shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Gift for the Groom

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I'm just wondering how many of us are doing gifts for our grooms and if so, what are you getting him? Is he getting you something? Are you surprising him or does he know what you'd likely get him? When are you giving it to him?

ETA: If you're already married, what did you get your groom and what did he get you?

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
FI and I both like to get each other gifts. I know he''s been eyeing an iPad, so my PLAN is to put one in a nice leather messenger bag he can use for work. Right now he just uses a cheapy laptop bag everyday so I wanted to get him a nicer one. Nothing too outrageous, just something in the $100-$200 range.

I''m a huge procrastinator and I didn''t order the iPad until a few days ago and it looks like it might not make it in time for the wedding! (7/3/10). If it''s not here, I''ll just put a picture of it in the bag and he''ll get the idea though I''m REALLY hoping it will be here before we leave for the honeymoon so we don''t have to lug my laptop around.

I know he''s getting me something but I''m not 100% sure yet. If I had to guess, I''d say it''s jewelry.

I''m going to have my sister take it over to his suite as we''re getting ready for the wedding. I''d love to see his reaction, but I like the idea of giving gifts before we''ve seen each other. I''m sure I''ll write something mushy in a card too.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
I got him an aged bottle of Sam Adams Utopia. He has been wanting to try it, and I read that the older it is the better, so I got it. Cost about $300, but he's decided to have a brandy snifter every year on our anniversary!

He got me a beautiful white and yellow gold and diamond celtic necklace that I wore on my wedding day. :)

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Who hasn''t been eyeing the ipad?!?!!? What a great gift!!!!

DH had a pair of pearl earrings made for me that I wore on the day of the wedding. He also had an photobook made. They were both pleasant surprises!
1.gif

I had planned to buy DH a new kiteboard (for him to use on our honeymoon) but I didn''t want to go and buy it on my own because I knew he could get a better deal than I could. So, I got him an awesome card with a cow on it that said "You''re useful and delicious" and let him know that a kiteboard was on its way. We ended up going to purchase it the next weekend and he got an AMAZING deal, plus a few other accessories.

Both of our gifts were exchanged in the morning/early afternoon of our wedding day. One of the groomsment dropped off my gift while we were out getting our hair done and I handed my card to the Best Man the night before at our rehearsal dinner.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
The wedding present I told my husband to get me (
11.gif
) was the round Tiffany inital pendant with my new last initial on it. In all seriousness, we went to the Tiffany store together a couple of days before we got married, and our finances were already joined so it was my wedding gift from both of us, I guess, right? My husband didn't want anything .. he kept saying I was gift enough
30.gif

ETA: It was really just an excuse to score my first Tiffany piece. There's no shame in my game! haha

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
This (not an "A" though).

25875036_M_OVER.jpg

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
We decided not to exchange gifts. We both splurged on our rings, and felt those plus our honeymoon were a hit enough on our bank account. However I found out from a friend until we had that talk, he had been pricing out some BGD diamond hoops! Luckily he''s a smart man and he said there are many anniversaries and push presents ahead.
36.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I surprised DH with an album of boudoir pictures and he surprised me with a set of diamond studs.

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
I bought my husband a camera that he really wanted. He bought me a beautiful blue topaz and diamond ring (his birthstone). We gave them to each other on our wedding day- he gave my gift to my mom to give to me, and I told his best man to give his to him. Neither of us knew what the other one got for the other. We also wrote each other love letters, which was really the best.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn''t get a gift for my DH, but I gave him a mushy "for my groom" card. He surprised me though, DH gave me a sweet card with a handwritten letter inside, and a BEAUTIFUL Lladro bride and groom figurine:

Lladrogift.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm saving up for a bowflex for FI.

Romantic, huh? But he really wants the thing, so...
5.gif

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I don''t even know!
But I do want to get something for FI - somethign that I can pack easily and get into Mexico without much hassle.

I have always wanted to get him a Rolex (or even a good fake Rolex) but he would seriously kill me for spendign that kind of money on even a good fakle.....and its totally not in the budget right now, so I need a plan B!!!!

Hmmmm...

I think I like the iPAD idea too!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and i exchanged gifts but we hadn''t agreed on that! We hadn''t discussed it at all actually! But we both got a gift for each other as a surprise without revealing it! So the night before our wedding he presented the famous blue box with a Tiffany Notes ring in 18ct yellow gold! He had engraved on the inside of the ring: LLD for: "Doctor of Laws", since i had just finished my PhD in Law one month before the wedding! I had a pair of 18ct white gold cufflinks custom made for him, with his initials in greek letters! So when he presented the blue box, being certain that he will take me completely by surprise, i presented my own black box with the cufflinks, he, he, he
27.gif

Unfortunately i don''t have a pic of the cufflinks but i am attaching pics of my ring!

swan ring56.jpg

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With my wedding band!

swanring3234.jpg

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On my crystal swan
5.gif
sorry for the three pics, i''m just very proud of this ring and wanted to share it with my friends
12.gif

swan ring.jpg

wavyhair

Rough_Rock
The boyfriend was eyeing a Breitling watching while we were on vacation earlier this year so I think I''ll surprise him with it for our wedding. I think he suspects, though...

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I had mentioned it to him a long while back since I had my hopes up, but I should have known DH better, hehe. I wasn''t able to afford the tie clip I wanted to have made custom (too pricey). So I got him a tie clip with his monogram, which he adored. He still feels bad about not getting me something, but he knows nothing about jewelry, which is what I was hoping for!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
We decided not to exchange gifts. I sort of wish we had though! I did end up buying him an extra wedding band (the tungsten one he really wanted but we didn''t agree on) to wear on occasion. Its a little big but he likes switching them around.

Quick threadjack...

Date: 6/24/2010 4:27:36 PM
Author: NatyLad
DH and i exchanged gifts but we hadn''t agreed on that! We hadn''t discussed it at all actually! But we both got a gift for each other as a surprise without revealing it! So the night before our wedding he presented the famous blue box with a Tiffany Notes ring in 18ct yellow gold! He had engraved on the inside of the ring: LLD for: ''Doctor of Laws'', since i had just finished my PhD in Law one month before the wedding! I had a pair of 18ct white gold cufflinks custom made for him, with his initials in greek letters! So when he presented the blue box, being certain that he will take me completely by surprise, i presented my own black box with the cufflinks, he, he, he
27.gif

Unfortunately i don''t have a pic of the cufflinks but i am attaching pics of my ring!
Is a LLD or PhD in Law the same as a JD in the states? You live in Greece, right? Just curious! I''ve never heard of a JD referred to as a PhD in Law but it may not be the same thing.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I got him a monogrammed pair of Tiffany cufflinks. He gave me diamond studs, which I wear almost every day. We were both pretty surprised by our gifts!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2010 12:18:21 AM
Author: Clairitek
We decided not to exchange gifts. I sort of wish we had though! I did end up buying him an extra wedding band (the tungsten one he really wanted but we didn't agree on) to wear on occasion. Its a little big but he likes switching them around.

Quick threadjack...

DH and i exchanged gifts but we hadn't agreed on that! We hadn't discussed it at all actually! But we both got a gift for each other as a surprise without revealing it! So the night before our wedding he presented the famous blue box with a Tiffany Notes ring in 18ct yellow gold! He had engraved on the inside of the ring: LLD for: 'Doctor of Laws', since i had just finished my PhD in Law one month before the wedding! I had a pair of 18ct white gold cufflinks custom made for him, with his initials in greek letters! So when he presented the blue box, being certain that he will take me completely by surprise, i presented my own black box with the cufflinks, he, he, he
27.gif

Unfortunately i don't have a pic of the cufflinks but i am attaching pics of my ring!
Is a LLD or PhD in Law the same as a JD in the states? You live in Greece, right? Just curious! I've never heard of a JD referred to as a PhD in Law but it may not be the same thing.
It is exactly the same thing but the "JD" is never ever used in Greece!! It is "LLD" that is used the most, especially in our business cards when they are written in english, coz in greek we don't have such problems, we all say: Didaktoras Nomikis, which means "Doctor of Laws" and we write (in greek characters obviously!) DN!

ETA: Now that i think about it there is a difference in the legal studies between Greece and the States! As far as i know, in the States and in Canada you need to get your major in something different, like Political Studies, and then you continue in Law which is offered by all universities in the post graduate studies program. After that, you may continue your studies for another four years and become JD (or Doctor of Laws, as we say in Greece). In Greece you start your studies in Law from the undergraduate level. After four years of studies you get a "Bachelor of Laws". After that, you can continue for another two years in a post graduate program that lasts two years. You have to take courses in a specific branch of law (i got Civil law) and at the end of the program you should write a thesis. Then you are granted a "Master's Degree in Law". After that you can continue for another four years in order to become a JD or-as we say here-Doctor of Laws.
And by the way Clairitek, you're right, the PhD term is not right, because a Doctor of Laws (LLD) obviously is not a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)!
2.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 1:11:17 AM

We decided not to exchange gifts. I sort of wish we had though! I did end up buying him an extra wedding band (the tungsten one he really wanted but we didn''t agree on) to wear on occasion. Its a little big but he likes switching them around.

Quick threadjack...

DH and i exchanged gifts but we hadn''t agreed on that! We hadn''t discussed it at all actually! But we both got a gift for each other as a surprise without revealing it! So the night before our wedding he presented the famous blue box with a Tiffany Notes ring in 18ct yellow gold! He had engraved on the inside of the ring: LLD for: ''Doctor of Laws'', since i had just finished my PhD in Law one month before the wedding! I had a pair of 18ct white gold cufflinks custom made for him, with his initials in greek letters! So when he presented the blue box, being certain that he will take me completely by surprise, i presented my own black box with the cufflinks, he, he, he
27.gif

Is a LLD or PhD in Law the same as a JD in the states? You live in Greece, right? Just curious! I''ve never heard of a JD referred to as a PhD in Law but it may not be the same thing.
It is exactly the same thing but the ''JD'' is never ever used in Greece!! It is ''LLD'' that is used the most, especially in our business cards when they are written in english, coz in greek we don''t have such problems, we all say: Didaktoras Nomikis, which means ''Doctor of Laws'' and we write (in greek characters obviously!) DN!

ETA: Now that i think about it there is a difference in the legal studies between Greece and the States! As far as i know, in the States and in Canada you need to get your major in something different, like Political Studies, and then you continue in Law which is offered by all universities in the post graduate studies program. After that, you may continue your studies for another four years and become JD (or Doctor of Laws, as we say in Greece). In Greece you start your studies in Law from the undergraduate level. After four years of studies you get a ''Bachelor of Laws''. After that, you can continue for another two years in a post graduate program that lasts two years. You have to take courses in a specific branch of law (i got Civil law) and at the end of the program you should write a thesis. Then you are granted a ''Master''s Degree in Law''. After that you can continue for another four years in order to become a JD or-as we say here-Doctor of Laws.
And by the way Clairitek, you''re right, the PhD term is not right, because a Doctor of Laws (LLD) obviously is not a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)!
2.gif
I did some research after I asked and saw that they stopped using the LLD or Doctor of Laws in the US several decades ago and now its considered an honorary degree but that the equivalent of an LLD in another country is a JD here. I got my information from Wikipedia and other places, so I could be wrong.

As far as I know from my friends who have gone to law school, they did the 4 years undergraduate degree and then 3 years of law school to get their JD (and bachelor''s degree, of course). Through some googling I can see that some schools offer a joint JD/PhD in law program.

Interesting how the courses of study vary from country to country, to achieve a fairly similar result. You are going to be a practicing lawyer, right? Either way, congrats on the neat ring and finishing your graduate studies.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
I''m getting him a sterling silver guitar pick that says "I pick you" engraved with our wedding date and writing him a gooshy note on a pretty card I found. I don''t know if he''s getting me anything, but it would be a great surprise if he did.
1.gif
I am definitely going to surprise him, he has no idea I''ve gotten him something.

m9521.jpg

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2010 3:06:17 PM

Date: 6/25/2010 1:11:17 AM

Quick threadjack...

27.gif

It is exactly the same thing but the ''JD'' is never ever used in Greece!! It is ''LLD'' that is used the most, especially in our business cards when they are written in english, coz in greek we don''t have such problems, we all say: Didaktoras Nomikis, which means ''Doctor of Laws'' and we write (in greek characters obviously!) DN!

ETA: Now that i think about it there is a difference in the legal studies between Greece and the States! As far as i know, in the States and in Canada you need to get your major in something different, like Political Studies, and then you continue in Law which is offered by all universities in the post graduate studies program. After that, you may continue your studies for another four years and become JD (or Doctor of Laws, as we say in Greece). In Greece you start your studies in Law from the undergraduate level. After four years of studies you get a ''Bachelor of Laws''. After that, you can continue for another two years in a post graduate program that lasts two years. You have to take courses in a specific branch of law (i got Civil law) and at the end of the program you should write a thesis. Then you are granted a ''Master''s Degree in Law''. After that you can continue for another four years in order to become a JD or-as we say here-Doctor of Laws.
And by the way Clairitek, you''re right, the PhD term is not right, because a Doctor of Laws (LLD) obviously is not a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)!
2.gif
I did some research after I asked and saw that they stopped using the LLD or Doctor of Laws in the US several decades ago and now its considered an honorary degree but that the equivalent of an LLD in another country is a JD here. I got my information from Wikipedia and other places, so I could be wrong.

As far as I know from my friends who have gone to law school, they did the 4 years undergraduate degree and then 3 years of law school to get their JD (and bachelor''s degree, of course). Through some googling I can see that some schools offer a joint JD/PhD in law program.

Interesting how the courses of study vary from country to country, to achieve a fairly similar result. You are going to be a practicing lawyer, right? Either way, congrats on the neat ring and finishing your graduate studies.

Well...actually i have been a practicing lawyer at the Legal Council of the State for more than ten years now...I''m not that young anymore Clairitek
15.gif
After i got my Master''s Degree i started working and i only went back to the university four years ago in order to get the LLD. I am 36 years old
14.gif

charbie

Ideal_Rock
DH and I agreed to not get each other gifts, just cards. In true Andy fashion, he gave me an anniversary card and cut the "happy anniversary" part out, like I wouldnt notice a big hole in the card. Its an endearing quality of his...giving the wrong card for the occasion.

But he also gave me a pair of flip flops that sais, "just married" and I''m so happy he did...bc I had no shoes to wear at the reception!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
FI and I agreed not to do gifts. He bought me a custom Leon wedding band, and I bought him a Tiffany''s wedding band, so in a way, those will be our gifts to each other.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
My FI said that he should be a gift enough for me :razz:

purselover

Ideal_Rock
DH really wanted to do wedding gifts so I got him a really nice cross pen - and he forgot and I got nothing.

Eta: ohh and after the wedding he thought he deserved a nice bottle of Johnny blue to celebrate so we picked that up too .....hmmm I think I deserve an extra nice first anniversary gift after that!

skye425

Rough_Rock
I am a long ways out. But, we are going to the Bahamas for our honeymoon and he has been needing a pair of sunglasses for a LONG time. He isn''t one to spend money on a nice pair, so I will! I think I will get him a pair of ray bans. He loves aviators, so something like this: http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/products/rb3025/l0205

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I got a DBTY necklace from DH with a mushy card and he got an album of boudoir pics and a mushy card from me.
1.gif

caroleena

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/25/2010 3:40:34 PM
Author: ts44
I''m getting him a sterling silver guitar pick that says ''I pick you'' engraved with our wedding date and writing him a gooshy note on a pretty card I found. I don''t know if he''s getting me anything, but it would be a great surprise if he did.
1.gif
I am definitely going to surprise him, he has no idea I''ve gotten him something.

LOVE this! Did you get it from a seller on etsy?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results