shape
carat
color
clarity

Pet the miniature horses :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.wsj.com/articles/forget...iature-horses-1501004056?mg=prod/accounts-wsj

Forget the Airport Lounge, Pet the Miniature Horses

Training for pint-sized therapy steeds includes how to ride elevators and go from carpet to tile flooring without slipping

BN-UK172_CINNAI_J_20170724151907.jpg

Therapy steeds from a local farm come to the airport twice a month to calm passengers. PHOTO: MADDIE MCGARVEY FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
By
Shibani Mahtani
July 25, 2017 1:34 p.m. ET

HEBRON, Ky.—Nervous traveler Karen Rodriguez braced herself as she stepped through the doors of Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Airport.

What she wasn’t prepared for were the pair of 2-foot tall miniature horses, Harvey and Wendy, wandering the terminal to greet passengers before and after their flights.

“I must have died and gone to heaven,” said Ms. Rodriguez, 49 years old. “I just love them.”

The horses, a twice-monthly feature at the airport, are part of a program to help passengers with the stress of flying. The airport also has experimented with therapy puppies, and it holds monthly art performances, including ballet and Bollywood dance.

The horses, which live an hour away at the Seven Oaks Farms in Hamilton, Ohio, calmly pose for photos and stand quietly as children and adults pet their manes and coo in awe.

BN-UK558_CINNAI_H_20170725125842.jpg

The mini horses, two feet high, are popular with children. PHOTO: MADDIE MCGARVEY FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
RELATED

Lisa Moad, president of Seven Oaks Farm, said the idea occurred to her when she was traveling through Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky airport and saw a passenger getting “very, very upset” about a delayed flight. She thought her horses, which usually visit children’s hospitals and nursing homes, could help.

About 30 U.S. airports offer therapy animals, mostly dogs, though the San Francisco International Airport also has a pig. Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky is the first to use horses, a nod to the airport’s location in Kentucky.

The diminutive steeds trained for hundreds of hours, including on how to ride elevators, go from carpet to tile flooring without slipping and handle the cacophony of airport noise. Trainers dragged suitcases past the horses for hours and plunked luggage in front of them so they got used to it.

BN-UK557_CINNAI_H_20170725125842.jpg

The mini horses circulate two days a month at the airport. PHOTO: MADDIE MCGARVEY FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
Despite their popularity, the horses aren’t allowed to go to the area past security, where passengers sometimes have to wait hours on delayed flights and grow anxious and irritable.

“We tried bringing them past the TSA gates, but so many people wanted to see the horses, it was jamming up security,” said Ms. Moad. “It just didn’t work.”

Write to Shibani Mahtani at [email protected]

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness. So freaking cute!!! :kiss2:
Can I have one? :lol:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want one too! Do you think they would get along with cats?:P2

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I just love this. I want one too.

Annette

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughters saw this when peeking over my shoulder... now I have ro find some good reasons why we can't have one.

Can't come up with ONE :whistle:

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
They look SO adorable! I think I'd like one also.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
My daughters saw this when peeking over my shoulder... now I have ro find some good reasons why we can't have one.

Can't come up with ONE :whistle:

You can say that you don't know if they're house-trained !

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My uncle raises them in Pennsylvania.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just spent an hour tooling around the web looking at minis for sale. Missy, this is ALL your fault! Dammit! I think I could actually have one here... Is there horsey day care? I wouldn't want him to get lonely during the day...

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Deejay--- Il, is either the second or third state with the largest number of horses. I was so surprised when I learned that. There used to be rodeos around here and are horse farms and shows around where I live. I live in a small tract home. A few miles from here is horse country, where people have horses on their property. Its an expensive area in which to live, but I used to take visitors there to make a good impression of my neighborhood, (as if it were mine).
But, alas no little horses.

Anette

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I tell you that all I can think about is that these horses will become the latest craze and then people will abandon these animals when they're no longer wanted etc. sad :((

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aww, how sweet!! Animals are wonderful therapists!! And all for the price of a treat or two!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just spent an hour tooling around the web looking at minis for sale. Missy, this is ALL your fault! Dammit! I think I could actually have one here... Is there horsey day care? I wouldn't want him to get lonely during the day...

Yes well I can watch them for you now Dee since I am changing my daily routine starting the end of August. All you have to do is move here and I am yours to watch any of your sweet fur babies miniature horses included.8-)

CJ2008 I hope not! That would be heartbreaking. I am thinking zoning laws wouldn't allow just anyone to purchase one of these sweet animals!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So they're about the height of a large male greyhound.:appl: Adorbs, but imaging the POOPS of these things!!:shock:

Reality is zoning laws in most cities won't allow for farm animals, which I believe that these horses (tiny or not) would be classified as. Plus these horses though small, still need room to roam, and I wouldn't say they're cheap either. A responsible breeder wouldn't sell to just anyone I imagine.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love them! My grandson would love one. He already thinks he is a little cowboy. They are so sweet. I wouldn't be able to keep from going over to see them at an airport. I am a sucker for any furry little thing though. Those are just adorable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results