shape
carat
color
clarity

redesiging wedding set (family heirloom)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
hi everyone!
I need your opinion on the wedding set that once belonged to my grandma (memaw). while i LOVE the eRing, i am not crazy about the band. i was wonderding if a) anyone has taken old pieces and changed it to the setting they liked (and still felt the personal value of it being a family piece), b) what luck they had with the change and using the old ring materials in the new design and c) what you think of my idea to change the band into and any other suggestions.

thank you so much for looking at this!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
orginal set

withweddingband1.jpg

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
this is the setting i am thinking of changing it too (just the wedding band) - 4 baguettes instead of three

bar-set baguette wedding set.jpg

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
finally my last thought would be to melt down both rings, and add the baguettes to either side of the eRing - similar look, but with 3 (or two?) side baguettes.

any takers?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 12:02:30 AM
Author:jcarlylew
hi everyone!

I need your opinion on the wedding set that once belonged to my grandma (memaw). while i LOVE the eRing, i am not crazy about the band. i was wonderding if a) anyone has taken old pieces and changed it to the setting they liked (and still felt the personal value of it being a family piece), b) what luck they had with the change and using the old ring materials in the new design and c) what you think of my idea to change the band into and any other suggestions.
Are you asking about the wband setting? May I say first that the ering is lovely! It looks like a transitional cut and it's very pretty in a classic, elegant setting that will never look dated or out of fashion. It's timeless, really!

The wband, I like it as a set but if you dont love it, why not take the baguettes out of it and have them re set in an eternity or half eternity band, channel set horizontally, as they are now? That would look lovely and still compliment your ering nicely.

ETA: I was posting before you posted those new settings. If you're going to only change it to that setting with 4 bags, I dont really think it's worth the hassle or money because it's basically what you have plus 1 stone, same look. The eternity band I mentioned above is a bit of a different look so I could see it being worth doing for something like that.

As for adding the bags to the ering sides? No, I wouldn't do it. The ering is very balanced as it is so if you love it now, why futz with it? The only think I'd do IF I was going to do anything to that ering, would be to have new prongs put on that are less noticeable, like flat Art Deco style flat prongs, that would go with the era of your stone. Other than that, I think it's really perfect.

Re: re using old metals...I had thought of this too long ago with a family ring but I was told by several jewelers that it is very difficult to re use old metal and most metalsmiths wont do it because there's no way to know what mix of metals are in it, and I've heard its common for really old metal to be more porous or something like that? Maybe someone else can chime in on this, but I've yet to find someone willing to re melt and use old metal.

ETA2: Have you thought about getting your set polished and re-rhodium plated? That might give it that newer look and you might not want to change a thing. It's a cheap way to see if you really want to change the set or not. Just a thought...

K9

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with surfgirl - I wouldn''t touch the engagement ring! It''s very clearly an heirloom setting and has a ton of character. I also think the wedding band is lovely as is too!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
HOnestly, I love both & wouldn''t change either. What you could do is just get a different blingy wedding band or diamond eternity band to wear that would be a wedding gift from your husband amybe? That way maybe you could wear the new one (your own choice of design) with your ering or on its own when you like.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your opinions! It really does help

Regarding the eRing - I
30.gif
LOVE
30.gif
the original setting and really dont plan on changing it. adding the wedding ring diamonds to the side was just an after thought (trying to keep the pieces together). I dont think i will change the prongs, there is something about it being just a bit "off" that i like. But i will see about it getting repolished and plated. BTW it is Platnium, if that helps anyone''s thoughts.

Surfer girl - you''re right, making 3 vs 4, its still the same setting. i think i like it a bit more with 4 becuase it will make the diamonds come off a little bit more on each side of the ring (something about off symetry i like). There is an eternity band that i saw that i liked too, but i dont like the sides of the band (im so picky!
17.gif
).

The other reason on possibly changing the wedding ring (or buying a new one) is that though my BF swears up and down that i''m not taking away the glory of him buying a ring, i know deep down he would like to contribute to it. and i know resizing the ring doesnt count ;

bagseternityring.jpg

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
above option 1 for new wedding band

below option 2 for new wedding band.

I think today i will be going to eerobins or BBB to check out wedding bands to get some ideas. oo. or maybe tiffany''s

roundbagseternityring.jpg

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I love the set as-is! You won''t be able to reuse platinum. It would need to be "refined" (not sure if this is the correct term, but you get the idea), so the amount of "refined" platinum you''d get from a ring would be negligible, not nearly enough to make another ring! Why don''t you keep the wedding band as-is and just purchase another wedding band. This way, you keep both heirlooms in tact, and give your bf a chance to contribute?

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
NLCgirl - thats a good idea. there is nothing wrong with more rings on my finger :) I think more i look at it, the more i like it. its one of those things where you need people point out the beauty in things (which there is nothing wrong with that!).

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 12:11:29 PM
Author: nclrgirl
I love the set as-is! You won''t be able to reuse platinum. It would need to be ''refined'' (not sure if this is the correct term, but you get the idea), so the amount of ''refined'' platinum you''d get from a ring would be negligible, not nearly enough to make another ring! Why don''t you keep the wedding band as-is and just purchase another wedding band. This way, you keep both heirlooms in tact, and give your bf a chance to contribute?
Duh. This is your solution! Just allow your FI to get you a fabulous additional wband and call it a day...

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Dont change the setting!!!
1-Its a family heirloom
2-Its platinum
3-The setting is clean,classic and still very much in style.No need to change this elegant ring with a very nice band that can be worn alone if needed.
4-The setting you chose is so much like the other
5-There are many women that would lovea ring setting like this one

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
No no no no no no ... no "melt it down" ... no reset ... no no no no no! That is an AMAZINGLY lovely vintage set that almost ANYONE on here would go stabby for!
27.gif
9.gif
Get *another* wedding band if you like & don''t WEAR that wedding band if you don''t like it ... but KEEP it as is for posterity.

JMHO!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I feel pretty sentimental regarding heirlooms so I would get something that you like in addition to these rings and not touch either...EVER. They seem to go together so perfectly. What I wouldn''t do to have the rings my grandmother wore no matter what they looked like!

So set aside the band if you don''t like it--the next generation might appreciate it. Get something new that you want to wear. But heirlooms have too much history to destroy.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 12:03:43 PM
Author: jcarlylew

I think today i will be going to eerobins or BBB to check out wedding bands to get some ideas. oo. or maybe tiffany''s

I love your inherited set! I think that option 1 (above) would look terrific with the engagement ring. I like the channel-set baguette look a lot!
36.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
thank you again for the helpful thoughts. just to clarify, i feel awkward thinking that i dont like the band (especially since i love the ering) because i value the family value far more than the style alone. I think i might go with the option of getting a different wedding band - keep the original as is, and maybe wear if from time to time. regardless, i still have to have it resized. So who knows, after it''s resized maybe i will love it (instead of thinking... hm..should i be able to feel my pulse on my finger)

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock

okay, i''ve decided that i am going to keep the wedding band AS IS. but, with having to resize my ring i am not sure if it will be possible to keep the wedding band since it once had to be cut off. regardless, i am going to keep it. but, i am thinking about this as a wedding band insted.

any takers?
http://www.thefacetscollection.com/item.cfm?item_id=3764

thanks again for your opinions!!
35.gif

facethalfbag.jpg

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
I love the facets baguette band! I was going to buy this exact band for myself. I think that other PS-er''s have had really good luck with Facets jewelry. I think you made a great choice!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I agree about keeping the wedding band as is, and just getting a new one. What looks a bit odd about that wedding band are the fairly wide metal spacers holding middle bagette in place. The version you posted at first with four bagettes looks much better. Or, perhaps you could have two side bagettes and round stones filling the middle for more bling.

Beautiful, classic, timeless wedding set! Enjoy!!!
36.gif

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
I just love your ring and I think that the facets band would look lovely with it, esp. if you get the platinum re-plated, etc.

You lucky duck!
30.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 12:03:43 PM

I love this bar-set baguette & round band - that would l;ook great with the ering, alone, or all 3 stacked together.

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely LOVE the set as it is now! It has everything that I find appealing --
1) An antique that belongs to a loved one
2) Not too big or too small of a center stone
3) The side stones in no way take away from the center stone, instead they complement it and lend to perfect balance and proportions
4) Everything is low set and high-end looking
4) It''s in platinum

You won''t find another wedding band that looks as nice with the engagement ring as the one it''s been worn with for years and years. But, if you must have something else, then I would vote for the horizontal channel set eternity in a dainty size.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 1:00:30 PM
Author: decodelighted
No no no no no no ... no ''melt it down'' ... no reset ... no no no no no! That is an AMAZINGLY lovely vintage set that almost ANYONE on here would go stabby for!
27.gif
9.gif
Get *another* wedding band if you like & don''t WEAR that wedding band if you don''t like it ... but KEEP it as is for posterity.

JMHO!
I agree with the above quote & all those who say, don''t disrupt the current set. I like the idea of getting another wedding band in addition to this set. Just wanted to add (to an idea you mentioned earlier) that my original e-ring had 3 baguettes per side, and I grew to hate that look, and would so much rather just have the single bag. per side such as in the lovely set you have. So, my favorite solution is, keep the set as--is, and get another wedding ring if you like.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/9/2008 2:50:10 PM
Author: RxTechRN2b
I absolutely LOVE the set as it is now! It has everything that I find appealing --
1) An antique that belongs to a loved one
2) Not too big or too small of a center stone
3) The side stones in no way take away from the center stone, instead they complement it and lend to perfect balance and proportions
4) Everything is low set and high-end looking
4) It''s in platinum

You won''t find another wedding band that looks as nice with the engagement ring as the one it''s been worn with for years and years. But, if you must have something else, then I would vote for the horizontal channel set eternity in a dainty size.
I also agree with all of the above, and personally, if it were me, I''d wear the set as-is when wearing the e-ring, and if I got another wedding band, it would only be to wear alone when I wanted to just wear a band & no e-ring.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
emcry.gif
more ring dramz!

So i took it in to another jeweler today to check about ring sizing. It is a size 5 while i am a size 5 /14.(while i am going to get another opinion..or 5) The jeweler pointed out the ring is so skinny at the sides and bottom that i would have to add about AT LEAST a 1/2 shank to make the platnium stronger, and even then it still might be too fragile. His suggestion, since platnium is so expensive right now, that i go and get the ring re-done in white gold. Normally i have nothing against white gold (it was my first choice) after having this ring i want to stick to the same metal.

Anyone have any experience dealing with the same problem? now i am torn becuase i really like the setting. I wouldnt be against getting the same thing in white gold, but then again what do i do with the platnium band? also, i like the fact that it has been the same setting for a long time. I am considering getting a seperate wedding band that will match (and not use the orginal, since it is missing a section of the band and is even skinnier - i''d feel worse if i lost it than if i dont use it). OR - do i just use the diamond in another ring? I know i will always wear my wedding band but i have thoughts of leaving the ering at home during vacations.

also, anyone wear their ring that is a 1/4 size to small for them?

face21.gif

oh the uphand - they did clean the ring and now it is even shinier
35.gif

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/9/2008 4:37:35 PM
emcry.gif
more ring dramz!

So i took it in to another jeweler today to check about ring sizing. It is a size 5 while i am a size 5 /14.(while i am going to get another opinion..or 5)
also, anyone wear their ring that is a 1/4 size to small for them?
Since I just answered this in another thread, Iwill copy & paste:

All I can add is, I recently had a new head put on a solitaire setting. Somehow just changing from a 6- to a 4-prong head apparently changed the ring size from 5.25 or so down to 5. I could feel the difference immediately. It did go over my knuckle, so I thought, maybe I'll give the new size a try. But in the morning, which is most often when I want to put my ring on, it would barely go over the knuckle. It was such a dramatic difference from just that quarter size difference. Even though, technically it fit (most of the time), it very quickly was bothering my knuckle,and I knew it would quickly wear a callous on my knuckle due to it. I went back and they resized it back up to a 5.25, and it fits so much better now. I wore a size 5 (by jeweler's mistake) during my engagement, and almost always had a callous on my knuckle. For the past 5 years I've worn a 5.25 w/ no problem. Incidentally, both rings did spin at times, so the smaller size did not eliminate spin. And the 5.25 is in no danger of falling off at all.

ETA: My wedding ring, which is 4mm wide, is a size 5.5. It fits just right, but if my e-ring (which is tapered - 2.6mm widest, tapering down - in other words, a thin shank) were a size 5.5, it would be way too big. I find the tiniest differences noticeable. When I ordered my wedding band, the jeweler mistakenly got a 5mm wide band, size 5.5, and it was too tight to put on in the morning, whereas the 4mm band has no problem at that size.

Date: 7/9/2008 4:37:35 PM
emcry.gif
more ring dramz!

So i took it in to another jeweler today ..... (while i am going to get another opinion..or 5) The jeweler pointed out the ring is so skinny at the sides and bottom that i would have to add about AT LEAST a 1/2 shank to make the platnium stronger, and even then it still might be too fragile. His suggestion, since platnium is so expensive right now, that i go and get the ring re-done in white gold. Normally i have nothing against white gold (it was my first choice) after having this ring i want to stick to the same metal.

Anyone have any experience dealing with the same problem? now i am torn becuase i really like the setting. I wouldnt be against getting the same thing in white gold, but then again what do i do with the platnium band? also, i like the fact that it has been the same setting for a long time. I am considering getting a seperate wedding band that will match (and not use the orginal, since it is missing a section of the band and is even skinnier - i'd feel worse if i lost it than if i dont use it). OR - do i just use the diamond in another ring? I know i will always wear my wedding band but i have thoughts of leaving the ering at home during vacations.
I would definitely get another 5 or more opinions. After the runaround I've been thru w/ jewelers the past few months, I would not do anything drastic to that beautiful set without being sure. Can you post profile & other views so we can see how worn the shank is? Even if I had to get the shank strengthened, it would be worth the platinum price etc.. to keep it as is. (I feel like typing that the jeweler you spoke to is an idiot, but I better not; I'm probably spring-loaded because after the past month I feel like they all are...- hope I don't get kicked off PS!) Also, in interviewing jewelers the past month, I find that their answers not only differ from day to day & person to person, but their prices do too. I called 3 stores of a chain store, and they had very different pricing even in the same (relatively) geographic area. (Plus of course 2 different prices from the same store for same thing.) So it's good you are asking questions and getting more opinions. You will never get the same look that set has by remaking it in WG as you would keeping it in plat and just reshanking. There is a charm to those antique pieces that simply cannot be recreated, even if it was made to be identical.

ETA: I have a YG e-ring that has a very thin shank (it was that way when I got it 2nd hand). I am sure some jewelers would have said that I had to have it reshanked (or whatever the term is) 3 years ago, but it's still fine. Plus with platinum it should be even less of a problem. I thought one of the advantages of platinum was that it wouldn't wear away so much like gold can.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock

Thanks OFG - You definatly put my mind at a *bit* of ease. My boyf and i are trying to save for a house so money is tight to begin with, but then again this is our rings so its not like i want to use the cheapest way possible.

Here are some pictures of the side that i have. i hope this helps you. I also just called my appraiser and they suggested another jeweler in town, and they didnt know to much about the one i went to today. Funny enough, the one they suggested is the same place my best friend got her custom band made! I will be going over to them today.

With the ring size - i think i will have to try it on more to see if i experience the same thing you mentioned about sizing. I orginally tried the ring on in Florida. I''m from seattle. needless to say i was a bit out of my weather zone :) Right now it slides find, but is a little tight coming off - but not so bad i have to pull hard. maybe the pictures will help explain?

shankshot.jpg

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My engagement ring is very similar to yours and having tried on channel set bands recently they didn''t look good at all with my engagement ring. I think it''s because my engagement ring is wearing thin, it''s an older ring as well, so the channel set bands hit the engagement ring too high and made a weird gap. Not a pretty gap, I do like my gaps, but an ugly one. Maybe yours will look nice, but please try on wedding bands before you buy.

On the sizing issue, I''d get another opinion. My ring is WG and in looking to replace the setting I realised how expensive they are, at least $775 plus the cost of setting the stone, and the setting isn''t as close to mine as I want it to be. I checked into getting a WG setting custom made so that all the things were in right place but that was more than double. And platinum will be much more than that, plus, as you said, then the matching band wouldn''t.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
side ppic

ringwithbandshank3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results