shape
carat
color
clarity

NYC proposal ideas...

Smoothie

Rough_Rock
I have read a few of the other NYC proposal ideas, but wanted to share my story!
It will be our first time to NYC, and we have been looking forward to this trip for a while. We are going the first weekend of Sept. I'd like to surprise her as much as possible, and not have it too planned as she will suspect something as this will be a touristy trip, we don't really have a set agenda of when and where we will be.

I was thinking of doing in in Central Park, either for a picnic lunch, or right after a carriage ride. We did get the City Pass, http://www.citypass.com/new-york, so we will visit the Empire State building and Top of the Rock as well as a museum or two during our 5 day trip. I would like to do it as privately as possible, not infront of a ton of other people. Would this be possible at the Empire State building or at Rockefeller Center? Is one 'better' than the other? Last option would be sometime of proposal at dinner, having a server bring the ring box on a platter before desert.

Any recommendations on the above, or other suggestions?

speechie

Rough_Rock
A proposal at the Cloisters could be secluded and romantic. It is a great place for photos too! My other suggestion would be to take the Ellis Island/ Statue of LIberty ferry ride and propose during that trip. The museum and grounds at Ellis Island have plenty of areas for a private, yet romantic moment.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
People always forget about Brooklyn! :wink2:
The Botanical Gardens are just GORGEOUS and if it wouldn't totally clue her in, I'd go there.
Another garden: Staten Island Botanical Garden
Then if you two are into kitchy and cute, there's the subway museum, or any museum for that matter. Or perhaps a different type of history-- the Cyclone in Astroland. Oldest rollercoaster in the US, or perhaps if you aren't the wooden-rollercoaster-riding-type, there's the Ferris wheel!
Central Park isn't the only park either, there's Prospect Park, where (i'm not sure if CP has this) you can take a self-paddling boat ride (so cute!)
Yankee stadium if you're baseball fans.
Top of any building. If you're still looking for a place to stay, the Desmond Tutu Center is BEAUTIFUL! Perhaps not your style, but definitely gorgeous (IMO). And even if you don't stay there, I would still visit (google search for more info).
The Brooklyn Bridge!
I adore your server+before dessert idea! Though I'm not quite sure how much I'd trust them, just saying.

Hope these help.

Congratulations, good luck, and have fun in NYC!!

mr_protege

Rough_Rock
i would second the cloisters as a private, secluded place to propose. there's also a rooftop at the met. or you could pretty much pick any fine restaurant here to do it - with the market the way it is, we've had a lot of luck getting tables at a few of the really upscale restaurants. maybe even just take her for a walk through some nice neighborhoods like the west village.

if you don't mind having people around, i actually just proposed to my gf at the brooklyn bridge last saturday. it wasn't too crowded (did it on the platform closer to brooklyn) and it ended up being perfect. but with that said, any place you choose in this city is sure to be perfect.

good luck!

jthompson

Rough_Rock
Central park. One of my favorite places in Manhattan.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results