shape
carat
color
clarity

Name change / travel plans question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey all! Just a quick question. Thanks in advance for any info, this stuff confuses me!

I got married about a month ago, and now I've got all my paperwork ready to go to initiate my name change.

However, I've got travel plans coming in up the middle of December. My plane ticket is in my maiden name. I could've booked in with my married name, but the CA DMV says to allow 60 days to get your new license after a name change--which I don't have.

So my question is... if I initiate the name change now, even if it does all go through by the time I fly, can I use my passport with my maiden name on it to travel? Even though it may not technically be my legal name anymore...? (but aren't they still tied together, anyway?) Or is that a problem, illegal or otherwise?

OR should I just wait until after the trip to start everything?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't do the name change until after you travel unless you want trouble IMO. OR unless the airline will let you change your ticket...but the passport likely won't be in by then unless you expedite it, so I would wait personally. Last thing you want is for them not to let you on the plane because the documents don't match.

If any of your documents don't match make sure to carry a notarized official copy of your marriage license with you just in case, but I wouldn't risk it personally.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no, I guess I wrote that confusingly... sorry!!

I already have a passport, which I used to travel for our honeymoon. It has my maiden name on it.

I'm talking about keeping my ticket as "Musey MaidenName" and using my passport with "Musey MaidenName" on it to travel, even though my name change to "Musey MarriedName" may be anywhere from in process to complete.

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
I had a similar issue just after I got married. I went ahead with my name change without thinking that I'd already booked tickets to my cousin's wedding with my maiden name (purchased before my wedding).

I called the airline (Delta) and explained the situation... they told me to bring a copy of my marriage license to show along with my ID. It turns out that since my ticket was booked "Firstname Maidenname" and my new ID showed "Firstname Maidenname NewLastName" they didn't even need to see the marriage license but I think I just got lucky that the ticket agent (who had also recently gotten married) used some common sense.

Why don't you call the airline and see what they say? I think that between you passport, new ID, and marriage license you should be OK... but better safe than sorry... sad thing is it probably just depends on who checks you in for your flight.

ETA... I think I also took my passport (which was still in my maiden name) just in case since it was the only official ID i had showing my old name.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 2:45:22 PM
Author: applequeen
Why don't you call the airline and see what they say? I think that between you passport, new ID, and marriage license you should be OK... but better safe than sorry... sad thing is it probably just depends on who checks you in for your flight.
Wouldn't it save everyone confusion/headache if I just used my passport (with my maiden name) and traveled as though no name change had yet occurred?

I'm asking mostly because I won't have a new ID by then, anyway (in all likelihood). I got a new driver's license after moving last February, and they told me it would be 60 days, but it actually took 68. I'm traveling in 49 days so I'm almost positive that I won't have new ID that lists me as "Musey MarriedName" by that point.

So when I travel I will have a driver's license with the name "Musey MaidenName" that has a hole punched in it and a sticker saying "for picture ID purposes ONLY," a passport that has not expired or been marked invalid that lists my name as "Musey MaidenName," and a ticket that lists me as "Musey MaidenName." It seems like it would be simpler to just pretend that the name change isn't in process, but I'm trying to figure out if there are some problems (legal or otherwise) that I haven't thought of with that?

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
As your passport is still in your maiden name you can use that for airline travel...that you booked in maiden name

I always use my passport when I fly...it is bigger and harder to lose or get misplaced

If you are renting a car best to rent in the same name a license...and/or bring copy of marriage license

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Yes much easier...to just use passport

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 2:58:09 PM
Author: musey

Date: 11/6/2008 2:45:22 PM
Author: applequeen
Why don''t you call the airline and see what they say? I think that between you passport, new ID, and marriage license you should be OK... but better safe than sorry... sad thing is it probably just depends on who checks you in for your flight.
Wouldn''t it save everyone confusion/headache if I just used my passport (with my maiden name) and traveled as though no name change had yet occurred?

I''m asking mostly because I won''t have a new ID by then, anyway (in all likelihood). I got a new driver''s license after moving last February, and they told me it would be 60 days, but it actually took 68. I''m traveling in 49 days so I''m almost positive that I won''t have new ID that lists me as ''Musey MarriedName'' by that point.

So when I travel I will have a driver''s license with the name ''Musey MaidenName'' that has a hole punched in it and a sticker saying ''for picture ID purposes ONLY,'' a passport that has not expired or been marked invalid that lists my name as ''Musey MaidenName,'' and a ticket that lists me as ''Musey MaidenName.''
That had been my original plan too.... I took the other stuff just in case. It really was no big deal.

So yeah... use the passport but I''d carry a copy of my license because you just never know. I actually kept an offical copy in my purse for a couple of months (I kept finding things that needed to be changed) and it came in handy a time or two.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Ideally all of your ID would be the same, but if your passport is in your maiden and you only use that for the flight, it should be fine. I think the only issue would be if you had to show a second form of ID (for some reason) and that had your new name on it.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
I never did get around to changing my name...maiden name much shorter...many signatures per day...

I only had problem once with car rental...where spouses already included...since my stuff was different... I had to show Marriage license

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d wait until after your trip to change everything. Reason being is you''re traveling in the middle of Dec. with holiday traffic, etc., and who knows what sorts of issues you may come across. Make it as easy as you can.

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
I ran into the same issue after my wedding. I changed everything but the passport until I got through some pre-planned travel, and then once I had all those trips over with, made the change on my passport. I had no issues using a passport in my maiden name when my DL had my married name.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks picco, NEL and diane--I think I'll do that then. My life will be so much easier if I get the name change out of the way ASAP (for many reasons, mostly professional).

MC, I guess I was trying to figure out what "issues I might come across." I've flown a lot in recent years, and I can't think of a time when I've had to show more than one form of picture ID... but I didn't know if there was some kind of behind the scenes check that they do, like looking up your govt. records or something when you check in. Who knows--not me.

Apple, I'll take your advice and put a copy of the marriage license in my purse right now. Good tip!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn''t know if there was some kind of behind the scenes check that they do, like looking up your govt. records or something when you check in. Who knows--not me.
Yikes, looking up government records? lol
32.gif
Sometime in the near future, for all we know, that will be the norm. They will know when someone owes the IRS millions and is trying to flee the country
2.gif

Where are you traveling to?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 3:35:35 PM
Author: MC
I didn't know if there was some kind of behind the scenes check that they do, like looking up your govt. records or something when you check in. Who knows--not me.
Yikes, looking up government records? lol
32.gif
Sometime in the near future, for all we know, that will be the norm. They will know when someone owes the IRS millions and is trying to flee the country
2.gif

Where are you traveling to?
Meh, if they thought it would help increase traveling safety, I'd have no problem with it. I got nothin' to hide
9.gif
Probably would be better than random checks, at least.

Traveling from Los Angeles to Illinois, heading home for our hometown wedding reception.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 3:43:25 PM
Author: musey

Meh, if they thought it would help increase traveling safety, I''d have no problem with it. I got nothin'' to hide
9.gif
Probably would be better than random checks, at least.

Traveling from Los Angeles to Illinois, heading home for our hometown wedding reception.
Unfortunetly, I have nothing exciting to hide either. My life is so boring. lol Possibly someone at my kids'' school will discover that I used the die-cut machine for personal use because I couldn''t resist making cut outs of turkeys for thanksgiving decorations. Then life would really pick up!

Hope you have a great reception celebration!
1.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Why does it take that long to get a new drivers license in CA? I changed my name at the social security office and went and got a new drivers license at the dmv the next day. I can''t imagine what they are doing to make it take that long for you! The passport can take longer but still...

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
They don't issue it right there, you fill out the paperwork & take a picture then they send your new one in the mail. NO idea why it takes so long. My first driver's license was made right on the spot (in IL).

When I got my CA license earlier this year, I thought the 60 day wait was an exaggeration... if anything, it was a minimum wait time
20.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
That is so weird! I guess there are some benefits to living in a small town in VA after all. Hope your trip goes smoothly!

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don''t know if you already got a definitive answer, but changing your name on everything/anything is ok, as long as you have your marriage cert. with you. My hubbie surprised me with a honeymoon to Europe 2 months after our wedding. Since is was 2 months after, I didn''t think about it-- every ID I had was under my new name, but he booked the trip before we were married (didn''t think about it)-- under my maiden name
Needless to say, its a good thing we live close to the airport and arrived early (had time to go home and get the cert.) -- I think they would have let me on with ANY ID under my maiden name.
So-- don''t hesitate to change your IDs-- just be sure to take the Certificate with you!
Hope that helps!
Happy travelling!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Legally, your maiden name is still your name and your married name is an assumed name. so there is nothing wrong with using identification with your maidan name until your documents have all been switched over. If you have your plane ticket in your maiden name and use your maiden-name passport, you will be fine. Bring along your marriage certificate to link the two sets of ID if by the time you travel any of your other documents have been switched over to your new name and you have to show multiple IDs with different names. I cross the Canada/US border all the time since I work in the US part-time, and when I changed my name there was a period when some ID said one thing, some said another, I was chaging my work visa blah blah blah and no one thought anything of it. As my friend told me, "It''s not like you are the first woman to change you name, this happens all the time!"
9.gif

I bet they will look at your passport and leave it at that, especially for domestic travel.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Yep... You just might have to bring your marriage license to show that you are who you say you are. Or, you could wait to change your name. Or, you can call the airline and ask what their policy is on that kind of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results