shape
carat
color
clarity

Knee injections/stems cells/ anything

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So as of Monday my knee was totally fine,; I cancelled my ortho appointment. Then Tues-Today it hurts so bad I want to cut it off. (Stress fracture tibia, completely destroyed right knee. Metal allergy, so not thrilled about TKR).

DH brought up the idea of stem cell injections to try. Our friend (my son’s godfather’ is a physical medicine and rehab doc so I called him and he said he’s do it for free (lol) if I found out what product for him to learn about and inject. Obviously, this is attractive lol and I do trust he would learn and do it correctly etc).

The “real” stem cell treatment harvests your cells from your fat or bone marrow. There are docs in the state who do this, but I believe it’s 5-7k per knee.

Anyway, has anyone done this in the USA or abroad (I understand outside of the us, the studies have been going on longer and are showing definite therapeutic benefit where the us studies show meh results)? How much was it? How did you do? Etc.

Bonus points if anyone can name the product. Lol

Thanks in advance!!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Hi, I know your husband probably has more data on this than me and more access to journals, but just from the perspective of hiring neurosurgeon and orthopedic surgeons as experts in my cases, the general consensus that I am typically told by over 95 percent of the doctors I consult with is that the stem cell therapy offered by most orthos or sport medicine docs has no proven efficacy and it's based on junk science. They may be more conservative doctors too. But, from multiple docs I have been advised they are simply not effective and more so have a placebo effect. This is the view on the marrow/ fat as well as the general "platelet" injections.

But the reading is all over the place.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/13/health/stem-cells-fda.html

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-04-elite-hospitals-plunge-unproven-stem.html

https://www.medscape.com/answers/33...py-for-the-treatment-of-osteoarthritis-oa#qna

Probably zero help to you.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I know your husband probably has more data on this than me and more access to journals, but just from the perspective of hiring neurosurgeon and orthopedic surgeons as experts in my cases, the general consensus that I am typically told by over 95 percent of the doctors I consult with is that the stem cell therapy offered by most orthos or sport medicine docs has no proven efficacy and it's based on junk science. They may be more conservative doctors too. But, from multiple docs I have been advised they are simply not effective and more so have a placebo effect. This is the view on the marrow/ fat as well as the general "platelet" injections.

But the reading is all over the place.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/13/health/stem-cells-fda.html

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-04-elite-hospitals-plunge-unproven-stem.html

https://www.medscape.com/answers/33...py-for-the-treatment-of-osteoarthritis-oa#qna

Probably zero help to you.

Thanks, I’ll read them. I’ll always read anything.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, to update! I had three meniscus tears cut out last month, and one was a biggie. While I surgery, they took stem cells from my hip bone marrow and platelet rich plasma from my arms and infected in my knee socket and I have been in physical therapy 3x a week.

I still walk like a peg leg pirate, but it’s all getting better. My pain levels are down to say 2-3.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh, sounds like you've been miserable. I hope you feel better soon. I don't have anything to add on the medical side.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
praying for you.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am having my second total knee replacement oct 1. If stem cell worked I would totally do it but as far as I know it’s not real promising at this point.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, everyone. PT has been challenging because I haven’t walked normally since early March. So I have a habit of swinging my right leg out for pain avoidance etc.

This doc charged $4,900 for the stem cell procedure so I figured what the hell. I’ve spent more money on dumber things before. I thought it was worth the shot. It takes 6-8 months for it to start to take effect and if I don’t need a TKR in 2 years then that’s a good sign. (I have a metal allergy including a known titanium allergy so am trying to avoid TKR).

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
hi whitewave, I know we don't always agree on diamond cuts and things, but I soooo understand your metal allergies. Just wanted to share so you don't feel odd or alone...
I may be allergic to titanium as well. can't have implants probably. I'm also seriously allergic to silica, copper, nickle etc., in porcelain crowns, and have had several perfectly beautiful ones ripped out because they made me so very ill.
Anyway, I've been following your story with interest because,well, what does one do in this kind of situation.
Sending healing thoughts your way.
TT

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi whitewave, I know we don't always agree on diamond cuts and things, but I soooo understand your metal allergies. Just wanted to share so you don't feel odd or alone...
I may be allergic to titanium as well. can't have implants probably. I'm also seriously allergic to silica, copper, nickle etc., in porcelain crowns, and have had several perfectly beautiful ones ripped out because they made me so very ill.
Anyway, I've been following your story with interest because,well, what does one do in this kind of situation.
Sending healing thoughts your way.
TT

Yes, I’ve had to have my metal fillings removed and every now and again my bridge (since my body rejected the implant twice) get inflamed for no reason and then it goes away.

You should have seen my knee after surgery— it broke out and I also developed 2 blisters. The doc at my first check up was like WTF all we did was wrap it with an ace bandage... and I replied well this is me. He was stunned at how sensitive I am.

I’m sorry you deal with this too.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I’ve had to have my metal fillings removed and every now and again my bridge (since my body rejected the implant twice) get inflamed for no reason and then it goes away.

You should have seen my knee after surgery— it broke out and I also developed 2 blisters. The doc at my first check up was like WTF all we did was wrap it with an ace bandage... and I replied well this is me. He was stunned at how sensitive I am.

I’m sorry you deal with this too.

You know, they have new implants made of fake diamonds! Zirconium. It's funny, cause before that, I always used to say, well, I know I can take diamonds, if they made it out of diamond I'd be fine. Ten years later they have zirconium ( not the same I know...but it's kind of funny)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, they have new implants made of fake diamonds! Zirconium. It's funny, cause before that, I always used to say, well, I know I can take diamonds, if they made it out of diamond I'd be fine. Ten years later they have zirconium ( not the same I know...but it's kind of funny)

Yes, lol. I had that zirconium ring made and right after that I found the doc who said no TKR. So the ring isn’t getting worn right now.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave continued healing dust and good thoughts being sent your way. I wish the knee stem cell injections would work well and then I would have my dh get them. He needs a knee replacement desperately but unfortunately we have to put it on hold for now. Hope you heal well and have a smooth recovery and tbat you are pain free very soon. Level 2-3 is much better from where you started and may it go to zero very soon!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave continued healing dust and good thoughts being sent your way. I wish the knee stem cell injections would work well and then I would have my dh get them. He needs a knee replacement desperately but unfortunately we have to put it on hold for now. Hope you heal well and have a smooth recovery and tbat you are pain free very soon. Level 2-3 is much better from where you started and may it go to zero very soon!

Thank you. And I’ll keep this thread updated over the next few years to see if I think this helped or not.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results