shape
carat
color
clarity

L.A Gals- Need Bikini Wax place recommendations!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
OK- This is probably TMI but I''m not shy!

Can you believe that I''m 34 years old and have never had a bikini wax??? And I live at the beach! Yes, I keep the area "neat", but have seriously been considering working my way up to a brazillian. I hate the "maintenance" schedule I have now, and figure that waxing would be easier. Afterall, I wax the brows & upper lip, so why not try the bikini??

I''ve asked a couple of my friends for recommendations, but thought I''d ask you wonderful gals. Honestly, I''m kinda obsessed about this, and am researching it to death. Wierd... I know!

Got a great place? PLEASE let me know!!

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I''m actually considering this too. I know its going to hurt like hell, but I think it''d be worth it. If not anytime soon, I''m at least going to suck it up and do it and my legs for my wedding/honeymoon just so its one less thing I have to be bothered with. Yeah, I''m not shy either.
2.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
try citysearch? never done it, myself

daisyblue

Rough_Rock
Cynthia at Pink Cheeks in Sherman Oaks is great. She was one of the first in LA to do brazillians. Just take a couple ibuprofen an hour before hand.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Okay if you are too shy for waxing there is any easy way to keep it bare without razr burn.
Trim whatever you have fairly short with eyebrow scissors
Exfoliate with a sugar scrub, I make my own with antibacterial body was and granulated sugar.
Using lotion shave the entire area in the direction of the growth.
Exfoliate the area again with your sugar scrub
Moisturize well
Exfoliate everyday, it is easier to avoid razor burn if you shave daily
Tips borrowed for another web site:
„X ¡± Get the hair soft before beginning.
„X ¡± Use the sharpest blade possible. Try to avoid using the same blade for more than two days.
„X ¡± Soak yourself in a bath or shave in the shower, where the steam can keep your hair soft.
„X ¡± Rinse first with hot water. Then with cold water to close all the pores.
„X ¡± Even though i like Dial, i don¡¦t recommend using a soap not intended for shaving purposes. A lubricated soap will help. A shaving oil will help even more.
„X ¡± Don''t go over the same spot over and over again¡Xtwice should be the max. If you miss something, hit it the next time.
„X ¡± Don¡¦t shave first thing in the morning. Chances are, your skin will be too soft. Wait a half hour.
„X ¡± Don¡¦t shave directly against the grain. Shave with the grain the first pass, and diagonally the second.
„X ¡± Always use running water to rinse the blade of the razor frequently.
„X ¡± And don''t forget to moisturize after.
„X Tend Skin Lotion works nicely

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I have already tried all of that and I still razor burn a lot. And shaving daily definitely doesn''t help, it just makes it worse and more painful for me.
7.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t razor burn, but the grow back one or two days later itches. I put Persa-Gel on it and I''m a-ok.

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Great advice ladies! It''s an ongoing problem for me as well!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2006 10:58:46 PM
Author: XChick03
I have already tried all of that and I still razor burn a lot. And shaving daily definitely doesn''t help, it just makes it worse and more painful for me.
7.gif
I used to, but now that I exfoliate before and after much better and I use lotion in the shower, and nothing scented! That kills!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I''m not from LA, but I started getting the Brazilian 1.5 years ago and I will *never* shave again. I go every 3-4 weeks and 3 seconds of pain is *so* worth the results. I get a good solid 10 days before any noticeable regrowth, and its much softer/finer when it does grow back. The first time will be painful, but if you tell your asthetician she will not do as much your first time so that you can adjust. Also once you find a good one stick with her.

My first woman was great, my second time she stood me up and I got a replacement that was not even half as good as she was, and well my third woman was the chram and is amazing.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve tried exfoliating and I tried using the Aveeno shaving stuff especially for razor burn and nothing helps. I tried to wax myself once, but I was having a hard time and only got one little section done. Its so weird though because this was like 6 months ago and the hair in that one little spot grows back like 3x slower than everything else.

Faerievert

Shiny_Rock
you can''t beat the results of the waxing. I tended to get irritated the first couple times I had a brazillian, but a little astringent on a cotton swab seemed to take care of that. You have to get a very experienced waxer though - my woman was fantastic - she could do a full brazillian in about 15 minutes (less time = less pain). Ask how many the waxer does a week before you book, you don''t want someone who only does them occasionally. It was the itching that made me stop shaving, but it doesn''t itch when it grows back from waxing, and it comes back way finer. I have no idea why. I haven''t had one done in about a year, but I''m going back in the week before the wedding. My first time I got a lot of red dots and stuff (capillaries breaking?) but it cleared up in a couple days, so don''t freak if that happens to you. And oddly enough, the front hurts a whole lot more than what you would think would be the more ''sensitive'' areas. So if they start at the front and work their way back it actually gets EASIER as they go, so why bother stopping at a standard bikini, just go the whole way. Sorry I don''t have any suggestions of people to go to.

hey, if you didn''t want to know, you wouldn''t have read this far through a thread on bikini waxes!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to get waxed too...and I hated it. My hair just seemed to grow back so fast! To see growth after only 10-14 days...I thought there had to be a better option.

A couple of years ago, I completed my laser treatment. I could not recommend this enough for the right candidate. By that I mean if you have fair skin and dark hair. I''m Korean so I fit the bill perfectly.

I think I started in late 2003. The treatments took about a year..I think I went 6 times (although I probably would have been fine with 5.) I went to an RN and paid about 125 per session at the time. You''ll find the prices are all over the map depending on what person you go to (technician vs RN vs Doctor).

Personally it hurt less than waxing. Also because you have less hair as you go along, it hurts less. I will admit, the first time was a bit much, but if you are already waxing, I really don''t think you''ll think it''s overly painful. The burning smell was more disconcerting.
23.gif
2 years later, it''s clean clean clean! I only pluck a random stray here and there every other month and the stray never seems to grow back. Yes, at a total of $750 bucks that sounds expensive, but since you pay as you go, it doesn''t seem so awful. I mean, I know lots of ladies who will spend more on a pair of shoes.

Any questions, let me know...I remember doing a ton of research back then..

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Hands down i''d have to say Pink Cheeks as well. Also, on the same street is a place called Pita Kitchen. It''s across the road from the 76. EAT THERE!!!! You will never regret it. Also, if you are in orange county, Spa Gregories in Newport Beach is a gem and a half for just about ANY beauty treatment you would want or need. Their Arcona facial rocks!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2006 1:17:16 PM
Author: TravelingGal
I used to get waxed too...and I hated it. My hair just seemed to grow back so fast! To see growth after only 10-14 days...I thought there had to be a better option.

A couple of years ago, I completed my laser treatment. I could not recommend this enough for the right candidate. By that I mean if you have fair skin and dark hair. I''m Korean so I fit the bill perfectly.

I think I started in late 2003. The treatments took about a year..I think I went 6 times (although I probably would have been fine with 5.) I went to an RN and paid about 125 per session at the time. You''ll find the prices are all over the map depending on what person you go to (technician vs RN vs Doctor).

Personally it hurt less than waxing. Also because you have less hair as you go along, it hurts less. I will admit, the first time was a bit much, but if you are already waxing, I really don''t think you''ll think it''s overly painful. The burning smell was more disconcerting.
23.gif
2 years later, it''s clean clean clean! I only pluck a random stray here and there every other month and the stray never seems to grow back. Yes, at a total of $750 bucks that sounds expensive, but since you pay as you go, it doesn''t seem so awful. I mean, I know lots of ladies who will spend more on a pair of shoes.

Any questions, let me know...I remember doing a ton of research back then..

I am going for my final (hopefully) laser treatment for my bikini/under arms area at the end of May. I agree that it is worth the pain/money. I have a laser hair removal thread under "health and family."

kittykat

Shiny_Rock
I go to Anastasia in BH and it happens very quickly. If you take a tylenol or advil an hour before, you hardly feel anything!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
WOW! THANKS much for all your recommendations & advice! Please keep them coming.

I''ve heard tons of great things about Pink Cheeks. May have to try them out...

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve only had one and it was at Trilogy Spa in Hermosa. It wasn''t THAT bad but I have nothing to compare it with.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Hey ladies,

Do you mind if I hijack for a sec? I just got my first Brazilian wax yesterday (probably not wise a mere 4 days before my wedding...) & woke up this morning to find a horrible rash of red bumps & white pimples in the affected area.
32.gif
(Not in the area I *thought* would be most sensitive, which is fine, but right front & center on top, if that makes sense) My only guess is that this rash was caused by the friction of clothing, etc. rubbing against the newly waxed area.

The spa gave me a little sample of Tend Skin, which I forgot to apply last night, but did apply this morning. The area looks slightly less swollen, but still has red dots all over & feels very irritated.

Does anyone have any suggestions to make this situation better? I''m afraid I''m going to be miserable on the beach & in the salt water in Jamaica. This is not what I''d intended for my wedding/honeymoon time.
15.gif

Thanks for your help.

Faerievert

Shiny_Rock
that''s happened to me too, and it faded in a couple days, so you''ll probably be fine by the honeymoon. Use the stuff they gave you (if you''d put it on shortly after the waxing you probably would have been A LOT better off), and apply astringent (like you''d use on your face) 2-3x per day. It gets rid of the pimpley looking things and helped my red spots go away faster. There''ll still be some red spots from broken capilaries for like a week, but the actual irritation should be gone in about 2 days if you treat it.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Faerievert, thanks so much! I read your post above & hoped you''d reply to my cry for help!
2.gif
I was really surprised about the irritation in an unexpected place.
14.gif

I''m so mad at myself for forgetting to use the Tend Skin last night. But now I have a plan of action--hopefully it''ll get better soon. I leave for Jamaica at 9:30am tomorrow.

Thanks again for your great advice.
1.gif

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Brightspot- I got my first Brazillian yesterday too! I was meaning to update the post.

So far, so good. I did have a bit of redness and swelling, but that was it. My gal did tell me to begin exfolliating the area ever so gently in a few days.
Here's more info straight from her website (sorry it's long):

Bikini Line Care
After a Brazilian Bikini Wax, it’s pretty important to start looking after your bikini line area. Here are some basics, and just so you know, I’m not a dermatologist; I’m just speaking from experience and trial and error:

1. No heavy creams or oils
It makes sense that when you pull a hair out of its follicle, there’s going to be a miniscule hole where the hair used to belong. My personal belief is that when you apply product to that area, the follicle gets jammed up resulting in unwanted ingrown hair and blocked follicles. A blocked follicle looks like a black head. If you experience this, buy yourself some exfoliating mitts from a pharmacy or beauty supply (you should be doing this regardless) and start to exfoliate EVER SO LIGHTLY in a gentle, circular motion. I would also recommend exfoliating the night before a wax; it gets rid of any dead skin cells etc. Don’t exfoliate after a wax, wait at least 3 to 4 days.

Product Recommended: Desert Essence “Thoroughly Clean Facial Wash”. Get it from Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, costs about $4.99.

2. Ingrown hairs
Yuck! We hate them, we pick them and stick things in them, and still they remain, and sometimes they have the nerve to multiply! Why? I don’t know, but I am going to attempt to explain how to prevent them and how to treat them if you get them. I’ve noticed that there are certain people who are more prone to ingrown hairs – like, for example, ME! I have thick and curly hair. When my hair grows back, it doesn’t grow back to the surface straight, it grows back in a hook/curl. So when it gets to the surface, it sometimes doesn’t break through. You can see these hairs through your skin, they are just beneath the surface and OH SO tempting to pick. I’ve had success with exfoliation (not with a product, but with mitts) and the facial wash that I have recommended above. Don’t use salt scrubs etc., as I find these to be too abrasive and perfumed. These things just irritate the situation and once again, plug up your follicles. So, if you have thick, curly or coarse hair; sorry, you are just more susceptible.

I’ve also noticed clients with ingrown problems along the side and top of their bikini lines. I think wearing tight underwear or jeans irritates the skin, or pushes down on your skin, inhibiting the proper growth of your hair. I know that sounds wacky, but just imagine a fine hair trying to grow back after a wax and is being pushed back by your fashionable new knickers or pants. Not good.

Treat your bikini line skin like the skin on your face. It’s a delicate area and should not be ignored.

Product recommended: Desert Essence Blemish Stick or Burt’s Bees Blemish. Get them at Trader Joe' s or Whole Foods. Warm compresses will also help bring up the hair.

If you are a naughty pimple picker then there is not much help I can send your way. Yes, I know it is satisfying and addictive, I sometimes indulge myself, however, the horrid results of you trying to dig out that pesky ingrown are plentiful. You can end up permanently scarring your skin. I’ve seen clients with awful scars. In the trade, we call them “ice pick” scars. When you push down on an ingrown or red bump, you may see something come out of the top of it. Thinking you have solved it, you wake up the next day only to see another two have popped up. (This will happen on your face too). The problem is that the pushing, forces sebum (oil) and other debris to push out of the follicle through the bottom, rupturing it and causing an infection, which kindly spreads to other follicles. DON’T PICK!!!!

You can also use rubbing alcohol. Just dab it onto the area 3 to 4 times a day. It will dry the bump out.

3. Cleaning your Bikini Area
Very simple. Light exfoliation with your loofah mitts on a daily or nightly basis with squirt of the cleanser and you should be on your way to a glowing, soft as a baby’s bum bikini line. I sometimes use witch hazel on my bikini line; it cleans out any blocked follicles.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results