shape
carat
color
clarity

My cat went to the vet

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Ruby, so sorry to hear this news. I know you must be quite worried. Please keep us updated.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Update:

Mittens had his ultrasound. It showed some thickening of the intestine and small intestine. This means inflammation. They feel it could be inflammatory bowel syndrome. They have to do one more panel which they have to send away to rule out lymphoma but at this point they do not think so and that it is IBS.

Still has to have the echo. And if it is not a heart problem they will put fluids under the skin to get him going and give me an appetite enhancer to get him to eat again.

If it is IBS then she is going to change his food.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deep breaths - Mittens is in good hands.

Yes B12 can be very helpful w GI disease - one of my cats takes B12 injections every 2 weeks.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like Mittens has a good vet. The fluids under the skin is not a big deal at all. My dog has had to have this multiple times when she was suffering from a food allergy. Still sending you lots of dust Ruby and praying for good news from the vet.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Ruby...I feel so bad things are going better...keeping fingers crossed that they find out what it is
and that it can be fixed/controlled with medication.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for the good wishes.

Mittens' echo was normal. No heart disease.

So all in all very good news.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Well, it seems like all in all pretty good news. Two of my cats had ibd and eat/ate special food, mostly just novel protein diets, some rx food (for one) and other other a variety of novel protein food. It's hard because they could be a bit finicky and some rx food & some novelty protein food is not so stinky so it was sometimes harder to get them to eat. Sometimes warming it up a bit in the microwave would help. A fresh can would also do wonders. Both of my cats also had bad reactions to rabies shots and/ or many vaccines. Ugh. Also, one of my cats did get B12 shots at home first weekly for 6 weeks and then just monthly and it really seemed to help his appetite. Sub Q fluids just sometimes seem to really kick start cats into feeling better. I'm glad they do not think it's lymphoma.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Siamese, how did your vet make a definitive determination between IBD and lymphoma because they look exactly the same on the ultrasound? Did you have more blood work done or a biopsy?

Mine thinks it is IBD, but you cannot rule out lymphoma because they look exactly the same.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
When my cat first got diagnosed with IBD he was also diagnosed with pancreatitis. I know that there were signs of inflammation that pointed to ibd. The doc who did the ultrasound was quite experienced.. We did not have any more tests done to confirm at the time. When we had the initial ultrasound, we also had extensive blood work done to diagnose the pancreatitis. We put my cat on a low dose of prednilisone, Pepcid and started feeding him novel protein food..we never really were able to discern if he had food sensitivities or ibd. He did do quite while once we got it all sorted out. My cat did eventually get diagnosed with lymphoma four and 1/2 years later and the same doc did the ultrasound. My cat had lost over 2lbs which I initially thought was just the pancreatitis and ibd and the holidays, but the blood work had come back relatively normal for him. I believe that the diagnosis this time was due to actual legions that she could see and just her experience. We opted not to due additional testing due to his age and other chronic conditions. So I guess I am not sure exactly although I think that it was mostly inflammation for the ibd versus legions for the lymphoma. I was worried about mittens weight loss.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Ruby, how is Mittens doing today?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Siamese, Mittens is pretty much back to his old self today. The anti nausea and anti diarrhea meds are working great. And he has his appetite back. The vet told me to give him protein like turkey, chicken, tuna.

So breakfast was turkey from Easter. This afternoon I am going to boil him a chicken breast. His appetite has improved greatly and most importantly he is keeping it down. My daughter feels he is gaining a bit of weight. But to track his weight, I am going to pick up a baby scale.

His regular vet called and while we still have to wait for the blood panel to come back, which can rule lymphoma in but not out, she said that his ultrasound showed thickening but normal layering, which indicated IBD not lymphoma.

She is going to also change his diet. She said that there are foods that can track multiple issues, so we can put him on one that treats the IBD and the crystals in the urine.

So all in all I am very happy.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
That all sounds like really good news! We actually had an rx for cerenia, which is an anti nausea med that I was able to give Kiki at home and it really helped him. It was a pill which was cut and very bitter, so until I learned about putting it in a small gel cap it didn't work to well. But once I started putting it in the gel cap, it worked well. So happy to hear that Mittens is eating well and seems back to his old self. I hope you are feeling less worried. Thanks for posting the update.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Ruby, I saw your other post.. so now you a definitive diagnosis. The vitamin B shots helped Kiki enormously. They were very easy to give (I made my DH do them :Dbecause I did all the pilling) but he took them really well. Will Mittens getthe shots weekly for a bit and then monthly ? My SIL has a lovely Tonkinese that has EPI and he does very well. 6t5555555 ummm Max just walked across my keyboard! Oh man, that's big! WP_20140206_12_04_24_Pro (1).jpg

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad your kitty is doing better ruby.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad to hear he is doing better also and enjoying his turkey. Hopefully the right food will get him
on track. Fingers crossed.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone.

I have to bring him to the emergency vet for the shots. He is having his first one tonight.

Then it is every week for 6 weeks.

Then once a month for the rest of his life.

I also ordered the Pancreatin 6X which has to be placed on the food 2X a day.

And hopefully by the time I get there tonight she will have figured out which cat food will take care of EPI and the crystals in his urine.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The shot regime does not sound too bad unless Mittens is traumatized by visits to the vet (which many dogs and cats are). Is he? I believe that I read in one of your postings that your husband would be able to give the shots at home. Did he change his mind or did the nature of the shots that need to be given due to Mittens' diagnosis change?

I had to give my Newfie, Griffin, weekly shots for quite a while, and it was a good thing I didn't have to take him to a vet because he won't go in a car. (The vet has to come to us.) I was a phlebotomist (for humans, obviously) when I was in college, so I didn't mind handling needles, but I had never given a shot to a person or an animal. In the beginning I kept hitting my fingernail with the darned needle every time I tried to get it out of its top! But it was all a learning curve.

Good luck!

Deb

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I believe that I read in one of your postings that your husband would be able to give the shots at home.
Actually, that was me Deb, but I was thinking the same way you were about Mittens not having to go to the vet. I was going to suggest to Ruby she ask if it could be done at home if she were up to it. The needles are very small and when we did it, it was just under the skin. My cat responded quite well. Once in awhile he might flinch which they told us at the vet but for the most part it was easy. There are lots of vet videos too. The cornell ones are usually quite good. They gave me a lesson at the vet and my cat was not even there.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad things are looking up for your cat, Ruby!

I have no idea whether giving a cat a shot with medicine is like giving subcutaneous fluids, but I have had a cat that needed the latter, and was surprised to find that I was able to do it at home. Do ask your vet whether this is a possibility for Mittens!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, that was me Deb, but I was thinking the same way you were about Mittens not having to go to the vet. I was going to suggest to Ruby she ask if it could be done at home if she were up to it. The needles are very small and when we did it, it was just under the skin. My cat responded quite well. Once in awhile he might flinch which they told us at the vet but for the most part it was easy. There are lots of vet videos too. The cornell ones are usually quite good. They gave me a lesson at the vet and my cat was not even there.

Oops, sorry, siamese3. I didn't mean to put ruby on the spot although it is good to know that the shots are not difficult for the cat!

Deb

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
The shot regime does not sound too bad unless Mittens is traumatized by visits to the vet (which many dogs and cats are). Is he? I believe that I read in one of your postings that your husband would be able to give the shots at home. Did he change his mind or did the nature of the shots that need to be given due to Mittens' diagnosis change?

I had to give my Newfie, Griffin, weekly shots for quite a while, and it was a good thing I didn't have to take him to a vet because he won't go in a car. (The vet has to come to us.) I was a phlebotomist (for humans, obviously) when I was in college, so I didn't mind handling needles, but I had never given a shot to a person or an animal. In the beginning I kept hitting my fingernail with the darned needle every time I tried to get it out of its top! But it was all a learning curve.

Good luck!

I think you may be confusing me with another poster.

Actually, the vet never even gave us the option of doing it ourself.

Yes, Mittens gets extremely upset when I put him in his carrier and all the way to the vet. That is why it takes two of us - one to drive and my daughter to sit in the backseat and comfort him.

The stress could even explain his murmur because the echo did not show a problem.

I have never had to give myself a needle yet, but that could change if and when I go on insulin. The lancets are bad enough,

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby wrote:

I think you may be confusing me with another poster.

Actually, the vet never even gave us the option of doing it yourself.

Yes, Mittens gets extremely upset when I put him in his carrier and all the way to the vet. That is why it takes two of us - one to drive and my daughter to sit in the backseat and comfort him.

The stress could even explain his murmur because the echo did not show a problem.

I have never had to give myself a needle yet, but that could change if and when I go on insulin. The lancets are bad enough,

Yes, I was confusing you with another poster. siamese3 said that it was she who posted that perhaps you or your husband could give the shots.

By the way, many people find it worse to stick themselves (or to be stuck) for blood than to have blood drawn. So the lancets may be worse than an injection! They are worse for most people than having blood drawn with a needle! But I hope you do not need to go on insulin anytime soon!

Deb :wavey:

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I hope with the new treatment and food Mittens will be back to a happy cat with many years ahead!

My cats cry on the way to the vet too but I think they just don't like being crated period. Cry cry cry all the way there & all the way back but when they are home they're immediately fine:)

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
My cat is fine on the way back as if he knows he is going back home.

But on the way there it is so bad, I am wondering if the stress is what gave him the murmur since the echo was fine.

And now for the next 5 weeks we have to do it weekly and then monthly after that. And the emergency vet, unlike his regular one, is a half hour away.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'r talking about the B12 injections? There's no reason you can't do it yourself at home. One of my own cats is on them - I use an insulin syringe, and he seriously doesn't even notice. Definitely talk to the drs before you start stressing Mittens out for something that can easily be done at home. Not to mention the cost savings... I'd hate to see you get charged for an office visit and an injection every time you go in.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Oh, hi, ecf. So glad you stopped by.

So did you see my avatar. That is my Mittens.

And the diagnosis finally came through EPI Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency and IBD, which explains a lot.

She mentioned cobalamin (sp) hence the B12.

Also, Royal Canin Feline Multifunction Urinary and Hydrolyze Protein cat food which is being shipped to me in a couple of days.

Also Pancreatin 6X which I have to put on the food.

They only charged me $16 for the shot. But at the same time they are weighing him. He gained an ounce.

After the initial 6 weeks I will ask if I can do it myself. But then I would need to buy a baby scale to monitor his weight.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, hi, ecf. So glad you stopped by.

So did you see my avatar. That is my Mittens.

And the diagnosis finally came through EPI Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency and IBD, which explains a lot.

She mentioned cobalamin (sp) hence the B12.

Also, Royal Canin Feline Multifunction Urinary and Hydrolyze Protein cat food which is being shipped to me in a couple of days.

Also Pancreatin 6X which I have to put on the food.

They only charged me $16 for the shot. But at the same time they are weighing him. He gained an ounce.

After the initial 6 weeks I will ask if I can do it myself. But then I would need to buy a baby scale to monitor his weight.
If mittens lets you pick him up I step on a digital scale with a cat, note the weight, then step on without the cat, note that weight and take the difference. Do the weighing around the same time of day.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
That is what we have been doing. But it keeps fluctuating within a 1/2 pound.

At this stage every ounce shows progress that his regiment is working.

They have a baby scale that looks promising in that it can get a very accurate weight very quickly and even if he is wiggling. And the number will lock in so you know it is right.

After the initial 6 weeks, I am probably going to ask if I can do it myself and monitor him at home.

Funny though that they never even suggested it as a possibility. Probably because I was so nervous until they could figure out what was going on, she probably figured I was not up to it.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Ruby. I'm so glad to hear things are looking up. On the baby scale - my daughter uses the one below and has some issues with the wiggling baby. It locks the weight but she's had a little trouble with accuracy - just within ounces. It's a problem for her because like the kitty, the baby is small and ounces make a difference! Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Salter-914-WHLKR-Toddler-Scale/dp/B00009KX5U

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results