• Up

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Down

• Don''t understand your question :P

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
DH and I spent a good bit of time discussing this...and we can''t agree!. Maybe it''s a language thing (since my first language is not English)...but I still think I''m right...hehe

If you baby is in his carseat, and the sun is on his face and you want to fix that problem using the car seat shade...is the position to block the sun "up" or "down"?

Here is another way to ask it...in the picture below, is the shade up or down?

1_22179ZM.jpg

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
The shade is up but you want to put it down to block out the sun. Just like the shades on your window!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Mandarine, is this like the air conditioner question? Say you are cold and want it warmer... would you ask the person to turn it "Up" or "Down"?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
The shade is up in this picture, you pull it down to block the sun.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
You pull the shade down to block the sun. If the baby is in the car seat and there''s sun in his face, you would be able to see which way blocks it.

I''m going to guess this is a first time mommy question
2.gif

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Up in picture
Down to block the sun :)

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2010 10:23:13 AM
Author: Jas12
Up in picture
+1

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I hate being wrong!
I guess for me, since the position is "up", then you pull it up to block the sun, not down.
..DH......is. right.
there, I said it.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 10:26:19 AM
Author: Mandarine
I hate being wrong!
I guess for me, since the position is ''up'', then you pull it up to block the sun, not down.
..DH......is. right.
there, I said it.
haha, well just pretend you forgot all about the conversation then he''ll never know..hehe.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I''m blaming my broken English
3.gif

hehehe

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
haha, i hate it when DH wins an argument
9.gif

I agree, don''t bring it up on purpose, but next time the baby''s face needs covering just say
"honey, can you pull the shade *down*" and wink
3.gif

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I already sent him an email letting him know he was right....I rather come clean so we can let it go quickly...hehehehe

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mandarine, English is technically my second language so maybe we have the same problem...

I know normally when talking about shades, you pull it down to block, up to let light in. However in the case of that carseat, I say it the same way you do. Why? Because you actually have to pull UP the shade to block the sun and it is technically in a lower position to retract, so I have to put the shade DOWN.

I know what the girls are saying...they are considering that position up, and that you have to pull it toward you (if you were facing the baby) to block the sun, which means you are pulling it down.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I always say "Pull it forward"

LMBO

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 10:23:13 AM
Author: Jas12
Up in picture
agreed.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m with fiery - I say pull it forward or push it back.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 11:24:47 AM
Author: fiery
I always say ''Pull it forward''

LMBO

That makes more sense to me than pull it down so that it is in the up position!
19.gif

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
I voted ''up'' but and was thinking how could the blocking the sun position possibly be ''up'' but now I totally see what you are saying. Now I kind of am on your side!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
IMO you pull the shade down to block the sun (but it could go either way)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
now i feel silly because in the pic the shade looks like it IS down already to me (aka it had already been ''pulled down'')...is there some extra shade part i am missing? hahaa.

but i would say ''pull down the shade''...

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''m with you Mandarine.

I would say to DH... ''can you make sure the shade is up on the carseat'' to mean put the shade so that it is blocking the sun. Putting the shade ''down'' would be so I can get DD out of the seat.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I was on the down to block sun side, but the more I think about it, I think I''d put it up, like Pandora says. Its almost more like an umbrella than a window shade, and I''d definitely put an umbrella up. Or open. Could it be open the shade?

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
woohoo!!!

Thanks Pandora, Laine and TG!

Now I don''t feel like a total idiot
9.gif

It just really doesn''t make sense to me to say "pull it down" when I want it in the up position! ...up is up and down is down!

So if you guys that are wrong think it''s the other way around (
9.gif
), if you had the type of blinds that closed from bottom to top, would you still say pull down the shades/blinds when what you mean is that they need to be up to block out the sun? (like these ones)

Honeycombshades.jpg

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 4:16:33 PM
Author: Pandora II
I''m with you Mandarine.

I would say to DH... ''can you make sure the shade is up on the carseat'' to mean put the shade so that it is blocking the sun. Putting the shade ''down'' would be so I can get DD out of the seat.

In the context where we started the "argument" (not really an argument) was because I couldn''t see Alex in the little mirror I have in the car, because the sun shade was "up"...so I asked DH to put it down so that my view on the mirror would be unblocked. He said "what do you mean? it is down!?". I said: "no, it''s up"...and so it started! hehe

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
hehe, this thread is cracking me up. It''s something that would come up in my class (has lots of english as a second language students)
It''s purely directional..,

If you have to pull those shades (pictured) upwards, you say "put the shade up" b/c the motion is upward.
"putting" is the action, "up" or "down" is the instruction
So if you have to pull the car seat shade in an upward motion to see the baby, DH has to put it up.

In terms of the umbrella, yes you put it up b/c the motion is upward and the shade goes up and out.
41.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ditto jas. i think i would think of how the actual MOTION is. those shades are actually called ''top down bottom up'' as a product name...we have some in our townhouse. so from the top you put them DOWN and from the bottom you put them UP.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results