shape
carat
color
clarity

Allergic to my new ring I think?

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so I previously wrote a thread inquiring about my dry peeling skin on my hand and how it was between my fingers mostly, but only on my left hand.
So for the past three weeks I decided to wear a different platinum diamond ring and lo and behold, no dry skin. I thought it was bc of my new lotions that I've been using and using cold water instead of warm water to wash my hands.
Well, last week I started wearing my new ring again and guess what? Right away my skin started peeling again. Same reaction as before. I still wash my hands with cold water and lotion up afterwards so I'm thinking I must be allergic to the 14 kt gold in my ring? But it's not itchy or Selene, just peeling like crazy.
Here are pictures I took after wearing my ring for just a few hours.
I guess I will have to get a new setting sooner than later??

IMG_6354.JPG
IMG_6357.JPG

IMG_6358.JPG

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you get little bubbles? It sort of looks like eczema peeling, but I do have metal allergies, so yes, it could be one of those too.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Possibly metal allergy. Do you get the same reaction if you wear this ring on your right hand?

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you get little bubbles? It sort of looks like eczema peeling, but I do have metal allergies, so yes, it could be one of those too.
No bubbles. Just really dry peeling skin. I have eczema too but haven't had an outbreak in at least 15 years. :(2

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Possibly metal allergy. Do you get the same reaction if you wear this ring on your right hand?
That's a great idea. I'm going to do it now. Here is a before pic of my right hand.
IMG_6451.JPG

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seems like it to me...

I have huge problems with white gold, esp. 14k, myself. Many US alloys contain nickel (banned in Eu, though), which I'm highly allergic to.
But some EU alloys seem to have sth. different in them, that causes problems too, but sligtly differently. Haven't found out what exactly it is in an allergy test yet Also, the reaction is not the same depending on the body part, so I think it's totally possible that the skin might peel if the allergen is worn in a ring...
Sorry this happened to you with your new ring!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooo, ouch!
Allergy or sensitivity is certainly possible. I react to yellow gold on my hands, and only my hands, no idea why. I can wear it for a day or so, but not every day. But my reaction is simply the ring finger and those next to the ring turn black. Weird, huh?
I hope you figure it out and can fix it. But a new setting is fun, right?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a great idea. I'm going to do it now. Here is a before pic of my right hand.

Wouldn't change it for the worse ...

The conclusion seems certain as it is: only Pt for you from now on !

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seems like it to me...

I have huge problems with white gold, esp. 14k, myself. Many US alloys contain nickel (banned in Eu, though), which I'm highly allergic to.
But some EU alloys seem to have sth. different in them, that causes problems too, but sligtly differently. Haven't found out what exactly it is in an allergy test yet Also, the reaction is not the same depending on the body part, so I think it's totally possible that the skin might peel if the allergen is worn in a ring...
Sorry this happened to you with your new ring!

kipari, you addressed a bit of what I was saying, about how yellow gold reacts on my hands, but not the rest of me. For Kayla, me, anyone else whomay be interested, any idea why?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nickel allergy, I have it too. I can only wear 14/18 kt yg. I suppose I could wear platinum but I prefer yellow metals. 10 kt gold breaks me out. Also when I had knee replacement I couldn't do colbalt, it had nickel. We did titanium.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That looks like a metal allergy to me. I used to get the same thing plus blisters when I wore 14k white gold rings. I'm pretty confident it was a nickel allergy. I just wear platinum now, but I never reacted to yellow or rose gold rings. I also react with earrings, so have to make sure they don't contain any nickel.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a similar thing happen recently but with a ring I had worn for years. I suddenly started getting dry, peeling skin under the ring, no matter what finger I wore it on. It turned out that some bacteria had found a way to embed in the ring. Taking it to my jeweler and having him thoroughly clean it for about five minutes in his ultrasonic and steamer did the trick and I didn't have any more problems after that.

Maybe give that a try before you give up on the ring!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes! It looks like there are a number of us that have similar issues.
I'm curious as to what type of alloy Stuller uses. I have 14 kt white gold rings and wear them with no issues.
I also just got my JBG 14 kt white gold bracelet and don't seem to have a reaction to it.
I do notice that my Stuller ring looks unplated compared to my bracelet even though they should be both 14 kt. I don't like the difference in color at all and I wear a different ring with the bracelet.
I'm wondering if rhodium plating might help!?

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a similar thing happen recently but with a ring I had worn for years. I suddenly started getting dry, peeling skin under the ring, no matter what finger I wore it on. It turned out that some bacteria had found a way to embed in the ring. Taking it to my jeweler and having him thoroughly clean it for about five minutes in his ultrasonic and steamer did the trick and I didn't have any more problems after that.

Maybe give that a try before you give up on the ring!
Thank you for the suggestion. I actually have an ultrasonic and a steamer that I use to clean my rings and I regularly clean them bc they seem to get very smudgy fast.
I wanted to reset my diamond next year but maybe I need to reset it sooner.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the suggestion. I actually have an ultrasonic and a steamer that I use to clean my rings and I regularly clean them bc they seem to get very smudgy fast.
I wanted to reset my diamond next year but maybe I need to reset it sooner.
I first tried my at-home ultrasonic too and it didn't work. Only the pro quality machines did.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KaeKae , yes, looks like many of us are suffering from the same intolerances/ allergies...
I have read somewhere that the blackness issue might be related to the PH of one's skin. Maybe it takes some mechanical stress like experienced on the hand to conjure up a reaction? Just guessing...
The condition/thickness of the skin is also different and I observed that the thinner skin around und my neck got mainly blisters/ redness , my ears swell completely and get infected and the thicker skin on hands takes longer to react and usually there's some dryness...

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes! It looks like there are a number of us that have similar issues.
I'm curious as to what type of alloy Stuller uses. I have 14 kt white gold rings and wear them with no issues.
I also just got my JBG 14 kt white gold bracelet and don't seem to have a reaction to it.
I do notice that my Stuller ring looks unplated compared to my bracelet even though they should be both 14 kt. I don't like the difference in color at all and I wear a different ring with the bracelet.
I'm wondering if rhodium plating might help!?

I think stuller's standard alloys contain nickel and their alloy (can't remember the name) that doesn't require rhodium plating is especially high in nickel.
Not sure if rhodium plating would do the trick in the long run. It usually wears off fast and might not be thick enough in the first place...but if it can be a short term solution for you to enjoy the new ring, might be worth a shot (depending on cost).

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would stop wearing them asap to avoid it getting worse.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it itch? I have a nickel allergy and it itches terribly.. it looks to me like perhaps soap is getting stuck under your ring, but that wouldn't explain why you only get it on one ring.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KaeKae , yes, looks like many of us are suffering from the same intolerances/ allergies...
I have read somewhere that the blackness issue might be related to the PH of one's skin. Maybe it takes some mechanical stress like experienced on the hand to conjure up a reaction? Just guessing...
The condition/thickness of the skin is also different and I observed that the thinner skin around und my neck got mainly blisters/ redness , my ears swell completely and get infected and the thicker skin on hands takes longer to react and usually there's some dryness...

@kipari

I believe I've read about the relation to the PH of the skin, too. I recall noticing in the past the black turning up after a week when I had plenty of pasta sauce/tomato/etc. in my diet.

It's interesting how the reaction can vary, from one body part to another, I've never thought about the thickness of the skin playing part.

I did wonder at one point if it had to do with heat or sweat. I was at a taping of Dancing with the Stars. If you've seen the show, you know the audience does a lot of applauding. The audience is also encouraged to dress up, so I tend to go overboard on the sparklies :) Anyway, by the end of the taping, the ring fingers on both hands had black under the rings and neighboring fingers. I had yg on both hands that day. So, I thought maybe the combo of yg and heat? My neck/wrist/ears, also wearing yg , were not effected. But, obviously, they weren't working the same as my clapping hands.

Last edited:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nickle allergy would make sense. I had a family member that had this. She couldn't wear regular jeans because the button would leave a little round rash on her tummy. She started to put clear nailpolish over it and it creates a barrier between the metal and the button (or ring). Its temporary, but if you still wanted to wear it, you could try doing that.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did ask about replating a w/g ring the other day (due to wear, not allergy problems) and the jeweller told me there were two levels of plating. I'm really sorry but I can't remember the name of the process, but basically it was twice the cost and they said was thicker and would last longer than the standard rhodium plate. I wonder if you can get the ring platinum plated in the interim?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results