shape
carat
color
clarity

So spill! How many times have you upgraded/will you upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see a lot of upgrades on Pricescope. In real life, none of the women I know have ever upgraded their engagement rings or sets. I would love to get a new set after I''ve been married for 5 years. I think my honey would be fine with it. So how many times have you upgraded? Just curious...
31.gif

purpleshirt

Shiny_Rock
4 (one for pretty much every year of marriage)

but I kept my original AND all my upgrades except the last one
3.gif
This time I''m blissfully happy and for the first time don''t feel a need to upgrade again. it''s perfect (I''ve only had it a few months though lol)

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
I would be very surprised if I upgraded. My fiance is very sentimental about the ring he made for me, and I just don''t see him being okay with changing it. Who knows? Maybe he''ll feel differently in ten years. But he went bigger than he planned to for the stone solely so I would not want to turn around and upgrade it.

I''m hoping to get lots of other diamond jewelry from him instead.
2.gif

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
I have not upgraded yet but I did get a new setting for our 5 year anniversary which is this year. I''m quite sentimental now about the original stone so I''d definitely have to keep it even if I upgraded to something larger. It''s definitely harder to upgrade if you start out pretty darn big...
41.gif

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been married 24 years and I have upgraded 3 times, the first time after 2 years, 2nd time was at 5 years, the last time was at 20 years, will there be another one in the future, probably so, but not for a few years at least
2.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Been married for 2 years. I just reset my diamond into something a little funkier and am actually looking to change it back.
20.gif
I miss my solitaire and band combo, LOL! I''ll get something other than a stock monster prong setting like I wore before though.

I plan on keeping my diamond forever. I can''t imagine upgrading it, but if I did it would be much later on, like as a 20th anniversary present or somesuch.

My wedding band.... now that''s another story.
1.gif
Along with my switch back to a solitaire, I''m looking to have WF make me a replica of the Tiffany Jazz, but only 1/2 way.

And then if I get the itch to change something down the road, I''ll change my band.... not my e-ring. DH is only attached to the diamond; I can fuss with the band until the cows come home, LOL.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Wore the same ring for 19 years..... Then went nuts for about 3 years and drove my husband crazy with 4 major changes... Now I have a platinum set1.61ct RB with side Sapphire set and my new 1.58ct Oval Yellow Gold Set...Woo I do still have my original rings and diamond....COULDN''T PART WITH THOSE !!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think I ever will!

ETA: Never say never, of course, but I think I'd rather put money into other pieces (and other things like travel, houses, etc.) before upgrading. I don't think we'll ever have enough money laying around to satisfy all those desires AND an upgrade
1.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I upgraded twice and I love it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Just one for my 20th anniversary. There won''t be another "upgrade" which is not to say there will never be another diamond ring
9.gif
41.gif

cheers--Sharon

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
1x, although technically 2x... I count it as 1x as my original ER was WG and I broke out in hives, got a 1+ carat stone to replace WG ring, and a year later got the current 3.10 :) No more upgrades but I''m all for additional rings :)

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
I have upgraded 2 times. Once out of necessity, original stone broke. 2nd time out of want. BIGGER BIGGER, always after bigger. I would do it more for sure, but finances will determine if/when I will. I supect I will for SURE eventually.
31.gif
I''ve been married almost 6 years and EVERYONE in my personal life that knows about any of my rings thinks I''m NUTS for doing it. It certainly isn''t common, at least not where I''m from.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 5:19:38 PM
Author: Jenn5504
I have upgraded 2 times. Once out of necessity, original stone broke. 2nd time out of want. BIGGER BIGGER, always after bigger. I would do it more for sure, but finances will determine if/when I will. I supect I will for SURE eventually.
31.gif
I''ve been married almost 6 years and EVERYONE in my personal life that knows about any of my rings thinks I''m NUTS for doing it. It certainly isn''t common, at least not where I''m from.
Ditto here. I learned my lesson and now only gush on PS, LOL!

minebender

Rough_Rock
We''ve been married for almost 5 years and I''ve had at least 3 rings...can''t seem to find THE one yet..I really need to make up my mind.
19.gif
Luckily, he tolerates my fickleness fairly well.
2.gif

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
We upgraded once for our 5 year anniversary. Who knows what the future holds, but if I were a betting woman, I''d say we''ll upgrade once, perhaps twice more....
31.gif

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
Maybe its because I''m still working on my set now...but I don''t see myself upgrading. (And I think my FI would have a FIT!) He put a lot of effort into helping me find the right EC for my center. (And we went bigger than the 1ct we originally planned on to hopefully prevent this - in his mind) HOWEVER, he does know now what my full obsession is for diamonds, and we are already talking about RHR for our 1st anniversary, and a pair of diamond studs for our wedding. (One can never have too many diamonds after all! )
emteeth.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t upgraded but I''ve only had my engagement ring for a little over a year.

I go back and forth on upgrading my ring. Sometimes I feel sentimental about the diamond and setting, and other times I don''t care and I want to change it just to mix it up and go bigger, of course!
11.gif
I do love my ring, though!

So I don''t know if I''ll upgrade or just add to the collection. I do want to get an old cut diamond at some point, but I''ll just buy that and keep my original engagement ring for sure.

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
I have no even got my ring yet, but I plan on upgrading whenever it is financially possible. The ring my SO and I bought is basically a ring that we can get married with and be practical, but once we get more money, my BF and I already agreed I will get to upgrade. Although we went with an online vendor who has a trade in policy so I most likely will not ever be keeping the diamond (Only the first one, we bought cheap.)

On a side note, I have always heard this story from my mom on how my aunt wanted a honking big diamond right when she was married, but my uncle couldn''t afford it so they bought a big CZ and upgraded when they could.. Myself, i would rather have a real *small* diamond as opposed to leading everyone on....

1.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once...at 27 years...got married in 1980 with a .35 diamond that now sits in a halo pendant around my neck and now I have a 1.21 /.40/.40 3 stone ring with a 1.0 band. Dont think I will upgrade again. Although never say never...
31.gif

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think I will ever ''upgrade'' but I can see getting another ring down the road and always keeping my original e-ring. My dad has done this for my mom, she doesn''t ever wear her original e-ring but she still has it
9.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I have never and I never will... My hubby REFUSES to allow me to make any change whatsoever to my e-ring or wedding band. That''s what he gave me and that''s what I get. But, he will uy me more sparklies, so i''m ok with that.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Once for my Ering (24 years), and I'm done. I think.
9.gif

If you count pre-PS, for studs, 3 times.
6.gif
But definitely done with them.

Ava15

Rough_Rock
I''ve upgraded twice. The first time was nine years after we were married. The second time this year for our 20th. I still have my original wedding set though. I traded in my nine-year ring for the 20th anniversary ring. Oh, and my husband had bought me an anniversary band for my right hand prior to my nine year anniversary ring, and I traded that in to go toward the cost of the ninth anniversary ring. I love upgrading ''cause I love variety.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wore the same e-ring for 13 years. I broke my original stone in an ice skating accident last year. I replaced the set and then 6 months later chipped my new stone, so I replaced the whole set again. SO - 1 set for 13 years, and 2 sets in the last 1 year. I still have my broken stone in its bent setting. I pull it out, clean it, and wear it around every now and then. I can''t bring myself to get rid of it! I do love my new ring, and don''t plan to upgrade the stone. I''ll probably change the settiing someday, but not the stone.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I have upgraded once, and I don''t really plan to go up in size in the future. I just want a new setting for what I already have. Unless I can get ahold of a 2 carat asscher, which may be possible someday!
20.gif

icet

Rough_Rock
Sort of an upgrade. My dh proposed with a 1.5 RB which i was not too excited about (it was all about the pricess cut for me in 2004! he he)I never asked to change my ER but he gave me a 3ct asscher on our wedding day in 2005. I wanted to trade the two diamonds for like a 4 - 5 ct rock a few months ago but then i couldn''t afford it. I then thought about changing my setting (i wear the asscher on my L w/ my wedding ring) but then i got sentimental about both solitaires and decided to just keep both.
I''m pretty happy now with the solitaires but i never say never.....=)

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Never. But my husband never gave me an engagement ring, so I don''t have anything to upgrade. I have a plain platinum wedding band that will never change (barring disaster); we''re both hugely sentimental about our wedding rings. I do have several diamond rings, though. Two are heirlooms, one I just bought. I can see upgrading the one I bought myself. Wouldn''t upgrade the heirlooms, obviously. (Might change the setting of one of them--it''s not original anyway.)

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Once but it would never had occurred to me till I damaged my ring. Two months short of our 10 year anniversary I broke the center stone of my ering/ about .60 or so? Badly. Not really salvagable. He gave me a new stone/new setting and the center is 1.22 ct. I am going to replace the center stone of my original e-ring (baguette side stones) with a ruby, sapphire or tsavorite whenever I find "the" stone. Still wear my originial WB but on my right hand. Don''t forsee any upgrades but will always accept additions>
2.gif

Oh, and when I say "orginal" e-ring/WB - not actually true. Had both rings re-made into platinum a couple of weeks after getting married due to bad reaction to the 18K WG.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We will have been married 28 years in a few days and have upgraded twice. I''m pretty sure no more upgrades and I do have my original ER as it was a family stone.

Beaglemom

Shiny_Rock
Married 25 years. Originally just had a gold band. Got a .75 diamond for year 8, traded it for a 1.1 in year 13. Then for our 25th, got my 2.11. Still looking at eternity bands, can''t decide what I want. I might upgrade one more time, maybe for our 30th.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results