shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread 27th July till 2nd August

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And marcy -

Last week I got my hair cut in a whole different style. I have curly hair, and have worn it long for several years now. I went to a lady whose card says she specializes in hair design and asked her to figure something out for me. She cut it above my shoulders and layered it, and I love it! I'm so glad I let her do whatever she wanted, but I have to say I was really nervous. I usually a big chicken, which is why my hair got long in the first place.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
woooo hooo Degee for losing 32 lbs total, you are AWESOME!!!
36.gif
36.gif
YAY for new Pants!!!! You deserve a gift; great job! aw, about your sweet border collie
12.gif

Diva0413

Brilliant_Rock
Morning everybody!

Just checking in on this rainy Friday in NYC...

So I went to the gym yesterday and had a blast. I started out with 30 mins of cardio by combining running with uphill, speed walking. It was surprisingly refreshing. Then the class started at 6:15 so I had some time to get in some weight and strength training. I have to say that class was AWESOME! It was a 45 minute class, but we got so much done that I was exhausted. She did a lot of Pilate exercises with the Reformer (so painful, but good for you!). For lateral movements, she puts out this 10 foot ladder across the floor and had us doing jumping jacks with weights in our hands (but no more than 3lbs weights). Then she had us do this exercise called The Ali Shuffle. Never heard of it before but seemed worth trying and I''ll try to explain it the best I can. Instead of standing in front of the ladder, you stand to the side of it. You put one foot in between the open spaces and the other foot stays outside of the ladder. Then, you jump along the side of the ladder, while alternating your feet in between the open spaces. And with weights in your hands working the biceps and triceps. And she did other stuff too like jumping on and off boxes and through hoops laying on the ground. Yeah, I was exhausted. With all that, I think today might be a day off from the gym, but I''ll be back there on Sunday!

tlh, your salad sounds delicious! I''m definitely looking for ways to dress up a salad besides fatty dressing. I''m going to have to try that sometime! I''m glad to hear the yoga DVD worked out for you. I was looking for something like that as well to tone and strengthen and this sounds like a good investment.

bee, I''m sorry to hear about your friend. I''m glad you were there for comfort.

Hi Danielle! Don''t stress about being under 20 minutes. I think that you did a fab job! And since you were going at a faster pace than last time, that''s great progress!

Hey marcyc! Don''t worry about it; I found that I think about cake a little too often on my own. Cake and ice cream is my weakness. That''s why I don''t keep it in the house.
1.gif
The dress fitting is today actually, and I''m nervous and excited at the same time. I know I''ve lost weight since I bought the dress in February, but I''m trying not to psych myself out because I want to keep the weight off. For good. I can''t imagine what it''s like to have to review and grade so many papers in one sitting. Kudos to you for real.

Skippy, I love Law & Order! I''ve been watching it for like 15 years. LOL! Were you watching the original one or the carbon copies?

deegee, congrats on the major weight loss! And especially to the 2.5 you lost last week! That''s amazing! Keep up the great work!

See you later guys!
35.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
bee- you are such a wonderful and supportive friend. I want to extend out my sympathies to her family.

danielle - congrats on your time! That is excellent improvement! Don''t nitpick every detail... about how long or short the course was. I''ve run in races they call a short 5k and a long 5k. What that means is they aren;t exactly 3.125M. This is very common with a circlular course (IE not an out and back)... so don''t sweat it. They still mark it as a 5k (or in this case 2M), so trust the race you''ve been entered in - your new time to beat is 18:56. As you continue to run, you''ll improve... but you''ll never have any fun if you are constantly doubting or questioning your abilities. If it makes you feel better, leave your nike+ and the GPS at home next time.. and just RUN IT!

marcy- ooooo I LOVE BABY SHOWERS!!!! Enjoy the time with the inlaws, sounds fun! I''m sorry to read about your right knee being a bother. ***feeling better dust*** to all your ache-y bits.

skippy- you are such a doll! I used to love law and order, but I don''t really watch it anymore. I''m addicted to SYTYCD because I have a short attn span! haha! I hope you have a fun weekend with your hubbie even though your cleaning out the garage. That doesn''t sound like too much fun. Last time I remember doing that I was 16 and cleaning it with my dad. We found a bunch of stuff left by the previous owner (and we''d been living in that house for MANY YEARS at that point). Kinda funny, really old Christmas Decorations... and I MADE MY DAD put them up that year, and he sooo didn''t want to. In fact, I''ll have to see if I can convince him to do that again this year... they are pretty terrible! haha (think obnoxious grizzwald neighbors!)

deegee- what''s up my favorite disco singer in disguise? No, I don''t run every day. I take a day off a week, sometimes two if I''m working it really hard. I do some form of exercise every day of the week, it just makes me feel good about myself and my body. Congrats on your 32# weight loss you are a rockstar! You need to go out and buy those sexy pants and rock em out this weekend! Hello sexy buns and thighs! (wolf whistle!)

diva- your class sounds like a lot of fun. So glad you got so much from your workout!!! Yeah, I''m a salad nerd... love ''em to the point of being an odd bird.

Today was awesome. I got up and instead of running did the shred. Perked me right up. Today is my appt with the Dr. I''m hoping all goes well and that I get real answers and not just one of those "count your calories measure your food better" conversations. My husband already is dealing with a calorie counting obsessed woman... as he often laughs at me for measuring EVERYTHING out, and gets laughs at my cheap bowls with the measurements marked in them. (I''m not kidding. I buy cheap $1 bowls at Target or wherever, and measure and mark the point on the bowl that is 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup... and use this for dishes like pasta where it is easy to slop it in... when I''m too lazy to measure that out.) It does work... but we don''t bust out the plastic bowls when we have company, they might think I was INSANE. HAHAH! Other than not doing much than celebrating national mustard day with a mustard dish! I hope everyone else has a super fantastic weekend!

Albert Camus "You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life."

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
First of all, WELCOME DIVA! I don''t think I ever said that, sorry!

Yay, DEEGEE!!!

I tried to do some yoga last night thinking if I just modified some of the standing poses I''d be fine. It completely slipped my mind that in many of the kneeling poses and bent poses you have to hang on with your toes and the sole of the foot opens up. SO, I ripped open my cut.
8.gif
But, my back feels better
37.gif

I''m really disappointed that we won''t be able to go hiking for the second week in a row.
38.gif

Sorry for the fly-by once again. I have every intention of catching up!

Have a great day!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone
1.gif

This thread moves way too quick for me (plus I am in slooooow motion right now since I have been sick since Monday)... makes eating more difficult. I lost 5lbs this week but I think the sickness helped that out
3.gif

Anyway I hope you ladies (and gentlemen) are all doing well.

Please forgive my fly-by post
4.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey.......This has to be a quick check-in. I did go to the gym last night and I worled out pretty hard (leg pain and all) and I even got on the recumbent bike for 20 minutes. I was really beat by the time I got home and never even turned on my laptop. I had my PT session after work. The pain is migrating back up my leg and it''s making it harder to sit for long periods. My PT is happy with this and says it''s good progress. I hope he''s right. I just need this blasted pain to migrate right on out of my body altogether. We had sushi with a good friend tonight, then coffee afterwards. Charle''s off the whole weekend which is a good thing. We''re going to the gym tomorrow afternoon and we may try a new barbeque place we heard about that supposedly has amazing barbequed wings.......yummmmmm.

I''m sorry for not saying hello to you all individually. It''s after 10 and I have about an hour of stretches to do before going to bed. I hope everyone''s weekend is off to a good start.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi everyone.

35.gif
I hope you had a great day.We went to supper with the in-laws then wandered the mall for awhile.Marty got a new phone (it will work in Hong Kong but OMG would it be expensive) and I looked at little WG diamond studs.Lets just say “ewe”.
23.gif
I did contact Whiteflash just awhile ago for a price on the ready set to go earrings.
9.gif
I want a small pair (.33 to .40 ctw) to wear with my WG heart pendant that has my original ering diamond in it (its .15 ct).I am excited to finally buy something from WF.I hope they have something in that carat range for me.I think bigger studs would look kind of silly with that small of a diamond in the pendant.

Why am I still up at 12:30 am?I don’t have enough brains to go to bed on time.Marty is messing around with his new phone.You should hear some of the suggestions he has for the ring tone when I call him – he’s suggested Witchy Woman, Lying Eyes, Stupid Girl, and this one song about I Love You More Than You Love Me.Funny guy, eh?

31.gif
I’ll be interested to see what he ends up putting as my ring.

Skippy, I need to clean our garage too.I hope you have fun at lunch.My walk is next Saturday.I think I will have the bottom cut about an inch or two, I want the bottom even (right now the back is longer) and I want one or two more layers on top.

Deegee, I just finished course 3 of the Wilton cake decorating.It was fun.Congratulations for losing 32 pounds and tell your friend congratulations for losing 30 pounds.You guys ROCK!!!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
What little present are you buying yourself?Woo hoo for new pants.That is wonderful you found someone who knows what hair styles look good on people.Your hairdo sounds great; I need to find someone with that skill.

Diva, wow you had quite the workout!I bet you look amazing in your dress.When is the wedding again?I only had 15 papers to grade tonight; that was kind of a relief since we got home so late.Thanks for the kudos.

Tlh, thanks for the dust; my right knee is in very bad shape; it started giving me fits at the mall tonight.

38.gif
I keep plugging along though.Everything else is pretty good today though.I love your idea of marking the bowls with the measurements.I even buy the same kind of pasta all the time because I know exactly how many spirals I can eat for my 200 calories.LOL.I weight most of my food too.I am anxious to hear what the doctor says.

Somethingshiny, rats for ripping your cut open.Hopefully it wasn’t all the way and it will close right back up again.

Poshpepper, sorry to hear you’ve been sick this week.Congratulations for losing 5 pounds this week

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
even though it was a tough way to do it.

Rod, I hope that pain just migrates on out of your body. I hope you sleep well tonight and the pain isn’t bad for you this weekend.

Well, take care.

Marcy

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
bump

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2009 11:40:52 PM
Author: deegee
Hi - I hope I''m not intruding. I''ve never ventured into the Healthy Lifestyle threads before. . . you''re a very encouraging group!

gecko - I joined Weight Watchers in April, and I have lost 29.5 pounds. Tomorrow is weigh in day, and I''m hoping to push past 30!!! For exercise, I have been walking 3 miles a day with my sweet little rescue puppy. That''s about all the exercise I can do right now because of arthritis issues. The more I walk and the more weight I lose, the more I seem to be able to do. I discovered on Friday that I can get on my tip-toe on my left leg, and I can point my left toe. I haven''t been able to do that in 3 years (after a back injury and nerve damage). It hurts, but I can do it! My friends and I had a little ''dee can point her toe!'' celebration.

Rod - I''m with you on the leg pain. It gets really old.

Lorelei - As I lose weight and can get back into things, I have noticed they fit differently than they used to due to arthritis in my spine. Very frustrating! I''m determined not to let my spine rule my life anymore, and it''s not going to derail me when I''m trying so hard.

Skippy - Isn''t it wonderful when people notice that you''ve lost weight? I have found all the nice comments people have made this week to be very encouraging. I think a WW job would be a lot of fun, and would definitely keep you honest.

Well, I''m off to take my puppy for her walk. Unfortunately it''s raining, and she''s going to STINK like wet dog when we get back!
Welcome Deegee! Its so frustrating isn''t it with these wonky spines....Keep it up though it sounds as if you are doing great!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi everyone.We had breakfast then I went shopping and got my hair cut.This afternoon we went to lunch then headed off to a baby shower.Sad thing was the baby shower was a BBQ which we didn’t know.Rats.Oh well, Marty had some food.I ate raw veggies and a cookie.I had to go in to work for about an hour and just finished grading late papers then submitted my final grades.I am done with school for about 2 weeks now. Yippee!!!

Whiteflash called me about my earrings today.Oooh, how exciting.She is checking to see if they can do the round ready set to go in 1/3 ctw range.Yippee.I tried on a pair of “ewe” ones at the mall today in that size and they will go perfectly with my pendant.

Everyone must be busy today so I hope you are having a fun and healthy day.

Laters,

Marcy

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey.......this will be short as it''s already after 11 PM. Today was a decent day, with some bright spots. I slept last night. I mean I really slept. I haven''t slept like that in some time, so that was nice. It was a plaesant morning, so breakfast on the terrace overlooking the bay was nice. My leg hurt today, but in odd ways. Sometimes the pain was intense. Sometimes, it was really light. I guess that''s progress and what my PT is hoping for. I spoke with a girl at the gym this afternoon who has been going through something similar with sciatica and she''s been in therapy for a full year now. I guess the fact that I''ve been at for two weeks means I should be a bit more patient, right??? Anyway, after working out this afternoon, my leg was in less pain. I''ve been craving barbecue for a while, so we went to this place near us, that we''d heard was really good but we''d never been to. We started off with barbecued chicken wings, which were about the best wings I''ve ever had. Then I had beef ribs, which were fantastic and Charlie had a barbecued skewer of shrimp and scallops, which were really terrific as well. The service was wonderful and the owner of the restaurant stopped by and visited for a while. Everyone made us feel so welcome. We commented to the owner that Guy Fieri from Diners Dives and Drive Ins should visit this place and he commented that Guy is actually supposed to stop by sometime. The food was that good! I''m just going to have a day of rest tomorrow, except of course I have to do my stretches (which take me about an hour to complete) at least twice tomorrow.

Oh thank you dear Marcy. As you can see the pain almost tolerable today at times. I''m sure Marty had fun with his new phone. I love new electronic toys and still have fun with my iPhone. Do you not like barbecue? I''m sorry you could only eat veggies at the shower. How cool that you''ll get earrings from WF. I wear a stud in my left ear, but it''s not a good one and I would love to have one from WF myself. Someday, I''ll get a nicer stud.

Hey Skippy!!!

Hey everyone I''ve missed. I hope you all had a good Saturday and are planning a nice and healthy Sunday!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rod, i am so glad to hear the pain was more tolerable for you today. It sounds like you had a marvelous time and "good eats" at dinner. I do like BBQ but don''t care for brauts and I am trying not to eat chicken. I honestly wasn''t that hungry either since we went out for lunch. I would probably have eaten 1/2 of a piece of chicken if we hadn''t had lunch so close to going to the party. I am glad you are still enjoying your iPhone. Marty is still having fun with his new phone too. We were racing to see who could get different websites to load faster. We are obviously easily entertained. I am pretty excited about getting some studs from WF. I had a pair of WG PC from the mall that weren''t very nice but I find I miss them (I used them as side stones with a rhodolite garnet on a RHR). Sometimes I just want a simple, small pair of studs to wear especially when I wear that necklace. I looked at prices of decent studs and just decided I may as well pay a bit more and get some real sparklers. I hope you get a WF stud earring someday too.

Good night.
24.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just had family over for a barbecue yesterday; prepping is a lot of work but it was fun to be with family and I love seeing everyone! Hope everyone has a Great weekend!

DIVA, it was not the carbon copy law and order; it was a rerun though; I love the old ones best. Yay for an awesome class, sounds like you are doing great! send rain my way!

TLH, I only watch law and order once in awhile, I love the old ones, they are the best! I have not seen SYTYCD; I do like dancing w/the stars. hehe Oh I bet finding those decorations were so much fun!!! Yay for doing shred!! Oh I am big into measuring and weighing. hehe

SS, ouch to ripping open your cut, hope it heals soon. Glad you did some yoga!

POSHPEPPER, oh I hope you feel better soon! wooo hoo for you 5 lb loss
36.gif

ROD, hope the leg feels better soon, yay for sushi! I have been on a spring roll kick so i have not been going for sushi but we should it is better for you. hehe

MARCY, yay for new studs. The waiting to find stones is killer.
37.gif

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Happy Sunday everyone!

I had such a fun weekend visiting my mom and dad at the beach. Saturday was the PERFECT day weather wise and we spent the whole day at the beach. We rode bikes to the beach and rode to the next town over to get some italian ice mid-day and just really relaxed. I got a teensy bit of sunburn even though I was wearing SPF 55!

Today I ran in a 5k. This race is typically super hard as August brings on serious humidity in NJ and today was NO exception. Although yesterday had minimal humidity, we were at 97% at 8am today! Thankfully it was cloudy, and only about 70 degrees. My dad and I rode our bikes over to the race (about 2-3 miles from their house)and arrived about 10 minutes before race time. I was thirsty so I grabbed a bottle of water, but then was stuck hanging on to it during the race since I couldn''t find a garbage can. I really had no expectations for a time for this race since the weather was not ideal. I started out and just chugged along. I was surprised when I got to the first mile and the clock said 10:30. So I figured I was having a decent day in spite of the weather and decided to push it a bit and not wimp out! At about 1.5 miles, I was all of a sudden VERY happy to have that water bottle with me as the sun decided to make an appearance and I was really heating up. Instead of drinking the water, I poured a bit over my head for a little cool down. It really helped and I poured some water over my head a couple of more times before the finish. I hit the 2 mile marker right around 21:30. Miles 1-2 for whatever reason is always my slowest mile, so I was pretty happy so far with my time. The last mile I just concentrated on keeping moving, staying cool and finishing strong. I came into the final stretch and could see the clock was in the 32''s. I picked up the speed a bit, saw the clock turn over to 33 and was just hoping to finish under 33:30. I crossed the line at 33:25 which is a 1 second personal best for me! I cannot wait for the fall when the weather cools off as I believe I will see some serious improvements in my times! Getting better at running is so exciting!

Hope everyone else is doing well!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone!
35.gif

Skippy, how fun for you to have the family over for a BBQ.Did your cute nephew come too?When I talked to the girl from WF (I think it was Julie but I don’t remember) she asked if I was in a hurry and I said no.Hopefully they have something in their expert selection that will work.Of course the earrings will be a lot nicer than my pendant then what will I do?
9.gif

Danielle, I am sure the day at the beach was really fun.I buy the ridiculously high number SPF sunscreen and still burn.Yesterday at the BBQ the sun started blazing down on us (they had it in an open garage) so we moved to the other side of the room.Congratulations for finishing the 5K in a new personal best time.Woo hoo!
36.gif

I went out and picked up my team packet for the race for the cure.The big day is next Saturday.They were handing out pink shoe laces so naturally I picked a few of them up and will put a pair in the shoes I walk in that day.Generous Marty donated some money to support me; I let him know he did that.
11.gif
Tee hee.My mom is so excited to walk in it as well.My dad is going to walk with her.I took them the map today and gave her some pink shoe laces.

Well, take care.I hope you had a great Sunday.
Marcy

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi everybody! The day''s about over, but I''ll do a quickie post anyway.

I think I did a little too much dancing after I got off the scale on Thursday. Either that or the non-stop rain is causing me to have a lousy flare-up of the ouchies and stiffness. I have pretty much been off my feet for the past two days. And my hubby had to go out of town for work and won''t be home until Friday night, so I''m a little down.

On a happy note, I went shopping Friday after work and bought new pants. Woo-hoo!!! My husband made me take only the smaller size into the dressing room, and when I held the pants up I thought there was no way I could fit into them. Not only did they fit, but they were a tad bit baggy! I didn''t buy anything exciting - just stuff for work. When I reach my goal, I''m going to go wild and get a whole new wardrobe. I can''t wait!

I hear my puppy shreading something, so I''ve gotta go. Have a good week next week!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey.....seem''s I''m always doing the quick check in these days. Today was an OK day. I was in pain most of the day, but sometimes it wasn''t too bad. I did my stretches, and not much else. I really don''t have anything else to report, so I won''t bore you with the same blah blah blah.........I hope you had a great Sunday and the new week treats you right!

Hello to everyone and good night!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Deegee, woo hoo for smaller pants.

36.gif
I am so excited for you.Sorry to hear you are a little case of the ouchies.We can be sad together; my husband I leaving tomorrow till Wednesday.
39.gif
We can buy jewelry to brighten our day while they are gone.
11.gif

Rod, I am so sorry to hear you were in pain most of the day.

14.gif
I hope you sleep well and your leg feels much better tomorrow.
24.gif
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results