shape
carat
color
clarity

Vein Ablation?

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock
Hi, Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with vein ablation? Are the results permanent? Thank you.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends. I had 4 VNUS closure procedures, 3 on right leg and 1 on right. First procedure at 23, then both legs after first pregnancy and right leg again after second pregnancy. Some women get them done once and have good results for many years. I do have severe varicose veins inherited from both parents so my case might be on far end of spectrum.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My understanding is that the results on that particular vein are permanent as it’s effectively sealed shut. But obviously if you’re prone to valve failures more will crop up with time. I had a vein lasered (plus foam therapy in a number of others) and was told, I think I’m remembering correctly, that there’s a recurrence in about 5% p.a. of people treated. Aftercare for laser is much less restrictive than for foam treatment.

If you’re considering it for pain reasons, I get a lot less aching in that leg now, although still some at times, especially hormonal-related. Cosmetically, that area looks good a few years on, but I definitely have thread veins reappearing.

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock
baby monster, thank you so much for taking the time to respond as I'm trying to make a better informed decision whether to go forward or just leave it.

lissyflo, thank you for the information. I really appreciate it. Thread veins? from the vein that was ablated? I'm trying to get a sense of whether going forward will cause more problems than help. Thank you so much.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thread veins? from the vein that was ablated? I'm trying to get a sense of whether going forward will cause more problems than help. Thank you so much.

Not from the procedure, no. I originally had thread veins caused by leaking valves, as well as a visible varicose vein. Some of the surface, cosmetic thread veins are starting to come back but I haven’t got any new, visible varicose veins since treatment.

I knew recurrence was a risk when I had treatment, but took the view that hopefully it would buy me at least ten years or so of less pain and less embarrassment when I have to show my legs.

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock
lissyflo, thank you again for your reply. Really appreciate your time.

Q

Queenie60

I've had vein ablation recently. Doctor did one side at a time. Front right, few weeks later, front left, the the back sides. Mine was done due to ankle swelling. Apparently my main veins had collapsed and the blood was not flowing back up to my heart, causing ankle swelling. The right leg took well however, I need to have an additional vein done on my left leg a few months back. So far, the swelling is slowly going away. In summary, it worked for me.

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock
Hello Queenie60, thank you--your experience sounds good and encouraging. If you don't mind, since you recently had it done, how is the pain during and after the procedure. Scared of pain here. Thank you so much.

Q

Queenie60

Pain is not bad. I took a valum and some type of pain pill 1/2 hour prior to procedure. When you arrive, they will numb your leg with a few shots. You may feel a bit of heat and a little pressure during the procedure however, it lasts less than 10 minutes for the whole thing. As I said before, they do one side of the leg, four separate appointments. Post procedure, as soon as the drugs wear off, I was able to drive, walk; and the following day resume my regular activity. The worst part of the whole thing is wearing that tight stocking for several days in a row.

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock
Queenie60, thank you again. Your insight is helpful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results