shape
carat
color
clarity

Massages - Help!

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
I have a couple questions for those of you who have gotten professional massages before. My FI and I were given a gift certificate for massages last christmas and we just got around to booking them before the gift certificate expires. Neither of us have been before and we're a bit nervous. So...

1. Do you have a same sex or opposite sex person give your massage? Same answer if it's a couples massage in the same room?

2. What do you wear?! The receptionist wasn't particularly helpful. She said to wear whatever we're comfortable in and they'll give us robes. To be honest, we'd be most comfortable in full street clothes but I don't think that will work. So what do you wear?

3. Do you get bored? Should we bring a book? The massages are scheduled for 50 minutes. We're so used to go, go, going...that 50 minutes seems like a long time to just sit there. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
The last massage I got, I was asked to remove my clothes (in private) and then get under a sheet on the massage table. It's very private, and nothing to be nervous about. My massage therapist was female, but she was also the only one that works there. You probably will not be able to read a book during. Just relax, and enjoy it :)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey, Lucy! The husband and I did a couples massage last year: I don't know if it's a universal experience, but hopefully it'll be a good baseline.

We were in the same room, on adjacent tables: both of our masseuses were female (neither of us had a preference, though I'm guessing a large salon could accommodate you if you did). We came in dressed in normal street clothes, changed into robes, and stripped down to our skivvies before the masseuses came in, lying on the tables and covering ourselves with towels for modesty (and warmth - even in a heated room, the temp. change can be jarring at this time of year), which the masseuses arranged as necessary. I didn't get bored at all - it was very interesting to concentrate on the purely physical for a change! - but if you have a short attention span, I'd suggest an iPod or something before a book (perching on your elbows will tense your back, which will probably remove some of the benefits). They had a nifty little shower in the room to wash off the oil afterward: all in all, it was a very soothing experience!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Oooo! I LOVE massages! I've only had 3 professional ones...but here's hoping I can help a little (going under the assumption that with a 50 minute time, these are full-body table massages):

1) All of my massages have been by a female, but I have never put in a particular request either way. If you would prefer one way or the other, go ahead and make the request and I'm sure they'll accommodate you.

2) When I'm on the massage table I don't wear anything except the sheet I'm covered with. If you are clothed, the masseuse will not have the opportunity to use the relaxing oils or lotions and you will not get all the benefits, as the presence of fabric between your skin and their hands may be abrasive and do more harm than good. You are completely covered on the table, so there's nothing to worry about. Also, you'll generally receive a questionaire before the massage asking what areas are okay to massage and what areas are not (like lower vs. upper leg vs. glutes).

3) Regardless of the length of the massage, I close my eyes and just enjoy the experience. I couldn't imagine reading or doing anything during a massage other than breathing. Often the masseuse will play relaxing music and may chat with you pleasantly if you're looking for that...I'm sure you can chat with your husband since you will be in the same room for a couples massage...but doing anything other than laying there will tense the exact muscles they're trying to relax.

HTH!

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I always leave my underwear on. Sometimes I wear the boyshort type for a bit more coverage. I usually go to a male masseuse but have been to a female as well. Both were attentive to keeping me covered for modesty. In general, I started laying on my stomach (I undressed and got under the sheet before they came in. He would uncover whichever part he was massaging, while keeping the rest of me covered (so roll the sheet down to my waist, my arms were at my side to cover side boob, then sheet back up to neck, one leg out at a time, with the sheet tucked tightly around my thigh). He held up the sheet so I could roll onto my back (he was hidden behind it so he couldn't see me) and then covered me up--the sheet stayed over my chest.
If you're really uncomfortable naked, I'd go with boy short type things on the bottom. You could do a sports bra if you really felt like you had to, but I'd try to skip it--the back massage is the best part and you don't want something in the way.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
lucyandroger|1292262085|2795689 said:
I have a couple questions for those of you who have gotten professional massages before. My FI and I were given a gift certificate for massages last christmas and we just got around to booking them before the gift certificate expires. Neither of us have been before and we're a bit nervous. So...

1. Do you have a same sex or opposite sex person give your massage? Same answer if it's a couples massage in the same room?

2. What do you wear?! The receptionist wasn't particularly helpful. She said to wear whatever we're comfortable in and they'll give us robes. To be honest, we'd be most comfortable in full street clothes but I don't think that will work. So what do you wear?

3. Do you get bored? Should we bring a book? The massages are scheduled for 50 minutes. We're so used to go, go, going...that 50 minutes seems like a long time to just sit there. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

Most people seem to be more comfortable with women.

I wear nothing but my underwear when getting a massage. I used to go nude, but prefer wearing underwear. You can't wear a bra or anything...would get in the way of the back massage! They will put all private bits under a sheet.

I don't get bored...I relax and doze in and out. If it's a full body massage, you'll be face down on a table with your head on top of a donut like head support...you really won't be able to read.

ETA, was too slow typing this, but will submit it anyway.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your responses! These are so helpful! One more question: How much do you tip?

manderz - Thanks for sharing your experience! I will try to just relax!

Circe - Hey there! Thanks for your account of a couples massage. The salon gave us the choice of male or female masseuses but I hadn't expected the question so I was flustered. I ended up booking one male and one female but I can call and change it if I want. I guess I didn't realize it until I was actually booking the appointment, but the idea of any stranger touching all over body is kind of creeping me out. lol I bet once it gets started, I'll just relax and forget about the awkwardness. I like your description of focusing on the physical.

vc10um - Thanks for responding! Okay not wearing clothes makes sense. We are going to want the full experience of the oils and such! I think I am going to keep my undies on though. I'm not that brave even if I am covered with a towel or sheet! Thanks for mentioning the questionnaire - that makes a lot of sense. I wonder if this salon will have one...I don't know why I didn't think of talking to pass the time?! :cheeky:

laine - Thanks for describing how you flip over! I was really wondering about that! I think I'm going to wear underwear as well. Skipping the bra does make sense and as you mentioned my arms will cover the side boob. :cheeky:

TravelingGal - Thanks for chiming in! It does seem like people are more comfortable with women. I'm thinking of switching our appointment to 2 women. It seems underwear with no bra is the standard - I guess I'll have to get over my prudishness and just relax!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Just a warning - massages are highly addictive. One rubdown and you'll never be able to go back to a world before you knew the greatness of the massage.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

I'm more comfortable with a female and my fiance also wanted a female. They were both very very good. He said it would feel strange having a male massage him. I would feel the same for some reason.

We wore our street clothes. They do give your robes so what you wear really does not make any difference whatsoever, IMO.

Bored? NO. You'll be too busy enjoying the massage and state of relaxation you're going to be in. We both had hour massages and we didn't want it to end. No boredom there, at all. SO thought it was going to 'boring' because he is very 'go go go' but nope, he wasn't bored even a bit. I'm jealous, by the way. I'd kill for a nice hour massage right now. You'll love it. I tip 20%.

MisterGypsy

Rough_Rock
lucyandroger|1292262085|2795689 said:

Thanks for your help!

I went quite often before surgery, to keep my muscles loose.

It really is about whatever you're comfortable with. You're "draped" with a sheet, and as long as it is a reputable place, they're very respectful.

They wait until you're undressed and set before they enter. They will always knock, and not enter until you say you're ready.

As for bored? No. Just close your eyes and relax. Don't feel the need to be social. They're used to quiet sessions. I rarely say a word.

You're going to be addicted. Have fun!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I totally understand where you're coming from with the modesty part. I've gained some weight, and I'm really not comfortable with myself anymore, but the minute I got in there, I was set perfectly at ease. It's so private, and they will be so respectful of your modesty. It's honestly much more comfortable for me than even a routine doctor's appointment.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1292270779|2795809 said:
Just a warning - massages are highly addictive. One rubdown and you'll never be able to go back to a world before you knew the greatness of the massage.

WORD. And I'm so strung out right now!

I have been on the receiving end of many professional massages, by both male and female therapists, in individual and couples settings. In general you can request a male or female therapist, and it's a matter of personal preference. My husband preferred female only during our couples massage (latent homophobia associated with a particular Seinfeld episode, I guess). I'm fine either way. Clothes don't matter, because you will be asked to take off your clothes in a private setting (the therapist will leave the room so you can disrobe and climb onto the table underneath a sheet), and you can keep your underwear on but should remove your bra. But you should probably wear something that's not your Sunday best, because you'll be a bit oily when you're done. When the massage starts, feel free to ask the therapist to adjust the pressure level. Also, like manicurists and hairstylists, some therapists will be chatty and others won't. I personally don't care if I talk or not throughout my massage, as long as it's a good massage either way! As for boredom, I'm pretty ADHD-ish, and I'm never bored during a massage. Just let your body and mind relax, and the 50 minutes will go by like nothing.

Don't worry about body image issues...massage therapists are like doctors; they've seen everything! Once the massage starts, you won't care anyway.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
sounds to me like they got you a really good gift! Sounds like you could use the experience :)

the goal is total relaxation, so if it doesn't feel comfortable, don't do it... but remember, the massage will be better the more you go with the flow and do the things that facilitate it. You shouldn't get bored and if you do then maybe it's a good exercise on being alone with your own thoughts. The physical sensations should be enough to keep you stimulated, and if you find yourself getting drowsy that's okay too. Bringing something to mentally stimulate would distract from the physical experience you're having. If something makes you uncomfortable you are not obligated, but the suggestions they give you like taking your clothes off, will give you a greater experience.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
I am a spa junkie. I go for a 60-minute full body massage at least once a month. Believe me, you will not be bored! You'd be surprised how quickly it goes. No matter how many times I've done it, I always feel like it goes too quick!

Not much I can say that other haven't. I too, always have a female, because I am more comfortable with that. I always go naked, but that's because due to muscle tightness (from lack of working out because of hip/back injury), I have my glutes massaged. You can definitely leave your underwear on, however it will prohibit some things (how low on the back they can go, massaging glutes/upper thigh, etc.) However, if you feel uncomfortable with having those areas massaged anyway, then leaving your underwear on wont make much of a difference.

They should have sheets like others have said (its actually usually several sheets), and they have very strategic ways of folding them and moving them to keep you covered while massaging a specific area. However, I should point out that I have been to places that only use a single bath towel just over my butt, and that's it. I'm not a modest person, so it doesn't bother me, but if you see that's all they have, you may want to ask for an alternative.

One thing I can say that I haven't seen anyone else mention yet is attire. While they do give you a robe, and you're unclothed during the massage anyway, what you wear to and from the appointment matters. You should wear loose fitting clothing. It will help your muscles stay relaxed after the massage (think gym clothes, sweat outfit, flipflops/sneakers) and not undo the work you just had done. Also, a lot of the oils they use during the massage are really good for your skin. So while you can shower afterward, its beneficial not to, so throwing on some cotton/loose clothes would be better than putting on jeans! I am surprised the person you booked the appointment with didnt tell you that.

Also, some other tips: shave the night before. Some of the scrubs/oils/etc can irritate just shaven legs, don't put make up on...a lot of times they will massage your face, drink plenty of water afterward, and #1 thing is to communicate with the massage therapist. If something hurts, you want more or less pressure, are uncomfortable, etc, *SAY SOMETHING*. If you don't say anything, they will assume the pressure is fine. And believe me, if you've never had a massage before, starting with a deep tissue massage might be a little much! ;))

Hope this helps!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
To add to NakedFinger's tips, make sure you are well hydrated before you go, and drink plenty of water after the massage. It will set free some of the toxins hiding in your tight muscles, so you need to make sure they get washed out of your body. The one time I forgot to heed this advice, I ended up with a pretty wicked headache the next day and all the relaxation went *poof.* Definitely not what you want to have happen!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot! My therapist mentioned you should pee before and after, and it's totally normal for you to feel like you need to after a massage.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
You guys are awesome!!! I am reading all your replies. Will try to respond individually tonight but just wanted to give a huge THANK YOU to everyone for sharing your experiences and tips!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results