shape
carat
color
clarity

Dry Skin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
How do you combat it?

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Here is a good way to comprehend what works for us...We are organic beings. We are dry we need moisture. How do we obtain it? Usually we go to the store and grab these chemicals and petroleum based products lather ourselves in them as the advertising is pretty slick and smooth. And that is what we want to be...slick and smooth. Not dry and flaky.

But really what we need is something organic...like us. We need to search for oil that is recognized by our skin. What I mean is it isn't like trying to add oil to water. Your chemistry and a natural organic is similar. If you were a rubber tire-synthetic or petroleum based products would be best... We could use armor all and look really great.

So I hope you will change you minds thinking and go organic. I don't mean the way it was produced...I mean the actual chemical makeup of the potion....Here are a few other suggestions you can try.

¤ If you heat your home with gas heat add a humidifier.

¤ Take supplements of essential oils, flax, coconut, omegas etc. You can add other forms of these in your daily diet. Flax meal and seeds. Coconut oils...fish oils...vit E...nut oils in dressings etc. Add nuts to your diet too!

¤ Exfoliate often using brushes, loofahs etc.

¤ Avoid high heat showers and long hot showers...Try to lessen the heat. (hard to do when it is
32.gif
freezing...but it works)

¤ Switch to a non detergent soap...and use a natural cleanser so it doesn't dry you out. Some say Castile's are great...like coconut castile (organic in the coconut...see?).

¤ Replenish the surface with potions. Most potions are surface only. If you choose something more "organic" such as olive oil, sesame oil, coconut oils, avocado oils...you will obtain absorption. And not need to continue to slather man main stuff often.

If it contains petroleum products, you will get a surface relief...but it won't penetrate...just stays on top like whipped cream. Or armorall
32.gif

elsie

Shiny_Rock
Good tips, DKS!

I always make sure to moisturize as soon as I dry off from the shower (supposed to "lock in" the moisture). I use a cream-based moisturizer, Cetaphil Cream (which is supposed to be more effective than the lotion types).

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Oh I forgot to add a product suggestion. I use Wamart label Equate Sesame Body Oil but it is a knock off of Neutrogena here body oil.

While in the shower and the water is still on...I turn away and squirt the oil on my skin slather it around on wet skin it stays on...and doesn''t end up in the shower. Honest. Any hoo...when you get out you blot and not rub as the water just whisks away.

You can get whole sesame oil at the health food stores...I have found this one is lighter and works just as well (which is unusual.) It also leaves this dreamy aroma. Not to feminine or nutty...just yummy.

I use this year round. Especially in short weather. Makes your legs look much better after a shave. Hubby says creamy.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I like Avon''s moisture lotion....i don''t have the bottle in front of me so I forget the exact name, but it works very well. Also ditto on the humidifier. It does wonders for your body! Helps dh breath better at night too!

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Elmorton! I do a couple of things to keep dry skin at bay. In the winter I like Cetaphil moisturizing cream -- it''s thick, non-oily, fragrance free, and contains humectants to protect your skin from rough conditions. I also occasionally use a gentle alpha hydroxy lotion to keep my skin smooth, and I always use a gentle body wash. Good luck!

Dogmom

Shiny_Rock
My skin is terribly dry and I find that using AHA products on my face in the evening help gently exfoliate, then I add a good moisturizer. I really like all the cetephil products. I use their gentle cleanser, as well and swear by it. I do use vaseline intensive care lotion, which must work fine as BF says he can''t get enough of my soft skin
30.gif

DKS, you had some great suggestions that make SO much sense that I would like to give a try. I have a friend who SWEARS by flaxseed. She is a dog groomer and has her own show dogs, so her hands are constantly in hot water, yet are smooth as can be. Her complexion is gorgeous, as well. I believe she grinds the whole seeds and and eats them on cereal and in yogurt. I''m too lazy to go that route, but would like to know more about the oil caplets. What dosage do you recommend? Is there a certain brand you like? I''m going to give the sesame oil a shot, too! (You ROCK by the way - I love your sense of humor! I wish I were as clever, lol)

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
My skin is so dry, you can play poor kid games on it. (ya know, when you scratch out a tic-tac-toe game on your arm---cause you don''t have paper and crayons
5.gif
)

The only things that RECTIFY the situation (and not just temporarily mask it) are olive oil and sesame oil. (as a wise woman previously posted). I''ve found them both in a spray that works for me. I spritz it on after the shower and let it soak in for a couple minutes. I originally tried the dump and rub method, but I felt like I was going to slide out of bed (and I was using Flannel Sheets!!)

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Dogmom...I am so sorry
15.gif
I am late in a response to your inquiry. The thread fell below my view and I forgot to visit it again. (thank you for your kind words here and in my WW thread. I owe you a list of authors!!)

Your friend who grinds her flax seed is more active than I. I also have friends who only use what they freshly grind. I buy preground from the refrigerated section of my health food store...that is the next best thing. Our bodies don''t get as much benefit to the whole fax seed-so grinding is KEY. But I encourage you to choose flax any form any time you can. Bobs is a great brand...but don''t buy it if it is not refrigerated. The image on his website shows his products out on this regular isle. If a grocery is handling it the way they should...flax should be cold.

On your dosage...it really isn''t like medicine so the amount is personal preference. One thing to know ahead of time too much and it will just ZING right through. I mean
32.gif
everything. (laxative effect.) I have learned that when you are adding it to your diet it depends on your body weight, diet, and other factors as we are all different and respond differently. You might try a teaspoon of ground meal for a day. Then you can incorporate more and different forms through out the day as your body get used to it.

I got my Senior mom on it. She is like a man trying to kill weeds...when you are supposed to use a 1/4 teas and they just pour the whole bottle? I suppose I can be quite convincing, she thinks Flax is the fountain of youth...why start small, who has the time huh? She called me in 3 hours...and said..."WHOA! I got roto rooter-ed!" I said MOM..how much did you eat...Oh about 1/2 a cup! Now she has figured out her dosage. There are so many symptoms that she no longer notices...from bruising to continence to memory issues...and then of course the skin and hair.

We both also use UDOS oil. When you get the time please visit his site -that sentence is a link to his site. This is a combination of many great oils. It is available in a capsule...but we both take it by the liquid form. It is kept in refrigeration just like the counterpart...and you can just take it straight from a spoon if you wish-as it is yummy nutty flavor. Put it on bread or toast...drizzle it on salads. If you eat baked potatoes it will make you think it is high fat yellow butter! I make garlic bread and drizzle it on that or home made whole wheat croutons.

Flax is such a beneficial good fat. Our diets lack it today. So very important. WE are in a mind set to avoid fat...and in turn we are diseased, and premature aging and stunting the progress of our healthy long lives. Good fats are not just for dry skin...but a whole slew of other things. I could write forever on the benefits of Flax and good fats. I really hope you too will consider it! Best wishes...be in health.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Flax link

The flax council recommends that you not incorporate flax if you are on any medicine without consulting your physician.

Another reason I suppose I shouldn''t attempt to practice medicine...

Do all companies have to add that for legal purposes? I mean the ketchup bottle will eventually have that warning, won''t it? Do not attempt to consume this product without consulting your physician, especially if you are on any medications. Argh.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I''d been using Olay in-shower/Lubriderm dry skin lotion, but we''re almost out of both so I''m going to go get the cetaphil. DH uses cetaphil face wash b/c it''s always been dermatologist rec''d - good stuff.

LOL, DKS. I think the ketchup bottle probably DOES have a warning of some kind, yanno, something like "Packaging is not edible. Glass container may shatter and cause harm if dropped."

Somethingshiny, OMG - that is the PERFECT description for how my skin is right now. It''s like you don''t need a magnifying glass to see individual dead cells. Bleeeech.

For those of you who mentioned oil, how do you get it to not gum up your towels and/or clothes? I used to use baby oil after the shower and it was just too drippy and gross. I like the idea of the spray bottle - do you rub in or no?

Seriously...even one of my CATS has been having dry skin lately (he''s had it before - vet told me that it''s no biggie, just happens). Our house is drafty and the dry air...ugh. I''m sick of winter. Just sick of it. Thanks again for some ideas for fighting back!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
The spray I use is a very gentle mist. I put WAY too much on at first, so it takes a little patience. I spray it on after the shower (very fine mist, no rub necessary). And stand around naked while I do my hair. My skin absorbs most of it in that time. Then, I just "wipe down" a bit with the towel. There''s never much on it, but I''d rather it be on the towel than my jeans. The olive oil and sesame oil are MUCH lighter than baby oil. You could grease a truck with baby oil, but the sesame oil and olive oil is only enough to grease a baking sheet! (tee hee hee)

I bought some flax seed yesterday, haven''t figured exactly what I''m going to do with it, but will see how it goes.
1.gif

Dogmom

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info, DKS. I need an excuse to go to Whole Foods this weekend
3.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
If there are any Philosophy ladies out there, their Body Butters are wonderful. I LOVE Amazing Grace. They just came out with AG Body Butter. My skin is well hydrated, smooth and smells wonderful.

I also use Loccitane. That is another hydrating brand.

Linda

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
I use plain old mineral oil and I rub it on my legs and arms at the end of my shower before I get out. I''m a little slick for a couple of minutes, but it seems to do the job, esp. in this below 0 with wind chill kinda temps out here!
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results