shape
carat
color
clarity

*relieved sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
So I talked to my mom tonight at dinner. I didn''t quite know how to break the ice, so I asked her how it happened when she and my dad decided to get engaged and married 31½ years ago. She told me, then asked why I wanted to know. So I told her everything. How we''ve been talking about this for a while, that he''ll be proposing before the New Year, that we went ring shopping last weekend and are hoping to have it made, and that we''re thinking about getting married when I graduate.

She reacted soooo much better than I feared she would... She got that "mothers-know-everything" look and said she''d been expecting it. We had a tough patch in our relationship a little over a year ago, but since we cleared that up, things have been going so well we can''t imagine not having each other in our lives. She said she''s seen us through our ups and downs in the last three years we''ve know each other, and sees how much our relationship helps us learn and become better persons and how happy we make each other. She said that as long as we accept each other with our faults and know that marrying each other won''t change those faults, she is happy for us. She''s very relieved that we''re waiting until I graduate because she knows it would be harder for me without their financial support and she wants what''s best for me, but I feel that she wouldn''t have stopped us if we decided to marry next year or something. Even though my mother married young and rather quickly (1 year of dating, 9 months engagement and she was 19) and left school to marry my dad, I was a little worried she''d give me the "why rush" speech. But I think she remembers what it''s like and she understands. She said she doesn''t really understand long engagement (not to judge us, just to give her opinion) and I explained to her we were planning on a two-year engagement, but my decision to transfer delays my graduation for another year and we decided to not change our engagement plans.

We talked a little about rings and weddings. She said that if we wanted an 80 guests wedding, we could do one, which is a big relief for me. She said that something we can do is invite immediate family and close friends to the ceremony and dinner, and extend the invitations to more people for the party after the seated dinner. Has anyone heard of/done this? It seems a little wierd to me, but I have a lot of time to worry about that!
2.gif
I just want a small wedding, and even though I love the idea, it''d make me sad to hurt my family if we eloped.

I also told her J intends to ask for her and dad''s blessing and I wanted to talk to them first so it didn''t come as too much of a shock. She was a bit surprised and said she''ll talk to my dad. I''m wondering if she just did!!

Thanks for your support everyone!! And yes, I''ll keep you posted on the ring progress...
2.gif

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
that''s great anchor!. I am sure you feel so much better and it is great to know you have their "pre-blessing"!!!

I have heard of inviting people for drinks after the rehearsal dinner, never for the wedding....but I haven''t been to many weddings so this might actually be pretty common.

1.gif

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
That''s wonderful, anchor. You must feel so much better knowing that she supports you in this.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
That''s so great that everything is working out!
36.gif
My mom took the news when I first broke it to her pretty well actually.

And you definitely better keep us updated hehe
2.gif

snogirl17

Shiny_Rock
Hello, I am not sure where you are located, but in the midwest, it is pretty common to only be invited to the dance and not the dinner.

However usually the invitations will have the wedding date and time and place, then given a dance card telling them when and where, but i have been to many weddings where there will only be about 100-150 people for the dinner, and then once that ends, about 100 more people show up for the dance.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Congradulations! I am so happy for you! I have heard of the opposite or maybe I''m hallucinating. Hmmm not sure but I know that some people don''t always invite everyone to both parts. Good luck!

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Oh yay, I am so happy for you!!! That is wonderful news, and I''m so glad you can just enjoy all your planning now without that hanging over you! Now GO GET THAT RING MADE!
9.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone! It feels great to no longer be keeping this secret, I hate keeping secrets from my mom. Especially since she has a killer mom''s intuition and you can''t put anything past her anyway...
2.gif
I''m so relieved and I''m feeling very giddy today!

beanie - I''m in Québec, Canada. I think it''s a very good idea to do it this way. We could have around 80 people at the garden ceremony and dinner, then if others want to come for the dance, they''ll be welcome. Anyway, I''ve got three years to worry about it. But I betcha they''ll fly!! The three years I''ve known J have...
5.gif

jldunn

Rough_Rock
That''s awesome Anchor! I''m so happy for you.

I wish I was so lucky, my future mother in law hates me.

Cailet

Shiny_Rock
anchor that is great news! I bet you feel SOOO much better!! I'm glad I won't really have to "break" it to either of our families - they pretty much treat us like we are married already anyway so I don't think it will be a big shock to them. It's so cool that your mom had a good reaction!!!!

As for partial invites - I have heard of people being invited to the reception and not the church. I think if you were going to invite some people to the church, dinner and dance and some people only to the dance you would want to be careful how you do it. I don't see anything wrong with it - and if you do it right you will get to have a huge party on the dance floor and still get to have the kind of wedding/dinner you would like.

I've thought of doing something similar and had mentioned it to a couple of people to see what reactions would be -- some of my friends thought it was a good idea - and some thought it would come across as me inviting people to the dance just to get more gifts -- so I think you would have to tread carefully with who you invite to the dance only and HOW you invite them. I think if we did it this way I would probably say something saying how the church was small and we couldn't invite them all but we would still like them to celebrate with us for the dance - and then something say how the only gift they should bring is themselves? So they get the point that we just wanted to include them to celebrate and not for the hope of a good gift? Of course you would have to think of some cute little saying to make it sound nicer (and I'm sure you could find one on the knot?).

Of course I live in the Midwest and you are in Canada if I remember correctly? So maybe there are differences up there and people won't care at all!!! [Ooops - you posted while I was typing - so yeah DUH Canada!! LOL]

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Anchor, so glad that went well for you. One less thing to worry about! Now, you get to focus on all the fun stuff.
emsmile.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
jldunn - I'm sorry to hear that... My boyfriend's mother likes me, but his dad's a jerk and doesn't care for me at all. I'm not sure he cares about nothing but himself and money, but I don't want to get into that. My mom likes J, and I think my dad does too. It's hard to tell because my dad's the silent type that doesn't say much and won't ever tell you how he feels, but I've seen how he acted around some girls my brother would take home and he didn't like, so I think it's safe to say that he likes him. J also has a formation in carpentry so he's been helping my dad with home improvement projects, and I'm sure that helps!!

Cailet - Yup, I'm Canadian. I'm sure we'll work out something, and now I know my mom'll help!
2.gif
It feels so wonderful to know I have everyone's support!!

Amy - Exactly. Now that I don't have to worry about this, I can sit back, relax, and have fun!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Anchor!!
36.gif

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
Anchor, I''m glad to know that things went well with your talk! What a relief!!
5.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anchor, that is great news. So glad she took it well. Now you can relax a bit and have fun, knowing you have her blessing.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results