals with deaf dogs, they benefit from this and tend to be very trainable. They also LOVE agility, so these sorts of classes are a real possibility.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh what a sweet story! I do not have any experience with a deaf dog but I'm guessing that the older one will be able to communicate lots to her in terms of potty training, etc. I think the breeder looked at this as a perfection solution for your new furbaby - who better to help her learn than an older sister?

I wish you all the best and I bet this will turn out to be a great story for all of you. Please keep us posted!

Hey MGR! How are you? I know I don't frequency these pages often enough and I'm finding new joy in seeing old friends still here. Actually, that's exactly what one of the breeders said to me, that Lily (the new puppy) will constantly watch Chloe (our soon to be 7 yr. old Jack) and she'll take her cues from Chloe. She will mirror Chloe. I guess we're very lucky that Chloe is a good girl and simply a mush of an affection hound. Yes, I will, I'll keep everyone posted.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your new dog. Getting a new puppy is always exciting. :mrgreen2:

I have a deaf dog. We bought her at a pet shop (I, know, I know...I've since learned that's a no no). She's been deaf her whole life, though we didn't know that when we brought her home. It only took a couple days and a little trial and error to figure it out.

Things I've noticed: Dogs are resilient. They live their lives like there's nothing wrong with them (be it lack of hearing, or a missing limb). I was more sad than she was. It took my DH telling me that she couldn't care less to make me see that. Because she can't hear us, my dog tends to watch me and DH all the time. All. The. Time!:confused2:
She watches me when we go outside. She watches me when she's supposed to be eating dinner (I tend to stay in one area and avoid her gaze so she focuses on eating..she takes the longest time to eat out of all of our dogs). She watches me get ready in the morning. She's very aware of us all the time. It's almost like a sixth sense because, if I stare at her while she's sleeping, she always wakes up and looks at me.

We have 4 dogs. They all get along very well and there is no aggression directed at her (though my dogs very rarely show any aggression anyway). They have their pack mentality and she fits in just fine. One thing I noticed with my dog is that she does not like to sleep with the others. Since she can't hear, she tends to get startled when she's woken up. That means every time one of the other dogs shifts around on their bed, it surprises her. We eventually bought her a bed of her own (ok, it's actually a stackable storage container but she likes that it has 3 "closed" sides). She usually wakes up on her own (she can feel the vibration of me moving around) but if she is sleeping soundly, I usually blow gently on her face and she wakes right up. :D

As for training, I learned some basic hand gestures for commands. I say the command while making the correct hand gesture. My other dogs have picked up on the signs too so that's pretty cool. There are a lot of websites that show you sign language for your dogs.

Now the absolute worst thing about a deaf dog...prepare yourself.
They like to pretend they can't "hear" you. So when your dog is doing something they know they shouldn't be doing,they suddenly develop the ability to avoid all direct eye contact. :lol:

Oh my gosh elle, I so enjoyed reading your post! Thank you so much. I wanted to mention a few things you highlighted on. We're sure our pup is deaf (unfortunately) because the two breeders who have been friends for decades, took a three hour road trip to the rural part of NJ where the puppy was carefully examined by a specialty Vet (who is also a friend of the sire's owner for 35 yrs.) Lily had the very expensive BAER tests done and she only has a miniscule bit of hearing in her colored ear. (She's a 95% white purebred Jack of champion lines. The white dogs of any breed lack pigment in their skin that turns their coat white or buff, but that lack of pigment also kills the neurons in the auditory system, if I got that all right from memory). So..... she may have a teeny tiny bit on one side, hence the purchase of a seven level silent whistle) Getting back to all you said. One of the breeders told me exactly what you said. She's not going to know that she's different or not normal. Because she's a very healthy specimen in every way, she's going to enjoy being a member of a pack and part of our family, as well as enjoying her new home, all the space, beds all around the house, eating, sleeping, a big yard, etc. Basically playing, eating, pooping, sleeping, and rinse and repeat as my friend Lisa says. That's their joy! An important thing, my older dog who I adopted when I bought my house as a single lady, went deaf and blind and had a book of health problems. She was retrained by me with sign at 13. Our eldest dog now Cassie will be 16 in six weeks. She's been deaf for a year and a half. She was a puppy when our first dog learned sign, so Cassie knows it and we use it now. I don't have to learn signing because we already use a combination of ASL signs for people plus some gestures that just happen as a matter of speaking. I'm consistent and it has worked. So if it's not exact by the book, it's OK. For example I'm never going to get my hand to do the ASL sign for toilet because I screw up the finger thing *every time*. LOL! but for Cassie, I grab her huge pulley leash, smack the side with the stainless steel latchy part (she can hear only the sharpest of sounds), do the walking motion with my two fingers and we're out the door.

Thank you for reminding me about blowing on her face. I read that on sites but I had forgotten about it. I'll see if that works for her because that is the most gentle of cues. If I want to wake Cassie now, I gently pet her front paws and that usually does it. I guess I'm most worried about teaching a pup from square one who knows nothing, how to do everything. Cassie and her older sister were old very well trained seniors when they lost their hearing.

The point of this whole unexpected adoption is so our sweet Chloe (7) won't be alone when Cassie leaves us. I thought I had planned as well as I could with a 16 yr old, 12 yr. old and a soon to be 7. Our middle girl passing shattered our hearts and left Chloe without a playmate.

elle, are you with us on FB? I'm hoping so, but if you're not, please drop Ella a message to connect us. I'll do the same.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no experience of a deaf dog (although my girl has 'selective hearing :roll2: ) but I just wanted to say that I'm so glad the pup will be getting a new home with you. I've read about the hand signal training, and how effective it is, so good luck and have fun with your new girl.

Thank you Austina!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lily & sister 08.20.17 [4] Cropped.JPG
Congratulations gemgirl and I predict your new puppy will be a happy and joyous addition to your family. My sister had a deaf dog and he was such a LOVE. Sweet and loving and just an overall joy. He grew up with cats and dogs (we have lots of fur babies in our family) and never did his "disability" affect his or their quality of life in any way. They all loved him and vice versa and there was never any aggression or bad behavior towards him.

I don't know any details re training etc but all I can say is Jesse responded to cues like hand signaling and facial cues (heck maybe he could lip read!) and you could really never tell that he was deaf. And as elle_71125 wrote animals deal with physical challenges very differently than humans. They don't know something is supposed to be "wrong" with them and they adapt and never feel sorry for themselves etc and they do amazingly well.

Sending you and your family big (((HUGS))) and lots of good luck for a smooth and happy transition and special hugs and kisses to your new puppy!!!

(When I visit PB can we arrange for you and your puppy to visit too?):appl:

Thank you missy and once she learns a thing or two, send give you a big muah! right back. (Lily is the pup with the color on her left ear). Her fraternal twin is the mirror image of Lily, but a perfect specimen. She's going to be kept by the breeder to use for shows and to breed, just like her mama.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lili Bianca Angelica at 8 wks. 08.18.17 Cropped.jpg For some reason, I can't rotate that sideways photo.
I'll try one more.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lili Bianca Angelica at 8 wks. 08.18.17 Cropped.jpg For some reason, I can't rotate that sideways photo.
I'll try one more.

It looks like she has a big head in that photo, but she doesn't. <<<cuePBlaughing>>> !

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adorable :kiss2:

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh elle, I so enjoyed reading your post! Thank you so much. I wanted to mention a few things you highlighted on. We're sure our pup is deaf (unfortunately) because the two breeders who have been friends for decades, took a three hour road trip to the rural part of NJ where the puppy was carefully examined by a specialty Vet (who is also a friend of the sire's owner for 35 yrs.) Lily had the very expensive BAER tests done and she only has a miniscule bit of hearing in her colored ear. (She's a 95% white purebred Jack of champion lines. The white dogs of any breed lack pigment in their skin that turns their coat white or buff, but that lack of pigment also kills the neurons in the auditory system, if I got that all right from memory). So..... she may have a teeny tiny bit on one side, hence the purchase of a seven level silent whistle) Getting back to all you said. One of the breeders told me exactly what you said. She's not going to know that she's different or not normal. Because she's a very healthy specimen in every way, she's going to enjoy being a member of a pack and part of our family, as well as enjoying her new home, all the space, beds all around the house, eating, sleeping, a big yard, etc. Basically playing, eating, pooping, sleeping, and rinse and repeat as my friend Lisa says. That's their joy! An important thing, my older dog who I adopted when I bought my house as a single lady, went deaf and blind and had a book of health problems. She was retrained by me with sign at 13. Our eldest dog now Cassie will be 16 in six weeks. She's been deaf for a year and a half. She was a puppy when our first dog learned sign, so Cassie knows it and we use it now. I don't have to learn signing because we already use a combination of ASL signs for people plus some gestures that just happen as a matter of speaking. I'm consistent and it has worked. So if it's not exact by the book, it's OK. For example I'm never going to get my hand to do the ASL sign for toilet because I screw up the finger thing *every time*. LOL! but for Cassie, I grab her huge pulley leash, smack the side with the stainless steel latchy part (she can hear only the sharpest of sounds), do the walking motion with my two fingers and we're out the door.

Thank you for reminding me about blowing on her face. I read that on sites but I had forgotten about it. I'll see if that works for her because that is the most gentle of cues. If I want to wake Cassie now, I gently pet her front paws and that usually does it. I guess I'm most worried about teaching a pup from square one who knows nothing, how to do everything. Cassie and her older sister were old very well trained seniors when they lost their hearing.

The point of this whole unexpected adoption is so our sweet Chloe (7) won't be alone when Cassie leaves us. I thought I had planned as well as I could with a 16 yr old, 12 yr. old and a soon to be 7. Our middle girl passing shattered our hearts and left Chloe without a playmate.

elle, are you with us on FB? I'm hoping so, but if you're not, please drop Ella a message to connect us. I'll do the same.

I'm going to sound silly here, but contact who? I do not know who Ella is. :shifty:
I have a "fake" Facebook acct that I use to follow some gem stuff. I don't have a real acct under my name because, well hmm, because it's too much work, I guess, for this total introvert. :oops: Still, I would be more than happy to connect through FB, if you give me a smidge more info. :mrgreen2:

I wouldn't worry too much about training. She will pick up on it pretty quickly. My dog, Keira, is whip smart and she took no time at all for training. I think I read that terriers are really smart too. Watching the other dogs respond to your commands will help a lot! That's actually how my dog learned to sit. Honest to God, she watched my other dogs do it twice and just sat down. It was the easiest command we had to teach her. :lol: I don't follow all the commands either. Some of them I've just come up with on my own. I guess we all do that. I have my own way to say "hi. I love you" and she's the only dog I do that sign to and it makes her so happy. :kiss2:

Mrs.B pointed out a really important point. They do not hear their own barks. This, admittedly, has lead to some stress for me. I don't mind when she barks because I just catch her eye and tell her to stop. I do mind when she basically yells/screams. She doesn't hear it but it is god awful to listen to. So loud! :confused2: She only does this occasionally (thank goodness) but it is very shrill. Cutting nails, for instance, is a task she is not fond of. She screams every time like we're killing her (definitely a two person job in my house) but once we put her down she looks all adorable and waggy like "what's up, mom?"

Another thing I've noticed is that she is not fond of strangers. I don't know if that has anything to do with her lack of hearing but she will glue herself to my side, if someone comes to visit. Definitely make sure to socialize her a lot with other dogs and with people. Deaf or not, that's a good pet practice. :D

I'm glad you're adopting her. You just know her life with you would be so much better than where she could end up. The store we bought our dog at offered to take her back for a refund and I was all "are you crazy? She's a member of our family now." I dread thinking about her fate had we been the kind of people to send her back. Anyways, your little girl is so adorable. Have you decided on a name yet?

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle, I was told to be patient with her bark. We don't know what it's going to sound like. We'll hear it for the first time when we bring her home and she joins in barking with Chloe. Because she has a scant few percentage points of hearing in her left ear, (she had the very accurate BAER test), my guess is that she probably *will* hear the tiniest bit of high pitch sound like when Chloe (our six yr. old Jack) barks like crazy when Daddy comes home from work every night. Chloe tends to have a shriek that goes right through everyone's head when she's excited. I'm giving her one day and she'll be chiming in with Chloe. However she sounds, we'll love her anyway.

This is an interesting thing, I was never attracted to all white Jacks and ironically it's her coloring that caused her deafness. I was looking for a tri-color just like Chloe, but this dog is not being sold to us. The breeder is giving her to us. The breeder's main focus was to find her the best home possible, and she thinks we're ideal candidates because of the life we have given our other girls. The two breeders that created this litter are both breeders, trainers, they show dogs, they own champions and they judge JRT competitions. The sire owner called me before the weekend and told me that she will be at her friend's estate for Labor Day judging Jack competitions throughtout the Labor Day weekend, and that her friend who is a Vet along with her husband who is a Vet own Northgate Jack Russell Terriers in NJ. Dr. S.T. the wife, has offered me unlimited phone support in acclimating and training the puppy. She herself has had a deaf Jack for 16 yrs. and she adores her. I thought that was very generous of her. It seems we have a good support system. (Still I'm quietly freaking out).

I've named her Lily because of her coloring. (The phrase Lily white was in a Cat Stevens song from years ago) I usually just look at the pups before we bring them home, a name pops into my mind and it sticks. My husband doesn't like it, so he may make me change it. We'll see.

I just wrote Ella an email. I hope she connects us. Ella is one of our moderators.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new puppy is very lucky to have you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle, I was told to be patient with her bark. We don't know what it's going to sound like. We'll hear it for the first time when we bring her home and she joins in barking with Chloe. Because she has a scant few percentage points of hearing in her left ear, (she had the very accurate BAER test), my guess is that she probably *will* hear the tiniest bit of high pitch sound like when Chloe (our six yr. old Jack) barks like crazy when Daddy comes home from work every night. Chloe tends to have a shriek that goes right through everyone's head when she's excited. I'm giving her one day and she'll be chiming in with Chloe. However she sounds, we'll love her anyway.

This is an interesting thing, I was never attracted to all white Jacks and ironically it's her coloring that caused her deafness. I was looking for a tri-color just like Chloe, but this dog is not being sold to us. The breeder is giving her to us. The breeder's main focus was to find her the best home possible, and she thinks we're ideal candidates because of the life we have given our other girls. The two breeders that created this litter are both breeders, trainers, they show dogs, they own champions and they judge JRT competitions. The sire owner called me before the weekend and told me that she will be at her friend's estate for Labor Day judging Jack competitions throughtout the Labor Day weekend, and that her friend who is a Vet along with her husband who is a Vet own Northgate Jack Russell Terriers in NJ. Dr. S.T. the wife, has offered me unlimited phone support in acclimating and training the puppy. She herself has had a deaf Jack for 16 yrs. and she adores her. I thought that was very generous of her. It seems we have a good support system. (Still I'm quietly freaking out).

I've named her Lily because of her coloring. (The phrase Lily white was in a Cat Stevens song from years ago) I usually just look at the pups before we bring them home, a name pops into my mind and it sticks. My husband doesn't like it, so he may make me change it. We'll see.

I just wrote Ella an email. I hope she connects us. Ella is one of our moderators.

Alternatively you can set up an account on Loupe Troop and connect yourselves that way. I apologize if I missed you discussing that option.

Sharing a photo of my sister's deaf dog. He is gone now and sorely missed. He was a love and a joy and we never ever thought of him as handicapped. IDK it just never altered his (or ours with him) quality of life. He was a dear. May your new family member bring you as much love and joy and happiness. Wishing you all the best.

sweetdearHarleysummer2015.jpg

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's just the initial adjustment to everything being both new and different. A new puppy is always a slightly jarring experience, to go back to housebreaking schedules, crates with closed doors, puppy crying, etc. but it's going to be slightly different because she can't hear and needs a little more time, patience, training, etc. To me it's worth it though, or else I wouldn't do it. Our two girls know our schedule so well, they keep *me* on a timer.

I'm sorry your sister's family lost their furry love.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your imput mrs-b.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lily came home with us last night and everyone is OK and getting used to the new family member.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, gemgirl, this is such exciting news! I never brought home or had to bring up a deaf puppy. The only experience I had with a deaf dog is when my older spaniel (when I was a child) went deaf in her old age. An older dog going deaf is totally different, of course, because she already knows how to do everything in the way that the household expects.

My mother, who was definitely Dilly's "owner", said that after she went deaf she just lived in a very peaceful world where she didn't have to bark at everything and be on guard all the time. She was always a gentle, peachy (and peachy colored) dog, however. I am sure that as an experienced dog owner you will do beautifully with your new girl (with Lily). Please keep the photos and the news coming!

Hugs to all of you in your family,
Deb :wavey:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have experience or advice regarding deaf dogs, but just wanted to pop in and say what a cutie! Congratulations on the new addition to your family.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, gemgirl, this is such exciting news! I never brought home or had to bring up a deaf puppy. The only experience I had with a deaf dog is when my older spaniel (when I was a child) went deaf in her old age. An older dog going deaf is totally different, of course, because she already knows how to do everything in the way that the household expects.

My mother, who was definitely Dilly's "owner", said that after she went deaf she just lived in a very peaceful world where she didn't have to bark at everything and be on guard all the time. She was always a gentle, peachy (and peachy colored) dog, however. I am sure that as an experienced dog owner you will do beautifully with your new girl (with Lily). Please keep the photos and the news coming!

Hugs to all of you in your family,
Deb :wavey:

Hi Deb honey, how are you doing this week? Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.
Lily is doing much better today than Monday night or all day yesterday. She's beginning to understand that she does her business outside. It's just a force of habit (every time she wakes up from sleeping and after she eats anything). She's too young to be around our other Jack because she's too pouncey, playful and nippy but in time, they'll all co-exist peacefully although 16 yr. old Cassie really wants no part of the whole new puppy thing. I do have more pictures but I have to collect them from my iPhone, iPad and my husband's iPhone and keep downloading them to our computer. I still talk to her, even though she can't hear. While I want to say it's just a force of habit, I've been told that they can read our facial expressions as we speak.

We have a very senior deaf dog and you are right. It's completely different teaching a trained older dog signs for common commands, than trying to train a young puppy who knows nothing. Today Lily is ten weeks old. I'll keep you posted.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have experience or advice regarding deaf dogs, but just wanted to pop in and say what a cutie! Congratulations on the new addition to your family.

Thank yo mp. It will nice that she'll be trained and able to keep our 6.5 yr. old company when our oldest girl passes away.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your story melts my heart! Congrats on the new puppy!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your story melts my heart! Congrats on the new puppy!

AB, Lily is proving herself to be one little handful and a half. I jokingly call her (and sometimes, not really jokingly) "demon dog". I never heard such screaming and screeching in my life!!! and she tries to chew every single object on the floor.

My husband brought in a big tote bin that he usually keeps painting supplies in, for me to use to put Lily in temporarily, while I clean her crate tray. The one bit of progress we've made (so far) is that she only peed and pooped in her crate the first day she was here. Since then, it's all outside.

She's not so tiny either. She's a smidge under 6 lbs. already at only ten weeks. Our full grown Jack Chloe, was half her size at the same age.

21271041_1670414462991334_3771267478807853651_n.jpg

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely a pure bred JRT. The heavily pigmented spots on her underside are a dead give away.

Lily getting her bedtime belly rubs from Daddy.

21105536_1668865249812922_4731523447746314207_n.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want that belly!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results