Do you remember ?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
buying a candy bar for 10 cents.
gas was 20 cents per gal.
a postage stamp was 5 cents.
most TV shows was in B&W.
there were no Japanese cars on the road.
49 cents for a banana split at Woolworth.
school lunch was 20 cents
If yes then you are pretty old...
grandpa.gif
:lol:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
DF you make me feel old but not that old lol!
The cheapest I remember gas was 45c a gallon.
Many tvs were still black and white but many people had color tvs.
Our upstairs tv was color but the downstairs tv was b&w.
School lunch was 25c and milk was 5c
Candy bar was 15c but you could get a smaller one for 10c and 3 gumballs for a penny.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6 cent popsicles! My brother and I would buy one and split it!
I also remember when typewriters has cent symbol keys! ;)2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember when the NYC subway was 75 cents.
I remember when the payphone was a dime.
I remember when we had working pay phones.

My dh remembers when gas was 70 cents a gallon. I don't remember the price of gas. I remember the gas crisis of the late 70s when we had to wait on line to get gas on certain days. I would go with my dad (I was too young to drive) and I remember those days.

My dh remembers when postage stamps were 5 cents.

We never bought school lunches as my mom made them for us but I remember M&Ms were lesss than a dollar a bag in school. I don't remember the exact price though. I am that old as my memory is shot.:P2

I remember short dresses were all the rage in the 60s as were short hair cuts a la Twiggy.
Then it was long straight hair parted in the middle with bell bottoms. I loved each decade of fashion. I think that is what I remember most about the 60s and 70s.

40 years ago circa 1979 (my hair had been much longer down my back but I just had it cut short here)

missyasteen1979.jpg.png

Talk about feeling old. A 40 year old photo :o

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember gas being 45 cents and candy bars being 10 cents.

I also remember when people started buying Japanese cars. One of my uncles had a Datsun 240Z when they first came out.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6 cent popsicles! My brother and I would buy one and split it!
I also remember when typewriters has cent symbol keys! ;)2
I remember going to the Ca. state fair on Broadway & Stockton Bl..;)2

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to remember the old household items.
Glass shampoo bottles!
s-l1600.jpg

Who remembers Tame? It was 'creme rinse', not conditioner.
s-l1600.jpg

Nail polish remover in a glass bottle
s-l400.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
buying a candy bar for 10 cents. $.05
gas was 20 cents per gal. as low as $17 during gas wars
a postage stamp was 5 cents. .01 for a postcard, nickels were for letters.
most TV shows was in B&W. All TV shows were in B&W
there were no Japanese cars on the road.
49 cents for a banana split at Woolworth. My dad was a dentist, there were no banana splits for me...
school lunch was 20 cents
If yes then you are pretty old...
grandpa.gif
:lol:

Yes, but I am the youngest old man you will ever meet!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember going to the Ca. state fair on Broadway & Stockton Bl..;)2

I don’t remember that, actually... I was still living elsewhere way back then!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I remember just about everything every one has posted.

I also remember not signing up for insurance with one of my college summer jobs, as it/insurance really didn't make that much of a difference in those days. My, how times have changed. And going to the doctor back then was like going to Mcdonalds today, cheap & easy.

My sister & I used to ride our bikes to the Saturday matinees & my mom would give us a dollar. The tickets were 40 cents each, leaving a dime each for a full size candy bar.

I also recall 30-40 cents a gallon gas...egads how did i get this old!!:shock::lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i remember when Moro bars went up from 40c to 50c
when an iceblock (popsicle) was 5c and a little bag of chips for play lunch was 5c
i remember when the newspaper was 20c and when milk went up to 20c for a pint
i remember a thing called a 20c mixture they sold at the dairy (corner shop) that was lots of looses lollies
i remember when if i was lucky enough to buy my school lunch (i usually went home for lunch) 90c brought a pie, bag of chips and a fizzy drinky
sussage rolls were 15 cents

but my favourite memory is coming home for lunch when i was 7 and finding a colour tv in the lounge
NZ had only had colour with the Christchurch commonwealth games in 1974
this was now 1978
my dad was factory manager of a firm who alongside their furniture sold appliances
you had to go on a waiting list for a colour tv but there was a cancellation and as staff, dad jumped the quee
the first thing my mum wanted to do was watch the Brady bunch to see what the kitchen would be like in colour
anyway i remember going back to school so excitted to tell my friends we had colour tv

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first got my driver's license in 1976 unleaded gas was 59 cents per gal. unleaded gas was a new product back then. I had to paid 10 cents more per gal than my friends b/c I was driving a 1975 car which took unleaded gas only. :angryfire: leaded gas was 49 cents per gal in 1976.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
50 cents—candy bar
98 cents—cheapest gas
20 or 25 cents—stamps
MTV had just come out a few years ago
Signs in parking lots in my Midwest GM factory town said “do not park rice burners here.”
My dad was buying some of the first Honda/Toyota in town.
Lunch was maybe 95 cents or a dollar, but I usually brought my own or didn’t eat and drank Diet Coke instead.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey DF, how old were you when you got your first license?

Back then in Idaho we could get our daytime permit at twelve since so many of the kids lived on farms and ranches and needed to be able to drive. Had to wait until I was sixteen for my nighttime permit.

When my daughter went to the Catalan area in Spain for a summer she said all the Spanish kids were jealous that she got to drive at 16, they had to wait until they were 18.

My daughter said all the American kids were jealous that the Spanish kids could go to the pubs with their parents and have half a glass of wine or beer, even when they were way less than the legal age. She went with the family that hosted her to the pub almost every evening until 8:30 or nine, nursing her half a beer or wine, then they all went home and ate dinner by 9:30 or ten. Her host family had three kids, one her age, and the other two we're younger. All stayed with their folks at the pub and had a wonderful time talking about their days.

Sounded like a great experience to me.

Wink

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey DF, how old were you when you got your first license?

Wink
I was 17 the 2nd yr in high school. It is Friday nite time to go
martini.gif
..:silenced:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I fondly remember a Macdonald Big Breakfast with scrambled egg, sausage, toasted muffin and hash brown for only 99p in UK.

DK :roll2::lol-2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah yes.
I remember 5 cent Sunny Boys (a frozen orange flavored ice in a triangle shape). Also that 10 cents worth of mixed lollies was a lot of lollies. Here in Australia my favorites were Choo Choo bars (aniseed chewy type) Musk Sticks, Cobblers (chocolate covered hard caramel squares) and Sherbies.
A treat ice cream was a Splice or Golden Gaytime. Back then 1 cent and 2 cent coins were legal tender, long gone now, our lowest denomination is 5 cents and 5 cents buys nothing anymore!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember lots of this too but not so sure about the lowest gas price I remember. . .

I remember going to McDonald's with friends and you could get a double hamburger (not on the menu anymore), fries, Coke and fried apple pie (no good anymore since they are baked) for .99 - dinner for less than a dollar!

I remember taking Coke bottles back to the store and getting .02 for each one - recycling in its early days!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My grandfather owned a car dealership when I was growing up and there was a coke machine in the waiting room. It offered ice cold cokes in a glass bottle for a dime. To make it even better, my grandfather had a big bowl of dimes on his desk so that all of his grandkids could have a coke whenever they wanted. I really miss him.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I remember the Prell and my sister had a bottle of the Cutex.
My then new boyfriend..now husband was in school in the service..and was staying at his grandma’s house for the weekend so he could take me out. When he kissed me I smelled Prell shampoo! Hahaha!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My then new boyfriend..now husband was in school in the service..and was staying at his grandma’s house for the weekend so he could take me out. When he kissed me I smelled Prell shampoo! Hahaha!

Oh the little things we remember @Mamabean. Happy memories!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember going to McDonald's with friends and you could get a double hamburger (not on the menu anymore), fries, Coke and fried apple pie (no good anymore since they are baked) for .99 - dinner for less than a dollar!
Yeah, Their fried apple pie was good :lickout: the last time I ate one was probably like 20 yrs ago.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely remember Prell shampoo - it was kind of harsh which meant you had to use the Tame cream rinse - lol!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this was now 1978
my dad was factory manager of a firm who alongside their furniture sold appliances
you had to go on a waiting list for a colour tv but there was a cancellation and as staff, dad jumped the quee
the first thing my mum wanted to do was watch the Brady bunch to see what the kitchen would be like in colour
anyway i remember going back to school so excitted to tell my friends we had colour tv
I remember in 1972 my mom worked at a cannery for the summer and she made $425 then bought us a RCA 25" color TV for $425. This TV had been broken many yrs ago but still at my niece's house today.

rca-xl100-console-tv.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I fondly remember a Macdonald Big Breakfast with scrambled egg, sausage, toasted muffin and hash brown for only 99p in UK.

DK :roll2::lol-2:

I actually worked for a couple of weeks for The McDonald's in Boise at the time. This would have been around 1961 if memory serves. The double hamburger, milkshake and fries was $0.49.

The owner of the franchise worked me like a slave for my two week probationary period and when I showed up to work after my first day of school, ninth grade, he told me he had hired someone older who could work during the lunch hour. It was many years before I ever ate in a McDonald's again, and that was because my kids wanted those (expletive deleted) happy meals with toys.

LOL, not a lot of nostalgia in that memory...

Wink

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually worked for a couple of weeks for The McDonald's in Boise at the time. This would have been around 1961 if memory serves. The double hamburger, milkshake and fries was $0.49.

The owner of the franchise worked me like a slave for my two week probationary period and when I showed up to work after my first day of school, ninth grade, he told me he had hired someone older who could work during the lunch hour. It was many years before I ever ate in a McDonald's again, and that was because my kids wanted those (expletive deleted) happy meals with toys.

LOL, not a lot of nostalgia in that memory...

Wink
ill give the local branch a dirty look next time we drive past

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I remember in 1972 my mom worked at a cannery for the summer and she made $425 then bought us a RCA 25" color TV for $425. This TV had been broken many yrs ago but still at my niece's house today.

rca-xl100-console-tv.jpg
they really were a piece of furniture in those days
our K9 is long gone but it must have looked like this
it was even made in NZ
MA_I075467_TePapa_Colour-television-set_preview.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ill give the local branch a dirty look next time we drive past

Well, there are many here now, and I know the owner who treated me so poorly is long gone. Heck, I wish I had invested the $50 k a franchise cost back then, but as a ninth grader, I do not think I could have gotten the loan. ;-)

I will say that McDonald's has been the salvation of many a beleaguered parent needing a place to let the kids play while dinner was ordered.

Wink

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, there are many here now, and I know the owner who treated me so poorly is long gone. Heck, I wish I had invested the $50 k a franchise cost back then, but as a ninth grader, I do not think I could have gotten the loan. ;-)

I will say that McDonald's has been the salvation of many a beleaguered parent needing a place to let the kids play while dinner was ordered.

Wink
my home town never got MacDonalds till i was in my 2nd to last year of high school and before that i can remember the girls volleyball team coming home after a trip to Brisbane Australia and all they talked about was going to MacDonalds

what i actually noticed was how much more rubbish was left on the streets and thrown out car windows that had not been there before

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results