shape
carat
color
clarity

Good signs! And a wee game for the LIWs...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
So in Ireland we have this tradition of eating 'barm breac' (or 'brack') at Hallowe'en. And the barm breac contains... dah dah daah... a ring! So the tradition is that if you get the slice with the ring in it, you'll be ENGAGED WITHIN THE YEAR!!!

Well this year my Mom sliced up virtually the whole barm breac until she found the ring and then sneakily made sure I got served that slice...
2.gif
And then in BF's house I had the last slice of breac and guess what was in there?!? I stuck it on my hand and it promptly got stuck, ha ha
5.gif

Add to this that the morning after his PhD viva BF woke up early and STARTED READING PRICESCOPE!!! And then he asked me to send him on links to any rings I see that I like. And he has started talking about how he can't wait to make me 'Mrs Smith' and that he's going to propose this year. It's full steam ahead over here ladies!

So those are my good signs, now the game. Shop bought barm breac only has a cheap little wire ring in it. Home made breac has a whole lot of stuff... anyone wanna guess what the objects all mean? They all relate to predictions for the eater's life. I'll give away the first couple and no cheating now and looking up Wikipedia...

A ring - you'll be engaged within a year!

A coin - you'll be rich!

A rag - ??

A stick - ??

A pea (or a thimble) - ??

Cute thing is that before BF and I were ever going out, he got a ring in a breac and carried it around in his pocket for MONTHS. Of course we were flirting like crazy those few months and I used to ask him about the ring and he used to tell me he was still looking for someone to give it to...
31.gif

BarmBrack.jpg

SparklyGirl*

Shiny_Rock
awww, that is really cute that your mother did that! Unfortunately i do not know what any of the other ones are. but it sounds like your dreams will be coming true soon! Hopefully sooner than you think!!
31.gif

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Ahh Delster! I am cheating a bit here as both my SO and I are Irish (though not so lucky to actually live in Ireland - we live near Boston but come from very Irish families). This was the first year that we did not have the traditional barm breac and I was rather sad about it. So...I''ll just give away ONE of the answers (which was always the slice I feared getting the most) THE PEA - Unlike its counterpart, the ring, the pea means you will not get married that year.

I am thrilled to hear your BF has started the ball rolling!!!!!!!! How exciting for you!!!!!!!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2007 9:21:50 AM
Author: Keepingthefaith21
Ahh Delster! I am cheating a bit here as both my SO and I are Irish (though not so lucky to actually live in Ireland - we live near Boston but come from very Irish families). This was the first year that we did not have the traditional barm breac and I was rather sad about it. So...I'll just give away ONE of the answers (which was always the slice I feared getting the most) THE PEA - Unlike its counterpart, the ring, the pea means you will not get married that year.

I am thrilled to hear your BF has started the ball rolling!!!!!!!! How exciting for you!!!!!!!

Yessee! The pea (or the thimble, depending on the breac!) means you will be a spinster. Now there's the hint that they're not all warm and fuzzy things to be on the receiving end of!
32.gif
My Nana used to go on about being a spinster as it if was the end of the world
20.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Hi Delster,

Congrats on the little ring! (Sneaky mother
31.gif
)

Good luck ring hunting!
36.gif

I hate the brack (shudder) but DH loves it so every year he buys one (to my protests - '' but they are so DRY'' . Despite this palava he always buys it and then gives me a tiny square of it ;the bit with the ring
19.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Steel do you ever toast it and smother it in butter?
3.gif
18.gif
Terrible for your heart but sure it''s only once a year!
2.gif

So any more takers on the breac knick-knacks? Come on ladies! Here''s what we have so far... (I''m flogging a dead horse amen''t it?
25.gif
)

A ring - you''ll be engaged within a year!

A coin - you''ll be rich!

A rag - ??

A stick - ??

A pea (or a thimble) - you''ll be a spinster / you won''t be engaged this year!

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I cheated and looked it up--I was no where near close, but I had figured they would all be nice things, and they aren''t (bit of a hint there). I thought the stick was really bad, but also sort of funny.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I will attempt it but I am sure I will be wrong :razz:

Date: 11/8/2007 2:43:09 PM
Author: Delster
Steel do you ever toast it and smother it in butter?
3.gif
18.gif
Terrible for your heart but sure it''s only once a year!
2.gif

So any more takers on the breac knick-knacks? Come on ladies! Here''s what we have so far... (I''m flogging a dead horse amen''t it?
25.gif
)

A ring - you''ll be engaged within a year!

A coin - you''ll be rich!

A rag - You will marry a poor man

A stick - You will be pregnant with naughty children who need beatings :razz:

A pea (or a thimble) - you''ll be a spinster / you won''t be engaged this year!

mirre

Shiny_Rock
I will not make a guess because I just HAD to know what the meanings were so I looked it up... and OMG!
6.gif

I''m glad that they pretty much only put the ring in the ones you get from stores!
2.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2007 9:51:47 AM
Author: mirre
I will not make a guess because I just HAD to know what the meanings were so I looked it up... and OMG!
6.gif

I''m glad that they pretty much only put the ring in the ones you get from stores!
2.gif

Ha ha!!! Hmmm, yeah the stick one is pretty nasty! I''ll just spill it cos it''s the only one left - if you get the stick it means your husband will beat you!
23.gif

Anyway for the lark here''s a pic of my TWO (count ''em!) barm breac rings!
9.gif

barmbreacrings.JPG

mirre

Shiny_Rock
Those rings look like they fit your finger pretty well!
2.gif

At least he''ll know how to figure out your ring size!
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results