shape
carat
color
clarity

We''re Buying Our First Mezzuzah Together!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, everyone,

FI and I have been house hunting for several months now, and we''ve finally found a house that we both love, AND it''s in the ideal location for us. SO, to carry on a tradition that my parents started, we''re going out tonight to purchase our first mezzuzah* together. When my parents found their first home together, they went out and purchased their first mezzuzah because they wanted the home very much, and they figured G-d wouldn''t let them by a mezzuzah if he wasn''t going to let them make a home in the space they intended for it.

I''m very excited! This all just feels so right--the home, the mezzuzah, the timing. I''ll let you know how it goes, we''re going to put in an offer tomorrow.

*Some background on mezzuzot, from the Internet (http://www.steps2peace.com/Jewish_Mindfulness_Practice.html)
A mezzuzah is a small container made of wood, plastic or metal. Found inside on a piece of parchment are some of the most important words from the Jewish Torah. A mezzuzah is nailed to the doorpost of a Jewish home. It is customary to touch the mezzuzah on entering the house as a reminder of God''s presence there. Sometimes every doorpost in the house has one except the bathroom.

As a daily mindfulness practice, we can touch the mezzuzah as we stop and pause and take a breath-then we say to ourselves, entering this space (or leaving this space) I connect with divine energy. Or, we may like to stop and breathe and say, I enter this space to listen and to love.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Yay, that is really exciting, Haven!! Will you take pictures of it to share with us? Some are really beautiful.
1.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Grats Haven. I''m very happy for ya

I own an apartment in ny that I rent out. I had a mezzuzah on the front door.
I was told though, that if i''m renting it to non-jews I need to take it down. I never heard of this and refused to do it. (They however did). Do you know if this is true?

The apartment we live in now (have for years actually) doesn''t have it. My husband is Catholic and I''m actually half Jewish/Russian Orthodox. The mezzuzah debate has been going on for years!!. I want it, he''s uncomfortable.

I think they''re beautiful and again, congratulations for getting one
1.gif
(or two or three :)

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
That''s great, Haven! I can just imagine how content you must feel. What a lovely tradition!
Good for you and good luck with your offer!

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck with the offer! My parent''s had a mezzuzah on all their homes, and they are still happy and in love. I think it''s really special. I have yet to get one for our home, but will eventually.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How wonderful for you both! I have never heard of this before, but it sounds like a lovely tradition, congratulations!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

Haven congratulations!

Having a mezzuzah, I hear, can serve a number of functions. One...if nearby they''re looking for a minyan, (crowd of 10 men to make a prayer session kosher), and it''s dark outside...they might feel for doorposts to see if they find a mezzuzzah, and then knock on the door and invte the resident to participate...something you might not wish on a non-Jewish renter.

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
Awww... that''s an awesome tradition of getting your first mezzuzah together for your first house. Mazel Tov!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your kind words, everyone! It was a really special trip, there were so many mezzuzot to choose from and we found one that is just perfect for an outside door. There are many gorgeous ones with stained glass and sterling silver, but we weren''t sure they''d survive the elements, so we went with a pewter mezzuzah, and I love it.

I''ll take pictures of it and post them when I can find my digital camera. (I think I left it in my classroom at work.)

Ira--Don''t worry--we''re putting the mezzuzah on our future home together, not a home we''re renting out to someone else! We DO have mezzuzot on our current condos, which we will be renting out one day, but we''ll take them down when we move out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results