shape
carat
color
clarity

DIY Veils?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beachbound

Rough_Rock
Is there anyone that has experience in making their own veils? I was thinking about buying a plain veil off of EBay and then adding the Swarovski crystals myself. Is it worth the effort, or should I just suck it up and go out and buy a real veil?
emotion-40.gif
Or... does anyone know where I can get a one tiered, shoulder length veil with the crystals? Any information would be greatly appreciated, as I am starting to get nervous!
32.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think it''s worth it. i made a veil with crystals for my friend''s wedding this past february and she was absolutely thrilled. the exact same veil cost $200 at the bridal shop and i made it with just under $20. if you don''t feel up to making the veil yourself, you can definitely get one off of ebay and add the crystals. very easy.

best of luck!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I think making it yourself is definitely worth trying. You can make a nicer quality veil for the same price as the ones you''d get on ebay and if you hate it, you can just eat the $20 or however much it costs you and buy the expensive veil.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
gingerBcookie made hers i think & it was beautiful!! she may have tips/info in her pro pic thread.

beachbound

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help!
4.gif
Belle, making my own veil sounds like the best bet, but I am definitely not very crafty!
emcrook.gif
I have looked high and low for something that I think would fit my dress and my style, but it seems impossible I can''t seem to find anything that I absolutely
30.gif
. And as Robbie said, if I screw it up, I can always go buy one! JCrow, I will definitely try to get in touch with Ginger, thanks for letting me know! I am definitely new here, so I have missed many threads. Thanks everyone for the help! I wouldn''t know what to do without all the helpful advice!
36.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
do you have access to a sewing machine bb? or do you know anyone who sews? it really is simple (very simple) to make a veil. it''s just one straight basting stitch. if you want to have ribbon on the edge, it''s a little more involved but a basic veil is very easy.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
Hey beachbound...

I guess it would depend on how crafty you are with working with material and attention to detail. Adding crystals to veil material can be tricky but doable. I made my own veil (since the dress wasn''t white), added on the border and then stitched on the tiny seed pearls. My veil was cheap. The material at JoAnne fabrics for about $5, the bias tape for the border was $2.99 and the package of seed pearls was $2.99

carlaian123.jpg

beachbound

Rough_Rock
Belle, I personally don''t own a sewing machine, but know a few people who do. I don''t know how crafty they would be in helping me out... I need a comb put in as I am wearing it underneath of my updo. That''s the part that makes me the most nervous. How do I go about doing that? With the Swarovski crystals, would I sew them or glue them? I will be packing my veil since we are getting married in Florida, so I was thinking I should probably have ribbon on the edges, just in case. I was originally looking to get the rattail edging, but if I do it myself, that''s far too complicated for me! Nytemist, that is a beautiful veil! That''s more or less what I am looking to do!!! Thanks for all the help ya''ll, I REALLY appreciate it!

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you very much bb!

It is alot more full than it looked in the picture. It wasn''t "fluffed out". It looked more complicated to do than it was. First I bought about 3 yards of fabric, pinned it down on a piece of cardboard, then cut one edge into a U shape. Next, instead of trying to sew the bias tape (the stitches show now matter how small, I didn''t like the way it looked on my test piece) I used slight amounts of fabric glue to put it on the chiffon. I let it completely dry for a day, then added the pearls. You can glue them on, just be real careful with the amount of fabric glue. Also since you are packing it and going somewhere warm, the glue can soften and the beads fall off. That happened with a few of my ballet costumes back in the day. I used a really fine needle and sewed the pearls. Finally, across the other unfinished edge I did a simple stitch so there would be that "drawstring" effect. Leave about 2 inches extra at that edge so you can then sew it into the teeth of the hair comb. I bought a simple wire comb at CVS.

It took me I think 4 or 5 days do it, with running around doing other stuff.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2007 12:14:59 PM
Author: beachbound

Belle, I personally don''t own a sewing machine, but know a few people who do. I don''t know how crafty they would be in helping me out...
great! if they could lend you a hand, or at least the sewing machine
31.gif
you''ll be good to go.

I need a comb put in as I am wearing it underneath of my updo. That''s the part that makes me the most nervous. How do I go about doing that?
no problem. they sell them at hobby lobby (there are other places that do too if you don''t have a hobby lobby). the only extra thing you might need is some fabric glue, or a glue gun (hot or cold) to add some extra ''holding power''. once you baste the fabric, you will cinch it all up so it fits on the comb. you can then glue it in place and then wrap string or ribbon through the teeth around the top of the comb to hold it all in place and make a nice finished edge.

With the Swarovski crystals, would I sew them or glue them?
i glued them. that is how they were applied with the original, so i didn''t want to change anything. i used a ''jewel'' glue that is made for gluing on crystals. you have to do a small section at a time to allow the glue to dry before you move on to the next area. once all of the crystals were in place and dry, i put another dot of glue on the back just to make sure they don''t move. they were very secure.

I will be packing my veil since we are getting married in Florida, so I was thinking I should probably have ribbon on the edges, just in case.
if you use tulle (usually used for veils) it won''t fray or unravel. you would be perfectly fine to leave a raw edge.

I was originally looking to get the rattail edging, but if I do it myself, that''s far too complicated for me!
yeah, working with the rattail is a little more challenging. if you don''t sew often, you might find it extremely frustrating. the good news is, you don''t *need* it.

i wish i would have taken pictures to help illustrate!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I made my own and glued on beads and crystals. It was perfect, and has held up to 6 years of being packed away, and I don''t think anything has fallen off. Making a veil is so simple, I don''t know how the bridal stores get away with charging so much!

beachbound

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much! You are all amazing and EXTREMELY helpful!!! You have eased my worries of making my own!! I don''t feel like a deer in headlights anymore! Belle, luckily I do have a Hobby Lobby and a Jo Ann Fabrics here, so hopefully between the two I will find everything that I need! I''m going after work to get all of the materials that I need. I can''t wait to start!!! I hope you all don''t mind, but I hope you will answer any additional questions I might have!
emwink.gif
Nymetist, thanks for giving me a step-by-step on what to do, I feel much better about doing this with instructions! I''m glad the rattail isn''t extremely important, I think it will look just fine without it. Mustang, hearing others that have made their own helps quite a bit!!! I''ll let you know how it goes!! Thank you all so much again for everything! You are all wonderful!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
how exciting!
35.gif

i totally had my head in the sewing machine clouds eariler though. you absolutely do not need one to make the veil. a needle and thread will work perfectly fine. again, all you need is a basting stich along the top. that is very easy with a needle and thread as well.
if you have any questions, just ask the ladies at jo ann. i have always found them to be SUPER helpful. of course, we are here to help too!!

looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
hi beachbound! i had a diy veil and it was super easy and saved a nice chunkachange. the whole thing cost ~$20ish buck and took less than an hour to do. caveat being that my veil was very very simple, raw edge single tier, cathedral length. you can see it here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gingerbs-prof-wedding-pics.49565/

i found the pattern online, bought material, needle, thread and metal comb at a fabric store and voila! i didn''t have crystals on my veil, but i used tham on netting when i was helping my SIL (she''s eight
5.gif
) make a butterfly canopy for her bedroom. we just put a dab of glue on the crystal, placed it gently on the material and let it dry. make sure you line the work surface so glue doenst get everywhere. the key was to let it dry very very well...at least overnight!

beachbound

Rough_Rock
Thanks again Belle! I went and bought all of my materials!!! I''m going to get started on it tomorrow! Thanks for helping me out, you''ve saved me a ton of money! Ginger, I don''t know if it''s just my computer, but you''re pictures on the thread aren''t showing up!
39.gif
JCrow told me to talk to you about it, thanks for replying! I wish my stupid computer would work....
38.gif
Anyway, I''m sure I will be on here tomorrow with more questions! Thanks for everything!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Hey beachbound, I saw this and thought of you!!

beachbound

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your help! Amber, that was really helpful, thanks! Well, I tried my hand at making it this weekend... It didn''t go as horribly as I expected!!! It actually looked really good until I went a little too glue crazy on my rhinestones... Now I have to make it all over again! Other than that, I think it came out really well! Thanks for everything! When I get done with the second go ''round, I''ll post pictures and want everyone to tell me what they think!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results